ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Sutton's Defense Won't Dictate Or Attack (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316846)

petegz28 08-17-2018 06:39 PM

Sutton's Defense Won't Dictate Or Attack

His defense lacks any sense of toughness and attack. He doesn't dictate anything. When he blitzes he blitzes to blitz and not to dictate what the ofense can and cannot do.

Take Wade Phillips on the other hand. The guy instantly upgrades any defense he coaches regardless of talent. Why? Because he has a defense that dictactes what an offense must do. Not sit back trying to defend against any and everything possible.

Preseason or not, toughness and an attacking mentality are something that shows regardless. Sutton's defenses are soft, reactionary and undisciplined.

How this guy still has a job bogles the minds of most. But I am afraid what we've seen the last few years is what we will see again. Minimal attack, dependency on a turnover. Lots of time on the field defensively.

Bowser 08-17-2018 06:40 PM

I've wanted him gone since the Indy playoff loss. He's done nothing to change my mind.

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13679906)
His defense lacks any sense of toughness and attack. He doesn't dictate anything. When he blitzes he blitzes to blitz and not to dictate what the ofense can and cannot do.

Take Wade Phillips on the other hand. The guy instantly upgrades any defense he coaches regardless of talent. Why? Because he has a defense that dictactes what an offense must do. Not sit back trying to defend against any and everything possible.

Preseason or not, toughness and an attacking mentality are something that shows regardless. Sutton's defenses are soft, reactionary and undisciplined.

How this guy still has a job bogles the minds of most. But I am afraid what we've seen the last few years is what we will see again. Minimal attack, dependency on a turnover. Lots of time on the field defensively.

I hated the shit out of last years defense.

But in fairness, it's preseason and Andy Reid promised we'd be much more aggressive and attacking. In this case I don't think we're showing our full hand.

-King- 08-17-2018 06:46 PM

The funny thing is Suttons defenses have been just as good as Wade Phillips over the past 5 years even though Phillips has had more talent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Couch-Potato 08-17-2018 06:47 PM

is this guy Marcus Smith any good? SEA just cut him for "personal reasons"

petegz28 08-17-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13679922)
I hated the shit out of last years defense.

But in fairness, it's preseason and Andy Reid promised we'd be much more aggressive and attacking. In this case I don't think we're showing our full hand.

Sorry, not buying it. Toughness is a mentality and something that carries through in every play. This team is still soft. We aren't showing any hand, let alone our full hand.

TEX 08-17-2018 06:47 PM

There is no hope for this _efense under Sutton. It will be GRob bad. :shake:

Couch-Potato 08-17-2018 06:47 PM

Can we just trade for Khalil Mack? lol

petegz28 08-17-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13679949)
The funny thing is Suttons defenses have been just as good as Wade Phillips over the past 5 years even though Phillips has had more talent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, we ranked right up there with Denver's defenses under Phillips ROFL

-King- 08-17-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13679963)
Yeah, we ranked right up there with Denver's defenses under Phillips ROFL

...we do. You can compare points allowed per game if you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28 08-17-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 13679960)
Can we just trade for Khalil Mack? lol

I'm afraid that even if we did, Sutton would just drop him into coverage...

RunKC 08-17-2018 06:49 PM

Can we at least wait until we aren’t running vanilla gameplans in games that don’t matter to determine this?

Good god pete

Best22 08-17-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

When did we have a unit like the 2015 Broncos?

Bowser 08-17-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Statistically, yes.

Personally, I just can't stand this "Bend but Don't Break" shit philosophy. Give me an aggressive defense that will swing and miss from time to time over a defense that only stiffens up from the 20 in. Add in to this particular defense that they seemingly can't get third down stops ever (yeah, yeah...preseason) and you have a real cause for concern this year.

petegz28 08-17-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13679965)
...we do. You can compare points allowed per game if you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thsi has already been discussed thoroughly in other threads...but you hang onto this if it makes you feel better