ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Doctor Who (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243362)

Jawshco 05-09-2011 12:47 AM

Oh, and eye patch lady was back- which leads you to the horrible thought that Amy is trapped inside something, and the lady behind the door may be in reality, but god I hope that's not where they're going with that.

bevischief 05-09-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7614765)
Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon should have been shown together. As a whole I liked them, but was initially disappointed with the cluster mess that was the Impossible Astronaut, however- it totally paid off in Day of the Moon. Those two episodes are inseparable, and I don't think they work as stand alones. Of course, many of the original episodes were that way too.

That last ending was fantastic! No clue who that girl is, but the season is off to a great start. Bring on the Pirates!

Could be Ace...

Jawshco 05-12-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7630411)
Could be Ace...

I love Ace, but I'm not sure how it could be her.

An interesting theory that makes a lot of sense is a split universe where Amy is simultaneously pregnant and not pregnant. Which explains the readings the doctor saw at the end of the episode.

vailpass 05-12-2011 11:05 AM

I'd like to put my Time Lord into Amy Pond's tardis and make her scream "exterminate" at the top of her lungs.
Does that make me a bad person?

Jawshco 05-15-2011 12:17 AM

Okay, the Doctor's Wife was far better that I thought it would be. I think it was the title and the crap picture on Doctor Who Magazine that had me scared. This show should not have been called "Doctor's Wife," especially when much of the season revolves around River Song and this episode didn't deal with that at all. Perhaps, the "Doctor's True Love," would have been a better title. It would have been more apropos.

I won't give big spoilers until I'm sure everyone's seen the episode, but I thought it was pretty good. Sure, Amy and Rory were pretty useless, and there were many many silly things that amounted to mere stage dressing while the main story touched on some very significant points in Doctor Who history.

It was definitey great seeing more of the Tardis, and to get a chance to revisit the 9 & 10 era Doctors' "controll room." And bunk beds!? Freaking Hilarious!

There is some speculation that one of the voices heard in the episode is that of Paul McGann, Doctor 8, but I don't think so. I want to see McGann as much as anyone, but I don't think there was any reference to him in this episode.

Overall, Gaiman did a great job with the script. It was one of the most visually interesting episodes I've ever seen in Doctor Who. It had humor, wit, and even a few creepy moments, but more than that it was a truly touching episode with a ton of heart. I rarely rewatch episodes right away, but this is one that I can't wait to see again.

Jawshco 05-15-2011 12:19 AM

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ex8s66lAlsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it Doctor 8? Naaaaah! I don't think so.

Jawshco 05-15-2011 12:23 AM

Neil Gaiman on deleted scenes and writing Doctor Who:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HQgXggaAOm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sucFxCNNYeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CWnskPJ03ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jawshco 05-15-2011 12:26 AM

Previews for Next Week's Doctor Who:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JaMNfmK4BNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who wants Fish and Chips?

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYZNrrH7Lvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TxqMIxPss9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_OT-ffbd1c8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 05-15-2011 06:45 AM

That was pretty brilliant.

Jawshco 05-16-2011 12:42 AM

Quite so, quite so. The next episode has already gotten some positive buzz as well.

bevischief 05-16-2011 02:35 AM

[QUOTE=Jawshco;7642095]Quite so, quite so. The next episode has already gotten some positive buzz as well.[/QUOTE

what have you heard?

keg in kc 05-16-2011 10:29 AM

What I'm eagerly awaiting is the enormous cliffhanger the first week of June. Although the extended break after that I'm not all that high on. It's like Battlestar Galactica all over again.

Jawshco 05-16-2011 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=bevischief;7642114]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7642095)
Quite so, quite so. The next episode has already gotten some positive buzz as well.[/QUOTE

what have you heard?

Here is what I've read from: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/05/14/doct...-free-preview/

Sounds pretty good to me. Smith has always seemed a bit Trouton-esque to me- with a little bit of Pertwee & Tennant in there as well.

20 weird, wonderful, vague and downright cryptic clues about the nature of next week’s episode

1 It’s this season’s most trad-Who episode so far, but whereas last year’s “trad” story (the Silurian two-parter) was Pertwee era, this is straight out of the Troughton years. Appropriately Matt Smith is at his most Troughton-esque.

2 It also evokes memories of “The Impossible Planet”. There’s a lot of exposition to start with, but it soon becomes very pacy claustrophobic, creepy and full of powerful, well-written character moments for the guest stars and striking images.

3 The pre-titles teaser is frankly disturbing

4 Accident Direct could have to rethink their policies in this world

5 Rory fails to score a double

6 There’s lots and lots of shaky acting (term © Suranne Jones)

7 There’s a surprising selection of pop songs

8 The Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver when simply reading would suffice

9 The Doctor reveals he’s a fan of someone

10 The Doctor pretends to be a weatherman

11 The Doctor has a great Derren Brown moment

12 Random words: “Poncy”, “cockerel”, “welly-boots”, “football”

13 The Doctor loses two of something

14 The Doctor says something again we’ve never heard him say before

15 Beware the oncoming storm

16 Someone builds a castle

17 There’s a moment straight out of The Thing, and another one straight out of Death Becomes Her

18 Someone’s first words are a big clue

19 Rory puts his foot down

2o The Doctor clearly isn’t from the North any more!

vailpass 05-16-2011 01:11 PM

Doctor's Wife was fantastic. At times it was a little dark which made it even better. Him getting killed by the space suit bothers me because I want to know WTH happened and who it was. Won't be getting satisfaction on that front any time soon I suppose.

Jawshco 05-16-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7642717)
Doctor's Wife was fantastic. At times it was a little dark which made it even better. Him getting killed by the space suit bothers me because I want to know WTH happened and who it was. Won't be getting satisfaction on that front any time soon I suppose.

Given the TARDIS's statement that "The only water in the forest is a River" I'm thinking the person in the space suite is River. Someone might travel back in time to the Forest of the Dead and put River's "program" in the suit. Since the Silence was also mentioned in the title of the Library episode, perhaps they are responsible for getting her in there. Plus we know she gets arrested for killing a good man at some point. As theories go, it's a bit out there, but if the Library episodes don't come into play Moffat will be the king of red herrings in my book.

Also, when River dies she was in a Space Suit, and both those episodes in the Library were penned by Moffet... So who knows.

vailpass 05-16-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7642750)
Given the TARDIS's statement that "The only water in the forest is a River" I'm thinking the person in the space suite is River. Someone might travel back in time to the Forest of the Dead and put River's "program" in the suit. Since the Silence was also mentioned in the title of the Library episode, perhaps they are responsible for getting her in there. Plus we know she gets arrested for killing a good man at some point. As theories go, it's a bit out there, but if the Library episodes don't come into play Moffat will be the king of red herrings in my book.

Also, when River dies she was in a Space Suit, and both those episodes in the Library were penned by Moffet... So who knows.

Interesting take.

kc rush 05-16-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

My wife started watching Dr Who with me last year, so she was asking me a bit about the River story line. I hadn't even thought about the space suit in the library and how it may be connected.

whoman69 05-17-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7640828)
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ex8s66lAlsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it Doctor 8? Naaaaah! I don't think so.

I can't find any evidence of it anywhere. I think the BBC would have announced something even if it was just a voice over.

whoman69 05-17-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7527482)
A lot of people like Eccleston, but I thought the first season was by far the weakest. The 3rd, 4th and 5th are about as good as anything on TV. David Tennant was brilliant as the doctor, and Matt Smith has turned out to be I think an inspired casting.

They do have their occasional episode with the bizarre alien (must be a british thing - mannequins and clowns and weird shit) but for every episode that has me cringing there's 5 or 6 more that blow me away.

I'm disgusted that Eccleston only played one season because he thought he would be typecast. Truth was not many knew of him before, and its still true after. There are only a certain number of regenerations and to throw one away on an actor that would only play one season was folly. They've already used a throw away doctor for the American version.

Valiant 05-17-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

That is actually really plausible.. rep..

Valiant 05-17-2011 07:56 PM

Just caught back up with the last two episodes as I had them dvr'd with no time to watch them..

I honestly liked both.. Of course I like the quirky throw off course episodes.. And the fourth one perfectly explained why they happen..

The pirate episode was good just for the ending and my hope that blackbeard and his crew might be a reoccurring characters..

The tardis/sexy was a good episode, awkward, but explained why the tardis never goes where it is wanted, but where it is needed.. Hopefully/Expect we will see/hear more of the tardis..

Jawshco 05-17-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 7645726)
I'm disgusted that Eccleston only played one season because he thought he would be typecast. Truth was not many knew of him before, and its still true after. There are only a certain number of regenerations and to throw one away on an actor that would only play one season was folly. They've already used a throw away doctor for the American version.

I like Eccelston, but you're right. RTD should have made sure that CE was going to stick around for awhile. I know that the two of them didn't get along, but Eccelston makes it sound like his plan was to be one and done all along, so I blame RTD for that.

By the American throw away, do you mean Paul McGann. I really think they could go back and still tell Doctor 8's story. I know that the Brits weren't keen on McGann, but the idea has a lot of support from US and International fans. I hope they do it, and not just as a cameo either.

keg in kc 05-22-2011 03:46 AM

That was kind of a weird episode.

Jawshco 05-22-2011 09:26 AM

I thought that the episode was okay. I don't think I'll be able to fully judge it until I see the other episode. I definitely see some old school DW elements in this episode.

A few things I liked: 1. The development of Rory's character- he talks about his family and steps up as a protector for the ganger girl. With the Doctor being a little more aloof this time around I think a Rory that reacts on behalf of the "every man" in these adventures would be great. And the Doctor keeps calling the guy Rory Pond! Ha. 2. The eye ball texture of the ganger's skin was very cool and nice and creepy. 3. The Doctor Ganger! I know we've seen this before, but I thought this rocked. It makes you wonder of the Doctor who was shot during TIA was the Ganger (assuming that a ganger could copy a timelord's regeneration cycle- which I doubt).

Overall, it's an okay beginning but let's see the next part so we can find out if this 2 parter is any good.

vailpass 05-23-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7655904)
That was kind of a weird episode.

Maybe I'm missing something but can't this be said about every Who episode?
On a related note: I set the Daleks as my phone ringer for my wife. It went off at the bar last night EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! and the woman sitting neXt to me jumped a bit and aske me "what the hell is that?" .

Jawshco 06-04-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7658286)
Maybe I'm missing something but can't this be said about every Who episode?
On a related note: I set the Daleks as my phone ringer for my wife. It went off at the bar last night EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! and the woman sitting neXt to me jumped a bit and aske me "what the hell is that?" .

LMAO that's hilarious. I'm going to have to find that now. I have the TARDIS noise ringtone, but it isn't loud enough.'

Jawshco 06-04-2011 01:14 AM

Honestly, who will be watching "Almost People" today? I couldn't wait! I watched it last week. BBCA is probably screwing their ratings by having a week's gap. Between what we see and what the Brits see. I doubt most of us are patient enough to wait! At least I'm not! I thought it was a great episode- BTW. There were some odd things that didn't quite work for me, but overall I thought it was a tightly paved adventurous episode with quite a few memorable moments that having me wanting to watch it again.

So will I be watching Almost People again today or Watching the season finale (which one reviewer has already described as the best Smith/Moffat episode to date) "A Good Man goes To War?" Well, you can probably guess...

Mr Luzcious 06-04-2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7677776)
Honestly, who will be watching "Almost People" today? I couldn't wait! I watched it last week. BBCA is probably screwing their ratings by having a week's gap. Between what we see and what the Brits see. I doubt most of us are patient enough to wait! At least I'm not! I thought it was a great episode- BTW. There were some odd things that didn't quite work for me, but overall I thought it was a tightly paved adventurous episode with quite a few memorable moments that having me wanting to watch it again.

So will I be watching Almost People again today or Watching the season finale (which one reviewer has already described as the best Smith/Moffat episode to date) "A Good Man goes To War?" Well, you can probably guess...

The end of Almost People totally makes up for any issues I had with the episode.

Rausch 06-04-2011 11:33 AM

It's almost impossible to track the chronology on Netflix.

Really starting to piss me off since the last few Doc'S have done a great job...

keg in kc 06-04-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7677776)

Yeah, I'll probably be watching them both tonight. I held off on Almost People, but I don't think I can wait a week on the, ah, midseries finale or whatever they're calling it.

Jawshco 06-04-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7677999)
Yeah, I'll probably be watching them both tonight. I held off on Almost People, but I don't think I can wait a week on the, ah, midseries finale or whatever they're calling it.

Yeah, that's as good a description as any.

The reviews coming in from my British friends is that this episode is the
Best DW since it's revival in 2006. Ha! Well, IDK if it will be, but that's a lot to live up to. This has definitely been a good season so far. I'll be watching A Good Man Goes To War this evening if all goes well.

The next episode is called Kill Hitler!? WTH.

keg in kc 06-04-2011 01:32 PM

<object width="512" height="400"><param name="movie" value="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="config_settings_suppressRelatedLinks=true&config_settings_skin=black&config=undefined&playlis t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00h9c46&config_settings_showFooter=true&" ></param><embed src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="512" height="400" FlashVars="config_settings_suppressRelatedLinks=true&config_settings_skin=black&config=undefined&pla ylist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00h9c46&config_settings_showFooter=tr ue&"></embed></object>

Jawshco 06-04-2011 03:43 PM

The relaunch of Doctor Who... I hope this is a joke, because this would be horrible:

http://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/2...on-figure.html

Third Eye 06-04-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7678144)
The relaunch of Doctor Who... I hope this is a joke, because this would be horrible:

http://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/2...on-figure.html

Pretty clearly a joke.

Jawshco 06-04-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7677993)
It's almost impossible to track the chronology on Netflix.

Really starting to piss me off since the last few Doc'S have done a great job...

I wish there was a way to request which movies would be among the streaming and which were rotated out. It would be nice to have a set of different classic DW episodes to watch every so often. I've seen every single one of the streaming DW eps on NetFlix, but it's not nearly enough. I want them to include Talons, Remembrance, Inferno, and some of the other classic episodes. They could cycle out episodes like Horror at Fang Rock and Curse of the Fenric.

Jawshco 06-04-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 7678174)
Pretty clearly a joke.

I'd hope so. Who ever created that blog spent a lot of time trying to make the Doctor into Batman!

Jawshco 06-05-2011 07:42 PM

Here are my early thoughts on the DW episode: "A Good Man Goes to War." I'll save a full review for next week. While I thought it was pretty good, it was a little overhyped to me and anything would have felt like a let down after some of the comments that I read. That being said, I did enjoy the nods to Star Wars and how Star Wars-esque the episode was. It also answered one huge question this year. So it rates high on the memorability scale, and makes you want to watch the entire season again to figure out how all the peices fit it. However, the pacing felt a bit off and certain parts of it were slightly anticlimatic, but just when you thought it was going the wrong direction something big happened. I liked it, but I'll review it more thoroughly next week or over the break.

And "Let's Kill Hitler!" is the next episode title...What a head scratcher that is.

big nasty kcnut 06-07-2011 08:10 AM

if i'm the dr. i'd kill amy pond husband and make sweet love to amy.

keg in kc 06-07-2011 12:37 PM

Haven't been able to watch the mid-finale yet, but some new who news today: season 7 is official, 14 episodes and Matt Smith will be back.

bevischief 06-07-2011 02:47 PM

A good man goes to war needs to be watched a few times to get it all.

keg in kc 06-07-2011 11:28 PM

Finally watched it, and I enjoyed it. Maybe a little exposition-heavy, but
Spoiler!

Interested in seeing where they go now. And I have a feeling Amy and Rory won't be joining The Doctor next season.

vailpass 06-08-2011 11:00 AM

Is the Doctor the 'good man' that River is in prison for murdering?

bevischief 06-08-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7685260)
Is the Doctor the 'good man' that River is in prison for murdering?

No. That hasn't been discussed yet...

bevischief 06-08-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7679426)
Here are my early thoughts on the DW episode: "A Good Man Goes to War." I'll save a full review for next week. While I thought it was pretty good, it was a little overhyped to me and anything would have felt like a let down after some of the comments that I read. That being said, I did enjoy the nods to Star Wars and how Star Wars-esque the episode was. It also answered one huge question this year. So it rates high on the memorability scale, and makes you want to watch the entire season again to figure out how all the peices fit it. However, the pacing felt a bit off and certain parts of it were slightly anticlimatic, but just when you thought it was going the wrong direction something big happened. I liked it, but I'll review it more thoroughly next week or over the break.

And "Let's Kill Hitler!" is the next episode title...What a head scratcher that is.

I plan too before it restarts in the fall. Then re-watch them all again after the next run to figure out the big picture.

Jawshco 06-09-2011 10:37 AM

Although it seems definite that Karen Gillian won't return to DW next season, and it's unlikely Arthur Davril will back- it's not
Certain that some form of their characters won't return- either older or younger.

I really want to see how this new Doctor will grow without Amy and Rory. They're so connected, but it would be great to get a new start.

John Barrowman has hinted that Capt. Jack may be back on DW next season, but I doubt he's the full time companion.

Any past companions you'd like to see return? I'd love to see Zoey return (with a new actress of course) she was from future remember? The distant year 2000! LOL. Hot karate chick in a sparkly jump suit= awesome. ;)

vailpass 06-09-2011 10:58 AM

Rory is a limp noodle, I won't even notice he's gone.
The delectable Ms. Pond is quite another story.

vailpass 06-09-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7686181)
No. That hasn't been discussed yet...

Well yes, I know it hasn't been discussed yet. I'm playing the speculation game. IMHO Part of the fun of the Doctor is taking the hints they drop and trying to put them together. I'm rarely, if ever, succesful but its fun to try.

kc rush 06-09-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7686927)
Although it seems definite that Karen Gillian won't return to DW next season, and it's unlikely Arthur Davril will back- it's not
Certain that some form of their characters won't return- either older or younger.

I really want to see how this new Doctor will grow without Amy and Rory. They're so connected, but it would be great to get a new start.

John Barrowman has hinted that Capt. Jack may be back on DW next season, but I doubt he's the full time companion.

Any past companions you'd like to see return? I'd love to see Zoey return (with a new actress of course) she was from future remember? The distant year 2000! LOL. Hot karate chick in a sparkly jump suit= awesome. ;)

Neither of the bolded statements please me.

Third Eye 06-09-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 7687037)
Neither of the bolded statements please me.

While I concur that losing Pond would be unfortunate, I would absolutely love to see Captain Jack come back.

bevischief 06-09-2011 01:26 PM

Maybe River will become the full time companion for next season since she is from his future?

Jawshco 06-09-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7687256)
Maybe River will become the full time companion for next season since she is from his future?

Hopefully, it's a younger actress playing the River that the Doctor will eventually marry. I'm not keen on seeing more of Alex Kingston.

And for me, I like Capt. Jack, but he's better in small doses, IMO. He should be a guest star not a full time companion.

keg in kc 06-09-2011 03:11 PM

I don't have starz so I won't be able to watch, but it should be interesting to see a mortal captain jack during miracle day.

I've always liked the character, although, while I'm open to people being/doing what they want, the depiction of homosexuality Davies pushes with him are sometimes too much, in terms of making me uncomfortable.

That is to say, I'm totally fine with people being gay. I just don't particularly want to watch it.

vailpass 06-09-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7687544)
I don't have starz so I won't be able to watch, but it should be interesting to see a mortal captain jack during miracle day.

I've always liked the character, although, while I'm open to people being/doing what they want, the depiction of homosexuality Davies pushes with him are sometimes too much, in terms of making me uncomfortable.

That is to say, I'm totally fine with people being gay. I just don't particularly want to watch it.

WTF? I don't know who this Captain Jack is but this doesn't sound promising. I watch Dr. Who while the kids are still awake.

keg in kc 06-09-2011 03:17 PM

Torchwood is the 'adult' version of Dr. Who. Captain Jack was still gay (or I suppose bi - I think he's equal opportunity) on Doctor Who, but sexuality is not something generally pushed on that show. Although Amy was all over the Doctor at one point last season.

keg in kc 06-09-2011 03:19 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xU4ENbt9LzY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xU4ENbt9LzY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

vailpass 06-09-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7687564)
Torchwood is the 'adult' version of Dr. Who. Captain Jack was still gay (or I suppose bi - I think he's equal opportunity) on Doctor Who, but sexuality is not something generally pushed on that show. Although Amy was all over the Doctor at one point last season.

Thanks Keg.
What did you mean about Starz? Is Who moving from BBC?

Torchwood? Looks like I've got some googling to do.

Amy Pond pushing up on the Doctor is OK; she could have gone bottomless the entire season and that would have been acceptable.

keg in kc 06-09-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7687696)
Thanks Keg.
What did you mean about Starz? Is Who moving from BBC?

No, Torchwood in the US is now airing on Starz. No change to Doctor Who, at least for now.

vailpass 06-09-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7687746)
No, Torchwood in the US is now airing on Starz. No change to Doctor Who, at least for now.

Thanks for keeping us media-impaired people informed :thumb:

kc rush 06-10-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7687333)
And for me, I like Capt. Jack, but he's better in small doses, IMO. He should be a guest star not a full time companion.

I don't mind an episode or two, but he gets on my nerves pretty quickly, and over any length of time.

I got a few episodes into the first season of Torchwood, but couldn't watch any more than that.

Jawshco 06-10-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 7689480)
I don't mind an episode or two, but he gets on my nerves pretty quickly, and over any length of time.

I got a few episodes into the first season of Torchwood, but couldn't watch any more than that.

Well... the first season of Torchwood was crap. Season 2 was better (especially toward the end), and I thought Children of Earth was even better. You get a whole new view of Capt. Jack in that season. You even get to see that non-gay side a bit. Afterall, he's an omnisexual.

keg in kc 06-10-2011 11:42 PM

Children of Earth was fantastic, as I recall.

Rausch 06-11-2011 07:01 AM

Just starting season 2 (new series) now. I think I'm 3 eps in.

So far I don't hate the new (now old) DR. as much as I thought I would...

bevischief 06-11-2011 08:56 AM

BBC America is having a mini marathon of the current season all day leading to new one tonight.

Jawshco 06-11-2011 11:35 AM

Anyone listened to or heard about The Minister of Chance?

This audio production is a spinoff of Doctor Who, that features a Time Lord that I guess escaped the Time War. The Minister doesn't feature the Doctor that I know of, but both Sly McCoy and Paul McGann are in the cast.

They're even talking about making a Minister of Chance movie.

I have no clue if it's canon or at all related to the BBC. Have any of you listened to this?

http://www.ministerofchance.com/about.htm

keg in kc 06-11-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 7691281)
Just starting season 2 (new series) now. I think I'm 3 eps in.

So far I don't hate the new (now old) DR. as much as I thought I would...

You mean Tennant?

He's pretty fantastic by the time he leaves.

Jawshco 06-11-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7691641)
You mean Tennant?

He's pretty fantastic by the time he leaves.

IMO, The very first Tennant episode, Christmas Invasion, was brilliant. The Doctor sword fighting the skully Sycorax aliens, in an Arthur Dent bathrobe was awesome. And, The Sycorax Rock! Ha! Cheesy RTD era as always, but my kids and I love watching that one.

The latter part of the season with Rose, the 3D glasses era, was good as well, but the next two seasons were progressively better.

CrazyPhuD 06-12-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7691332)
BBC America is having a mini marathon of the current season all day leading to new one tonight.

I don't think there is one tonight right? It's on hiatus until Sept.

kc rush 06-13-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7691152)
Well... the first season of Torchwood was crap. Season 2 was better (especially toward the end), and I thought Children of Earth was even better. You get a whole new view of Capt. Jack in that season. You even get to see that non-gay side a bit. Afterall, he's an omnisexual.

So is it worth suffering through season 1, or could I jump in to later episodes and not be lost?

Third Eye 06-13-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 7695152)
So is it worth suffering through season 1, or could I jump in to later episodes and not be lost?

You definitely need to watch the first season. There's some character development that I think is important. I also may be in the minority here, but I don't necessarily agree that the first season is crap. It IS the weakest, but it has its moments.

There are a few episodes you could probably skip though and not miss much.

Jawshco 06-13-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 7695152)

I don't think you could skip the entire season, but you could certainly skip about half the episodes without a problem. Here are the key episodes of season 1:

Episode 1: Gwen's origin w/ Torchwood, & introduction to the glove.
Episode 3: Ghost Machine- key for understanding Owen and Gwen.
Episode 4: Cyberwoman- Boring, but key for Ianto's background.
Episode 8: They keep Killing Susie- more about the glove
Episode 10: Out of time- key for Owen
Episode 11: Combat- key for Gwen & Rhys
Episode 12: Capt Jack Harkness- I'd personally like to never see this uber gay episode again, but it ties directly into the finale, which is probably the most Important episode of the Season.
Episode 13: End of Days- Probably the most important episode of the season. It has a bit of summary of sorts. If you had to skip a lot of the eps, this one and episode 1 are probably the most mandatory to understanding things. And
This episode ties directly to the DW episode "Utopia."

kc rush 06-13-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7695562)
I don't think you could skip the entire season, but you could certainly skip about half the episodes without a problem. Here are the key episodes of season 1:

Episode 1: Gwen's origin w/ Torchwood, & introduction to the glove.
Episode 3: Ghost Machine- key for understanding Owen and Gwen.
Episode 4: Cyberwoman- Boring, but key for Ianto's background.
Episode 8: They keep Killing Susie- more about the glove
Episode 10: Out of time- key for Owen
Episode 11: Combat- key for Gwen & Rhys
Episode 12: Capt Jack Harkness- I'd personally like to never see this uber gay episode again, but it ties directly into the finale, which is probably the most Important episode of the Season.
Episode 13: End of Days- Probably the most important episode of the season. It has a bit of summary of sorts. If you had to skip a lot of the eps, this one and episode 1 are probably the most mandatory to understanding things. And
This episode ties directly to the DW episode "Utopia."

Thanks. Rep sent.

Jawshco 06-13-2011 02:02 PM

Those are not necessarily the best episodes of Season 1, IMO, but they are what I would consider the most essential for the story line. The search for the Shoes episode is quite nice, but storywise is skippable.

Third Eye 06-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7695596)
Those are not necessarily the best episodes of Season 1, IMO, but they are what I would consider the most essential for the story line. The search for the Shoes episode is quite nice, but storywise is skippable.

Probably my favorite episode of the series.

keg in kc 06-29-2011 07:34 AM

Wow.
Quote:

WHO ARE YOU KIDDING?

Within hours of the last Private Eye being published, a panicked BBC press officer was on the blower begging to have our story about how problems behind the scenes meant there would be no full series of Doctor Who in 2012 read down the phone to him. There then followed a fumbling attempt at spin.

At 5.25 that evening BBC1’s head of communications announced on Twitter: “Doctor Who is returning. Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as the Doctor.” What the BBC would not say, however, was how many of those episodes were actually scheduled for next year.

As angry Who fans bombarded the Eye with online demands that we issue an “apology and retraction”, showrunner Steven Moffat went on the offensive. “Private Eye seems like such fun until it’s YOUR friends they’re spreading nasty, inaccurate gossip about. How horrible,” he tweeted the following morning. Which bits of the story he considered inaccurate, he would not say.

But BBC1 controller Danny Cohen was quite happy to confirm what was accurate. Cohen used a conference appearance a week after the Eye was published to officially confirm a lack of Doctor Who for 2012. “There will be some episodes, but there won’t be a full series. We won’t have a 13-part run.” He blamed Moffat’s workload, specifically the fact that he is also the executive producer of Sherlock, the second series of which he is working on right now for the BBC. “That’s the genuine reason,” he assured questioners.

Moffat himself, meanwhile, took to Twitter again with a terse message: “Misquotes and misunderstandings. But I’m not being bounced into announcing the cool stuff before we’re ready.”

He reckons? Two days later, the BBC News website gave him one hell of a bounce, publishing a story with copious quotes from Cohen, putting the full blame on Moffat for the fact that there will not be a full series of Doctor Who next year: “Sherlock success will hit Doctor Who, says BBC1 boss.”

It took just minutes for a furious Moffat to strike back on Twitter: “The scheduling of Dr Who has got NOTHING to do with Sherlock.” In response to a message from fellow writer Neil Gaiman as to whether he was “being shafted”, Moffat replied publicly: “It’s not your imagination. Unbelievable. Unacceptable.” While the BBC amended its story to include Moffat’s denial, Cohen has declined to issue any kind of clarification.

So there you go. Doesn’t sound like there are any problems behind the scenes at all, does it? But in the meantime BBC Worldwide has already started reining back its plans for Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary in 2013 because it’s worried that demand for merchandise will have dropped due to the shortage of episodes between now and then – especially if the BBC goes with one plan now being mooted for the handful of 2012 episodes, that of broadcasting them stripped across a single week.

keg in kc 07-01-2011 11:48 AM

This is pretty cool. All the title sequences from beginning to now:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjMR98ODhS4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjMR98ODhS4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

kc rush 07-01-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7725187)
This is pretty cool. All the title sequences from beginning to now:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjMR98ODhS4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sjMR98ODhS4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I dug through several Netflix episodes just to see how it changed. Cool to see it in one place.

Jawshco 07-01-2011 12:12 PM

My favorite title sequence is still the original Tom Baker sequence. I also like the latter Pertwee title sequence and the Eccleston title sequence. The colon Baker and McCoy era ones were irritating.

The new "cloudy" one is okay. I don't like that the changed the tune so much though, it was bad enough that the changed it for series four.

Jawshco 07-01-2011 12:16 PM

All the Moff vs the Beeb stuff is ridiculous. I'd hate to see DW become Americanized, but if it has to leave BBC, then so be it. It's obvious that the controller doesn't have any love for the show that is the longest running scifi program of all time. It seems like Moffat is doing all he can to keep it alive. Once he departs, we may be in for another long hiatus.

vailpass 07-01-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 7725234)
All the Moff vs the Beeb stuff is ridiculous. I'd hate to see DW become Americanized, but if it has to leave BBC, then so be it. It's obvious that the controller doesn't have any love for the show that is the longest running scifi program of all time. It seems like Moffat is doing all he can to keep it alive. Once he departs, we may be in for another long hiatus.

Why your username isn't "Doctor" or "Who" or "Dalek" or something I have no idea. This board is full of subject matter experts in all kinds of fields, you are definetely the doctor of The Doctor.

Jawshco 07-01-2011 10:00 PM

I'm an SME in a couple areas of business, but believe me there are many more who are superior experts regarding Doctor Who than I am. I just enjoy the show and listen to a podcast or two. The folks who post on the DocBacks at the Ain't it Cool News site and over at Tardis Newsroom, are true experts.

I'm a fan of the show, but as far as being a fanatic well I'm only fanatical in regards to the dude who's my avatar. I probably should change my username to something that's not my actual nickname, but I really don't care. Hey, is it my fault that there's no football to discuss right now? LOL! I like Doctor Who now, Doctor Who is cool.