ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Steve Carrell leaving 'The Office' after next season. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230042)

Red Brooklyn 09-23-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7934154)
James Spader > God

Truest thing on the whole internet today.

Captain Obvious 09-23-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7934154)
James Spader > God

I was concerned that this character would restrain him. It did not. Alan Shore (Boston Legal) is still one of my all-time favorite TV characters.

kc rush 09-23-2011 08:18 AM

I wasn't overly impressed. I do think Spader can add a lot to the show though. I think the interaction between Andy and Dwight has the potential to be good/funny. They need a little less Jim/Pam to really get back on track.

RockChalk 09-23-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 7934606)
I wasn't overly impressed. I do think Spader can add a lot to the show though. I think the interaction between Andy and Dwight has the potential to be good/funny. They need a little less Jim/Pam to really get back on track.

Spot on.

Also definitely agree with Spader > God

Predarat 09-23-2011 01:33 PM

I thought it was good, it will be interesting to see if the NardDog can keep his position with his anger management problem. He looked like he was about to lose it a few times last season.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-23-2011 08:53 PM

Surprisingly funny season premiere. I wasn't expecting much.

Predarat 09-25-2011 01:14 AM

Robert ****ing California > X10000 ron ****ing mexico

Thig Lyfe 09-25-2011 12:58 PM

I thought the premiere was pretty ****ing meh. I recently re-watched seasons 2 and 3, and the drop-off in quality between then and now is just painful.

-King- 09-26-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 7934606)

Eh... Jim is consistently the funniest person on the show. The interactions between him and Dwight are the best.

CoMoChief 09-26-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 7943673)
Eh... Jim is consistently the funniest person on the show. The interactions between him and Dwight are the best.

No he's not and not by a long shot.

Kevin Malone
Dwight Schrute
Creed

All funnier than Jim halpert. But yes Dwight and Jim feuds are funny...but this show has gone away from that for some time now. This show has really lost its edge fwiw.

DJ's left nut 09-26-2011 01:12 PM

Carrell leaving could actually be good for the show.

"Michael-heavy" episodes tend to suck and last season was just so mediocre that they clearly needed a major shakeup.

I don't like Andy as the manager, though. I can only handle him in small doses.

I think they needed some new blood there.

Setsuna 09-26-2011 10:39 PM

It wasn't that bad. The thing about California talking Jo out of her own job was genius.

BigMeatballDave 09-27-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7944593)

"Michael-heavy" episodes tend to suck and last season was just so mediocre that they clearly needed a major shakeup.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when they revealed that.

chiefzilla1501 10-01-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7944593)

I've always hated Andy because he reminds me too much of a completely unlikeable D-bag I know.

That being said... I don't know. I'm kind of pleasantly surprised. I really like the new direction of the show. It's kind of amazing the way a TV show can erase your previous memories of a character and form a completely new one. I think Andy's new character is endearing. As a businessperson myself, I kind of like the new direction of a complete badass like Robert California and a young mentee like Andy Bernard.

Given that most of last season of The Office, in my opinion, became a little bit of a trainwreck, I'm actually pretty excited about a complete change in direction.

keg in kc 10-01-2011 08:39 AM

I was skeptical about Andy as boss, too, but I liked Thursday's episode a lot. The bit at the end about underachievers inspiring the unexceptional, or whatever it was he said, was freaking hilarious. And during the title sequence, when he moves the statue on his desk and it ends up on the floor. Perfect.

The Bad Guy 10-01-2011 04:03 PM

I've been a huge fan of how the've transitioned away from Carrell.

The Bad Guy 10-01-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 7943673)

Jim's humor has grown old on me.

I think Darrell has been really funny this year. Creed is my favorite though.

-King- 10-01-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7957057)
Jim's humor has grown old on me.

I think Darrell has been really funny this year. Creed is my favorite though.

/creed ?

By the way, anyone know how come they didn't finish the storyline about the printers catching on fire?
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave 10-01-2011 06:40 PM

I think Kristen Wiig would be a great addition to the show as manager.

Thig Lyfe 10-02-2011 12:14 AM

Liked the second episode of the season way more. I hate it when The Office tries to be topical, so that planking cold open annoyed the shit out of me. But this episode had some of the pathos that the new, too-self-aware Office lacks a lot of the time.

Spader's great, and I think he provides a good foil to a desperate-for-approval guy like Andy.

They've had some minor slip-ups, I think, where they have Andy do things that don't really fit his character as well as they would have fit Michael. Like the inadvertently racist stuff in the second episode -- that's 100% Michael. And sometimes it feels like Ed Helms is doing a Steve Carell impression. But I think they're working toward giving him more distinct neuroses that fit the Michael Scott mold but that are uniquely Andy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 7957400)
I think Kristen Wiig would be a great addition to the show as manager.

That would have been a great move. Alas.

-King- 10-02-2011 02:57 AM

The part that most reminded me of Michael was Andy sitting on Jim's desk. That it's more suited for michaels character rather than Andy's.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captain Obvious 10-02-2011 07:36 PM

It makes sense for Andy to do some of the things that Michael would do. He's been his reference point for a boss.

DJ's left nut 10-03-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 7962353)
It makes sense for Andy to do some of the things that Michael would do. He's been his reference point for a boss.

Yup - I think that's a pretty fair allowance for the writers. He took the job out of Cornell, yes? So Michael is his only real example of a boss in his professional career.

The last episode was much better. And I think the show can excel as long as Spader's in it to provide just enough of that 'cool guy grim reaper' character that can offset Andy a little.

I really wish they wouldn't have knocked up Pam and Angela, though. Pregnancy storylines absolutely suck dicks.

Predarat 10-03-2011 11:26 AM

The Office is OK, and has been OK the past few seasons. Parks and Rec is kicking its ass right now.

DJ's left nut 10-03-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 7964112)
The Office is OK, and has been OK the past few seasons. Parks and Rec is kicking its ass right now.

If you think last season the Office was OK, this season would have to get 'good', IMO.

I think this season has been OK thus far (maybe a little better than that; maybe not as funny, but some legitimately great moments).

Last season was trash. Pure, unadulterated, trash.

Demonpenz 10-03-2011 03:16 PM

they should have jason sudekas do an ed helms impersonation

Jawshco 10-21-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 7964640)
they should have jason sudekas do an ed helms impersonation

That's funny. I've actually mistaken Sudekas for Helms a couple of times. They do look similar. Of course, I've lost my glasses again so a lot of celebs look a like to me. I used to think John Cryer was Mathew Brodrick and Tom Cruise was Charlie Sheen.

Jawshco 10-21-2011 07:21 PM

Doctor Who's Cathy Tate is coming back to the office! This is great news.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/10/office-catherine-tate/

BigMeatballDave 10-28-2011 10:22 PM

Very good episode this week.

-King- 11-03-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8057409)
Very good episode this week.

Wow. I thought it was terrible.

The episode this week though is pretty good so far. It has the same feel as older episodes.

Setsuna 11-03-2011 10:38 PM

The only thing king likes is CoD. That ought to tell you enough. I liked it. Dwight was a little annoying but it worked.

keg in kc 11-04-2011 06:45 AM

I loved last night's episode until the last couple of minutes. Just felt like if fell completely flat to me.

Great Expectations 11-04-2011 11:15 AM

I haven't watched last night, but the Garden Party and Halloween are complete and utter fail when compared to what this show offered in the first 4 years.

OmahaChief 11-04-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8077998)
I haven't watched last night, but the Garden Party and Halloween are complete and utter fail when compared to what this show offered in the first 4 years.

I disagree. The Garden Party episode was a classic. The Halloween one was weak though.

Baby Lee 11-04-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8077461)
I loved last night's episode until the last couple of minutes. Just felt like if fell completely flat to me.

Yeah, I was convinced that Dwight had never even implemented the 'doomsday device,' and had just said he did to teach some lesson. To turn it into some Dwight/Office bonding lesson was disappointing.

Gabe's physicality when trying to 'get his mack on' in the warehouse was some sublime stuff, though.

On a relevant tangent, I missed the first season of 'Sunny' and was inspired to revisit it when Howerton was on Pollack's Chat Show this week. He cited the British Office as a strong influence. This rang soooooo true in 'The Gang Gets Racist' [S01E02] when Mac tried to 'hang with the black dominoes players on university campus. The entire scene could have been lifted from Gervais' Office. Total cringe humor.

Sure-Oz 11-05-2011 09:00 AM

Office hasnt' been bad, but damn you Carrell

lcarus 11-05-2011 01:01 PM

I've been pretty underwhelmed by this season. It really hasn't been the same since season 4 or 5, but without Carell, it's REALLY lost it's mojo.

DJ's left nut 11-05-2011 01:29 PM

Disagree, its better without carell now. Obviously not as good as the first four seasons, but Michael Scott had run his course and was just grating anymore. I like this season significantly more then the previous two.

lcarus 11-05-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8080431)
Disagree, its better without carell now. Obviously not as good as the first four seasons, but Michael Scott had run his course and was just grating anymore. I like this season significantly more then the previous two.

Well Michael Scott had run his course. Which is why they should have ended the show. It sucks now, and has for some time.

Sure-Oz 11-05-2011 02:43 PM

I still think most the characters aren't bad but where do you go with it?

RockChalk 11-11-2011 01:10 PM

Pretty decent episodes back to back

keg in kc 11-11-2011 02:21 PM

They're doing a better job of finding that really uncomfortable situational humor than they had in recent years, more reminiscent of british style comedy. The thing with Jim's scrotch had me cracking up for some reason. Although the saccharine of the Jim and Pam relationship is still putting me to sleep half the time. Nice to see a little tension introduced.

Sure-Oz 11-11-2011 05:04 PM

Jim and Pam are definetly boring now but that last episode was funny

Baby Lee 11-11-2011 07:19 PM

No one noted the appearance of THIS GUY??

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6DVbt5W-DNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rico 11-11-2011 07:25 PM

They keep making references to the Scranton Strangler... and after Toby's speech at Michael's Last Dundies, they made it obvious that he could still be at large. Anyone think it could be Gabe or California? Or would that be too dark?

Setsuna 11-12-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricoswaff (Post 8100730)
They keep making references to the Scranton Strangler... and after Toby's speech at Michael's Last Dundies, they made it obvious that he could still be at large. Anyone think it could be Gabe or California? Or would that be too dark?

Wow....doubt it. Gabe and California didn't even live there. But that'd be awesome.

rico 11-12-2011 11:05 PM

I like the "creepy" direction they are taking with Gabe.

DaFace 12-01-2011 10:37 PM

That episode was bizarre. It was much more "uncomfortable" than "funny" to me.

KcMizzou 12-01-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8160244)
That episode was bizarre. It was much more "uncomfortable" than "funny" to me.

Is there a more miserable SOB on TV than Andy? At this point, they're just torturing the dude.

Jawshco 12-01-2011 11:16 PM

Gabe is the obvious choice given his odd passive aggressive, cross dressing, gore loving ways. But Creed also could be the Strangler -he's said some creepy things. Or Meredith could be strangling meat selling dudes in a drunken stupor. Ha!

I like the Andy torture. That does make me laugh, but the Forest Gump direction they're taking Kelly Erin's character is awful. It was funny at first, but now she's boring. We have enough of that with Kevin and Kelly Kapur.

BigMeatballDave 12-02-2011 05:39 AM

That was hilarious

Setsuna 12-04-2011 12:07 AM

This week's episdoe dave? Yes it was. Jim was panicking. That was gold right there. And Pam on maternity leave. Thank the stars.

keg in kc 12-09-2011 06:28 AM

In honor of Kevin Jaye Malone, I'm having maple and brown sugar mixed with apples and cinnamon this morning.

(really!)

Baby Lee 12-09-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8183276)
In honor of Kevin Jaye Malone, I'm having maple and brown sugar mixed with apples and cinnamon this morning.

(really!)

Whole Milk?

keg in kc 12-09-2011 10:47 AM

Unfortunately no. Just water.

CoMoChief 12-09-2011 10:54 AM

I air guitared to Trans-Siberian orchestra last night.

Brock 12-09-2011 04:22 PM

This show is so much better now.

Setsuna 12-09-2011 06:12 PM

I agree. Erin (Kelly) has got some nice tatas on her. Bet she likes it rough, or she will if I got a hold of her. Hehe.

Jawshco 12-11-2011 12:58 AM

Okay, was starting to dislike her, but the (Kelly) Erin bit with the booze was pretty funny. She played a great drunk. I've been to a party with a female co-worker that was pretty much exactly like that once. So, that definitely had me chuckling. Even Stanley was pretty funny in that episode.

IDK... I was skeptical about Andy and Spader, but this season is already better than the last couple seasons of the show. They've found a new creative spark for sure. It doesn't hold a candle to the first 3 seasons, but it's not bad.

DaFace 12-11-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8187441)
Okay, was starting to dislike her, but the (Kelly) Erin bit with the booze was pretty funny. She played a great drunk. I've been to a party with a female co-worker that was pretty much exactly like that once. So, that definitely had me chuckling. Even Stanley was pretty funny in that episode.

IDK... I was skeptical about Andy and Spader, but this season is already better than the last couple seasons of the show. They've found a new creative spark for sure. It doesn't hold a candle to the first 3 seasons, but it's not bad.

I tend to agree. They're still a little hit or miss this season, but this episode was great. I still think the show's on a major decline, but they may be able to hold it together for another season or two.

RockChalk 01-25-2012 11:41 AM

Last week's episode was the best one of the season IMO

whoman69 01-26-2012 02:46 PM

Spinoff

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...sEnabled=false

DJ's left nut 01-26-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8328877)

Good lord. I can only think of the 'Dead Butters' episode of South Park when the crazy farmer was trying to talk Butters parents out of burying his 'corpse' at the haunted cemetery:

"Sometimes...dead is better"

Jawshco 02-19-2012 08:43 PM

I no longer think The Office is on decline! This show is seriously funny again. The past two weeks have been funnier than anything in the last two seasons, and that opener might be the funniest one to date! I've watched it three times already- freaking hilarious episode! The appendicitis/poison thing had me tears when Dwight was pulling down that screen, and then his phone call to his "son." Ah, man... Love it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nJ-9wYAN2Ds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm almost sad that this is the last season and they're doing Dwight's "The One to Beet" (or whatever it will be called) spin off show in 2013. I'm really in enjoying this show again.

arrowheadnation 02-19-2012 10:33 PM

Dwight Schrute, meet Joey Tribbiani. Joey's advice....don't do it Dwight.

BigMeatballDave 02-20-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8384357)
I no longer think The Office is on decline! This show is seriously funny again. The past two weeks have been funnier than anything in the last two seasons, and that opener might be the funniest one to date! I've watched it three times already- freaking hilarious episode! The appendicitis/poison thing had me tears when Dwight was pulling down that screen, and then his phone call to his "son." Ah, man... Love it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nJ-9wYAN2Ds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm almost sad that this is the last season and they're doing Dwight's "The One to Beet" (or whatever it will be called) spin off show in 2013. I'm really in enjoying this show again.

So, its just Dwight's last season and not the show, correct?

That's what I'm reading about it. It would be tough to replace Rainn Wilson.

Brock 02-20-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 8384589)
Dwight Schrute, meet Joey Tribbiani. Joey's advice....don't do it Dwight.

The difference being Dwight Schrute is funny and interesting.

Rain Man 02-20-2012 11:29 AM

The Office would take a big hit if Dwight left, but they seem to be good at introducing interesting new characters. Robert California is way more interesting to me than Michael Scott was, for example. Nonetheless, Dwight is in my opinion the most interesting character and is a great glue for the other characters to build around. I hope he doesn't leave, and it's hard to see what he'd gain by leaving. He's already the star of the show.

Predarat 02-20-2012 11:44 AM

Ohh nooo please not Dwight. To me he is the glue that holds the show together.

Bump 02-20-2012 12:09 PM

I thought the show was pretty bad without Carrell, maybe I'll start watching again.

keg in kc 02-20-2012 01:14 PM

I think it's been a lot more entertaining without Carrell. Took some time to get used to, but it's been a nice change.

Bump 02-21-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8385615)
I think it's been a lot more entertaining without Carrell. Took some time to get used to, but it's been a nice change.

nah, Carrell is classic in his role.

keg in kc 02-21-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8387060)
nah, Carrell is classic in his role.

He was up until 3 or 4 years ago. The character (and the show) grew stale after that point. The show now is better than the show was last year. That's all I'm saying.

blaise 02-21-2012 09:36 AM

That last episode was pretty funny. I also like the Zim Zam Yo Yo guy that they cast as the warehouse employee.

Jawshco 02-21-2012 11:05 AM

I remember hearing something about certain members of the Office cast not re-signing on for next year. I think the Dwight spinoff was planned as an alternative to the Office if the show couldn't be continued. You're right Rainn is already the top billing on the show which is a proven success. Leaving the show prior to cancellation to play the same character on a show that's an unknown commodity would not make sense.

I agree a about Carrell. He made the show great during the first few seasons, (that's what she said! ) but got a bit stale after he split with Jan. There were still funny moments, but the main comedy spark was gone. This season is absolutely funnier than the previous two, but is still far more uneven when compared to the first few seasons.

Predarat 02-28-2012 02:55 PM

Now it looks like Robert California is gone too.

http://news.yahoo.com/james-spader-l...035952817.html

lcarus 02-28-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 8405464)
Now it looks like Robert California is gone too.

http://news.yahoo.com/james-spader-l...035952817.html

I never thought he was that great on the show, but I'd say now is a great time to end it with what little dignity it has left. It had a great run.

Molitoth 02-28-2012 04:32 PM

Just end it, sheesh.

RockChalk 02-28-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8405497)
I never thought he was that great on the show, but I'd say now is a great time to end it with what little dignity it has left. It had a great run.

I've found the last couple of episodes to be hilarious. Neither of them had anything to do with Robert California

FTR, I've enjoyed his character this year. But I'm a pretty big James Spader fan

BigMeatballDave 02-28-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8405677)
Just end it, sheesh.

Eat shit