ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith: A Tale in Accuracy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269101)

Molitoth 01-20-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9334878)
Yeah, some morons thinks he gets all his yards off of YAC.

Even IF Geno got the majority of his stats via YAC (which is a really inaccurate arguement),... isn't the QB's job to get the ball to his playmakers and avoid turning the ball over? Seems to me he is highly accurate at getting the ball to his receivers.... in turn his receivers JOB is to catch the ball and get YAC.

Did Jerry Rice not inflate Steve Young's numbers? Lots of quick slants there went for tons of YAC.

ArrowheadMagic 01-20-2013 10:27 AM

YAC is an important stat in the NFL, especially in the Reid offense. You cant have all 7 step drops and 40 yards passes. Hitting a guy stride creates a lot of the YAC.

Mr. Laz 01-20-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9334914)
Even IF Geno got the majority of his stats via YAC (which is a really inaccurate arguement),... isn't the QB's job to get the ball to his playmakers and avoid turning the ball over? Seems to me he is highly accurate at getting the ball to his receivers.... in turn his receivers JOB is to catch the ball and get YAC.

Did Jerry Rice not inflate Steve Young's numbers? Lots of quick slants there went for tons of YAC.

yes, but it also leaves the heavy lifting to the receiver and scheme leaving people to wonder how good the QB really is. Eventually it will lead to defenses to crowd the LOS scrimmage and potentially hurt the running game.

Scheme can help, elusive WR's can help but a QB generally has to stretch the defense vertically to have a consistent offense.

Molitoth 01-20-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9334956)
yes, but it also leaves the heavy lifting to the receiver and scheme leaving people to wonder how good the QB really is. Eventually it will lead to defenses to crowd the LOS scrimmage and potentially hurt the running game.

Scheme can help, elusive WR's can help but a QB generally has to stretch the defense vertically to have a consistent offense.

If you pay attention to WV offense, they dink and dunk the ball until this happens, aNd then you start seeing Geno throw the deep balls.

Tom Brady and the patriots do the same shit.

Crowding the Los against geno gets teams beat.

RINGLEADER 01-20-2013 11:12 AM

It's not rocket science. Defenses choked up on the Chiefs withe Cassel and Quinn behind center because they couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy beyond 5 yards (and even then it was a question mark). If you don't have to defend downfield it makes it a lot easier to bottle up the rushing game and defend the short routes. It makes Charles' rushing numbers that much more impressive.

You bring Geno (or any competent QB) into this offense and you're going to see success the second you loosen up defenses and make them respect the throws that these numbers show Geno can make.

Just my $.02.

ArrowheadMagic 01-20-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9335004)
It's not rocket science. Defenses choked up on the Chiefs withe Cassel and Quinn behind center because they couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy beyond 5 yards (and even then it was a question mark). If you don't have to defend downfield it makes it a lot easier to bottle up the rushing game and defend the short routes. It makes Charles' rushing numbers that much more impressive.

You bring Geno (or any competent QB) into this offense and you're going to see success the second you loosen up defenses and make them respect the throws that these numbers show Geno can make.

Just my $.02.

Charles in this new offense could be even more ridiculous. Or grossly under used. But the prospects are exciting.

Chiefshrink 01-20-2013 11:48 AM

Laz you are 'THE MAN' !!! Excellent find !!:clap:

milkman 01-20-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9335101)
Laz you are 'THE MAN' !!! Excellent find !!:clap:

You know that this is a repost of a post in the original Geno Smith thread.

Bump 01-20-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9334878)
Yeah, some morons thinks he gets all his yards off of YAC.

I know right, don't you wanna just bitch slap those idiots.

KCrockaholic 01-20-2013 11:52 AM

Damn, CP is getting behind these days. Too many poop threads clouding our minds I guess.

hometeam 01-20-2013 11:58 AM

Oldy but goody~

I guess its good it got its own thread becuase it seems a bunch of people hadn't seen it yet.

GENO TRAIN KEEP ON A-ROLLIN

Pasta Little Brioni 01-20-2013 12:15 PM

This absolutely deserves it's own thread.

hometeam 01-20-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9335135)
This absolutely deserves it's own thread.

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-con...geno-smith.jpg

Sully 01-20-2013 12:21 PM

I'm in the Geno camp for now. I have a couple of problems with conclusions drawn in the article, but it's well done. I think he's missing on a point, though.
NFL accuracy isn't just about completing the pass, but also about where he puts the ball on the receiver. I'd like to see a breakdown of that, and see it compared with other QBs. The "dreaded" (yeah, I know... Doesn't make sense as an argument against) YAC bodes well for this, though.

Sorter 01-20-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9335148)
I'm in the Geno camp for now. I have a couple of problems with conclusions drawn in the article, but it's well done. I think he's missing on a point, though.
NFL accuracy isn't just about completing the pass, but also about where he puts the ball on the receiver. I'd like to see a breakdown of that, and see it compared with other QBs. The "dreaded" (yeah, I know... Doesn't make sense as an argument against) YAC bodes well for this, though.

This would be an awesome but time-consuming idea. I like it.