ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Eric Berry ‘a bit surprised’ on lack of extension progress (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300780)

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-09-2016 03:06 PM

In all honesty I think Berry is replaceable. I mean, I really do like him, he's a thumper but he doesn't have elite range, elite cover skills and has never been an INT machine. A great safety should have all that.

notorious 07-09-2016 03:31 PM

I'm not losing any sleep.

If he wants to stay, good, if not then I will forget him.

This franchise stood behind him and paid a shitload while he was on the shelf. That has to count for something, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12308480)
In all honesty I think Berry is replaceable. I mean, I really do like him, he's a thumper but he doesn't have elite range, elite cover skills and has never been an INT machine. A great safety should have all that.

I'm with you. $11 million dollars for a safety that rarely intercepts the ball or makes game changing plays is a waste of cap space.

I know it would be extremely unpopular with the fans but I'd let him play out the Franchise Tag and draft his replacement in 2017.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12308516)

This franchise stood behind him and paid a shitload while he was on the shelf. That has to count for something, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

He will not take a "hometown discount".

If they sign him long term, he'll be the highest paid safety in the league.

notorious 07-09-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12308518)
He will not take a "hometown discount".

If they sign him long term, he'll be the highest paid safety in the league.

That's not what I was getting at.

The Chiefs paid him when he was on the shelf, which shows they want him and he has value to them. They would have cut him if not, and everyone would have understood.

They will pay Berry, and he is going to be a Chief for the next few years.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12308523)
That's not what I was getting at.

The Chiefs paid him when he was on the shelf, which shows they want him and he has value to them. They would have cut him if not, and everyone would have understood.

They will pay Berry, and he is going to be a Chief for the next few years.

I couldn't care less either way but I sure as hell hope that signing Berry won't preclude them from extending Fisher or Poe.

notorious 07-09-2016 03:46 PM

You don't want the Chiefs to extend Fisher or Poe?

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12308535)
You don't want the Chiefs to extend Fisher or Poe?

I want them to extend Fisher and Poe, so I hope that a mega-contract for Eric Berry still allows them to do so.

Easy 6 07-09-2016 03:58 PM

I couldnt be less worried, yawn

Berry wants to be here

Dorsey and co. want him here

Its a process...

notorious 07-09-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12308548)
I want them to extend Fisher and Poe, so I hope that a mega-contract for Eric Berry still allows them to do so.

Oh, I read your post incorrectly. Instead of "Won't" I saw "Will".

Sorry.

Meatloaf 07-09-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12308531)
I couldn't care less either way but I sure as hell hope that signing Berry won't preclude them from extending Fisher or Poe.

I'm definitely with you on Fisher, but a bit less so on Poe (simply due to health concerns), but I'd agree that both are more crucial than Berry. Damn, I think I just agreed with Dane! :eek:

Chiefshrink 07-09-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 12308480)

You nailed it Hog !! And why we should offer "fair $".;)

Chief Roundup 07-09-2016 04:57 PM

We all want to keep Berry, the question is what is the trade off or who is the most replaceable of the upcoming key FA on the team that includes Berry. I think we should be able to keep them all even though it is going to hard.

ThaVirus 07-09-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 12308465)
Berry is good but he ain't Ed Reed...

No shit. Ed Reed might be the best safety of all time.

Chiefshrink 07-09-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12308516)

This franchise stood behind him and paid a shitload while he was on the shelf. That has to count for something,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12308517)
I'm with you. $11 million dollars for a safety that rarely intercepts the ball or makes game changing plays is a waste of cap space.

I know it would be extremely unpopular with the fans but I'd let him play out the Franchise Tag and draft his replacement in 2017.

:thumb: