ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Red Dawn remake: How America was extorted to alter its enemy. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302297)

Nickhead 09-18-2016 12:45 AM

Red Dawn remake: How America was extorted to alter its enemy.

This should actually go in DC but...

Did anyone follow the storyline involving the drama between Hollywood and China when this movie was set for release?

China was so offended that they were portrayed as the invading force that they told Hollywood if not changed, they would stop doing business in America. Hollywood then caved. It took almost three years to digitally alter the chinese emblem before the movie could be released.

Just curious if anyone noticed like I did that when America is threatened by a superpower, it usually acquiesces.

Chiefspants 09-18-2016 01:01 AM

Are you high?

Also, DC.

Nickhead 09-18-2016 01:02 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DMsW56eegDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

funny you ask, but why you ask? do you fear i made this story up?:D

RINGLEADER 09-18-2016 03:10 PM

I have an office a couple doors down from one of the producers of this and I can tell you that is not exactly what happened.

mdstu 09-18-2016 03:26 PM

Yeah, I'm sure that it had nothing to do with alienating 1.3 Billion people from potential ticket sales.

keg in kc 09-18-2016 03:43 PM

I didn't realize 'America' was synonymous with 'Hollywood'.

Dammit Obama.

displacedinMN 09-18-2016 04:19 PM

What year is this? Red dawn remake sucked.

Bowser 09-18-2016 06:13 PM

Anyone else picture Nickhead getting just high as **** then coming to ChiefsPlanet to share his various random thoughts?

Nickhead 09-18-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12435431)
What year is this? Red dawn remake sucked.

correct the remake was bad.

Nickhead 09-18-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 12435222)
I have an office a couple doors down from one of the producers of this and I can tell you that is not exactly what happened.

well, by now you would think one would know that the media doesn't tell the whole story.

Quote:

The filming of Red Dawn was completed back in 2010, but was shelved for two years after declaring bankruptcy amid financing troubles coupled with a barrage of criticism from the Asian nation which happens to hold about $1.12trillion of U.S. debt.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4Kem8nW63
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
its the first time in history a movie was edited due to external forces. (i made that part up :D)

btw: what version were you presented with? i dont buy it was due to potential box office sales. not many chinamen would want to see america win a war.

Nickhead 09-18-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12435832)
Anyone else picture Nickhead getting just high as **** then coming to ChiefsPlanet to share his various random thoughts?

that may be a fairly accurate assessment. aside from the 'getting' part :D

not sure how irritating ya'll find me, but i find you all amusing as hell. :D

keg in kc 09-18-2016 07:16 PM

Marketing to China is a gigantic facet of movie production these days. They're a gigantic audience and US domestic sales have taken a pretty steady (almost exponential now with streaming and HD...) nosedive since the mainstream introduction of home video starting in the 80s. Overseas box office is essential.

Rausch 09-19-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12436066)
Marketing to China is a gigantic facet of movie production these days. They're a gigantic audience and US domestic sales have taken a pretty steady (almost exponential now with streaming and HD...) nosedive since the mainstream introduction of home video starting in the 80s. Overseas box office is essential.

I don't know if this is true or not but I hear it's why Disney/Marvel have been releasing many of their movies over seas first and then America a week later...

underEJ 09-19-2016 11:01 AM

Only 20 foreign movies get a China release every year. Many studios have taken to making partnerships with Chinese companies to be able to call their movie a co-production and not be subject to that limit. Any Chinese production company is partially operated by the state, and that significantly complicates things. Even co-productions are often pulled from theaters if they do better than a local only product. It is extremely complicated business but with a huge audience market that makes it worthwhile. I don't know the Red Dawn story, but it could have been as simple as one trusted US based "expert" consultant saying you should change that for future opportunities. I can't imagine they ever thought they'd get a release there, so it was likely only about future opportunities, and it was only because it would be seen in pirated form as most US movies are seen there. That is a long way from being an open market.

Russia on the other hand is a frequent early target because american movies do really well there, and it is good news to start off with a great opening. Each country is different which is why it costs alot more to distribute internationally than domestically. The order of openings is complex, like never open in Germany before other European countries because they like a really long thorough trailer that gives the whole story away. Can't let that get on the internet before other markets where people don't like to know the whole story before seeing the movie.

The best returns on a movie by percentage are still domestic and that won't change for a while longer, but the overseas markets are crucial to movies with 100m plus budgets. The financing for movies is now global even for most indies so the market will follow the money. You really can stop calling out "Hollywood" now. "They" really don't exist anymore.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12436744)
I don't know if this is true or not but I hear it's why Disney/Marvel have been releasing many of their movies over seas first and then America a week later...

Most studios that are opening early in China are doing so to avoid piracy