ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Wii U announcement (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263592)

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 08:07 AM

Wii U announcement

November 18th!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/wa...-streams-live/

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 08:08 AM

$299.99 for the Basic Set
$349.99 for the Deluxe set

Deberg_1990 09-13-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8906135)
$299.99 for the Basic Set
$349.99 for the Deluxe set

difference between the two?

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8906138)
difference between the two?

Deluxe version is black, more memory, includes extra shit

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net...2m8W4qvIrdp2c_

Deberg_1990 09-13-2012 08:21 AM

Cant wait to see what the games look like for this.

Deberg_1990 09-13-2012 08:23 AM

Only includes 1 controller as well.....i wonder how much extra controllers will be? At least $50 i would guess.

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8906160)
Only includes 1 controller as well.....i wonder how much extra controllers will be? At least $50 i would guess.

good thing is the old Wii controllers work with it.

Deberg_1990 09-13-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8906177)
good thing is the old Wii controllers work with it.

ah....ok...very nice. didnt know that. thanks

The Bad Guy 09-13-2012 08:52 AM

When do Preorders start?

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8906229)
When do Preorders start?

Not sure. Hopefully soon.

DaFace 09-13-2012 09:54 AM

About time. I've been waiting on this thing for a year now - primarily because I want to move my downloaded games over. My Wii is broken, and it's irritated the hell out of me that I can't move them over to a new Wii.

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8906366)
About time. I've been waiting on this thing for a year now - primarily because I want to move my downloaded games over. My Wii is broken, and it's irritated the hell out of me that I can't move them over to a new Wii.

You can - you have to contact Nintendo to do that. I had a Wii break on me.

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 10:37 AM

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u

Deberg_1990 09-13-2012 10:46 AM

Not sure why anyone would buy the $249 version??

DaFace 09-13-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8906453)
You can - you have to contact Nintendo to do that. I had a Wii break on me.

Yep. And they won't on a Wii with Homebrew (though that wasn't what broke it). At least that's what they told me when I asked.

Saulbadguy 09-13-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8906476)
Yep. And they won't on a Wii with Homebrew (though that wasn't what broke it). At least that's what they told me when I asked.

I just plugged in the new one and got to redownload the games.

007 09-13-2012 04:31 PM

Considering our Wii has collected dust since about one year after we got it, I just don't see and real draw to this at all.

Deberg_1990 09-13-2012 09:35 PM

Pretty solid lineup of games

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/games?om_rid=AAJttQ&om_mid=_BQUf9$B8t5-vQz

YourMother 09-13-2012 09:44 PM

Wii is for real panty waste. You guys seriously need to get touched by a woman. The sooner the better. At this point i pray anything can be done for your virgin souls.

You know, when i was growing up guys like you would just get ur ass whooped because they knew you were bitchboys. Now you lucky that emo and all that crap is accepted.

Do yourself a big favor and don't talk about or be caught using a wii system. Unless you wanna be a limp wriste chunt for the remainder of your days

DaFace 09-13-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourMother (Post 8908516)
Wii is for real panty waste. You guys seriously need to get touched by a woman. The sooner the better. At this point i pray anything can be done for your virgin souls.

You know, when i was growing up guys like you would just get ur ass whooped because they knew you were bitchboys. Now you lucky that emo and all that crap is accepted.

Do yourself a big favor and don't talk about or be caught using a wii system. Unless you wanna be a limp wriste chunt for the remainder of your days

:spock:

Is this an attempt at trolling?

Fish 09-13-2012 10:32 PM

My daughter loves the Wii. Lots of great games for kids. I have mine modded running games off a USB hard drive of course. :D She navigates around the Homebrew software like a champ.

Gravedigger 09-13-2012 10:51 PM

Yeah, I'm not stoked about this system and I personally think that this could be Nintendo's last home entertainment system. They have the handheld market down pat but honestly they show up early to the system release party and by the time Sony and Microsoft come out with their new systems the Wii U will be ancient. The only games that would make me get this system are the new Zelda game, whenever that one comes out, and Pikmin 3. But then you're talking about 2 games... After many of the video game reviews of New Super Mario Bros. 2 came out for the 3DS all of them said that there wasn't anything new, I'd have to believe New Super Mario Bros Wii U will be the same.

007 09-13-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908636)
My daughter loves the Wii. Lots of great games for kids. I have mine modded running games off a USB hard drive of course. :D She navigates around the Homebrew software like a champ.

Hell, maybe I should do that to ours at this point. Maybe the kids would play it then.

Saulbadguy 09-14-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8908763)
Hell, maybe I should do that to ours at this point. Maybe the kids would play it then.

It's actually not that difficult.

Saulbadguy 09-14-2012 05:41 AM

Nintendo announced they will not be selling the gamepad as a separate accessory to meet demand for the consoles in the USA. I imagine that will change eventually.

Also, Amazon hasn't listed the Wii U for preorder yet. Kind of odd. They sent an email apologizing for not having it.

Deberg_1990 09-14-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 8908679)
Yeah, I'm not stoked about this system and I personally think that this could be Nintendo's last home entertainment system. They have the handheld market down pat but honestly they show up early to the system release party and by the time Sony and Microsoft come out with their new systems the Wii U will be ancient. The only games that would make me get this system are the new Zelda game, whenever that one comes out, and Pikmin 3. But then you're talking about 2 games... After many of the video game reviews of New Super Mario Bros. 2 came out for the 3DS all of them said that there wasn't anything new, I'd have to believe New Super Mario Bros Wii U will be the same.

Its ok......I look at it almost like a Wii 2.0. It does feel as if this system is playing "catch up" with the 360 and PS3 and not necessarily a next gen system.

Imon Yourside 09-14-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8908636)

Nice.....My son played/still plays the crap out of WarioWare and a couple of other games. Of course he's a little older now than when i bought it for him but I consider it $200 well spent for the amount of hours he played on it not to mention the fact he had to get up and move and dance and stuff which is light years ahead of the 360 couch potato stuff.

Saulbadguy 09-14-2012 08:56 AM

Best Buy preorder:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii-U/Wi...ef=126&loc=124

Huffmeister 09-14-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8908475)

PIKMIN!!!

Imon Yourside 09-14-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8908475)

That looks rather meh to me.

007 09-14-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8908945)
It's actually not that difficult.

found this site.

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...d-any-wii.html

any other recommendations?

The Bad Guy 09-15-2012 07:46 AM

Had a best buy preorder, which they canceled when I went to switch the store location pickup. Site had listed a location that was local to me as available, but it turned out it was a computer glitch.

Unreal.

jd1020 09-15-2012 07:51 AM

So why is the controller a gameboy? Is it for those times when you really need to go, making it so you dont have to pause the game and can continue playing while you are taking a shit?

Saulbadguy 09-15-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8911323)
Had a best buy preorder, which they canceled when I went to switch the store location pickup. Site had listed a location that was local to me as available, but it turned out it was a computer glitch.

Unreal.

I pre-ordered at gamestop. I don't really care for either best buy or gamestop, but Amazon won't have it for pre-order.

Saulbadguy 09-15-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8910975)
found this site.

When I did I used the Zelda: Twighlight Princess hack. That was a couple years ago though.

Imon Yourside 09-15-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

found this site.

I actually hard modded a chip into mine, but i've been told that trick works.

The Bad Guy 09-15-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8911436)
I pre-ordered at gamestop. I don't really care for either best buy or gamestop, but Amazon won't have it for pre-order.

Thankfully I also have a preorder at Gamestop that I was planning on using for re-sale, but now that Best Buy F'd me, I'll just give the gamestop to my son.

Demonpenz 09-15-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8909197)

sweet

Fish 09-15-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

found this site.

That's the guide I've used on several Wii's. I did that with the Indian Pwns hack. You should have success if you follow that.

If you have any questions about the modding, I'd be happy to help. While the modding is fairly straight forward, there are lots of factors involved, and if something doesn't work it can be hard to pinpoint what's happening. For example, on my first Wii, I did everything correctly on the Wii, but the copy of the game I downloaded was corrupt, and it caused an error when loading. I never considered a corrupt game image, and kept fighting the Wii itself, thinking that was the problem. I started the process again from scratch twice before I tried a different game image, which then worked flawlessly.

Good luck!

ElGringo 09-16-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

found this site.

This appears to be the same guide I used. I used Super Mario Bros. Brawl. Mine works great now, never use game discs, just load them all onto an external HD. Plus I now have a way to watch movies through WiiMC.

Deberg_1990 09-27-2012 02:11 PM

23 titles at launch

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...3bf_story.html

Nintendo announced Wednesday that it will debut with 23 games in its launch lineup for the Wii U.

The next-generation console from the embattled company will be out in time for the holidays. The games announced Wednesday are heavy on ports from other consoles and titles from Nintendo itself. They include darker, more complex titles such as “Call of Duty: Black Ops II,” “Arkham City Armored Edition” and “Assassin’s Creed III,” but also games such as “Just Dance 4,” “Epic Mickey 2” and, of course, “New Super Mario Bros. U.”

The company also named several titles that will arrive by the end of March, including “Wii Fit U,” “NBA 2K13” and “Mass Effect 3.” The console will cost $299 and will be in stores on Nov. 18.

Deberg_1990 11-16-2012 01:32 PM

2 more days...whos jacked up?

Buck 11-16-2012 01:46 PM

I'm gonna wait til it drops $50 in price.

007 11-16-2012 05:24 PM

just another paperweight in 6 months.

Deberg_1990 11-16-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9123953)
just another paperweight in 6 months.

It's going to be real interesting to see how the console sells. It's the first major console system in 6 years and obviously the causal gaming world has changed a lot since then.

I'd like to have one, just not into paying $50 to $60 for games anymore. I'm more of a wait a year or two and buy it for $19.99 at GameStop.

lcarus 11-16-2012 07:15 PM

Call me old school, but the new Mario on Wii U looks sweet. Reminds me of Christmas morning when I got a Super Nintendo and popped Super Mario World in for the first time. I was blown away.

007 11-16-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9124078)
It's going to be real interesting to see how the console sells. It's the first major console system in 6 years and obviously the causal gaming world has changed a lot since then.

I'd like to have one, just not into paying $50 to $60 for games anymore. I'm more of a wait a year or two and buy it for $19.99 at GameStop.

I love Newegg for new games. I haven't paid $60 for a new game in a couple years now. Of course, I have to really want a game to even pay $48 for it. The rest I just wait for the under $30 deals or the buy 2 get one deals.

Deberg_1990 11-16-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9124133)
Call me old school, but the new Mario on Wii U looks sweet. Reminds me of Christmas morning when I got a Super Nintendo and popped Super Mario World in for the first time. I was blown away.

Ive played the Wii U at target a few weeks ago. Its ok, but the graphics look no better than an Xbox or PS3.

007 11-16-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9124142)
Ive played the Wii U at target a few weeks ago. Its ok, but the graphics look no better than an Xbox or PS3.

you expected the graphics to be better? Really?

Deberg_1990 11-16-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9124160)
you expected the graphics to be better? Really?

Well yea....PS3 is 6 years old. 360 is 7. Are we maxed out now as far as graphics go?
Posted via Mobile Device

007 11-16-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9124341)
Well yea....PS3 is 6 years old. 360 is 7. Are we maxed out now as far as graphics go?
Posted via Mobile Device

Its the Wii. HOw good do the graphics have to be to play mario title.s :evil:

Saulbadguy 11-18-2012 07:26 AM

Will get mine Tuesday

SithCeNtZ 11-18-2012 08:40 AM

I thought about waiting in line for one, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. There just isn't anything to get all that excited about. To me, this is going to go the exact same way the Wii went. You get it, you think wow I can see tons of uses for this controller as you play the tech demo(nintendo land instead of wii sports), and then it never becomes anything more than a gimmick. There is one AAA title launching and not only is it basically the same Mario you have played 1000 times, the wii u pad is used to...draw some blocks? Awesome. All that time to find something creative to use the pad for and we get drawing blocks and other small interactions. Yawn. Sure, it would be nice to have one for the occasional great title like Zelda, but for the most part people are still going to buy cross platform releases on the other more powerful systems.

Deberg_1990 11-18-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 9127827)
I thought about waiting in line for one, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. There just isn't anything to get all that excited about. To me, this is going to go the exact same way the Wii went. You get it, you think wow I can see tons of uses for this controller as you play the tech demo(nintendo land instead of wii sports), and then it never becomes anything more than a gimmick. There is one AAA title launching and not only is it basically the same Mario you have played 1000 times, the wii u pad is used to...draw some blocks? Awesome. All that time to find something creative to use the pad for and we get drawing blocks and other small interactions. Yawn. Sure, it would be nice to have one for the occasional great title like Zelda, but for the most part people are still going to buy cross platform releases on the other more powerful systems.

Sounds like Nothing has changed.

Wii U = Kids and casual gamers

360 and PS3 = Teens, Adults and hardcore gamers

Scorp 11-18-2012 11:07 AM

Picked a deluxe one up this morning at Best Buy. Sounds like this is going to be the hot item this christmas. Glad to get one already.

Buck 11-18-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9127837)
Sounds like Nothing has changed.

Wii U = Kids and casual gamers

360 and PS3 = Teens, Adults and hardcore gamers

lol

Chiefspants 11-18-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 9127827)

What's disappointing about the Wii is that we never got to see it's potential until the console was already irrelevant. The release of Wii-Motion Plus technology shed light on the true capabilities, the use of Wii-Motion Plus in Skyward Sword completely immersed the user in the game's combat system. The wii-mote was the sword, the nunchuk worked as the bow, and each item was utilized by the motion system in the innovative way. The system went over so well that Eurogamer compared its importance to the groundbreaking use of the analoge stick in Mario 64. Hailed as the Game of the Year by many publications, for those who haven't played it, I'd recommend the game to everybody. (It falls just after Ocarina of Time for my favorite Zelda game.)

A review that still stands out to me was one that pointed out that had a title like this accompanied the Wii's launch, the system could have avoided the majority of it's shovelware and inspired third party titles to truly pursue the console's limits, and many reviewers lamented that this title had to arise months after the Wii was declared a dead console (Thereby limiting its sales and userbase.)

Applying this analysis to the Wii U, the question becomes whether the Wii U has launched with games that go the extra mile to explore its potential. If it does, third parties could jump on and we could see truly innovative and enjoyable content with the system, but, if not, we could see a rehash of the shovelware laden gimmicks that plagued the Wii.

DaveNull 11-19-2012 05:28 PM

I've got a Wii, but no PS3 or Xbox360. I'm thinking of acquiring one of the latter at some point but don't have any interest in the WiiU.

Perhaps if it ended up having the juice to push stuff like Madden or GTA I would, but after amassing a stack of worthless Wii games I'm done with that.

/too old for this shit.

DaveNull 11-19-2012 05:31 PM

Oh...and $350 for a new 360 with Halo 4 or $300 for a PS3 with Assassin's Creed still seems overpriced to me for consoles that have been out for this long.

If either was $150 I'd have one of either by now.

kcxiv 11-19-2012 06:39 PM

buy the cheap xbox the 199 priced 4gb model and put in an old laptop hard drive for extra space. thats what i did. I now have a 320 gig hard drive in my xbox and the cost of the drive was an old dead laptop. Its pretty ****ing easy to flash the hard drive using a computer. Took me 10 min to figure it out.

All you need is a usb flash drive a computer and an old laptop hard drive.

Gravedigger 11-20-2012 01:37 AM

I went to Walmart at 1130pm on Saturday night getting some bathroom supplies when I remembered that it was Wii U launch day. I had a good amount of expendable income for once and I really thought that since I was going to get one eventually when Pikmin and a new Zelda come out that I should just snag it now and I can play Wii games on it till the good stuff comes out. But then I thought about it, and honestly, this Wii U feels just like the last one. Not alot of launch flare besides one or two games, but this launch doesn't have Zelda which I think they should've put more work into Skyward Sword and made it a Wii U launch title instead of release it on a dead system. New Super Mario Bros. looks like the same old same old just with new levels and a new gimmick with the touch pad. I feel like Nintendo doesn't try to make their games great anymore, they just try to sell the system. You can blame it on third party support, but it got that way for a reason. Nintendo has really fallen of the edge and I'm pretty sure they'll go the route of Sega in the next five to ten years.

Swanman 11-20-2012 08:59 AM

I picked one up at midnight on Saturday. It's a fun console. The gamepad is really different but I am getting used to it. I played a bit of Nintendoland and it had some fun mini-games that showed off the gamepad. ZombiU was pretty cool but hard as hell as well as ultraviolent (which I like). I played some Black Ops 2 on the Wii U last night and I really liked it. I bought one of their "pro" controllers which is basically a 360 controller clone. The nice part of the Wii U is that it will be able to port over a lot of the big titles for the time being until PS4 and 720 come out, and they will always have the Zelda and Mario franchises.

Chiefspants 11-20-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9135989)
I picked one up at midnight on Saturday. It's a fun console. The gamepad is really different but I am getting used to it. I played a bit of Nintendoland and it had some fun mini-games that showed off the gamepad. ZombiU was pretty cool but hard as hell as well as ultraviolent (which I like). I played some Black Ops 2 on the Wii U last night and I really liked it. I bought one of their "pro" controllers which is basically a 360 controller clone. The nice part of the Wii U is that it will be able to port over a lot of the big titles for the time being until PS4 and 720 come out, and they will always have the Zelda and Mario franchises.

The big question will be whether they can maintain these ports once the other consoles arrive.

lcarus 11-20-2012 11:23 AM

My brother got one at launch and got Mario with it. It's fun but overall I got bored with it after 15 minutes or so. That ZombiU game is gettign some pretty average reviews.

Saulbadguy 11-21-2012 07:03 AM

so far, it seems pretty cool. I dunno.

Swanman 11-21-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9136357)
The big question will be whether they can maintain these ports once the other consoles arrive.

They probably won't so at that point it would switch to current gen exclusive titles. Nintendo can afford to do that with the multiple popular exclusive franchises.

Kidd Lex 11-21-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9136364)
My brother got one at launch and got Mario with it. It's fun but overall I got bored with it after 15 minutes or so. That ZombiU game is gettign some pretty average reviews.

So $350 for 15 minutes is $1400 per entertainment hour.

Average movie $10 for 2 hours so $5 per entertainment hour.

Black Ops 2 $60 for 60 hours so $1 per entertainment hour.

Skyrim $60 for 120 hours $.50 per entertainment hour.

Free XXX Videos for unlimited playtime "Priceless" per entertainment hour.

I'll be back in 2 minutes...need some quality entertainment time...:thumb:

Deberg_1990 11-21-2012 01:08 PM

Homebrewers claiming they have already jailbroken the device

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/21/wii_u_hack/

squad of techies claim they've cracked Nintendo's anti-piracy defences in the Wii U days after the games console hit US shelves.

The hack, the gaming equivalent of jail-breaking, allows home-made games, pirate copies of titles and other unauthorised software to run on the Wii U, according to wiiuhacks.com. The attack appears to involve exploiting security holes in old Wii games when a Wii U is running in legacy Wii mode.

The team has compiled a list of authorised games that can be hijacked to launch unofficial titles.

The group has also produced a seven-minute video of what appears to be a Wii U playing homebrew games after running the "Smash Stack" exploit from a disc. Nintendo, like other console makers, locks down its machines so, in theory, they can only play cryptographically signed software; hackers usually have to exploit security holes in the system or endorsed games to defeat these protections.

Chris Boyd AKA PaperGhost, a senior threat researcher at GFI Software and an expert in gaming security, said major Wii homebrew communities such as wiiubrew.org are yet to hack the Wii U.

"We have not been successful in running homebrew on the Nintendo Wii U. But running code in Wii Mode is possible," wiiubrew.org stated.

"It's the same story elsewhere, even on sites with dedicated modding and homebrew sections," according to Boyd.

He added that it's one thing to get old exploits working in legacy Wii mode, but another to develop exploits for vulnerabilities exclusively present in new Wii U systems. He is cautious of the wiiuhacks.com team's boasts.

"There is one video on YouTube where the uploader claims to be successfully running homebrew on the Wii U using an older exploit designed to load unauthorised code on the original Wii console, but I've no way of verifying if the video is genuine," Boyd told El Reg.

"Additionally, there are groups picking through the back catalogue of programs and exploits from the original Wii - some of which no longer work on certain versions of system menu - to see if they can uncover a blind spot in the new console."

The Wii U console is backwards compatible with most Wii games and accessories, which explains why older exploits for the previous console still work, up to a point, on the next-generation machine.

Nintendo pushed a firmware update to Wii U consoles less than a day after the system went on sale on Sunday in the US. The sizeable upgrade does not block the Wii U Smash Stack exploit, but future updates could, wiiuhacks.com warned. Attempts to interrupt the lengthy Wii U update process once it starts can leave the console as useful as a squishy brick, as Nintendo itself advised.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RBQG8As7Rs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcxiv 11-21-2012 05:59 PM

i kind of want one. i want to play that new mario brothers. Never got a wii, so i also wanna go back n play the zelda games.

Chiefspants 11-21-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9140069)
i kind of want one. i want to play that new mario brothers. Never got a wii, so i also wanna go back n play the zelda games.

Skyward Sword alone makes it worth the purchase.

kcxiv 11-21-2012 06:04 PM

Thats what i hear, this wiiu snuck up on me, i was gonna put a little cash away and get me one, but i totally just forgot, didnt pay much attention to the release. lol Now that xmas is coming andi have alot of nieces and nephews, no way right now which sucks.

Deberg_1990 11-26-2012 07:37 AM

Snagged a Deluxe unit from my local Toys R Us yesterday. I figured i would surprise my kids on Christmas morning. Im kinda excited to open it up.

Imon Yourside 11-26-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9139513)
Homebrewers claiming they have already jailbroken the device

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/21/wii_u_hack/

squad of techies claim they've cracked Nintendo's anti-piracy defences in the Wii U days after the games console hit US shelves.

The hack, the gaming equivalent of jail-breaking, allows home-made games, pirate copies of titles and other unauthorised software to run on the Wii U, according to wiiuhacks.com. The attack appears to involve exploiting security holes in old Wii games when a Wii U is running in legacy Wii mode.

The team has compiled a list of authorised games that can be hijacked to launch unofficial titles.

The group has also produced a seven-minute video of what appears to be a Wii U playing homebrew games after running the "Smash Stack" exploit from a disc. Nintendo, like other console makers, locks down its machines so, in theory, they can only play cryptographically signed software; hackers usually have to exploit security holes in the system or endorsed games to defeat these protections.

Chris Boyd AKA PaperGhost, a senior threat researcher at GFI Software and an expert in gaming security, said major Wii homebrew communities such as wiiubrew.org are yet to hack the Wii U.

"We have not been successful in running homebrew on the Nintendo Wii U. But running code in Wii Mode is possible," wiiubrew.org stated.

"It's the same story elsewhere, even on sites with dedicated modding and homebrew sections," according to Boyd.

He added that it's one thing to get old exploits working in legacy Wii mode, but another to develop exploits for vulnerabilities exclusively present in new Wii U systems. He is cautious of the wiiuhacks.com team's boasts.

"There is one video on YouTube where the uploader claims to be successfully running homebrew on the Wii U using an older exploit designed to load unauthorised code on the original Wii console, but I've no way of verifying if the video is genuine," Boyd told El Reg.

"Additionally, there are groups picking through the back catalogue of programs and exploits from the original Wii - some of which no longer work on certain versions of system menu - to see if they can uncover a blind spot in the new console."

The Wii U console is backwards compatible with most Wii games and accessories, which explains why older exploits for the previous console still work, up to a point, on the next-generation machine.

Nintendo pushed a firmware update to Wii U consoles less than a day after the system went on sale on Sunday in the US. The sizeable upgrade does not block the Wii U Smash Stack exploit, but future updates could, wiiuhacks.com warned. Attempts to interrupt the lengthy Wii U update process once it starts can leave the console as useful as a squishy brick, as Nintendo itself advised.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RBQG8As7Rs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This might make it worth the purchase, son no longer touches the Wii though other than a very rare Warioware game.

alpha_omega 11-26-2012 03:57 PM

Just wrapped one up for the kid. I really don't want to wait until Christmas day to open it up...but i just have to remind myself that i didn't buy it for me. Color me excited.

Deberg_1990 12-21-2012 07:14 AM

TVii went live yesterday.....anyone try it out yet?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/20/n...live/#comments

Nintendo TVii is now available on the Wii U, arriving right on time with Nintendo's 24-hour window of "December 20." The service -- which promises to unify the console's disparate media services under a single application, dubbed "TVii" -- doesn't yet support the promised TiVo or Netflix integration it was announced with, but the former is said to arrive in January, while the latter is expected in "early 2013." To start using it, just turn on your Wii U and select Nintendo TVii -- if you're already all up in Acorn Plains with your Raccoon Suit on, just head into the Home menu. Also, maybe take off that Raccoon Suit you're wearing before the family gets home.

Deberg_1990 12-26-2012 10:42 AM

So we busted this open yesterday of course and been playing it. Pretty cool.

The only thing I have some complaints about is the battery life of the game pad. Only last about 2 1/2 hours on a full charge. Can't wait to see how future games utilize the game pad. We only have two games right now. Nintendoland and Skylanders.

Anyone else recommend anything?

Saulbadguy 12-26-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9241592)
So we busted this open yesterday of course and been playing it. Pretty cool.

The only thing I have some complaints about is the battery life of the game pad. Only last about 2 1/2 hours on a full charge. Can't wait to see how future games utilize the game pad. We only have two games right now. Nintendoland and Skylanders.

Anyone else recommend anything?

mario

Deberg_1990 01-23-2013 11:06 AM

Wii U getting a system update to speed up the interface. Lots of people have complained about the slow system speeds.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/23/w...ystem-updates/

Also some announcements about upcoming games

http://www.slashgear.com/watch-ninte...gain-23266437/

Deberg_1990 01-31-2013 10:24 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...ales.html?_r=0

UH oh......Wii U not selling as well as anticipated. They need more games.

htismaqe 01-31-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9367290)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...ales.html?_r=0

UH oh......Wii U not selling as well as anticipated. They need more games.

They need BETTER games. And the need to do a better job leveraging the hardware.

Some of the titles out so far (yes, I'm looking at you Zombie U) are just ****ing awful.

And the seemingly cobbled together support (in most games) for the gamepad screen and other "selling points" are shameful.

Sure, there's a couple of GREAT games but overall the Wii U experience has been thoroughly underwhelming.