ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music SNL Music Acts (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270127)

Baby Lee 02-17-2013 11:14 AM

SNL Music Acts

They have really amassed an impressive portfolio of up and comers over the past couple years.

Foster the People
Sleigh Bells
Fun
Frank Ocean
Mumford and Sons

And that's not counting great performances by established artists.

Never heard of Alabama Shakes before and it was like a religious experience. Mix up Tracy Chapman, Janis Joplin The Band and Prince. I sat and watched it 4 times. Went online and bought the album.

Pitt Gorilla 02-17-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9410303)
They have really amassed an impressive portfolio of up and comers over the past couple years.

Foster the People
Sleigh Bells
Fun
Frank Ocean
Mumford and Sons

And that's not counting great performances by established artists.

Never heard of Alabama Shakes before and it was like a religious experience. Mix up Tracy Chapman, Janis Joplin The Band and Prince. I sat and watched it 4 times. Went online and bought the album.

They (Alabama Shakes) were on another show (Jimmy Fallon, IIRC) a year or so ago. I really liked them then as well.

Baby Lee 02-17-2013 11:36 AM

Not music acts, but man that was an epic weekend update. The Rubio, Olya, and Steven A. bits all killed.

Baby Lee 02-17-2013 11:57 AM

Internet Validation

"And that sound you hear on Twitter is Alabama Shakes becoming everyone's new favorite band."

mikeyis4dcats. 02-17-2013 12:22 PM

too bad the sound mix usually sucks on SNL

Reaper16 02-17-2013 12:32 PM

I'm very proud of the Alabama Shakes. SUCH a good live band (I hated the production on their debut album; they should have just put out a live album). They were just a band that regularly played my neighborhood bar in Tuscaloosa just as recently as October of 2010. I've seen them play live probably in excess of 20 times.

They blew up because of NPR's chief music critic, Ann Powers, who lives in Tuscaloosa (her husband is a music/American studies professor at UA), as well as landing a song on a Zales diamond commercial. Obviously, I don't get to see them play nearly as much since they're touring the whole damn earth at this point.

Demonpenz 02-17-2013 12:37 PM

Remember Will Ferril playing cowbell with QoTsa?haha

Baby Lee 02-17-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9410426)
too bad the sound mix usually sucks on SNL

I don''t always have a reference point, but I have been sold on more new bands through anything other than NPR and AVClub lists through SNL performances.

Baby Lee 02-17-2013 12:50 PM

What are thoughts on the Regine bit?

Reviews are DECIDEDLY mixed on the the innertubes, but I laughed my ass off.

NewChief 02-17-2013 01:35 PM

If you all paid attention to the "what are you listening to" thread, you'd have known about the Alabama Shakes like 2 years ago.

Direckshun 02-17-2013 02:24 PM

The performance of Bon Iver was spellbinding, I thought.

Though it was panned, even by SNL themselves, for being dull.

Easy 6 02-17-2013 04:18 PM

They've opened my eyes to so many acts i've come to really love over the years... Coldplay, Muse, Alabama Shakes, Frank Ocean just to name a few.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-17-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9410562)
If you all paid attention to the "what are you listening to" thread, you'd have known about the Alabama Shakes like 2 years ago.

yup. I don't get much time to listen to music anymore, but I like listening to turntable.fm. Really opens you up to all kinds of new acts.

Omaha 02-17-2013 05:37 PM

They were great last night. I have worn myself out on "Hold On," but that song was AMAZING live.

Baby Lee 02-17-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9410989)
They were great last night. I have worn myself out on "Hold On," but that song was AMAZING live.

No 'too fat' remarks? ;)