ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Opeth unveils a new song from their next album Heritage (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247725)

Chiefspants 07-28-2011 02:38 AM

Opeth unveils a new song from their next album Heritage

http://stereogum.com/766792/opeth-th...ng-the-chapel/

I have not a clue how to process this song at the present time, it definitely has the most exotic feel out of any Opeth song I have ever heard.

First impressions-
-I like it, I think.
-Every member had a chance to shine, Axenrot easily put in his most impressive drumming performance to date, Mendez came in with an exotic bass line in the latter parts of the track, the keyboards were quite jazzy and unique, and Fredrik had an incredible solo at the end of the song.
-Mikael’s vocals and creativity seem to have reached a new level with this track.

I will definitely be listening to this track throughout the night to further develop my opinions, but I must say, I am impressed at the first listen. I cannot wait for the rest of the album, if this the single from Heritage, imagine the content of the rest of the tracks!

QuikSsurfer 07-28-2011 06:11 AM

ehhhhhhhhhh

Reaper16 07-28-2011 07:06 AM

It's actually got guest percussion and flute. Swedish flautists Bjorn Jason Linsdh appears, and Alex Acuņa, the drummer for WEATHER REPORT, plays drums here (which is why the drumming on this song sounds so much closer to Martin Lopez' play than whay Axenrot usually plays).

Molitoth 07-28-2011 07:23 AM

I love it, then again I'm a huge fan of Mikael’s clean style vocal.

asdf 07-28-2011 11:42 AM

Very cool....love the old school fusion influence - I'll definitely get the album when it's released

Demonpenz 07-28-2011 11:51 AM

I can really hear the Sugarbomb influence in there.

Chiefspants 07-28-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7780254)
It's actually got guest percussion and flute. Swedish flautists Bjorn Jason Linsdh appears, and Alex Acuņa, the drummer for WEATHER REPORT, plays drums here (which is why the drumming on this song sounds so much closer to Martin Lopez' play than whay Axenrot usually plays).

I actually wondered if Acuņa played on this track as well, but I found an interview with Mikael that revealed that he is only featured on the song "Famine," What were your impressions of the song, Reaper?

Mama Hip Rockets 07-28-2011 12:29 PM

This is awful. Opeth fans are so jaded by their obsession with the band that they can't admit it, but this seriously sucks. If you have to listen to it 6 or 7 times to decide whether you like it or not, that usually means it's not good.

vailpass 07-28-2011 12:45 PM

*shudder*

Reaper16 07-28-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 7780830)
I actually wondered if Acuņa played on this track as well, but I found an interview with Mikael that revealed that he is only featured on the song "Famine," What were your impressions of the song, Reaper?

Hmm. Stereogum lied to their readership then.

My impressions? I like it, I guess. It sounds like an Opeth song; sort of derivative in that sense. I don't wanna' analyze it until I can listen to it in the context of the full album.

Chiefspants 07-28-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 7780951)
This is awful. Opeth fans are so jaded by their obsession with the band that they can't admit it, but this seriously sucks. If you have to listen to it 6 or 7 times to decide whether you like it or not, that usually means it's not good.

Haha, I am unsure about that, a good portion of fans on the Opethforum are quite alienated by the release. However, I am excited that the band is at least attempting to go in this new direction, as much as many of their fans would have loved a re-hash of Still Life, they are experimenting with a style that they have always wanted create, and I believe there is something to be admired in that.

Mama Hip Rockets 07-28-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 7781112)
Haha, I am unsure about that, a good portion of fans on the Opethforum are quite alienated by the release. However, I am excited that the band is at least attempting to go in this new direction, as much as many of their fans would have loved a re-hash of Still Life, they are experimenting with a style that they have always wanted create, and I believe there is something to be admired in that.

90% of the comments on facebook are like "OMG THIS IS SO ****ING INCREDIBLE!!!!"

Reaper16 07-28-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 7781137)
90% of the comments on facebook are like "OMG THIS IS SO ****ING INCREDIBLE!!!!"

The people that comment on official Facebook fan pages, of anything, are never the most discerning, objective individuals. I mean, it wouldn't be pretty if all Chiefs fans were generalized out of the behavior of the people who comment on the Chiefs official FB page.

asdf 07-28-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 7780951)

meh - to each their own - though I agree that some "fans" will like anything their beloved bands release, even if it's crap. I never really cared for Opeth in the past except for a couple of tunes. I'm certainly not a "fan". I just happen to like fusion/progressive music. This song, more than the others I've heard by them, appeals to me on that level...

Chiefspants 07-28-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7781145)
The people that comment on official Facebook fan pages, of anything, are never the most discerning, objective individuals. I mean, it wouldn't be pretty if all Chiefs fans were generalized out of the behavior of the people who comment on the Chiefs official FB page.

Totally, I cannot tell you how many CASSEL IS THE BEST comments I have seen on the chiefs official page.