ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Looking to upgrade my phone (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306664)

007 03-17-2017 07:21 AM

Looking to upgrade my phone

OK, I'm at that stage where I'm considering upgrading my phone. Keep in mind, I prefer to stay one generation behind because of pricing. I currently have a LG G Flex 2 that has served me well the past year but it also needed to be sent in twice for battery issues. My previous phone was a LG G2 that I loved.

That said, I'm only seeing two phones inside my price range that would be an upgrade and not break the bank for me. I'm curious on everyones take of each phone.

ZTE Axon 7 and LG G5. specs wise there is not a lot of difference between the two. The G5 has the notably better camera and a removable battery. The Axon has great sound over speakers, a very sharp screen, and headphones and includes a 2 year premium warranty that covers practically anything that happens to it.

Here is a link to Phone Arena that compares the two

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...nes/9819,10068

The ZTE Axon 7 is currently $389 and I can get the G5 for around $370.

The primary things I want from my phone is sharp screen, camera quality, battery life, and sound quality.

EDIT - The Axon will get Nougat 7.1.1 while the G5, I believe, is only getting 7.0

Fish 03-17-2017 08:06 AM

Between those 2, the Axon looks much better.

007 03-17-2017 10:10 AM

Please let me know if there is any phone I may be overlooking. These two are just what my search settled on.

BigBeauford 03-17-2017 12:00 PM

Samsungs' A7, Motorola G4/5/Play.

007 03-17-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 12787223)
Samsungs' A7, Motorola G4/5/Play.

While these are great prices, they are not in the same class as the two I'm currently looking at. I did consider the Moto G5 Plus until I realized my G Flex 2 was still the better device. Don't want to go backwards.

L.A. Chieffan 03-18-2017 12:12 PM

LG G6 comes out in like 2 weeks. More expensive phone but better and theres promos if you get for example Verizon is giving away free 46 inch LG TV with it thats like $400

BWillie 03-18-2017 02:01 PM

Wait and get the S8. It's going to be the best phone ever made.

007 03-18-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 12788347)
LG G6 comes out in like 2 weeks. More expensive phone but better and theres promos if you get for example Verizon is giving away free 46 inch LG TV with it thats like $400

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12788426)
Wait and get the S8. It's going to be the best phone ever made.

As I stated in my original post...

"I prefer to stay one generation behind because of pricing."

There isn't a chance in hell I would pay that much for a phone. Not even with the free tv. Also, I don't want to be tied to a carrier. I only purchase unlocked phones.

jd1020 03-18-2017 02:55 PM

Have you considered buying used from a site like swappa.com?

L.A. Chieffan 03-18-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 12788442)

There isn't a chance in hell I would pay that much for a phone. Not even with the free tv. Also, I don't want to be tied to a carrier. I only purchase unlocked phones.

Every phone Verizon sells is factory unlocked and there's no more contracts you just finance it at 0%, but that's cool man..

007 03-18-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 12788567)
Every phone Verizon sells is factory unlocked and there's no more contracts you just finance it at 0%, but that's cool man..

I'm on cricket.

EDIT

I did a chat with verizon just to confirm what you said and they stated you do have to be on a verizon wireless phone plan when you purchase any of their phones.

007 03-18-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12788458)
Have you considered buying used from a site like swappa.com?

Nah, when it comes to phones I don't want non manufacturer warrantied electronics.

jd1020 03-18-2017 08:36 PM

Ultimately its up to what you value more.

I have no experience with either phone.

Just from looking at reviews the G5 wins with a better camera, more polished UI, and having a smaller but replaceable battery.

The Axon 7 wins with a slightly larger screen in damn near the same size phone, better audio quality, more internal storage, and a larger non-replaceable battery.

Technically the G5 will have a "sharper" picture since they are the same resolution and the G5 is smaller giving it more DPI, but good luck finding the difference between those screens and the same panel in 1080p on a 5.5" screen.

Personally I don't give a shit about "replaceable" batteries any more. Any battery is replaceable if you have the tools, balls, and internet.

007 03-18-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12788782)
Ultimately its up to what you value more.

I have no experience with either phone.

Just from looking at reviews the G5 wins with a better camera, more polished UI, and having a smaller but replaceable battery.

The Axon 7 wins with a slightly larger screen in damn near the same size phone, better audio quality, more internal storage, and a larger non-replaceable battery.

Technically the G5 will have a "sharper" picture since they are the same resolution and the G5 is smaller giving it more DPI, but good luck finding the difference between those screens and the same panel in 1080p on a 5.5" screen.

Personally I don't give a shit about "replaceable" batteries any more. Any battery is replaceable if you have the tools, balls, and internet.

I keep going back and forth between the two phones really. I think part of my problem is that I'm not sure if I completely trust the up and comer over the established LG.

listopencil 03-19-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 12788442)

I have an LG Stylo. Bought it a couple of years ago. It was something like $175 out the door at a Wal Mart. I think it's great for a cheap phone. The Stylo 3 should be coming out within the next 30-90 days and I'm thinking about getting it even though my Stylo 1 is still working just fine.