ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   GBS Has anyone on here ever walked to the top of the KS State Capitol? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=353112)

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 06:21 PM

Has anyone on here ever walked to the top of the KS State Capitol?

1 Attachment(s)
This looks like a really good and scary exercise

loochy 04-18-2024 06:42 PM

It's not as good as the Missouri capitol

Rain Man 04-18-2024 06:45 PM

It's not as good as the Colorado capitol.

Mr. Kotter 04-18-2024 06:56 PM

Why would I?

EDIT:
FWIW, the SD State Capitol has murals and stuff celebrating the 'enlightenment' and 'civilization' of the Sioux during White Man's Burden.

"Cool," I'm told...so says Kristi. ;)

Rain Man 04-18-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 17486096)
Why would I?

Is it as good as your state's capitol?

Mr. Kotter 04-18-2024 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17486100)

See my edit...:hmmm:

Mr. Wizard 04-18-2024 07:06 PM

Yes, no way that stairway would pass an OSHA inspection. Don’t know how they keep it open. It could be trussed up for 30-40 thousand. Amazes me every time I see it. It wobbles and rocks.

Frazod 04-18-2024 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17486086)

I’ve been to the highest level of this one. It’s called the Whispering Gallery IIRC. That was when I was a kid. I wonder if it’s still open/accessible?

Delaney37 04-18-2024 07:23 PM

Yup, several times when I was working Summers there and at the old Docking building.

ghak99 04-18-2024 07:27 PM

Better leave your girlfriend at the bottom.

PHOG 04-18-2024 07:30 PM

Yup, way back in the olden days.

Boise_Chief 04-18-2024 07:39 PM

No, but I did get to put the flags up on top of the Old Faithful lodge.

scho63 04-18-2024 07:45 PM

No but I did walk to the bar at Pasta Brioni.

Bearcat 04-18-2024 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17486100)

https://media.kjzz.org/s3fs-public/s...l-20170316.png

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard (Post 17486105)
Yes, no way that stairway would pass an OSHA inspection. Don’t know how they keep it open. It could be trussed up for 30-40 thousand. Amazes me every time I see it. It wobbles and rocks.

I was wondering that. Doesn't look safe at all

BWillie 04-18-2024 08:17 PM

No but I've stood outside of there with signs that says God Hates bundle of stickss. I don't know why everyone was so mad at me

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 08:32 PM

Yeah, the crazy thing is that they left up the graffiti of folks who left their mark from bygone days...you think those stairs are crazy......

The Kansas Capitol is really one of, if not the nicest, state capitols in the nation. The renovation was expensive, but very nice.

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486166)
Yeah, the crazy thing is that they left up the graffiti of folks who left their mark from bygone days...you think those stairs are crazy......

The Kansas Capitol is really one of, if not the nicest, state capitols in the nation. The renovation was expensive, but very nice.

If you walked that thing we can't call you fat Elvis I'm sorry

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 08:43 PM

A really cool feature about the Kansas Capitol that not a lot of folks know about is that on each floor there are four balconies. Each of the balconies faces a cardinal direction. When you look down from any of the balconies, you will see the letter of the cardinal direction you are facing (N, S, E, or W) but you won't see the letters of the other directions. For example, if you are standing on one of the balconies on the south side of the capitol building and you look down into the rotunda, you will see the letter "N" as you will be facing North.....

Rain Man 04-18-2024 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486166)

So you're saying it's better than the Colorado capitol? I'll have to check it out.

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17486178)
So you're saying it's better than the Colorado capitol? I'll have to check it out.

The Colorado Capitol had a really nice renovation, but I still think the Kansas Capitol looks better...could be personal preference, though.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-18-2024 08:57 PM

....and peed on?

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 08:59 PM

https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/sim...5c7adb77a1.jpg

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17486178)

Here is a pic of the SE corner of the KS Senate Chambers to give you an idea of the level of detail in there:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._panoramio.jpg

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17486089)
It's not as good as the Colorado capitol.

Random story about your capitol building

I was there on a family vacation in 5th grade. Some old guy kept shaking my hand and talking about basketball. No idea who he was signed something of mine and I still to this day have no idea who the **** he is

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 09:14 PM

https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/sim...f9ea5fa65e.jpg

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486201)

Whoa that's amazing. How far would you estimate the top of those stairs are from the floor? Seems like a hell of a workout

Fat Elvis 04-18-2024 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17486203)
Whoa that's amazing. How far would you estimate the top of those stairs are from the floor? Seems like a hell of a workout

To get to the top of the Capitol, you are actually going above that. If you are on the stairs pictured in the OP, what you are seeing in the pic is below you.

Rain Man 04-18-2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17486200)
Random story about your capitol building

I was there on a family vacation in 5th grade. Some old guy kept shaking my hand and talking about basketball. No idea who he was signed something of mine and I still to this day have no idea who the **** he is

Is there a clue hidden in his signature? Like maybe his name?

Fishpicker 04-18-2024 09:26 PM

yes. I went to the top with my 8th grade class. that was no fun with dozens of 13 year old boys playing grab-ass the entire time.

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486201)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17486208)
Is there a clue hidden in his signature? Like maybe his name?

Couldn't read it

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486205)
To get to the top of the Capitol, you are actually going above that. If you are on the stairs pictured in the OP, what you are seeing in the pic is below you.

Holy shit

WilliamTheIrish 04-18-2024 10:01 PM

Bill Graves, governor at the time had that rotunda fortified and the native Kansa Indian statue mounted on top as his legacy.

I remember the day they put it up and it had to come back down a few hours later because some bolts didn’t line up correctly. I’m not a big fan of the statue. It just doesnt look right. Love the name though. Ad Astra.

That capital is a beautiful building and mural of John Brown (insane, murderous MF’er’er that he was) is stunning. Always thought it was a great place to field trip.

Brody Wa 04-18-2024 11:09 PM

I remember going up there when I was in 6th grade but I don’t remember being scared.

Demonpenz 04-18-2024 11:11 PM

The George Brett statue icon is hilarious

Chiefs4TheWin 04-19-2024 07:19 AM

Quote:

I don't know how it is now, but in the early 90s the top of the Washington monument was loose plywood that lifted when you walked towards the little slot you can look out of.

That's how I learned I'm scared of heights!

Zebedee DuBois 04-19-2024 07:23 AM

About two years ago, I walked through the original North Carolina capitol building in Raleigh. They do not conduct their business there any more - It was tiny and cramped compared to the KS building ( which is not huge)

Lzen 04-19-2024 08:44 AM

I have been in there but never gone up to the top. I thought they stopped allowing people to do that years ago.

Lzen 04-19-2024 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486188)

Look at this pic, Mizzurah!! :D

loochy 04-19-2024 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 17486188)

CAPTION THIS PICTURE

"Look at all of this wide open land available for building a new Chiefs stadium!"

Titty Meat 04-19-2024 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17486402)
CAPTION THIS PICTURE

"Look at all of this wide open land available for building a new Chiefs stadium!"

Loochys asshole is this wide

RealSNR 04-19-2024 09:21 AM

Bet you all wish your state capitol was hot like mine!

https://npr.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/...Capitol_20.jpg

Titty Meat 04-19-2024 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 17486445)

Looks like a jail

mikeyis4dcats. 04-19-2024 12:48 PM

Quote:

This was actually rebuilt just a few years ago and is perfectly safe.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-19-2024 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17486400)
I have been in there but never gone up to the top. I thought they stopped allowing people to do that years ago.

you can but they only guide a tour a few times a month

DJ's left nut 04-19-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17486086)

I worked at the Capitol for a semester in college. I was allowed to go 'above' it. There's a sort of access hatch that gets you above the ceiling but below the actual dome and it's cool as hell in there (I signed a rafter...).

Then you can go out on a sort of small observation deck that's up at the actual peak and get a great view...well, insofar as anything in Jeff City is a 'great view'.

It was a pretty cool experience. Sadly, i don't recall who we spoke with to get in. It was just me and a couple other aids. It wasn't some tour - you just kinda talk to the guy with the keys and he lets you in. But I'll be damned if I actually remember who that was. Heck, it was 20 years ago now.

Damn I'm old.

EDIT:

Here ya go!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cej0LIWKq_c?si=nT8p4D4kUtvCSnwv" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It' exactly like that. It's almost like a secret hatch and then these little catwalks you wander about.

Titty Meat 04-19-2024 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17486997)
I worked at the Capitol for a semester in college. I was allowed to go 'above' it. There's a sort of access hatch that gets you above the ceiling but below the actual dome and it's cool as hell in there (I signed a rafter...).

Then you can go out on a sort of small observation deck that's up at the actual peak and get a great view...well, insofar as anything in Jeff City is a 'great view'.

It was a pretty cool experience. Sadly, i don't recall who we spoke with to get in. It was just me and a couple other aids. It wasn't some tour - you just kinda talk to the guy with the keys and he lets you in. But I'll be damned if I actually remember who that was. Heck, it was 20 years ago now.

Damn I'm old.

EDIT:

Here ya go!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cej0LIWKq_c?si=nT8p4D4kUtvCSnwv" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It' exactly like that. It's almost like a secret hatch and then these little catwalks you wander about.

Damn the guy in the video sounds like he isn't going to make it lol

HemiEd 04-20-2024 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 17486121)
Yup, way back in the olden days.

Same here. My Dad took me and I met Gov Docking and I got to sit at his desk for a minute also.

kccrow 04-20-2024 06:39 AM

I guess, at least, mine doesn't suck....

https://michpics.files.wordpress.com...pitol-dome.jpg

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...77/gallery.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1474/2...8ddf2286_b.jpg

And you can get to the very top...

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...pjpg&auto=webp

Raiderhater 04-20-2024 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17486449)
Looks like a jail

With all of the politicians in there, it probably should be.

kc rush 04-20-2024 07:56 AM

Climbed those stairs about 10 years ago and didn't like it. My fear of heights has only gotten worse since then. I do like the building though.

Been to the MO, KS, AR, IL, WI, IA, ND, SD, NE, WY and NM capitol buildings. Tried to go to TN and OK, but each was closed when I got there. Will see MT and CO this summer.

The Iowa building is really nice and the law library in there is an amazing room.

The New Mexico building isn't too exciting, but it has a ton of art throughout it which was neat to look at.

kc rush 04-20-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 17486445)

Lawrence Welk in the HOF area can't be beat.

PHOG 04-20-2024 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17487431)
Same here. My Dad took me and I met Gov Docking and I got to sit at his desk for a minute also.

We went as a class field trip when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade. The stairs held up fine. ;)

Rausch 04-20-2024 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17486997)

Damn I'm old.

EDIT:

Here ya go!

Back in high school I had a friend that did the work release thing where kids that knew they weren't going to college got a head start on their career and only had to go to school a 1/2 day. She ended up as an aid or page or whatever at the capitol. She got to know and be friends with a bunch of political hot shots of the day.
One day she calls me up and she's like "hey, I want you to meet this guy. Can you get out of school? Come up to the capitol and meet me outside." So I sneak out a window in study hall and meet here there. Ends up being me, her, and NAME who was the speaker at the time drinking expensive whiskey and whatnot from his back bar in an office. At the time I thought the guy was the coolest politician there was. Funny guy, nice as could be, and he was down to just let a couple kids have a few.
Yeah.
As a 47 year old man looking back I view that situation a bit differently. One of the most powerful politicians in the state handing out booze to two high school kids during school hours probably wouldn't go over so well these days. I guess I'm lucky I didn't end up knowing who Epstein was 20 years early...