ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Zack Snyder to direct next Superman film (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234627)

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9757014)
Spoiler!

Hrm. My wife and both missed that then.

Bowser 06-17-2013 01:39 PM

I may be mistaken. It was a pretty bang-bang scene.

-King- 06-17-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9757040)
Hrm. My wife and both missed that then.

Spoiler!

JD10367 06-17-2013 02:14 PM

I don't know why everyone is ragging on Supes for "not caring"
Spoiler!

Ditto for the "lack of joy" comments by so many critics. We've already discussed how a movie in 2013 is going to be less joyful than one in the 1980s due to the current world situation and the current trend in superhero films. And, frankly, what would Clark Kent have to be joyous about? Especially BEFORE becoming Supes? A loner misfit outcast, last of his kind, no friends, trying to figure out who he is, dealing with weird shit... pretty much everything "Smallville" was, and previous Supes incarnations weren't. I haven't read the old comics in a while, but was Supes ever even portrayed as anything other than a Boy Scout? IIRC he landed in Smallville, the Kents found him, and next thing you know he was at the Daily Planet in a pair of glasses. The Supes mythology had no realism, no growing pains, no nuances of personality or conflict. Now that he has BECOME the Man Of Steel, maybe in the second film he'll find a little joy... but if he doesn't, so what? Even though he's all-powerful, he's still the only one of his kind, he still (maybe) can't have a relationship with Lois Lane, he's still got to deal with the pressures of saving the world... I rewatched "Superman Returns" last night (which IMO gets a bit of a bad rap), and there's one scene which could've been in this current film, where Brandon Routh lifts that film's Lois Lane high above the city and says, "Do you hear anything?" and she says, "No," and he says, "I hear everything" (the implication being he HAS to play the savior, because he has the power and knows he can, and hears everyone crying for help). (In a way, it's akin to a totally different film, "Groundhog Day": Bill Murray moves from the joy of being able to do what he wants, to the pathos of wanting it all to end, to finally realizing he can use his repeating day to help everyone around him.) That kind of pressure would make a guy pretty joyless, I think.

Fire Me Boy! 06-17-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9757126)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Bowser 06-17-2013 02:20 PM

One thing Snyder and the writers completely nailed

Spoiler!

Pretty sure that was covered earlier; just wanted to say it again.

KC_Lee 06-17-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9757180)
One thing Snyder and the writers completely nailed

Spoiler!

Pretty sure that was covered earlier; just wanted to say it again.

Agreed.

Buehler445 06-17-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9757165)
Spoiler!

Ditto for the "lack of joy" comments by so many critics. We've already discussed how a movie in 2013 is going to be less joyful than one in the 1980s due to the current world situation and the current trend in superhero films. And, frankly, what would Clark Kent have to be joyous about? Especially BEFORE becoming Supes? A loner misfit outcast, last of his kind, no friends, trying to figure out who he is, dealing with weird shit... pretty much everything "Smallville" was, and previous Supes incarnations weren't. I haven't read the old comics in a while, but was Supes ever even portrayed as anything other than a Boy Scout? IIRC he landed in Smallville, the Kents found him, and next thing you know he was at the Daily Planet in a pair of glasses. The Supes mythology had no realism, no growing pains, no nuances of personality or conflict. Now that he has BECOME the Man Of Steel, maybe in the second film he'll find a little joy... but if he doesn't, so what? Even though he's all-powerful, he's still the only one of his kind, he still (maybe) can't have a relationship with Lois Lane, he's still got to deal with the pressures of saving the world... I rewatched "Superman Returns" last night (which IMO gets a bit of a bad rap), and there's one scene which could've been in this current film, where Brandon Routh lifts that film's Lois Lane high above the city and says, "Do you hear anything?" and she says, "No," and he says, "I hear everything" (the implication being he HAS to play the savior, because he has the power and knows he can, and hears everyone crying for help). (In a way, it's akin to a totally different film, "Groundhog Day": Bill Murray moves from the joy of being able to do what he wants, to the pathos of wanting it all to end, to finally realizing he can use his repeating day to help everyone around him.) That kind of pressure would make a guy pretty joyless, I think.

I think there was some joy when he kissed Lois. So much so that he made a smartass remark. I'm not really buying the no joy thing either.

Tribal Warfare 06-17-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9756931)
And watching a KU football game of all things. Curious as to why they choose KU football and not KU BBall.

Thoughts?

probably following through the all-american midwestern love for football, and in both the Donner and CW's Smallville continuity Clark favored football.

kysirsoze 06-17-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9755302)
Not breaking news but seeing Nolan far less involved is kind've a bummer but im hoping for much more in the 2nd movie.

http://screencrave.com/2013-06-11/ma...lan-returning/

Man of Steel

Following a wave of well-received preview screenings, as well as a deluge of good to great reviews (read our review here), it should come as no surprise that Warner Bros. has already fast tracked a sequel to Man of Steel, which is set for a release (and box office dominion) later this week.

Further, Warner Bros. is ensuring that their dream team that made Man of Steel—director Zack Snyder, screenwriter David Goyer, and producer Christopher Nolan—will all be returning to make Man of Steel 2. However, before you get too excited, Nolan fans, know that the Dark Knight Trilogy director will be working on Man of Steel 2 in a reduced capacity, and won’t be overseeing it quite as much as he did the first films. So go ahead and let your fears about quality control on Man of Steel 2 begin now.

The Man of Steel 2 news comes on the heels of the new Justice League info—in that, there will indeed be a Justice League film, and David Goyer will be writing it. So, can Man of Steel 2 be seen a bridge from the Supes franchise to the Justice League films, a la Iron Man 2? And, if so, can Snyder please make sure it isn’t anywhere as terrible as Iron Man 2? Are we sure Nolan isn’t too busy to just oversee this thing?

Will you be seeing Man of Steel this weekend?

Source: Deadline

"Dream team" LOL

siberian khatru 06-17-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!

This is EXACTLY right, and something I'm astounded so many critics and online commenters have missed, especially those who compare this to the Donner films.

HE'S NOT SUPES YET.

In fact, near the end, when he shows up with the crashed drone, at that point he seems much more relaxed and confident, and even makes a joke about being from Kansas. There, he seemed a lot more like Christopher Reeve's Supes. But it took a lot of shit to get him there.

Sure-Oz 06-17-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9757724)
This is EXACTLY right, and something I'm astounded so many critics and online commenters have missed, especially those who compare this to the Donner films.

HE'S NOT SUPES YET.

In fact, near the end, when he shows up with the crashed drone, at that point he seems much more relaxed and confident, and even makes a joke about being from Kansas. There, he seemed a lot more like Christopher Reeve's Supes. But it took a lot of shit to get him there.

Exactly....

This is why people got pissed cause they expected everything in 1 movie. The next one may feel more familiar.

siberian khatru 06-17-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9757030)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Deberg_1990 06-17-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!

During the Smallville fight was the one time I remember them showing Superman go out of his way to save a stranger. They showed him save a falling soldier. Then I think he saved Meloni's soldier before he got his ass kicked by Fiora.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 06-17-2013 06:35 PM

The Royals got some serious screen time there. Baseball fans everywhere probably scoffed at that. LMAO

Ku ranked #12 was awesome!!!!

No mention of the Chiefs was a little disappointing though. heh