ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Low Hot Water Pressure; Cold Water Fine (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269899)

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-11-2013 12:03 AM

Low Hot Water Pressure; Cold Water Fine

A few days ago it felt like someone turned our water off mid shower. Now, given that I try to make a habit of paying bills, I knew that it couldn't be due to delinquency. Oddly, the cold water isn't affected at all, but the hot water runs at about half of its old pressure Upon further Googling, it seems that when such issues arise it is often due to a blockage in the hot water heater, often due to sediment.

The question is "What do I do about it?"

My knowledge of plumbing is low, although I can at least fix a running toilet.

I've read that draining the water heater is recommended, but the success rate seems fairly low. One guy recommended putting a dime over the only running spout to create back pressure to blow out the sediment. I'd rather not turn a shower head into a mortar shell, so I'm laying myself prostrate in front of your collective home repair acumen.

Call a plumber is my first thought, but other cheaper and quicker potential fixes that don't damage the integrity of the tank or pipes would be greatly appreciated.

PaulAllen 02-11-2013 12:06 AM

Does your heater make like a knocking or banging noise when it kicks in?

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-11-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9393104)
Does your heater make like a knocking or banging noise when it kicks in?

Nope. Sounds perfectly normal.

Heater is a Ruud 67 Gallon capacity. Manufactured in October 2004. The house is seven years old. Copper pipes.

A Salt Weapon 02-11-2013 12:18 AM

Bypass your water heater and see if the pressure on the hot is fine. Hook the cold inlet flex up to the hot water outlet pipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaulAllen 02-11-2013 12:19 AM

I'd try flushing it out first. If that doesn't work it could be the pipes themselves but try trouble shooting the water heater first thing.

Chiefshrink 02-11-2013 12:20 AM

I'm assuming you have already googled this topic and searched YouTube on this ? I have saved myself a lot of $$$ doing this. Both have been very good especially YouTube.

AustinChief 02-11-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9393102)
One guy recommended putting a dime over the only running spout to create back pressure to blow out the sediment.

HA! What is this supposed to accomplish??? Blocking a running tap would be exactly the same as just turning it off.

OK .. have you checked to make certain that the hot water pressure is low throughout the entire house?

Have you checked the cold line into the heater to make sure it has adequate pressure?

Those are the two easiest things to check first.. next it gets a bit more complicated. You'll want to flush it and check for sediment or bits of plastic. After that, check the dip tube and make sure it is in good shape. The dip tube is the tube INSIDE the tank that carries the water from the cold inlet to the bottom of the tank.

cdcox 02-11-2013 12:24 AM

My prediction is that you'll mess around with it for a couple days and end up buying a new hot water heater.

The time for flushing is before it clogs, IMO.

nstygma 02-11-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 9393112)
Bypass your water heater and see if the pressure on the hot is fine. Hook the cold inlet flex up to the hot water outlet pipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

are you suggesting he backflush the water heater? interesting idea. i guess if a chunk of sediment is blocking a line, blast it backward out the tank drain.

Ming the Merciless 02-11-2013 12:27 AM

I would guess its more likely the shower valve or cartridge.....Do you have 1, 2 or 3 handles on your shower? I have dealt with many problems such as this...if your kitchen faucet still has decent hot pressure, it is most likely( 99.9%) a simple valve or cartidge issue.

Joe Seahawk 02-11-2013 12:31 AM

Go Tankless.. You will not regret it..

aturnis 02-11-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9393119)
are you suggesting he backflush the water heater? interesting idea. i guess if a chunk of sediment is blocking a line, blast it backward out the tank drain.

I think he's suggesting hooking the the hot water outlet the the cold water lines, then if he has decent pressure, the blockage is in his hot water lines AFTER the water heater. Saves a guy from replacing a perfectly good water heater. I could be wrong though.

Ming the Merciless 02-11-2013 12:35 AM

you probably did this, but take your shower head off and check the hot pressure without the head on, 1st thing....

Chiefshrink 02-11-2013 12:39 AM

A pressure relief valve or cartridge is my bet that has gone out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJe1R7SRXZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhH86GccWI

AustinChief 02-11-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 9393112)
Posted via Mobile Device

This is good but you'll need an extra bit of tubing with two male connectors to make this happen.