ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Matt Barkley doesn't resemble elite quarterback prospect in 2012 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266955)

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9142104)
How many "sure things" at QB have been drafted in the last 15 years?

I don't think this matters because I want a qb and geno is my horse.

I am talking about people overhyping the guy and ignoring the reality that in a lackluster class with Barkley nosediving, geno is still not a consensus #1.

BossChief 11-22-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142096)
RgIII was a sure thing because his floor was that he would be an out of this world running qb. His upside was to be an out of the world athlete who was also an excellent pocket passer. Geno is going to be a pocket passer who can use his legs if he has to. That is a tremendous difference.

Geno HAS to be not just a good, but a masterful pocket passer. I never said he can't do that. Don't put words in my mouth. I've praised his football iq and work ethic. I've said it is a risk. And when I say bust potential, I am basing that on the idea that anything short of a franchise qb is a bust. Solid starter to me, is a bust.

Well, I guess RG3 has "major bust potential" too because of risk of injury, then.

amirite?

jspchief 11-22-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142116)
I don't think this matters because I want a qb and geno is my horse.

I am talking about people overhyping the guy and ignoring the reality that in a lackluster class with Barkley nosediving, geno is still not a consensus #1.

Yeah, but my point is that outside of Peyton Manning once in a decade type guys, there is rarely a consensus top QB.

BossChief 11-22-2012 04:30 PM

Manning wasnt even the consensus top QB...not even close.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9142118)
Well, I guess RG3 has "major bust potential" too because of risk of injury, then.

amirite?

No. I don't know how that even applies. And rgIII walked into the nfl with a much better pocket passing skill set than geno anyway.

Hammock Parties 11-22-2012 04:32 PM

IMO Geno is RGIII without the elite scrambling talent.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9142119)
Yeah, but my point is that outside of Peyton Manning once in a decade type guys, there is rarely a consensus top QB.

Barkley is one of the least impressive top guns we have seen. The point is it should not be hard to replace him as the consensus top qb.

BossChief 11-22-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9142124)

Q of post 84

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

The reason I said rgIII was sure fire was that... Yeah, I believed rgIIIs floor was at the worst an elite running qb. I believed his most likely upside as to be a big Ben qb that was so elusive in the pocket that he could extend plays even if he couldn't make a lightning quick read.

Genos success will depend on being an elite pocket qb. He has to be elite at pre snap reads. Elite at going through progressions. Elite at making unbelievably fast hot reads, blitz pickups, and getting rid of the ball very quickly. Things he hasn't been asked to do.

RgIII would have succeeded even if he was only average at those things. Geno won't be. Hence, he is a riskier prospect. I like geno. But again, I'm not going to exaggerate his stock.

RunKC 11-22-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah..um no.

KCFaninSEA 11-22-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9142018)
You want to talk about extremely dangerous and same ol' song and dance.
I will tell you what is extremely dangerous. Not drafting a QB at the top of this draft. If the Chiefs don't draft a top guy and are mediocre at all with whatever veteran or some thing like that. The same ol' song and dance. Arrowhead will become a tax debt hole that will never be forgotten by the taxpayers of that area. Arrowhead will be an empty baron wasteland.

Even if it is a band-aid and doesn't work out the Chiefs FO have put themselves in a corner by their own design. They have no choice even if it turns out to be a "bust". It will save face with the fans.
You want them to do something different. If year 2 the 1st round QB isn't working and you can at all you draft another one. And don't give me this waste of talent BS either.

I agree they need a QB. Shit, they need at least 2 of them. I'm not convinced next years QB class is very good at all. Maybe someone pans out and is an annual pro bowler. I'm not convinced that any of next years QB class is worthy of a #1 or #2 overall pick whether the Chiefs need one (or 2) or not. I want the Chiefs to succeed and if that means the guy isn't there this year then so be it, but to take chances at #1 or #2 is difficult. I want talent that is 100% or as close as anybody can get to 100% with those picks. I don't want Tyson Jackson type picks again. Those kind of risky picks is why we are where we are. What I am saying is if the QBOTF is not there, I am not going to jump off the ship because of it.
You can but I won't.

milkman 11-22-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142123)
No. I don't know how that even applies. And rgIII walked into the nfl with a much better pocket passing skill set than geno anyway.

That's complete and utter bullshit, which is a specialty for you.

RGIII never faced the kind of pressure that Smith faces consistently, but when Smith is in the pocket, he has far more pocket awareness and passing skill set at this point in their development.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142138)
The reason I said rgIII was sure fire was that... Yeah, I believed rgIIIs floor was at the worst an elite running qb. I believed his most likely upside as to be a big Ben qb that was so elusive in the pocket that he could extend plays even if he couldn't make a lightning quick read.

Genos success will depend on being an elite pocket qb. He has to be elite at pre snap reads. Elite at going through progressions. Elite at making unbelievably fast hot reads, blitz pickups, and getting rid of the ball very quickly. Things he hasn't been asked to do.

RgIII would have succeeded even if he was only average at those things. Geno won't be. Hence, he is a riskier prospect. I like geno. But again, I'm not going to exaggerate his stock.

Who gives a rat's ass if a QB is an elite running QB?

If you don't succeed as a passing QB, you ain't winning shit in the NFL.

You are ****ing moron.

Setsuna 11-22-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9142441)

RGIII never faced the kind of pressure that Smith faces consistently, but when Smith is in the pocket, he has far more pocket awareness and passing skill set at this point in their development.

You are ****ing moron.

Smith can't overcome shit to win a game. RGIII did.

redrage16 11-22-2012 06:23 PM

That is a very smart post

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9142441)

You are ****ing moron.

I said that was his floor. I said his realistic floor was that he would be a qb who used his legs to extend passing plays. I also said rgIII had tremendous upside to be a great pocket qb.

Don't talk shit if you aren't going to exaggerate.