ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Boxed wine, what are your thoughts? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313412)

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2018 10:34 AM

Boxed wine, what are your thoughts?

Anyone use these adult juice boxes much? Thinking about moving that direction for every-day drinkers and cooking, but would love to hear y'all's experience and suggestions. I've read some of them are pretty decent nowadays.

MOhillbilly 01-22-2018 10:36 AM

Bleh.

CoMoChief 01-22-2018 10:36 AM

Tastes just as good as a $100 bottle....

like crap.

loochy 01-22-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13376285)
Tastes just as good as a $100 bottle....

like crap.

^this
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2018 10:39 AM

Not wine lovers? I love a good wine, red or white, and there's surprisingly good wines at the $10-$20 range.

BigBeauford 01-22-2018 10:41 AM

I dont mind any of the Bota Box Reds. Cab Sav in particular.

Sandy Vagina 01-22-2018 10:46 AM

https://media.tenor.co/images/c5b2ce...43f52be2d3/raw

Real men drink beer. Cheap ****ing cases of lite beer.

Dinny Bossa Nova 01-22-2018 10:48 AM

The initial "working name" of my fine little jazz orchestra was 'The Boxed Winos'.

Kind of a shout-out to Keith Richards & Steve Jordan.

We have since evolved.

Dinny

srvy 01-22-2018 10:51 AM

I am just not a fan of wine. If I need it to cook with I buy those trial sized bottles for cooking.

siberian khatru 01-22-2018 11:00 AM

Wife and I just started getting into boxed wines for everyday drinking (we usually have a glass of red every evening before or with dinner) just to save a few bucks. We first tried a Black Box but didn't like it -- had a funny aftertaste.

Then we tried a Bota. Bingo! Liked it a lot, and have kept going down the line. We've had the Nighthawk Black Red Blend, Zinfandel and RedVolution. Just picked up the Cabernet but haven't opened it yet.

I think they're very good values for everyday drinking; one box lasts us about two weeks.

I'm not a Robert Parker when it comes to wine, but I'm no rube, either. I can navigate a nice restaurant's wine list, and I buy a very nice, expensive Cab or Bordeaux every Christmas to go with my traditional prime rib dinner at home. So I know a good wine when I drink it. Bota's not plonk.

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 13376333)
Wife and I just started getting into boxed wines for everyday drinking (we usually have a glass of red every evening before or with dinner) just to save a few bucks. We first tried a Black Box but didn't like it -- had a funny aftertaste.

Then we tried a Bota. Bingo! Liked it a lot, and have kept going down the line. We've had the Nighthawk Black Red Blend, Zinfandel and RedVolution. Just picked up the Cabernet but haven't opened it yet.

I think they're very good values for everyday drinking; one box lasts us about two weeks.

I'm not a Robert Parker when it comes to wine, but I'm no rube, either. I can navigate a nice restaurant's wine list, and I buy a very nice, expensive Cab or Bordeaux every Christmas to go with my traditional prime rib dinner at home. So I know a good wine when I drink it. Bota's not plonk.

We're the same way. We did an at-home self-directed wine tasting course that really opened up our palates for it. I'm not a huge Cab fan, but I love big, bold Zins, and especially lighter Pinot Noirs. My go-to for the special bottles are the Earthquakes and Inkblots from Michael David Winery.

That course is what made me appreciate white wines more, too.

KCUnited 01-22-2018 11:11 AM

I never thought I liked wine until the liquor store around the corner sent me home with the leftover, mostly high end bottles from a wine tasting they hosted. I was taken aback by how much I enjoyed them. I still don't mess with it, but see why so many do.

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13376357)
I never thought I liked wine until the liquor store around the corner sent me home with the leftover, mostly high end bottles from a wine tasting they hosted. I was taken aback by how much I enjoyed them. I still don't mess with it, but see why so many do.

The best thing I ever did was get to know my wine shop manager. First time I went in there, told him my wife and I were adventurous - here's $300, get me some wines. Go nuts.

From there, I kept notes about each bottle, and the next time I went in, I took pics and my notes and told him what we really enjoyed and what we'd pass on. From there, gave him a budget and let him pick some more wines based on the feedback of the others. He always got us a couple special occasion bottles in there, as well as everyday drinkers.

He said he enjoyed wine people like us because he never really gets to show off some of the lesser known stuff because people tend to find what they like and then just drink that. He's shown us some really amazing wines.

KCUnited 01-22-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13376365)
The best thing I ever did was get to know my wine shop manager. First time I went in there, told him my wife and I were adventurous - here's $300, get me some wines. Go nuts.

From there, I kept notes about each bottle, and the next time I went in, I took pics and my notes and told him what we really enjoyed and what we'd pass on. From there, gave him a budget and let him pick some more wines based on the feedback of the others. He always got us a couple special occasion bottles in there, as well as everyday drinkers.

He said he enjoyed wine people like us because he never really gets to show off some of the lesser known stuff because people tend to find what they like and then just drink that. He's shown us some really amazing wines.

I can definitely vouch for building relationships at a good shop. I spend way too much on beer to also roll in wine, or even bourbon, but I could see myself making that transition later in life.

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13376385)
I can definitely vouch for building relationships at a good shop. I spend way too much on beer to also roll in wine, or even bourbon, but I could see myself making that transition later in life.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...ing-me-old.jpg