ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 65 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281658)

Rain Man 02-21-2014 10:45 PM

SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 65

The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tcwz8-EfFYE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L7SkrYF8lCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LQEpyfH_Xxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 02-21-2014 10:46 PM

In before NB4

Bowser 02-21-2014 10:49 PM

I'm going to go ahead and predict a landslide win for The Jerk in this heat.

Rain Man 02-21-2014 10:49 PM

This is a tough one. Really tough. My votes:

#1 - Little Shop of Horrors - Levi Stubbs' voice is great in this one, and I like the lyrics. It's a great scene that tackles the moral dilemma of seeking fame and fortune at the cost of others.

#2 - The Jerk - It kills me to not vote for this scene, because I really like it. "He hates cans!"

#3 - Old School - Will Ferrell is overrated, but I like Dust in the Wind.

Easy 6 02-21-2014 10:49 PM

The Jerk... Ferrell has done much better and the whole LSH fad was before my time, and even then, what little I've bothered with it says "not good enough" for this all time competition.

Rain Man 02-21-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10446247)
I'm going to go ahead and predict a landslide win for The Jerk in this heat.

You think so?

I'm wondering if we'll have a generational divide here. Will Ferrell is worshipped by a lot of younger folks who may not know the greatness of The Jerk, while those of us in the older age brackets will feel the opposite.

I do really like the Little Shop of Horrors scene, too. It may be the best scene in the movie.

Easy 6 02-21-2014 10:52 PM

I've never encountered a person so diametrically opposed to me when it comes to movies as RainMan, we're always the total opposite... you are the Mr. Glass to my Bruce Willis.

Rain Man 02-21-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10446255)
I've never encountered a person so diametrically opposed to me when it comes to movies as RainMan, we're always the total opposite... you are the Mr. Glass to my Bruce Willis.

You must like bloodshed.

Bowser 02-21-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10446253)
You think so?

I'm wondering if we'll have a generational divide here. Will Ferrell is worshipped by a lot of younger folks who may not know the greatness of The Jerk, while those of us in the older age brackets will feel the opposite.

I do really like the Little Shop of Horrors scene, too. It may be the best scene in the movie.

Eh, upon further review, maybe not.

The Jerk is an iconic movie, but those other scenes are pretty well revered also.

Easy 6 02-21-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10446256)
You must like bloodshed.

It cant be gratuitous, all bloodshed must meet my approved standards of either...

a)realism
b)realism
c)realism

If the scene doesn't do justice to the truth, I don't want to watch it.

Rain Man 02-21-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10446266)
It cant be gratuitous, all bloodshed must meet my approved standards of either...

a)realism
b)realism
c)realism

If the scene doesn't do justice to the truth, I don't want to watch it.

Apparently we do complement each other.

cosmo20002 02-21-2014 11:54 PM

How are there so many Little Shop of Horror scenes in this thing? I don't get it.

I haven't seen a single Shawshank Redemption, and as I've mentioned once or twice, nothing with Leslie Nielson. What's going on here?

BlackHelicopters 02-22-2014 09:05 AM

The Jerk

Rain Man 02-22-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10446333)
How are there so many Little Shop of Horror scenes in this thing? I don't get it.

I haven't seen a single Shawshank Redemption, and as I've mentioned once or twice, nothing with Leslie Nielson. What's going on here?

I wonder if this is a proving ground that the random number generator in Excel is not great. I sorted all the movies in alphabetical order and then used a random number generator to seed them. But there is a definite clustering of movies that I am noticing as we go.

Oh, and I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you. There were no Leslie Nielsen scenes nominated. Apparently his scenes are not generally viewed as the best movie scenes ever.

TLO 02-22-2014 09:29 AM

The Jerk made me laugh, so it gets my vote.