ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The Chiefs are taking Geno #1; bank on it (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270750)

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9467549)
Understandably you're at a loss for how to argue your position.

The Browns and Eagles are dying for a young strong offensive line. Both would entertain thoughts of trading up for Joeckel, still leaving us Smith and some compensatory picks later in the draft.

Does that solidify the argument?

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9467561)
You assume that the Chiefs would actually HAVE a trade down partner. You also assume that if the Chiefs can in fact trade down, that the team trading UP wouldn't be for a QB.

When was the last time a team traded into the #1 Overall slot for anything other than a QB?

We both base upon assumptions, yours that Smith will be an offensive saviour. At least my premise is possible without risk, especially since I believe that discussing trades with Cleveland and Philly wouldn't hurt either team.

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9467561)
You assume that the Chiefs would actually HAVE a trade down partner. You also assume that if the Chiefs can in fact trade down, that the team trading UP wouldn't be for a QB.

When was the last time a team traded into the #1 Overall slot for anything other than a QB?

Ask Philly after suffering Peters, Bell, and Dunlap - especially after spending a chunk on an aging QB that used to be able to scramble, but definitely needs protection in his waning years.

keg in kc 03-05-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9467556)
We don't know who the Chiefs are going to take. That was expressed several times in my post, because at this point, it really can be any one.

The compensation for Alex Smith doesn't dictate that he's a long term solution. Whether or not he gets an extension will dictate that.

If Alex doesn't get an extension, then that is very telling of what they think of him and what their long term goals may be.

My assumption is that if Kansas City intended to use 1:1 on a quarterback, they would not be trading the 34th pick (and additional compensation) for another quarterback. They'd find a cheaper (or free) veteran if all they were looking for was a short-term mentor.

I think the moves yesterday are good in that they make the team appear more flexible, which is beneficial in an effort to trade down (which I don't think will happen), but I don't believe a QB is in any way more likely than it was 24 hours ago.

Which stings, speaking as someone who's a big geno fan. I just don't see any realistic scenario where they go that route.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9467562)
The Browns and Eagles are dying for a young strong offensive line. Both would entertain thoughts of trading up for Joeckel, still leaving us Smith and some compensatory picks later in the draft.

LMAO

The Browns are going to trade up for Joeckel........while paying their current LT $84 million over 7 years?

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 03:03 PM

Now that I think about it, Detroit definitely needs O Line help as well.

ModSocks 03-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

No they wouldn't when they can sit right where they are and have Fisher, Joeckel or Johnson fall right into their laps.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 03:04 PM

Explain to me why anyone is trading up to #1 to get that LT?

The Chiefs aren't taking a LT.
The Jaguars aren't taking a LT.
The Raiders aren't taking a LT.

ModSocks 03-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9467567)
We both base upon assumptions, yours that Smith will be an offensive saviour. At least my premise is possible without risk, especially since I believe that discussing trades with Cleveland and Philly wouldn't hurt either team.

Both the Browns and Eagles already have High Profile LT's in place. You think they're going to trade UP for a back up?

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9467577)
LMAO

The Browns are going to trade up for Joeckel........while paying their current LT $84 million over 7 years?

Well that shoots a hole in my argument, those other teams wouldn't want Joeckel either. Why is he even listed as the top pick in every single mock I have seen?

Fish 03-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

No, because the Chiefs can't plan their draft relying on what they think teams picking after them might do. You can't have the #1 pick and also approach the draft with a reactive mindset dependent on multiple other teams. Trading down is a luxury you cannot and do not plan for.

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9467583)
Explain to me why anyone is trading up to #1 to get that LT?

The Chiefs aren't taking a LT.
The Jaguars aren't taking a LT.
The Raiders aren't taking a LT.

Well, according to you and Detox, Joeckel isn't going until 7 or 8.

I will bet you 50.00 to the winner's favorite charity that Joeckel is gone before the 8th pick.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9467588)
Well that shoots a hole in my argument, those other teams wouldn't want Joeckel either. Why is he even listed as the top pick in every single mock I have seen?

Because....

1. This was before Albert was franchised.
2. The media gets a hard on mocking a LT to the Chiefs.

FFS.....Joeckel isn't even viewed as the #1 LT in this class by some.

keg in kc 03-05-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9467579)
No they wouldn't when they can sit right where they are and have Fisher, Joeckel or Johnson fall right into their laps.

That's the real issue. Why trade to #1 when you can get equivalent players not only later in the top 10, but in the latter half of the round, or even the early part of the second. I mean, seriously, what player in this class is actually worth moving up for? We're probably stuck right where we are.

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9467592)
Well, according to you and Detox, Joeckel isn't going until 7 or 8.

I will bet you 50.00 to the winner's favorite charity that Joeckel is gone before the 8th pick.

In fact, I make the same bet to Detox.