ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life A Question About Giving up a kidney. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315441)

Rain Man 05-18-2018 11:08 PM

A Question About Giving up a kidney.

An acquaintance of mine donated a kidney. My wife told me about it.

I said, "Oh, did he have a sibling who needed it or something?"

She said, "No, he just always wanted to donate a kidney."

"Donate it to who?"

"Anyone. So he's made arrangements and he's donating one."

After several moments of disbelief and confusion, I finally understood that this guy had always thought it would be cool to donate a kidney, so he made arrangements and did it. Just had the doctors take it out, and presumably it's now in some other person.

I had no idea that a person could do this. I always figured that donations either came after death, or you could do it for a specific person. Did you know that a person could do this?

What do you think about this?

tooge 05-18-2018 11:19 PM

Yeah, no. Then you get T boned by some dumbass, lose your other kidney, then spend several days a week visiting the dialysis clinic

JakeF 05-18-2018 11:35 PM

Sounds like a wonderful person but so much can go wrong. Wow.

kysirsoze 05-18-2018 11:36 PM

Pretty sure I drink too much to go handing out kidneys.

Flying High D 05-19-2018 05:17 AM

I worked with a guy who gave his brother a kidney. He said the complications and the medication you have to take for the rest of your life is a hassle.

Scooter LaCanforno 05-19-2018 05:58 AM

Does the Five Second rule apply if they drop it on the floor.

lewdog 05-19-2018 06:09 AM

Absolutely not.

My organs are mine, until I’m dead. At which time they can be used for whatever someone needs.

displacedinMN 05-19-2018 06:25 AM

Save it for a relative. Besides, mine insides are yellow green from drinking Mt. Dew.

tmax63 05-19-2018 06:35 AM

I'm in between. It's way cool that he wants to help someone that way but as said earlier he's one wreck away from being the person he helped. I've known people with one kidney and they was normal in every way including drinking so I know living with one isn't a problem except there's no back-up.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-19-2018 07:07 AM

Probably so he can brag on Facebook about it.

DaFace 05-19-2018 07:48 AM

I saw a guy on reddit the other day who said he got $200k for donating his kidney on the black market. I might consider that, but I don't think I'd give one away just for fun.

patteeu 05-19-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13561909)
Sounds like a wonderful person but so much can go wrong. Wow.

That about sums it up for me. Wow.

SupDock 05-19-2018 09:44 AM

I donated one of mine to a relative about 10 years ago. So far so good. Donating a kidney should not result in you taking any new meds. Donors are rigorously screened, and are generally more healthy than the average population. Long term studies show they do quite well

In regards to not having a backup this is true in terms of traumatic injuries, but most kidneys are lost due to medical reasons, and these conditions like diabetes and hypertension effect both kidneys, so they both fail.

Definitely not a decision to be taken lightly though.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-19-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13561943)
I worked with a guy who gave his brother a kidney. He said the complications and the medication you have to take for the rest of your life is a hassle.

That's only for the recipient.

scho63 05-19-2018 09:59 AM

The only organ I'm donating is the one between my legs and just for females on the donor waiting list.