ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Hypothetical: Chip Kelly LOVES Geno Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269580)

saphojunkie 02-01-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9370519)
I already addressed this in my answer:

Okay, fine.

I think you're being myopic, but I'm not going to fault anyone who comes out off the draft with the QB they think is the best guy.

You could have most likely gotten him as well as some other picks, but it's not the end of the world.

Me? I'd take the trade confident that one of those guys is falling.

Molitoth 02-01-2013 02:03 PM

I think Geno Smith going to the Eagles will make them a great team.

Therefor receiving their future draft picks could mean that those picks fall in the late teens to twenties. The Eagles will not be drafting in the top 10 again next year with Geno Smith on their team.

The Jags and Raiders will take QB's, leaving the chiefs with garbage..

So no, I would tell Kelly to get bent.

Rasputin 02-01-2013 02:04 PM

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n_roulette.gif

O.city 02-01-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9370535)
Okay, fine.

I think you're being myopic, but I'm not going to fault anyone who comes out off the draft with the QB they think is the best guy.

You could have most likely gotten him as well as some other picks, but it's not the end of the world.

Me? I'd take the trade confident that one of those guys is falling.

So the chance of missing out on your guy is worth a few extra picks? Do those picks really matter if you miss on your QB?

saphojunkie 02-01-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9370542)
So the chance of missing out on your guy is worth a few extra picks? Do those picks really matter if you miss on your QB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9370509)
So address the possibility that they're BOTH gone.

Glennon + #34, #36, and two firsts next year.?

NO ****ING WAY.

Okay, I will address the possibility...

Ahem...

There is a 0.0001% chance that Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson are drafted in the first three picks of the 2013 NFL draft.

Now, that is still a possibility, technically, but it is one I am willing to wager against.

htismaqe 02-01-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9370526)
Here is my transcription of what was said:

So he said "know" instead of "think" but the gist of it remains the same...

We agree on this one.

Clark never said explicitly that there was no franchise QB in this draft.

keg in kc 02-01-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9370510)
Like last year? Going into the season Luck was head and shoulders above everyone else, but by the time the draft rolled around many felt that it was a toss up between him and RG3.

Like every year, at least recently. QBs are overdrafted by the league, often rounds ahead of where online 'experts' mock them. The idea that we'll be able to pick whoever we want whenever we want isn't impossible by any means, but it also isn't very likely. Based on history.

And actually your RG3 example might just work. Because maybe Wilson's value goes up exactly like his did, and QBs go 1 and 2. I don't know how likely that is, but it has to be a possibility, however remote. And if he doesn't, Oakland is sitting at 3.

Rasputin 02-01-2013 02:07 PM

It's really like playing Russian roulette, each draft slot you trade back is adding another bullet into the chamber, & your just going to lose.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/a...jwxqucspng.jpg

O.city 02-01-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9370543)

Ahem...

There is a 0.0001% chance that Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson are drafted in the first three picks of the 2013 NFL draft.

Now, that is still a possibility, technically, but it is one I am willing to wager against.

Fine. But based on the Chiefs previous history, I'm not.

htismaqe 02-01-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9370543)

Ahem...

And that's basically where the disagreement is.

You think it's a virtual impossibility that QBs go 1-2-3.

Most of us don't think it's worth it to wait to find out.

I'm not the wagering type. I'll take the sure thing.

saphojunkie 02-01-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9370549)
So he said "know" instead of "think" but the gist of it remains the same...

We agree on this one.

Clark never said explicitly that there was no franchise QB in this draft.

Totally.

I wasn't trying to correct you. I was trying to agree with you.

silver5liter 02-01-2013 02:10 PM

I love geno, but you'd be foolish not to take that. With that said I don't think they would give up that much

saphojunkie 02-01-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9370556)
And that's basically where the disagreement is.

You think it's a virtual impossibility that QBs go 1-2-3.

Most of us don't think it's worth it to wait to find out.

I'm not the wagering type. I'll take the sure thing.

Yeah, it's not a wrong answer for sure. I'd prefer to gamble on it, because if Geno isn't the sure-fire guy then I don't think there is one.

But every year there are at least 5 teams that need a new QB. And yet they never ever ever go 1 - 2 - 3.

If it were ever to happen, it would have been last year. I just don't think Barkley is going to give any team enough of a boner to trade up to 2 or 3 for him, and the same goes for Wilson.

Maybe one of them, but I just can't see how both manage to garner that much favor from teams.

EDIT: They do go 1 - 2 - 3. I'm full of shit.

htismaqe 02-01-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9370563)
I love geno, but you'd be foolish not to take that. With that said I don't think they would give up that much

Why?

Look at our 2nd round picks over the last 20 years.

I realize Dorsey and Reid are different but if you look at the draft all the way back to 1990 and go through Peterson, Marty, Gunther, Vermeil, Herm, Pioli there's 1 or 2 good 2nd rounders on there and a metric TON of shit.

The need for a QB trumps EVERYTHING ELSE.

O.city 02-01-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9370569)
Yeah, it's not a wrong answer for sure. I'd prefer to gamble on it, because if Geno isn't the sure-fire guy then I don't think there is one.

But every year there are at least 5 teams that need a new QB. And yet they never ever ever go 1 - 2 - 3.

If it were ever to happen, it would have been last year. I just don't think Barkley is going to give any team enough of a boner to trade up to 2 or 3 for him, and the same goes for Wilson.

Maybe one of them, but I just can't see how both manage to garner that much favor from teams.

Yeah, true.

The thing for me is that of all the times we've just missed out on one, this is the year there is no excuse, no way we miss out by someone else jumping us etc.

Thats pretty much my reasoning. Yeah, if you can trade down and still get your guy, fine. But I just don't want to risk it, not this year.