ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Tell me about Hulu and Cord cutting. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316868)

lewdog 08-19-2018 07:53 AM

Tell me about Hulu and Cord cutting.

Wife and I are pretty much done with Direct TV. We don't watch much TV anymore but still want to have the ability to when we have time, just not at DTV's price tag.

1. What I am seeing is $40/month gets you a decent amount of channels. I see add-ons can make it more but that’s the basic cost for TV channels? Does this price ever go up?
2. I will have access to all the live sports I need with this package? For $40 their sports channel package looks pretty impressive to me. Actually has channels I don’t get now.
3. How quickly do you blow through internet data (yes our internet provider options both track data use).
4. How fast of internet speeds do I really need?
5. We have 4 TVs. One has built in Roku, one has a Fire Stick. What would you recommend doing for the other 2 TVs…fire stick, roku, chromecast?

What else should I know about this? Would you recommend a different setup from Hulu all together?

lewdog 08-19-2018 08:15 AM

I see there’s a $7.99 option. What’s the difference between that and the $40 option? That’s a wide price gap.

MrGiggity 08-19-2018 08:17 AM

I am also curious on this topic. I have Direct TV and have inquired about Direct TV Now. I am currently paying 80 dollars a month (Even with the discount). I spoke with an Agent yesterday and Direct TV now seems to be the direction I'm leaning. My contract is up in September and with Direct TV Now I would be paying 55 a month for more channels. No additional fees to my understanding. No dish/no receiver and better yet, no contract.

MrGiggity 08-19-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13681933)
I see there’s a $7.99 option. What’s the difference between that and the $40 option? That’s a wide price gap.

The 7.99 is just HULU basic. You can stream movies and TV shows (Similar to Netflix) but you have commercials. You can pay 11.99 for commercial free. The $40 option is to stream live TV with multiple channels.

lewdog 08-19-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 13681937)
The 7.99 is just HULU basic. You can stream movies and TV shows (Similar to Netflix) but you have commercials. You can pay 11.99 for commercial free. The $40 option is to stream live TV with multiple channels.

Good info. Only live tv we watch is sports, otherwise we DVR and watch shows later. I can find Chiefs streams though so maybe we don’t need live tv function as I doubt I’ll watch much college B.B. this year. Does the 11.99 package allow 2 TVs playing at once?

MrGiggity 08-19-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13681944)
Good info. Only live tv we watch is sports, otherwise we DVR and watch shows later. I can find Chiefs streams though so maybe we don’t need live tv function as I doubt I’ll watch much college B.B. this year. Does the 11.99 package allow 2 TVs playing at once?

That I'm not 100% certain on. I want to say no, I pay for it and also let my sister use it from a different State and I believe it would kick one of us off if the other tried to sign on while we were watching it. That was a couple years ago though so it may be different, also if you are in the same house it may be different as well.

notorious 08-19-2018 08:43 AM

Just set a shutdown date for DishNetwork. We are going the Hulu/YoutubeTV route with HBO/Netflix/Prime/Terrarium supplementing our movie fix.

Leaning YouTubetv right now. Is there any reason Hulu is better?

dj56dt58 08-19-2018 08:45 AM

I've done this before, only reason I went back was for sports..Im always concerned finding a reliable option for Chiefs games and how delayed it will be...seems they have gotten better though?

PmCakes 08-19-2018 08:53 AM

I'm all about the YoutubeTV and Netflix combination. Also, you can share accounts with friends/family. I get HBO for free from my brother in law and stream that on Netflix on my roku express. Best investment ever.

dirk digler 08-19-2018 09:07 AM

Here is a good site to compare your options. https://www.suppose.tv

When I recently moved I dropped DTV and was considering going YoutubeTV but I was already paying $75/month for Internet from Charter so they offered me a monthly price of $130 with all the premium channels and price locked for 3 years. So I took that deal.

When you start adding all these extra services like Hulu, youtubetv, Netflix, hbo, prime, sling you are pretty much getting close to paying what you paid to your TV provider. That is something to consider.

Deberg_1990 08-19-2018 09:10 AM

hehe, 40-45 month. Streaming is basically turning into cable TV from 15 years ago.

DaFace 08-19-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13681955)
Leaning YouTubetv right now. Is there any reason Hulu is better?

It's mostly just a matter of the channels you want and which interface you prefer. Hulu does have a minor advantage in on-demand content IMO, but it's not a huge one.

dirk digler 08-19-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13682003)
hehe, 40-45 month. Streaming is basically turning into cable TV from 15 years ago.

pretty much. I don't think people realize that when they are cutting the cord and it won't be long before Internet providers are going to start raising rates on Internet only users if they offer TV services as well. That is the big downside of all this media consolidation.

DaFace 08-19-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13681997)
Here is a good site to compare your options. https://www.suppose.tv

That's a cool tool - thanks.

Quote:

When I recently moved I dropped DTV and was considering going YoutubeTV but I was already paying $75/month for Internet from Charter so they offered me a monthly price of $130 with all the premium channels and price locked for 3 years. So I took that deal.

When you start adding all these extra services like Hulu, youtubetv, Netflix, hbo, prime, sling you are pretty much getting close to paying what you paid to your TV provider. That is something to consider.
It's definitely true if you're comparing back to what I feel cable SHOULD cost. Before I cut the cord, though, I was paying about $90/month for DirecTV, and I was already paying for Netflix. Now I have Hulu (with live TV) and, while I'm still paying for Netflix, it shouldn't really count.

Not to mention that, aside from sports, I personally prefer on-demand streaming far more than watching things live and having to deal with a DVR anyway.

DaFace 08-19-2018 09:27 AM

As for answers to Lew's questions...

1. Sure, it can. I don't think they've bumped it since launching live TV, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.
2. I THINK so, but I just signed up a couple months ago. My brother in Wichita said that he couldn't get the Chiefs game Thursday, but I know preseason licenses are weird. Guess we'll see soon.
3. My wife and I have done streaming for a couple years now, and we use around 500 GB per month.
4. I wouldn't try it with less than 5 Mb per stream (so more than that if you plan on streaming on multiple TVs at once). Ideally more like 10 Mb per stream.
5. I use Rokus everywhere, but it's really just personal preference.