ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Let's talk about "true fans" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272743)

DaFace 05-03-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9655172)
Not sure how I feel about this statement... there are a lot of fans who talk about simply making the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 like it's some significant accomplishment, those who don't seem to understand that the upside to finding the next great QB is worth possibly drafting a couple of turds, and those who talk about needing to protect the QB like it's a one way street and a QB can't possibly be successful without a great line (as opposed to a QB making his O-Line look better than they really are).

However, like you said in the OP, it's become cliché, and not everyone who's giving Alex Smith a chance necessarily agrees with every retread move they've ever made and not everyone who falls into group 2 or even 3 is a true fan, by definition.

I can't speak for others, but my personal opinion isn't that it's a significant accomplishment to go 9-7 or 10-6, but that you need to get to that point before you can really hope to start competing every year. I doubt there are a ton of teams that go from 2-14 to 14-2 back to back (though I know a handful have done close to that).

For me, Alex is a stabilizer that will help to 1) let our young guys get practice with a real-live NFL team and 2) make us somewhat more attractive because there is a CHANCE we'll actually compete.

Hammock Parties 05-03-2013 01:44 PM

No room for realists?

Rain Man 05-03-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9655227)
No room for realists?

I think those are included in naysayers.

morphius 05-03-2013 01:53 PM

It is hard to place myself. In general I'm pessimistic, but willing to wait and see. I didn't like the Cassel trade, but cheered for him anyway, but knew pretty quickly in his 3rd year that we HAD to move on. I didn't like trading for Smith, but I'll cheer for him to succeed. Hate taking a LT/RT at the first pick in the draft, but understand that this years draft was weak. Watching all the naysayers makes me feel better about the team and occasionally drive me up to a 2.

eh.

Bearcat 05-03-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9655224)
I can't speak for others, but my personal opinion isn't that it's a significant accomplishment to go 9-7 or 10-6, but that you need to get to that point before you can really hope to start competing every year. I doubt there are a ton of teams that go from 2-14 to 14-2 back to back (though I know a handful have done close to that).

For me, Alex is a stabilizer that will help to 1) let our young guys get practice with a real-live NFL team and 2) make us somewhat more attractive because there is a CHANCE we'll actually compete.

True for this year, but I've seen the 'just get in' mentality for as long as I've been here. IMO, when a Tebow-led team or a 7-9 team can make the playoffs, it just doesn't mean much, except that yes, sometimes weird stuff happens (like how both of those teams managed to win a game). A lot of people have always seemed content with playing it safe in the offseason as long as they're in the playoff hunt (after all, they won the worst division in the AFC while playing the worst NFC division! :rolleyes: ), even if they're no serious threat to do anything.

I'm apathetic about the whole QB situation.. part of me wonders if this was the one year they really had no other choice than to make a trade, instead of drafting a QB, and it's not like the new regime should draft one in the first couple of rounds just because the Chiefs haven't done so in 3 decades..... but it's like walking into your carpet-stained house with a new dog and the first thing it does is shit on the floor. You can't kick it to the curb, but, really?

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-03-2013 02:07 PM

I think the number of True Fans here are greatly underestimated by most of this board. We assume that they aren't here because they don't post. They're the Silent Majority. I also think that there are a number of people that are more True Fan than they are willing to admit. To borrow a phrase from Lacan, it's the "Knowledge that doesn't know itself."

BigCatDaddy 05-03-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 9655158)
Do you believe that guards and right tackles should be taken with top five picks?

Do you believe that a quarterback is best served as a game manager?
LMAO uh oh Dorseys a true fan

It's amazingly prophetic because we actually had people championing for Womach to be the top pick :facepalm:

Halfcan 05-03-2013 02:09 PM

I am looking forward to the new year. I think we are going to be pretty good.

Predarat 05-03-2013 02:21 PM

I am close between a Pessimist and Balanced, closer to Pessimist so that is my vote.

notorious 05-03-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9655280)
I think the number of True Fans here are greatly underestimated by most of this board. We assume that they aren't here because they don't post. They're the Silent Majority. I also think that there are a number of people that are more True Fan than they are willing to admit. To borrow a phrase from Lacan, it's the "Knowledge that doesn't know itself."

90% of the time I get in a Chiefs discussion with a stranger they are a Truefan.

It's mind-numbing.

Marcellus 05-03-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9655312)
90% of the time I get in a Chiefs discussion with a stranger they are a Truefan.

It's mind-numbing.

I wouldn't argue that the vast majority of fans outside of CP are very homerish or are casual fans.

If they weren't they would have found CP by now.

notorious 05-03-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus the True (Post 9655313)
I wouldn't argue that the vast majority of fans outside of CP are very homerish or are casual fans.

I wish I could be a TrueFan. They seem a lot happier.

I am too much of a realist, though. It been bad for too long for me to be a homer.

Bearcat 05-03-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9655317)
I wish I could be a TrueFan. They seem a lot happier.

I am too much of a realist, though. It been bad for too long for me to be a homer.

Ignorance is bliss, start sniffing glue.

HemiEd 05-03-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus the True (Post 9655313)

There is a point to which even the most absolute homer, should recognize the trend and what is happening, or they deserve what they get.

I am an example of that, and they are going to have to show me something new.
So far this regime has followed the the exact same moves that have been followed for 30 years, and for most of the teams history prior to that.

In my opinion, anyone that actually believes this team will draft a QB in the first round, in the next two or three years is ignoring the facts. Why would anyone ignore the facts?

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-03-2013 02:35 PM

What about the "Hatah" category? God damn true fan thread...
Posted via Mobile Device