ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 10 can disable pirated games and illegal hardware (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293949)

Mr. Laz 08-16-2015 07:41 PM

Windows 10 can disable pirated games and illegal hardware

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...-hardware.aspx

Microsoft can disable your pirated games and illegal hardware
Atomic

Friday 14 August 2015 | Comment Now
Updated EULA terms let Microsoft invade your Windows 10 computer in search of counterfeit software.

Microsoft's updated European Licence Agreement terms and conditions let it disable any counterfeit software or hardware and, if you're running a Windows 10 computer, you've just agreed to them.

Section 7b – or “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms” – of Microsoft's Services EULA stipulates that it “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

This means that, if you use Windows 10, a Windows phone, or any of Microsoft's other services, Redmond can disable any games you've pirated or devices you've unlawfully hacked.

While it's incredibly clear what Microsoft means by “counterfeit games”, the wording “unauthorised hardware peripheral devices” is a little hazy. Does this mean Microsoft can now block uncertified PC or illegally-modified Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers? Furthermore, Microsoft's EULA doesn't state if it will also disable other counterfeit software, such as cracked versions of Office or Adobe Photoshop, or if it only cares about pirated games.

I've reached out to Microsoft for a comment about these unanswered questions and will update you when more information becomes available.

Video game piracy, or “counterfeit games” as Microsoft puts it, has been a big issue in PC gaming for a long time. Many developers have sought to circumvent it by hard-coding impossible odds into their games, which are only solved by having a purchased activation code on your computer. The same issue is also now becoming prevalent on Android and jailbroken iOS devices. However, under Microsoft's new EULA, Windows 10 Mobile would be able to combat any pirated software a user loads onto their phone – potentially making it an attractive prospect for indie developers scared of having their work stolen.

Interestingly, Microsoft killed off its incredibly unpopular, DRM-heavy, Windows Live Games in Windows 10, and opted to support Steam instead. But, with these new terms and conditions, Microsoft has practically baked DRM into the core of Windows 10.

This article originally appeared at alphr.com

GloucesterChief 08-16-2015 11:04 PM

I am sure hackers are drooling over finding the backdoor MS built in to do this.

Psyko Tek 08-16-2015 11:28 PM

should be done by tomorrow?

lawrenceRaider 08-17-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11665093)
I am sure hackers are drooling over finding the backdoor MS built in to do this.

No kidding. I "upgraded" the laptop we do nothing but check email/etc on, but I'm not going to do my desktop at this point. Though I would say that the laptop running Windows 10 runs smoother at this point than it did with Windows 7. Edge seems like a massive upgrade over IE, though I mostly let Google steal everything by using Chrome.

Fish 08-17-2015 09:57 AM

This is mostly fear mongering nonsense. The only thing Microsoft could possibly legally remove is stuff that requires the Microsoft App Store to run. Which is not a lot, and it isn't even games that are in demand at all. It's not legal for them to uninstall anything other than Microsoft stuff. Likewise with the hardware aspect. They cannot touch something like a jailbroken iPhone or rooted Android device. They simply can't. Their EULA doesn't/can't cover stuff like that.

Quote:

Does this mean Microsoft can now block uncertified PC or illegally-modified Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers? Furthermore, Microsoft's EULA doesn't state if it will also disable other counterfeit software, such as cracked versions of Office or Adobe Photoshop, or if it only cares about pirated games.
The answer to all these questions is emphatically no. It's not possible at all.

Fish 08-17-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11664244)
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...-hardware.aspx

Atomic

Friday 14 August 2015 | Comment Now
Updated EULA terms let Microsoft invade your Windows 10 computer in search of counterfeit software.

Microsoft's updated European Licence Agreement terms and conditions let it disable any counterfeit software or hardware and, if you're running a Windows 10 computer, you've just agreed to them.

And what's with this typo? Where did that come from? European Licence(sic) Agreement? European huh?

loochy 08-17-2015 11:29 AM

I have pirated versions of all kinds of stuff, including Microsoft products. Hell, my WINDOWS is prated. Nothing has been disabled.

srvy 08-17-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 11665577)
I have pirated versions of all kinds of stuff, including Microsoft products. Hell, my WINDOWS is prated. Nothing has been disabled.

How did you get win 10 to install free over a pirated copy of win 7 or whatever.

Hell I have a copy or Trimble Geomatics Office for GPS baseline processing that I have kept an old copy of XP on and never bothered to upgrade for fear some the features would not work. Its been confirmed to me it will run fine on win 10. But of course xp was not included on the free update. Its not a big deal to me but if could install free the win 10 id give it a go if not xp does what i need. Its part of my Land Surveying moonlighting package ;)

loochy 08-17-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11665836)
How did you get win 10 to install free over a pirated copy of win 7 or whatever.

Hell I have a copy or Trimble Geomatics Office for GPS baseline processing that I have kept an old copy of XP on and never bothered to upgrade for fear some the features would not work. Its been confirmed to me it will run fine on win 10. But of course xp was not included on the free update. Its not a big deal to me but if could install free the win 10 id give it a go if not xp does what i need. Its part of my Land Surveying moonlighting package ;)

I used a rearm/reset type hack that reset the available trial period in which a valid product key wasn't required. The upgrade installed over it just fine. I was a bit surprised that it didn't deny me.

Fish 08-17-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11665836)

Microsoft doesn't care if your current Win7 is pirated or not. You're still entitled to a free upgrade. They've already stated that. You can install Win10 regardless of your current Win7 status. But if you are using a pirated version, and the key you used doesn't show as genuine, then Win10 will be put into a trial mode for 30 days.

But that really doesn't matter in the long run, as once Win10 is installed, trial mode or not, you can simply use Microsoft Toolkit 2.5.3 to then activate Windows again and life goes on. They want people to upgrade, and they will overlook a lot as long as you continue to run Windows OS.

unlurking 08-17-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11665870)
...They want people to upgrade, and they will overlook a lot as long as you continue to run Windows OS.

...and... You're willing to overlook an OS that by default allows Microsoft to upload all of your private documents and emails to their cloud services, be assigned a unique advertising key, and who knows what else.

I have not installed the upgrade based on the new eula and privacy concerns. Hoping there is enough backlash to change it, but not counting on it. I'm just going off the uproar right now as I've got too much work / RL going on right now to mess with it. 6 months from now I'll look again.
http://i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

Fish 08-17-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11665927)
...and... You're willing to overlook an OS that by default allows Microsoft to upload all of your private documents and emails to their cloud services, be assigned a unique advertising key, and who knows what else.

I have not installed the upgrade based on the new eula and privacy concerns. Hoping there is enough backlash to change it, but not counting on it. I'm just going off the uproar right now as I've got too much work / RL going on right now to mess with it. 6 months from now I'll look again.

Again, the overwhelming majority of the stuff you're describing is completely overblown/misinterpreted. Some of that is flat wrong and was only applicable to Developer Preview versions. Most of that stuff happens already with current versions of Windows 7/8. If privacy concerns prevent you from using Windows 10, then you probably shouldn't be using any Windows OS or Firefox/Chrome.

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11665944)
Again, the overwhelming majority of the stuff you're describing is completely overblown/misinterpreted. Some of that is flat wrong and was only applicable to Developer Preview versions. Most of that stuff happens already with current versions of Windows 7/8. If privacy concerns prevent you from using Windows 10, then you probably shouldn't be using any Windows OS or Firefox/Chrome.

Agree with all of this. It's silly.

unlurking 08-17-2015 03:16 PM

I keep hearing that kind of response a lot. Very similar to the responses many people had about privacy concerns with the PATRIOT Act. It's silly to think the government would care about your data. It's silly.

Asking typical home users to opt-out of these new "features", and then NOT ACTUALLY disabling these features is a bit creepy.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-to-microsoft/

Like I said, I haven't researched it directly and I'm sure there is a lot of overblown stuff. At the same time, there's enough evidence out there to cause concern.

But Microsoft isn't like the government, right? So we don't have to worry?

unlurking 08-17-2015 03:29 PM

Oh, and I'll freely admit I'm probably a little more paranoid than most. I switch from Ubuntu to Mint after that Unity/Amazon crap.