ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The Chiefs are taking Geno #1; bank on it (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270750)

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9467707)
I still believe there is a chance the Chiefs could take Geno. It depends on the compensation that the Chiefs have agreed to with the 49ers.

If it's truly this year's 2nd+ then i doubt it because they have decided that Alex Smith is the guy. An extension will be coming along with trade. If it's a swap of 2nd or something less then they could very well trade for Alex and draft Geno as a QBoTF.

Alex Smith will NOT be happy if the Chiefs draft a guy in the top 3 rounds though.

Alex Smith will also be pretty pissed if he has a really good year, gets knocked out for a couple of games (and history says it will happen to him) and then the team has to rely on Dick Stanzi to keep them in playoff contention.

Who would you rather take the reigns if something happens to ASmith-- Geno or Dick?

Bowser 03-05-2013 04:05 PM

Oh yeah. Forgot about Stanzi. Forget everything, we're saved.

Fish 03-05-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9467745)
You don't care if you QB gets pissed at the end of his run with the team, not the beginning.

I know everyone hates the trade etc but if the Chiefs have traded that much for Alex Smith then they aren't going to want him pissed off from Day 1.

We've heard dozens of stories over the last few weeks about how Smith was a great team player and never spoke out about the 15 dozen times he was benched. He'll be fine. It's a business.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 04:06 PM

It is not out of this world to believe that Andy Reid and John Dorsey view the gaping hole that we have at QB as the #1 priority to fix. They can simply do that by trading a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith and taking a QB at 1.1.

Alex Smith gives Andy Reid the opportunity to win now and bring a winning mentality back to this team. Geno Smith/Matt Barkley give Reid the opportunity to build for the future.

Hootie 03-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9467769)
IF this front office takes a QB at 1.1 (be in Barkley or Geno Smith)....you're going to see 2 things.

1. Andy Reid will public ally declare that Alex Smith is his starting QB.
2. Geno/Barkley will not come off the bench at any time during that first season (barring an injury or an 0-16 season).

100% fine with me and 100% the right move IMO. Maybe Reid sees all the talent in the world in Geno but wants a year to coach him up while having a good game manager help install a winning attitude in the locker room by winning games. If we go 8-8 with Alex Smith and groom Geno while showing some of these young players what it feels like to win games Andy Reid is a genius.

Mr. Laz 03-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9467755)
1. We don't know exactly WHAT the compensation is.
2. You realistically can trade that for Alex Smith and let him play out the remainder of his 2 years. He hasn't proven shit and he's moving to an offense where he's going to be asked to do a lot more than he did in SF. Giving him a contract extension would be on the Cassel level of stupid.

1. You're right, we don't know what the compensation is and i have included that in my comments as a qualifying factor. I hope they didn't spend that much because IF they did then they don't consider Alex Smith a stopgap and we are unlikely to draft a QB until the 4-ish round or later.

2. You're just hoping ... possible but not likely.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9467784)
100% fine with me and 100% the right move IMO. Maybe Reid sees all the talent in the world in Geno but wants a year to coach him up while having a good game manager help install a winning attitude in the locker room by winning games. If we go 8-8 with Alex Smith and groom Geno while showing some of these young players what it feels like to win games Andy Reid is a genius.

It's the best case scenario right now. I still only put it happening at like 30-35% though.

It makes more sense than drafting another 3-4 DE or a #2 CB.

RealSNR 03-05-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9467781)
It is not out of this world to believe that Andy Reid and John Dorsey view the gaping hole that we have at QB as the #1 priority to fix. They can simply do that by trading a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith and taking a QB at 1.1.

Alex Smith gives Andy Reid the opportunity to win now and bring a winning mentality back to this team. Geno Smith/Matt Barkley give Reid the opportunity to build for the future.

I keep going back to that opening press conference.

Andy Reid said, "We gotta do everything we can to find that next Len Dawson. Whether that means trading for a guy, drafting... maybe he's already here on the roster. But it's my job to find him."

Well, this certainly qualifies as "doing everything." They're leaving no stone unturned if they go this route.

Ming the Merciless 03-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9467020)
Now that I sit here and read this and the responses, I think Reid/Dorsey are going for Barkley. I think they are going to try and convince a team to trade up for our pick to draft Geno, then they will slide back a bit, but still in the top 10, and take Barkley and use Alex as insurance to make sure Barkley heals properly.

I can see this as well

KCWolfman 03-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9467770)
I can see it happening.

The people arguing for why Geno at #1 to the Chiefs is still a conceivable and perhaps even logical pick are gonna get labeled dumbasses who believe that's what the Chiefs will do.

I just want to reiterate this right now: I don't believe there are more than a handful of people who believe Geno in a Chiefs uniform after the draft is very likely at all. But it's a possibility, and that's what we talk about on football forums.

If all we ever did was talk about shit that was likely or predictable, this would be Warpaint Forum, Arrowhead Addict, or one of those other shitty boards where fans don't have real opinions. They just sit back and say, "It's not my decision, let's just wait and see."

This

Bowser 03-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9467779)
We've heard dozens of stories over the last few weeks about how Smith was a great team player and never spoke out about the 15 dozen times he was benched. He'll be fine. It's a business.

To take this thought further, Kaepernick himself said that Alex wasn't only a complete stand up guy after he lost the starting gig, but was also a defacto coach on the sideline. Kap heaped a ton of praise on Alex for how he helped him come along.

ModSocks 03-05-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9467801)
To take this thought further, Kaepernick himself said that Alex wasn't only a complete stand up guy after he lost the starting gig, but was also a defacto coach on the sideline. Kap heaped a ton of praise on Alex for how he helped him come along.

Can't be. Frankie told me yesterday that Drafting Geno would create an immediate controversy and a volatile locker room.

Mr. Laz 03-05-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9467801)

Even if Alex Smith shits gold and gives Geno Smith a blowjob every day, it makes no sense. You don't trade a 1st and 3rd+ only to draft a QB with the 1st pick.

Picking up a guy like Hasselbeck or something would be the move. Garrard.

I know people don't want to give up hope but the cost of the Alex Smith trade will tell us a lot when we find out.

Bowser 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9467817)
Even if Alex Smith shits gold and gives Geno Smith a blowjob every day, it makes no sense. You don't trade a 1st and 3rd+ only to draft a QB with the 1st pick.

Picking up a guy like Hasselbeck or something would be the move. Garrard.

I know people don't want to give up hope but the cost of the Alex Smith trade will tell us a lot when we find out.

I understand what you're getting at, but like I said to Wolfman, I really don't care what they throw at the quarterback position. Throw as many picks/free agents in there as it takes to get that position solidified.

We WILL NOT win anything in this league until the QB spot on this team is fixed, and that includes taking the best tackle/end/corner/receiver, or any other position out there. No quarterback (and these days, a backup QB as well), and you might as well just accept you won't win in the playoffs in spite of what happened in the regular season.

Hammock Parties 03-05-2013 04:26 PM

Hey a good thread, finally.