ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Late night bullshit: are you a defense or an offense fan? (Also, Poe.) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259215)

Direckshun 05-04-2012 12:08 AM

Late night bullshit: are you a defense or an offense fan? (Also, Poe.)

Let's make this a poll.

I personally have always been more partial to defense. I think a great defense is like art in motion. An offense can be powered by a great quarterback or an elite player here or there, but a great defense requires an orchestration from all parts that an offense doesn't always require. Sure it helps if the left guard cut-blocks the defensive end on the far side of the field so that Jamaal Charles can have an additional tenth-of-a-second darting towards the opposite side of the field, but a great defense requires 11 moving pieces.

In that sense, I enjoyed the 90s Chiefs more than the 2000s Chiefs, the lopsided-defense teams over the lopsided-offense teams.

I've loved the development of this defense under Pioli and Crennel. We have the best and deepest defensive line this team has had since the days of Dan Saleamua (sp?). Our passrush rivals Allen/Hali from the Herm Edwards days. And our secondary is one of the very best the NFL has to offer.

It's been a bit anticlimactic for me, however. When I watch the big-ass defensive line required by a 3-4 defense, what position holds more fascination than the nose tackle?

You're talking about a humongous brute, whose sheer size is so great he lines up directly over the center with the intention of simply pushing the guy back by being big. He exists on a very small (but crucial) part of the field, and is bigger than everybody else, stronger than everybody else, and on the best defenses, more ferocious than everybody else. We're talking about a guy so big that he creates injuries by simply falling on people.

It's like an invulnerable superhuman, and it just fascinates me to watch it. So little movement all over the field compared to everybody else. Yet the things happening between the hashes, going up against the heart of an offensive line built to punish defenders, totally outnumbered and outgunned, are among the most important on the field.

We finally got one. And he is not small, and he is immensely gifted. 6'4", 350 lbs. He's among the strongest the league has to offer. Among the fastest the league has to offer.

I wasn't thrilled about the pick, but in a way I'm glad we got him. We finally have a player who does things like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CXMku4m3twI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5nDw_CkQXb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And you absolutely have to love the primal scream about :33 in when he's getting close to 44 reps...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WmrTyakPvLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You see the guys on the sidelines lighting up. It's magnetic. It's something no other position can really do for your defense. It colors the entire defense.

No particular point to this thread. Just a meditation on defense, the nose tackle, and Poe.

It's too easy to hate on this guy, folks. Let's get the positive mojo going.

Direckshun 05-04-2012 12:09 AM

Damn, forgot to make an "offense or defense" poll. Got so wrapped up in the YouTubes.

Next time, I suppose.

Fairplay 05-04-2012 12:12 AM

Offense. I loved watching the Chiefs under the Vermeil regime. We just needed a better d.

Hammock Parties 05-04-2012 12:13 AM

Can't wait to see Poe lifting weights on the field.

Hammock Parties 05-04-2012 12:14 AM

And to answer your question, I have always preferred offense, but the smashmouth variety. I love watching a running game and a great running back crush the opposition's spirit.

Those days are gone, though.

TimeForWasp 05-04-2012 12:20 AM

Offense for me for sure, but I'm also excited about a good defense. This year will be very important to have the defense. But I really hope Dubal has a good offense for us this year with who we have in place. I think our running game will be awsome. I think our scat backs will be fun to watch. Also Hoping Hillis can beat the defenses up.

Fairplay 05-04-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Goat (Post 8593505)
And to answer your question, I have always preferred offense, but the smashmouth variety. I love watching a running game and a great running back crush the opposition's spirit.

I find it sad when it is third down and two or three yards to go and you have to go to your passing game to try and get the first down.

listopencil 05-04-2012 12:20 AM

1)Defense, 2) running game, 3) passing game.

keg in kc 05-04-2012 12:21 AM

I have always been partial to offense, but I think the best way to characterize my preferred style of football is aggressive. I like teams that dictate, rather than teams that react. I like teams that attack, whether it's offense or defense. Which means, on offense, motion and mismatches and mixing up the run and the pass, and on defense, teams that pressure, hit people in the backfield, and generally just punch you in the face. Both styles are risky, and can explode in your face, but I'd much rather risk that than than play safe 13-10 games that you can lose if the ball bounces the wrong way.

Unfortunately, here in KC, we can never seem to have both. If the defense is aggressive, the offense is vanilla, and if the offense is aggressive, the defense is "cerebral".

Direckshun 05-04-2012 12:22 AM

REALLY?

No DEFENSE people?

God. If I got to piss during a game, I do it when we force the other team to punt. I ****ing love defense.

I know much more about it than I do offense.

kcxiv 05-04-2012 12:24 AM

Defense!!!!!!! I love defense. I just love watching qb's fall apart. Unfortunately, i see that to much with the Chiefs QB lol

listopencil 05-04-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Goat (Post 8593505)

Same here but I get more into the Defense. I love to watch a good running game but I'll let out a huge uncontrollable primal scream when I see a big Defensive play.

TimeForWasp 05-04-2012 12:27 AM

We are going to have to keep opposing offenses off the field this year. Field position and time of possession will be important. And we need to end Mannings season in our first game with the Donks.

keg in kc 05-04-2012 12:28 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but saying I'm partial to offense doesn't mean I hate defense. I love a good defense. What I really want is a team that scores 27 a game and gives up 17. Not one that allows 14 and scores 17, or one that scores 31 and allows 27. If that makes any sense.

Rasputin 05-04-2012 12:28 AM

I got to go with defense and that's out of love for #58DT. Watching QBs get sacked and thrown around is a thing of beauty. I also love to see an INT go for 6 just ****ing fun to watch. Put me down for defense.