ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Post your top 5 rock bands of all time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267183)

Frazod 11-29-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161354)
jesus, it's like every band I can't stand:

Here's my 'bottom 5', i.e. bands that are revolting ear vomit that make me want to stab my ears out with a rusty ice pick :

1. Styx
2. REO ****ing Speedwagon
3. Foreigner
4. Boston
5. Journey

I mean, females over the age of 40 get a pass on listening to such schlocky drivel, but goddamn, I have to change the channel. Those 5 bands are the reason why I can't listen to the 'classic rock radio' format. It's such whiny girlie CRAP. Just my opinion...but the music from all 5 of those bands is, like, salt-peter limp.

Your opinion sucks shit.

DMAC 11-29-2012 11:11 AM

Zepp
Floyd
Tool
Radiohead
Alice In Chains

Lonewolf Ed 11-29-2012 11:16 AM

1) Black Sabbath (Ozzy years)
2) Led Zeppelin
3) The Who
4) Ozzy Osbourne
5) Dio (Black Sabbath years and solo, plus Rainbow)

KurtCobain 11-29-2012 11:17 AM

Nirvana
Korn
Sublime
Eagles
Beastie Boys

Buck 11-29-2012 11:17 AM

Sweeeeeet Caroliiiine bah baaah baaaah SHUT THE **** UP

kc rush 11-29-2012 11:18 AM

Rush
Cheap Trick
The Beatles
The Who
Pink Floyd

htismaqe 11-29-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9161301)
:rockon:

Posion
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Skid Row
Anthrax

REMOVE THAT SMILIE IMMEDIATELY. And turn in your Headbanger card as well.

Huffmeister 11-29-2012 11:21 AM

1) Rush
2) Yes
3) Porcupine Tree
4) Dream Theater
5) Pink Floyd

#1 Guilty Pleasure) Insane Clown Posse

htismaqe 11-29-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9161318)
word. couldn't imagine if I was just a little older then how many of those bands I'd have seen live in their prime or while Brad Nowell was still alive. Would've made for great memories. I've seen KoRn, NIN, Sublime with Rome, Tool. All past their prime, but Tool I seen them when they released Lateralus. Ahhh good times.

I saw Tool in the summer of 1992 before anybody really knew who they were. They were on the 2nd stage at Lollapalooza.

The headliners? Rage Against the Machine, Fishbone, Primus, Alice in Chains...JFC what a day.

Huffmeister 11-29-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9161211)
Tool
Disturbed
Def Leppard
Metallica
Journey

Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever seen Tool and Journey in the same list (of anything).

htismaqe 11-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9161358)
Your opinion sucks shit.

No, he's pretty much dead-on right. :D

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9161342)
Yeah no doubt they were the first and changed history. No argument there. I just hate their sound.

I know it's a me thing. I've come to accept that.

Understandable.

But to me, 'the Beatles' went through 5 extremely different phases, and as a result can almost sound like 5 different bands :

1. early days - fast swinging 'beat' rock and roll w/huge soul/Motown influence on ballads...lots of 'boy-meets-girl' lyrics. (1962-64)

2. middle period - marked by more lyrical and instrumental experimentation; transitional period, but progressive (1965)

3. Psychedelia - complete sonic and aesthetic overhaul; music was in black and white before; the Beatles made it in technicolor with Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. Orchestral, hall, jazzy flairs, eastern influence - a complete and total synthesis of every existing type of music on earth.

4. The soloists - (1968) - for the White Album, they worked on each song almost as a 'solo performer' with a backing band. Stripped of psychedelic trappings, earnest and raw, again reaching heights no one before had attained. Hey Jude and Revolution date from this period, as do Lady Madonna and Old Brown Shoe. The first (and superior) Across the Universe dates from this period.

5. The End - where they finally coalessed into a complete whole one last time to make the grand definitive statement in Abbey Road. They had never sounded better, before or since, either together or apart.

So, to me...'their sound' is a bit of a misnomer; they were very broad.

ILChief 11-29-2012 11:25 AM

Guns N' Roses
Pearl Jam
Metallica
AC
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mile High Mania 11-29-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161331)
What'd you think of the new album, Different Kind of Truth??

I liked it a lot, and thought the show from the Sprint Center was awesome.

Here's a recording I made if you want :

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=408185

I really liked it... wish they had released something other than Tatoo as their first song. Stay Frosty grew on me.

Outta Space, Blood and Fire - those are my two favorites from the album.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161394)
No, he's pretty much dead-on right. :D

Exactly.

You could throw 'Bon Jovi' on there as well, but I refuse to consider them an actual band at this point...they're just an aberration that I will not acknowledge.

Like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man...if you don't think about it, it doesn't exist.

Reerun_KC 11-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161354)
jesus, it's like every band I can't stand:

Here's my 'bottom 5', i.e. bands that are revolting ear vomit that make me want to stab my ears out with a rusty ice pick :

1. The Who
2. Pink Floyd
3. Black Sabbath
4. Led Zepplin
5. Queen

I mean, males over the age of 40 get a pass on listening to such schlocky drivel, but goddamn, I have to change the channel. Those 5 bands are the reason why I can't listen to the 'classic rock radio' format. It's such whiny girlie CRAP. Just my opinion...but the music from all 5 of those bands is, like, salt-peter limp.

Yeah dude, I agree... Great Call....

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 9161384)
1) Rush
2) Yes
3) Porcupine Tree
4) Dream Theater
5) Pink Floyd

Hello, fellow traveler.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9161416)
I really liked it... wish they had released something other than Tatoo as their first song. Stay Frosty grew on me.

Outta Space, Blood and Fire - those are my two favorites from the album.

Tattoo grew on me - Blood & Fire is AWESOME. I dug Bullethead, Beats Working...She's the Woman.

It's just too long; drop a couple of the 'filler' somgs and you'd have the classic 39-42 min DLR-fronted VH album.

Which is good enough for me.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9161423)
Yeah dude, I agree... Great Call....

Except every band you listed is actually great.

see, if you just don't listen to classic rock radio and listen to the ALBUMS by Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, the Who, Skynyrd, et al, you get past the BS songs that the radio format shoves down a person's throat, and you get the whole picture and can truly appreciate their greatness.

On the flip side, as a kid I was exposed to repeated spins of Journey Escape and Captured and Departure, REO's Can't Tune A Piano,Cheap Trick's Dream Police & Budokan, foreinger's 4 (**** Mutt Lange, btw), Styx Kilroy and Grand Illusion, etc.

I've heard ALL that shit. Styx SUCKS. Dennis DeYoung is ****ing ANNOYING. His voice is nails on a chalkboard, personafied. Plus, all the Foreigners, REOs, Journeys, Bostons, etc sonically SOUND the same - cut from the same 70s AOR cookie-cutter cloth. Not only can you really not tell the difference from album to album, even band to band.

Conversely, Pink Floyd's Animals sounds NOTHING like Meddle. At all. Led Zeppelin III and Presence sound like different ****ing BANDS. The Who Sell Out and Who's Next both sound radically different from Who Are You or It's Hard. Sabbath's Never Say Die is a far cry from their first record...and the raw, rocking Queen II is a far cry from the productions of Jazz or News Of the World.

Johnny Vegas 11-29-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161386)
I saw Tool in the summer of 1992 before anybody really knew who they were. They were on the 2nd stage at Lollapalooza.

The headliners? Rage Against the Machine, Fishbone, Primus, Alice in Chains...JFC what a day.

damn. full of face melting epicness. I just seen Primus a couple months ago for the first time. Shit was awesome. I think they played for like 3 hours too. I had to get me tour shirt for that experience.

Reerun_KC 11-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161434)

at what?

forcing people to beat their radios with hammers?

saphojunkie 11-29-2012 11:35 AM

My god there's some terrible taste in here.

Korn?
Foreigner?
yes???

How about you all go into your Itunes and look up your most played bands. See what actually comes up.

SuperChief 11-29-2012 11:39 AM

Alice in Chains
System of a Down
Incubus
Tool
Tenacious D

saphojunkie 11-29-2012 11:41 AM

This is the whitest collection of bands since the 1943 Lollapalooza in Berlin.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9161443)
at what?

Turn the radio to a station other than 101.1 The Fox.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161462)

racist.

Reerun_KC 11-29-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161472)
Turn the radio to a station other than 101.1 The Fox.

Trust me, I havent listened to main stream shit stations in years. I have sirius in my truck and Xm in the car.

We avoid radio all together.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

at what?

Don't listen to the radio. It's pretty simple.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161462)

Are there any black rock bands? :p

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

at what?

great at not sounding like other bands or like themselves all the time.

That is, if you've actually heard the albums and not just the songs on the radio.

SPATCH 11-29-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161449)
My god there's some terrible taste in here.

Korn?
Foreigner?
yes???

How about you all go into your Itunes and look up your most played bands. See what actually comes up.

I have seen some dog shit bands in this thread; but YES, my friend, is not one of them.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161476)

remember Living Colour??

Band Of Gypsys, I think one counts, too.

So, yes - there are 2.

SPATCH 11-29-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161482)
remember Living Colour??

So, yes - there are 2.

Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Earth, Wind, and Fire is my shit, dawg.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9161479)
I have seen some dog shit bands in this thread; but YES, my friend, is not one of them.

Yes was AWESOME, say 1970-1985.

I have that 0u890210 LIVE - The Solos album; Trevor Rabin was actually a badass on guitar, and anything with Steve Howe is ****ing amazing.

Chris Squire and Alan White are one of rock's most pre-eminent rhythm sections EVER.

Anyone who talks shit on them doesn't know what they're talking about.

Korn and Foreigner, on the other hand, are ****ing God-awful, and anyone who listens to them...I feel sorry for. You should like yourself more.

saphojunkie 11-29-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9161479)

But they're TOP FIVE?

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9161487)
Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Earth, Wind, and Fire is my shit, dawg.

true, but they became more of a funk/soul band.

See, if we're gonna go there, I'll bring out Funkadelic, ya know??

Just for Maggot Brain and Mommy, What's a Funkadelic ALONE.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161489)
But they're TOP FIVE?

for some people, sure.

The prog rock crowd, for People who are down with Rush, King Crimson and especially early Genesis, Yes is absolutely a top 5 band.

Yes was everything that was good about prog rock...

Dartgod 11-29-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161434)

see, if you just don't listen to classic rock radio and listen to the ALBUMS by Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, the Who, Skynyrd, et al, you get past the BS songs that the radio format shoves down a person's throat, and you get the whole picture and can truly appreciate their greatness.

On the flip side, as a kid I was exposed to repeated spins of Journey Escape and Captured and Departure, REO's Can't Tune A Piano,Cheap Trick's Dream Police & Budokan, foreinger's 4 (**** Mutt Lange, btw), Styx Kilroy and Grand Illusion, etc.

I've heard ALL that shit. Styx SUCKS. Dennis DeYoung is ****ing ANNOYING. His voice is nails on a chalkboard, personafied. Plus, all the Foreigners, REOs, Journeys, Bostons, etc sonically SOUND the same - cut from the same 70s AOR cookie-cutter cloth. Not only can you really not tell the difference from album to album, even band to band.

Conversely, Pink Floyd's Animals sounds NOTHING like Meddle. At all. Led Zeppelin III and Presence sound like different ****ing BANDS. The Who Sell Out and Who's Next both sound radically different from Who Are You or It's Hard. Sabbath's Never Say Die is a far cry from their first record...and the raw, rocking Queen II is a far cry from the productions of Jazz or News Of the World.

Ahem...

Quote:

Post your top 5 rock bands of all time

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161475)
Don't listen to the radio. It's pretty simple.

yep.

saphojunkie 11-29-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161476)

Ha! For some reason I thought it was just top 5 bands.

Sure, there are black rock bands, though I doubt anyone would put them top 5, because none of them happen to be as good as a lot of others.

TV on the Radio comes to mind.

You COULD argue for Otis Redding.

My top five, to allow for ridicule:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Rolling Stones
3. Pearl Jam
4. Alice in Chains
5. Radiohead

Fat Elvis 11-29-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9161439)
damn. full of face melting epicness. I just seen Primus a couple months ago for the first time. Shit was awesome. I think they played for like 3 hours too. I had to get me tour shirt for that experience.

Note to self: Poop in a box and send it to Johnny Vegas for Christmas; he'll think it is awesome.

saphojunkie 11-29-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161498)
for some people, sure.

The prog rock crowd, for People who are down with Rush, King Crimson and especially early Genesis, Yes is absolutely a top 5 band.

Fair enough. I guess I always thought of Prog rock has a misuse of talent. Not wasted, just misused.

Dayze 11-29-2012 11:59 AM

I could pretty much 'shuffle' my ipod with only Led Zep, VH, and ACDC and be good to go for quite a while.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9161474)
Trust me, I havent listened to main stream shit stations in years. I have sirius in my truck and Xm in the car.

We avoid radio all together.

I hate those low-bitrate mo3 streams.

Satellite radio is the devil.

I hate around 3000 vinyl records, around 40,000 CDs and abot 5TBs of everything you can name : classical, jazz, rock, pop, punk, soul, blues, etc. Everything in analog or FLAC format. Mp3s are for little girls to listen to dance music on their ipods.

Shit-tons of live recordings and studio outtakes, etc. Bootlegs are my shit. I've taken it to such an extreme that anything commercially available is considered pedestrian. I laugh at Satellite radio, because it sounds like dogshit.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161489)
But they're TOP FIVE?

I'm a HUGE Yes fan who didn't put them in my historical top 5, because of their slide into bloat and pretention (which I love anyway).

But I put them in my honorable mention because of their technical ability (Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Bill Bruford, Alan White and Rick Wakeman are/were gifted musicians), their long-term success and their influence.

For good or bad, their virtuoso musicianship combined with vocal harmonies influenced many 70s and 80s bands (Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, etc.)

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161506)
Fair enough. I guess I always thought of Prog rock has a misuse of talent. Not wasted, just misused.

when it's good, it's great.

When it's bad, it's unbearable.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161498)

And to be fair, everything that was bad. Very Spinal Tap-ish in some instances.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9161508)
I could pretty much 'shuffle' my ipod with only Led Zep, VH, and ACDC and be good to go for quite a while.

**** yes. that's good rockin's right there.

I can do Stones, Skynyrd and Neil Young all day everyday.

Rasputin 11-29-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 9161459)
Alice in Chains
System of a Down
Incubus
Tool
Tenacious D

:thumb: Good ones

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161515)

1985-on, especially.

it's cringe-worthy.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161519)
1985-on, especially.

it's cringe-worthy.

Try 1974 -- Tales From Topographic Oceans, especially the stage setup for the tour.

I love that shit. But I absolutely get why people hated it, and rebelled against it.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161482)
remember Living Colour??

So, yes - there are 2.

Living Colour?

:Lin:

htismaqe 11-29-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161503)
Ha! For some reason I thought it was just top 5 bands.

Sure, there are black rock bands, though I doubt anyone would put them top 5, because none of them happen to be as good as a lot of others.

TV on the Radio comes to mind.

You COULD argue for Otis Redding.

My top five, to allow for ridicule:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Rolling Stones
3. Pearl Jam
4. Alice in Chains
5. Radiohead

:D

You forget The Experience. ;)

SuperChief 11-29-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9161518)
:thumb: Good ones

I try. And back to the "black" rock bands, I REALLY dig Sevendust (older stuff at least) and their lead singer is black.. Does that count?

saphojunkie 11-29-2012 12:07 PM

I've been trying to get into newer music, mostly because if I never hear "Hotel California" again for as long as I live, it won't be soon enough.

I've discovered a band called Alt-J (the Mac shortcut for typing the Greek letter Delta).

Just one album so far, and most of the songs aren't like this, but the tool crowd might enjoy hearing the (light) influence:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Iu8_lV275o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 11-29-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161515)

Hawkwind!

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161535)
Hawkwind!

:LOL:

Now I'm gonna have to go put on "Space Ritual Live."

In case of sonic attack, use your wheels. It is what they are for. Small babies may be placed inside the special cocoons.

Fat Elvis 11-29-2012 12:10 PM

In no particular order....

1) The Clash
2) U2
3) Cheap Trick
4) Talking Heads
5) Velvet Underground

I hate Led Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Rolling Stones, that flute band and other crap from that era/genre for the most part.

Flame away.

SPATCH 11-29-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161493)
true, but they became more of a funk/soul band.

See, if we're gonna go there, I'll bring out Funkadelic, ya know??

Just for Maggot Brain and Mommy, What's a Funkadelic ALONE.

Ok.. TV On the Radio, then?

****ing awesome band, btw.

http://c438342.r42.cf2.rackcdn.com/w...radio-2011.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4N31oFeinFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SPATCH 11-29-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9161545)

1) The Clash
2) U2
3) Cheap Trick
4) Talking Heads
5) Velvet Underground

I hate Led Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Rolling Stones, that flute band and other crap from that era/genre for the most part.

Flame away.

I like this list.

gblowfish 11-29-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9161197)
I'm interested in seeing what era most people's favorites come from and if there are more US bands or UK bands (or Scandinavian if you're Reaper16)

Clean sweep for the Brits for me.

1. The Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. Led Zep
4. Pink Floyd
5. The Who

Define band however you want. If you want to throw Elvis on your list, do it.

I would actually agree with this. #6 would be The Kinks.

Frosty 11-29-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9161551)
I would actually agree with this. #6 would be The Kinks.

:thumb:

The Kinks were my second concert and the first one I actually remember (my first was Rush but it's a little, umm..., hazy).

Fat Elvis 11-29-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161534)
I've been trying to get into newer music, mostly because if I never hear "Hotel California" again for as long as I live, it won't be soon enough.

I've discovered a band called Alt-J (the Mac shortcut for typing the Greek letter Delta).

Just one album so far, and most of the songs aren't like this, but the tool crowd might enjoy hearing the (light) influence:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Iu8_lV275o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alt-J has been getting pretty heavy rotation in KC. Here is another video (pretty disturbing).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rVeMiVU77wo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SPATCH 11-29-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161534)

Alt-J is incredible. Definitely one of the top 5 albums of 2012.

Good for you, dude. Good for you. Keep discovering.

Bugeater 11-29-2012 12:21 PM

In no particular order:

1. Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship (This DOES NOT include "Starship")
2. Styx
3. REO Speedwagon
4. Paul McCartney & Wings (This DOES NOT include Paul's non-Wings solo garbage)
5. Anything with Eric Clapton

cosmo20002 11-29-2012 12:22 PM

The correct answer is:

Van Halen
Aerosmith
AC/DC
ZZ Top
Led Zep

htismaqe 11-29-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161540)
:LOL:

Now I'm gonna have to go put on "Space Ritual Live."

In case of sonic attack, use your wheels. It is what they are for. Small babies may be placed inside the special cocoons.

ROFL

How about the Michael Moorcock prose between tracks on "Warrior on the Edge of Time"?

Bump 11-29-2012 12:24 PM

Zeppelin
Stones
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots

Bugeater 11-29-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9161560)
The correct answer is:

Van Halen
Aerosmith
AC/DC
ZZ Top
Led Zep

I suppose that's a good list if you've never turned on a commercial radio station for the past 40 years.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

1) The Clash
2) U2
3) Cheap Trick
4) Talking Heads
5) Velvet Underground

Flame away.

Funniest Jethro Tull reference I've seen in a long time. :thumb:

Bugeater 11-29-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9161564)
Zeppelin
Stones
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots

Shit, didn't even think about the Stones. They should probably be on my list. Soundgarden would be in my Top 10, but not 5.

Fat Elvis 11-29-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9161548)
Ok.. TV On the Radio, then?

****ing awesome band, btw.

http://c438342.r42.cf2.rackcdn.com/w...radio-2011.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4N31oFeinFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j1-xRk6llh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This songs should only be listened to LOUD.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161523)
Try 1974 -- Tales From Topographic Oceans, especially the stage setup for the tour.

I love that shit. But I absolutely get why people hated it, and rebelled against it.

how about Wakeman's solo album, Journey to the Center of the Earth or whatever??

PASS on 4 sides of a synthesiser solo

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161572)
how about Wakeman's solo album, Journey to the Center of the Earth or whatever??

PASS on 4 sides of a synthesiser solo

King Arthur was performed by ice skaters dressed as knights on horseback.

cosmo20002 11-29-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9161301)
:rockon:

Posion
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Skid Row
Anthrax

C'mon...really?

Frosty 11-29-2012 12:33 PM

It's really hard to come up with a top 5 list because it depends on what mood I'm in. Sometimes my list might include 80's alternative like Guadalcanal Diary and REM. Other times it will be classic rock or 80's NWOBHM like Holocaust or Angelwitch. Lately, I've been on kind of a 70's kick and have been picking up stuff that I didn't use to like as much, like Neil Young or CCR.

I have a half full 160g iPod and I usually just have it on random so don't really favor one band over another.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

1) The Clash
2) U2
3) Cheap Trick
4) Talking Heads
5) Velvet Underground

Flame away.

As someone who likes Zep, Rush, Yes and Tull, I also like every group on your list.

Fat Elvis 11-29-2012 12:34 PM

Need lots of bass for this....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ek0SgwWmF9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161531)
:D

You forget The Experience. ;)

to be honest, the more bass I play, the more Noel starts to annoy the shit outta me.

I'd rather have Billy and Buddy.

To me, it goes like this :

Band Of Gypsys>Cry Of Love Band>The Experience.

Flame away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161529)
Living Colour?

:Lin:

agreed; great musicians, a couple of decent songs, then so WAY WAY overrated to the point that they made a career out of it.

Kinda like Phish, only on a way smaller scale.

Chiefnj2 11-29-2012 12:38 PM

In the order that I recall listening to them:

1. Van Halen
2. Ozzy
3. Iron Maiden
4. Metallica

5 is tough, toss-up between NIN and Jane's Addiction.