ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Current Standings for Best Southern BBQ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292521)

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 09:55 AM

Current Standings for Best Southern BBQ

SUCK IT TEXAS

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/...q/leaderboard/

Quote:

Voting is open until Monday, May 25th, 2015 at 11:59am EDT. Feel free to come back every day to cast another vote, and be sure to tell your friends to do the same!

Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que - Kansas City, Kan.
Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que - Llano, Texas
Luling City Market - Luling, Texas
Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse - Dallas
Skylight Inn BBQ - Ayden, N.C.
Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue - Kansas City, Mo.
Scott's Bar-B-Que - Hemingway, S.C.
Dreamland Bar-B-Que - Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Kreuz Market - Lockhart, Texas
Black's Barbecue - Lockhart, Texas
Arthur Bryant's Barbeque - Kansas City, Mo.
Saw's BBQ - Birmingham, Ala.
Gates and Sons Bar-B-Q - Kansas City, Mo.
Smitty's Market - Lockhart, Texas
Franklin Barbecue - Austin
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q - Decatur, Ala.
Archibald & Woodrow's BBQ - Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Cozy Corner Barbecue - Memphis
Wilber's Barbecue - Goldsboro, N.C.
Miss Myra's Pit Bar-B-Q - Vestavia Hills, Ala.

Hootie 05-15-2015 10:31 AM

I lived by Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse on Lover's Lane in Dallas and that place is just not that good at all. Wow. Joe's is WAY better and it's not even in the same ballpark.

BWillie 05-15-2015 11:01 AM

Don't really know how Kansas City is the South, but whatevs

In58men 05-15-2015 11:04 AM

I can see 74 pages of non stop bitching

ChiefsCountry 05-15-2015 11:11 AM

Crazy only one Memphis joint on there. The ones I have had are pretty good, not Kansas City good, but still really good.

morphius 05-15-2015 11:11 AM

BWillie - Joe's actually had the same question early on as well
Quote:

Earlier this week, USA TODAY nominated 20 barbecue establishments for its Best BBQ of the South Readers' Poll. Even though we don't think of ourselves as being in the South.
I think they did find some info on why, and it has to do with the culinary history of the area or some such oddness. It isn't like we eat collard greens and grits here regularly.

Donger 05-15-2015 11:17 AM

I thought that Southern BBQ was actually a style or method, not geography.

morphius 05-15-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 11501180)
I thought that Southern BBQ was actually a style or method, not geography.

I put this in the, "oh yeah, it is USA Today...", category.

Mojo Jojo 05-15-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 11501171)
BWillie - Joe's actually had the same question early on as well

I think they did find some info on why, and it has to do with the culinary history of the area or some such oddness. It isn't like we eat collard greens and grits here regularly.

You are correct. A lot of Kansas City food has southern roots.

POND_OF_RED 05-15-2015 12:56 PM

Arthur Bryant's is simply living on their name and history. That place has went to complete shit. It's almost as bad as Texas BBQ at this point.

BWillie 05-15-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 11501314)
Arthur Bryant's is simply living on their name and history. That place has went to complete shit. It's almost as bad as Texas BBQ at this point.

Some Texas BBQ is really good, some is not. Just depends on the quality of the meat and how it's prepared. I'm not a huge sauce guy, so that is probably why I like Texas BBQ but most KC BBQ is not drowned in sauce unless you go to gates or something.

Shag 05-15-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11501333)
Some Texas BBQ is really good, some is not. Just depends on the quality of the meat and how it's prepared. I'm not a huge sauce guy, so that is probably why I like Texas BBQ but most KC BBQ is not drowned in sauce unless you go to gates or something.

Franklin in Austin is absolutely amazing. Right up there with Joe's for me...

PunkinDrublic 05-15-2015 01:28 PM

I ate at Blacks in Lockhart a couple months ago. It was pretty damn good. Franklins I've heard is overrated or at least not worth the long ass lines.

Eleazar 05-15-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 11501314)

I always felt like Bryant's was overrated too.

POND_OF_RED 05-15-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11501333)

Honestly, I've only eaten at Sonny Bryans in Dallas. It's where everyone in Dallas told me to go so I figured it would be pretty good. Awful. Overpriced and dry. I'll never try Texas BBQ again- it was that disappointing. I'm definitely spoiled with KC Joes. It's hard for me to justify trying BBQ on vacations when I live in the BBQ capital. I was happy to find a really good place in Montana when I was living there for the summers. I've also had Cozy Corner in Memphis which was pretty good. Not nearly as good as KC BBQ but much better than the stuff they make in Dallas.