ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Americans on FX (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268173)

Tribal Warfare 02-04-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9378841)
With how they've portrayed Russell's character, I'd be sorely disappointed if they ever had her turn.

The father could be a character the engender sympathy, but Kerri just shoved her finger in a man's ass for the motherland - something tells me that this is not the kind of person that defects shortly thereafter.

hence the dilemma

Buehler445 02-04-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9378671)
The only thing that gets me is , when Keri Russell didn't speak Russian at the safe house with her handler.

She did when she got raped. They were trying to get her to use English.

Tribal Warfare 02-04-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9379027)
She did when she got raped. They were trying to get her to use English.

I remember her having the accent, but not speaking Russian after being pinned down in the "field combat" exercise.

Buehler445 02-05-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9379173)
I remember her having the accent, but not speaking Russian after being pinned down in the "field combat" exercise.

I believe she said "Nien". I don't know. Sounded good enough to be believable to me.

DJ's left nut 02-07-2013 03:39 PM

Another good episode but I thought they 'warmed' Elizabeth entirely too quickly.

2 days ago she was willing to roast her family on a spit for Mother Russia. Now she's being criticizing mission objectives and getting all giggly while piercing her daughters ears at midnight.

Wait....I forgot. It's a woman we're talking about here. Since when did their emotions run evenly for more than 15 minutes straight?

Retracted. FX hit the nail on the head.

kcxiv 02-07-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9385495)
Another good episode but I thought they 'warmed' Elizabeth entirely too quickly.

2 days ago she was willing to roast her family on a spit for Mother Russia. Now she's being criticizing mission objectives and getting all giggly while piercing her daughters ears at midnight.

Wait....I forgot. It's a woman we're talking about here. Since when did their emotions run evenly for more than 15 minutes straight?

I was about to say dude is a women! lol

Anyways, so far so good. Its keeping me interested. I just need to remind myself the setting is in the 80's not current times. lol im always waiting for a cell phone or some high tech and its not happening really. haha then im like oh yeah, 80's lol

Buehler445 02-08-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9385495)

I think they did a decent enough job of making the event of smoking off of that dude that raped her a kind of turning point, at least a point of reflection. And the smoking off of that dude that raped her provided some closure on getting raped and all the trauma associated.

I can empathize with her position. The draw between country and children is tough. Being married for 20 years to someone you know nothing about and your commie bastard government told you to marry is tough. The whole identity crisis is very interesting to me. Bottom line, I'm OK with Keri Russell's character.

On the whole, I'm really impressed with it so far. There is a little bit of nostalgia going on, and the workings WITHOUT technology is interesting. The characters are interesting. I'm all in.

Buehler445 02-08-2013 12:50 AM

In other news, I gotta be a spy. They **** all the time.

jiveturkey 02-08-2013 10:30 AM

I wonder if we developed a spy program anywhere close to what the Russians were pulling off back in the day.

I would think that it would be a shitty assignment. Russians get to come here for most of their adult life, getting sent in the other direction would be a nightmare.

DJ's left nut 02-08-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9386595)
On the whole, I'm really impressed with it so far. There is a little bit of nostalgia going on, and the workings WITHOUT technology is interesting. The characters are interesting. I'm all in.

That's easily my favorite part. They're doing a spy show without all the spy gadgets. They're doing it at the ground level with the nasty, garote wire kinds of shit that actually happened. Seeing them do a spy show with technology that's 30 years old is really fascinating.

And it has some quick lines here and there that I think are just brilliant. "You and God have had a misunderstanding" was blood chilling and for some reason "Anyway...I took his caviar" and the delivery of it just cracked me up.

Quote:

I wonder if we developed a spy program anywhere close to what the Russians were pulling off back in the day.
Yeah, we did. It's pretty staggering how much better we were than the Russians at almost everything. I read a story once that kinda combined both our spy network and our technology. The Russians were running subs off our coasts and thinking they were all discreet about it. We had a person inside that had intercepted the positions of the entire Soviet submarine fleet. So we put attack subs behind each one of them within sonar range.

Then popped them all with a single active ping at the same time.

They had to have absolutely shit themselves. Not only did we know where they were, but our subs were so much quieter than theirs that we were able to park right behind them without them having the foggiest idea. We essentially just told them that we could've sunk every active submarine they had right then and there.

When the USSR fell and we got more of a presence in Russia, we learned that most of the 'big bad boogeyman' in Russia was a myth. Credit to them - they had us convinced with little more than bluffs and bravado. We'd have flattened the USSR in months.

BlackHelicopters 02-10-2013 10:18 AM

So far, this is a must see. DVR it. Well worth it.

Buehler445 02-10-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9391288)
So far, this is a must see. DVR it. Well worth it.

I agree. There is a lot of opportunity to **** it all up, but it is a must see for me until they do. It's got me all wound up. DJ's Left Nut explained much more articulately than I can.

lewdog 02-10-2013 12:23 PM

Girlfriend and I DVRd it after I saw this thread. I am in. First two episodes were very good and love the twist with the new neighbor.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-10-2013 12:59 PM

Yeah, definately added to the rotation of few shows I watch. Still nothing worth a shit on the networks though!!

Frankie 02-10-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9391457)
Girlfriend and I DVRd it after I saw this thread. I am in. First two episodes were very good and love the twist with the new neighbor.

My DVR only recorded 8 minutes of episode 2. :(

They have been rebroadcasting all of the episodes EXCEPT THAT ONE!!!

But anyway, there has been a few shows that my wife and I started getting into only to see them cancelled. I'm tired of that shit. I have taken to DVRing new shows of intrigue and not watching them until I make sure they are hits. My external hard disc allows me to do that.

That said, the recorded Americans episodes that I have collected all have weird lengths, like 1:09 or 1:12 etc. What gives? Isn't this a one hour show?