ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes And Other Starters To Sit Out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351658)

Kman34 01-03-2024 02:33 PM

Mahomes And Other Starters To Sit Out

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...ady-locked-in/

Patrick out Sunday.. Not sure about Kelce and 1000 yds.. According to Andy’s Presser..

BWillie 01-03-2024 02:35 PM

Does Kelce have a 1000 yard bonus? If not ****ing awful to let him play, at all.

FloridaMan88 01-03-2024 02:35 PM

And a new QB2 for Sunday…

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid says Chris Oladokun will backup Blaine Gabbert vs Chargers.</p>&mdash; Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattderrick/status/1742604830202315017?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 3, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rausch 01-03-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17317029)
Does Kelce have a 1000 yard bonus? If not ****ing awful to let him play, at all.

This.

If he wanted that 1k he could have gotten open before the final week of the season...

Pinchshot 01-03-2024 02:37 PM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3WCNY2RhcmnwGbKbCi" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/AppleTV-apple-tv-app-3WCNY2RhcmnwGbKbCi">via GIPHY</a></p>

Bowser 01-03-2024 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17317036)
This.

If he wanted that 1k he could have gotten open before the final week of the season...

IIRC, Kelce fumble ****ed a 20 yard TD pass that hit him in the hands a couple of weeks ago....

KC_Lee 01-03-2024 02:43 PM

Heard this on the radio yesterday; the Chiefs can essentially create their own bye for the starters while every potential first round opponent has something to play for and cannot rest their starters. And we all know Andy's record after a bye.

DaFace 01-03-2024 02:46 PM

Quote:

I don't think there are any bonuses tied to it, but it's definitely a stat that people will talk about in his HOF induction year. I know there's a little risk involved, but I wouldn't mind putting him out there for a drive and force-feeding him the ball until he gets 16 yards. Players care about that stuff, and letting him get it is part of how Andy gains so much respect.

Rain Man 01-03-2024 02:48 PM

Playoff Patrick will burst forth from the Fortress of Solitude next week.

Rain Man 01-03-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17317077)
I don't think there are any bonuses tied to it, but it's definitely a stat that people will talk about in his HOF induction year. I know there's a little risk involved, but I wouldn't mind putting him out there for a drive and force-feeding him the ball until he gets 16 yards. Players care about that stuff, and letting him get it is part of how Andy gains so much respect.

Yeah, I'd do what the player wants in these situations. It's a game and people want to unlock accomplishments.

Bowser 01-03-2024 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17317080)
Playoff Patrick will burst forth from the Fortress of Solitude next week.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3wd1-10B8R8?si=js-Jr36nKdNhT5qU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(yeah I'm old, lol)

(and this is a job for someone with photoshop skills)

Kman34 01-03-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17317085)
Yeah, I'd do what the player wants in these situations. It's a game and people want to unlock accomplishments.

Rice is close too.. Should he play or should his spot go to a struggling WR??? Pick anyone..

Rausch 01-03-2024 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 17317094)
Rice is close too.. Should he play or should his spot go to a struggling WR??? Pick anyone..

I'd play him. He's still a rookie that's still learning this offense - and unlike the other ass WR's he seems to be capable of learning it...

Kman34 01-03-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17317098)
I'd play him. He's still a rookie that's still learning this offense - and unlike the other ass WR's he seems to be capable of learning it...

I would think he would benefit from a “bye” too. Maybe only a few plays.. 5 or 6 at most..

DaFace 01-03-2024 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 17317105)
I would think he would benefit from a “bye” too. Maybe only a few plays.. 5 or 6 at most..

I think in general I'd treat it like a preseason game. Starters (aside from Mahomes) get a drive or two, but that's it.

philfree 01-03-2024 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 17317094)

I'd just a soon rest everybody we can. Rice can hang out with Mahomes, watching film and playing catch. Same for Kelce. I'll back whatever Big Red decides though.

wazu 01-03-2024 03:04 PM

It sounded to me like Chris Jones, Pacheco, and Rice are all "out". They aren't practicing at least, and can't imagine them playing. Gabbert said a lot in his interview. Sounds like Kelce says he doesn't care about the stats but the whole team is aware and wants it for him. Said if Kelce gets in the game he'll be doing everything he can to get him 17 yards.

But I kinda think Andy sits him, which is what I'm hoping for. I want absolute minimum risk in a meaningless game. Let Kelce go find glory in the playoffs.

T-post Tom 01-03-2024 03:11 PM

Quote:

This is not about any bonus. His series of seasons with 1000 yards receiving is substantial. I suspect that he only plays in this game if he wants to. Andy will give him that respect. (He doesn’t have that many yards to get to 1000 & Trav may retire after this season.) If I were the coach, I would let him play a series or two to get his yards and then yank him for the rest of the game; assuming that Trav wants to hit 1000.

OnTheWarpath15 01-03-2024 03:14 PM

I hope they rest as many guys as they can - God knows they need both the physical and mental break.

KC Shox 01-03-2024 03:17 PM

Some of y’all are worrywarts. Travis has missed 4 starts in the past 9 seasons. He’ll be just fine, the man is tough and durable. Playing an offensive possession or two to get his 16 is easy peasy then yanked is nothing to be concerned about.

wazu 01-03-2024 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Shox (Post 17317171)
Some of y’all are worrywarts. Travis has missed 4 starts in the past 9 seasons. He’ll be just fine, the man is tough and durable. Playing an offensive possession or two to get his 16 is easy peasy then yanked is nothing to be concerned about.

Resting on the sidelines is REALLY nothing to e concerned about. It's an NFL game. Injuries happen every other play. And Travis hasn't exactly looked "fresh" lately. Get some rest and go into the playoffs fully charged.

FloridaMan88 01-03-2024 03:24 PM

Quote:

He’s been banged up all season as a 34 year old TE with a ton of wear and tear.

He needs a bye week more than anyone.

OnTheWarpath15 01-03-2024 03:25 PM

This isn't just about Travis.

Our QB looks ****ing exhaused.

This is the longest season the only good WR we have has ever played.

Our RB's are beat to shit.

The defense's backs are sore from carrying this team.

Give whoever you can a break - Lombardi's are infinitely more important than personal stats.

KCUnited 01-03-2024 03:27 PM

Its not about one day either, its essentially a week off

smithandrew051 01-03-2024 03:28 PM

Good. It was never really a question.

I think we all knew Andy wouldn’t play key players in a meaningless game.

Kman34 01-03-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

He started out with an injured knee and sat out.. Hurt his ankle.. And still close to 1000.. I’d rather him sit.. I think he’s the person who needs the most rest and mental reset..

DaFace 01-03-2024 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 17317215)
He started out with an injured knee and sat out.. Hurt his ankle.. And still close to 1000.. I’d rather him sit.. I think he’s the person who needs the most rest and mental reset..

Sure, but what I feel is most lacking from Travis right now is his swagger. If he doesn't hit 1k, the narrative will be that this was the first year of his decline. If he gets there, I can see it being at least a minor boost to his mojo to feel like he's still got it even if it's harder than before.

Gary Cooper 01-03-2024 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17317234)
Sure, but what I feel is most lacking from Travis right now is his swagger. If he doesn't hit 1k, the narrative will be that this was the first year of his decline. If he gets there, I can see it being at least a minor boost to his mojo to feel like he's still got it even if it's harder than before.

How can that be? He's banging Taylor Swift.

T-post Tom 01-03-2024 03:41 PM

Quote:

This seems very plausible. If he catches a 16 yard pass and leaves the game, the subsequent future conversations will be about his record for thousand yard seasons… not that he only caught one or two passes and was taken out of the game. Let him have a light load in practice this week and a few opportunities to get 16 yards during the game. Does not seem like a lot of risk to me. Just my humble opinion.

notorious 01-03-2024 03:42 PM

Good. They need the break.

Wouldn't shock me if Kelce gets a couple catches to go over 1000, though.

Kman34 01-03-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

If he played the first game it wouldn’t matter.. I would like him to get it too.. But the added pressure to get it quick at LA where he will likely be double teamed adds more mental stress to an already stressful season.. I just think he needs a mental reset to get his “mojo” back

Bump 01-03-2024 03:44 PM

Quote:

I say force him the ball until he gets 16 yards. That's one hell of a historic streak he has going, I doubt he wants it to end. But honestly the 17th game waters it down quite a bit, was way more impressive with 16 games.

Rain Man 01-03-2024 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17317144)
It sounded to me like Chris Jones, Pacheco, and Rice are all "out". They aren't practicing at least, and can't imagine them playing. Gabbert said a lot in his interview. Sounds like Kelce says he doesn't care about the stats but the whole team is aware and wants it for him. Said if Kelce gets in the game he'll be doing everything he can to get him 17 yards.

But I kinda think Andy sits him, which is what I'm hoping for. I want absolute minimum risk in a meaningless game. Let Kelce go find glory in the playoffs.

Chris is out? Chris "Half a Sack to a Million Dollars" Jones is sitting out? Who made that decision?

With Kelce, you can bring him in for a series and force the ball to him. Jones is a tougher call, because even if he plays the whole game there's a 50 percent chance that he won't get half a sack. Well, it's the Chargers with Easton Stick, so maybe 80 percent.

T-post Tom 01-03-2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17317260)
Chris is out? Chris "Half a Sack to a Million Dollars" Jones is sitting out? Who made that decision?

With Kelce, you can bring him in for a series and force the ball to him. Jones is a tougher call, because even if he plays the whole game there's a 50 percent chance that he won't get half a sack. Well, it's the Chargers with Easton Stick, so maybe 80 percent.

I strongly suspect that the Clarks will pay him the bonus anyway. One way or another. :)

Kman34 01-03-2024 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 17317259)
I say force him the ball until he gets 16 yards. That's one hell of a historic streak he has going, I doubt he wants it to end. But honestly the 17th game waters it down quite a bit, was way more impressive with 16 games.

Technically it would be 16 because he didn't play against the Lions..

wazu 01-03-2024 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17317260)

Chris said himself he'd take the rest if offered. Said he had some minor bumps and things that could heal up some.

Rain Man 01-03-2024 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 17317269)
I strongly suspect that the Clarks will pay him the bonus anyway. One way or another. :)

I'm wondering that myself. Sign a quick contract amendment from "ten sacks" to "be in uniform for the 17th game of the season". The Hunts are nice people.

staylor26 01-03-2024 03:53 PM

Has there been any updates on Bryan Cook?

Rain Man 01-03-2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17317283)
Chris said himself he'd take the rest if offered. Said he had some minor bumps and things that could heal up some.

Wow. He clearly needs $1 million less than I do.

wazu 01-03-2024 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17317288)
Wow. He clearly needs $1 million less than I do.

I'm kind of wondering if we really know what his contract states. Are we sure it's only regular season? He seemed to care when he was counting on his fingers last Sunday.

Danguardace 01-03-2024 04:09 PM

If Chiefs play people for personal Milestones they aren't serious about winning a championship this year

irafreak 01-03-2024 04:10 PM

Kelce can do what he wants for this. He's earned it. This isn't a rookie receiver that is just starting his career. He may be done after this. Let him try to do what he wants to do.

16 yards should be easy enough for reid to scheme up...especially when they don't need to win the game.

irafreak 01-03-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 17317324)
If Chiefs play people for personal Milestones they aren't serious about winning a championship this year

Nonsense. This is a one time situation. If he wants to go for it, Reid probably gives him a special series and then get it or not, have a seat. He did that was it two years ago when kelce had I think a 100 yard game streak. He dropped the shovel pass and that was it.

penguinz 01-03-2024 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 17317259)

It will only be 16 games for Kelce.

Chieftain 01-03-2024 04:15 PM

Kelce was limited at practice which likely indicates he is playing, at least a few snaps to reach the goal of a thousand yards.

T-post Tom 01-03-2024 04:26 PM

Quote:

Sorry bro, that’s a major oversimplification of what’s happening. Reid has been a head coach for a long time. He’ll make the right decision.

TLO 01-03-2024 04:27 PM

Time to fire up another " which players should sit out " thread.

T-post Tom 01-03-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 17317355)
Time to fire up another " which players should sit out " thread.

I’m guessing there may be opinions in the MVS threads. Maybe more encompassing than one game.

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 04:33 PM

Quote:

This. Im frankly surprised at how some have minimalized the importance.

Imagine putting hours and hours and years upon years on a game to break a record. Then one day a lightning storm wipes out everything and you reset at 0. Now imagine that the entire world was watching and these accolades will be talked about by millions for dozens of years. There's a small physical toll to playing a few extra snaps but there's also a mental toll for falling that short.

And man, for a guy nearing retirement... Do we think it's not a big big difference between continuing to chase a milestone this offseason versus starting the season reset at 0?

Our HOF coach needs to dial up his best play. Get travis his 16 yards and have him take a knee. It honestly would not surprise me if the chargers groove that so we can get that distraction out of the way.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2024 04:34 PM

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...tA&oe=659B765C

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17317051)
IIRC, Kelce fumble ****ed a 20 yard TD pass that hit him in the hands a couple of weeks ago....

Toney and the refs also erased 20 yards from kelce with that offsides penalty.

kstater 01-03-2024 04:37 PM

Quote:

Id imagine any starters that sit that are closer to bonuses, will get the bonus paid.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

crispystl 01-03-2024 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftain (Post 17317336)
Kelce was limited at practice which likely indicates he is playing, at least a few snaps to reach the goal of a thousand yards.

I'm hoping they run a couple plays right out of the gate where they bring in Hardman, MVS and Watson to clear shit out for him. I'm sure Andy will scheme up some nice shit so they get him out as quickly as possible if they do decide to play him.

TambaBerry 01-03-2024 04:40 PM

Can't wait for Gabbert to dominate Sunday and then the haters come out and say Mahomes sucks lol

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 04:41 PM

Also for anyone who thinks 17 games is less of an accomplishment, I imagine the Chiefs would have tried way harder to get him those final yards in the final games in a 16 game season. If he was that close we'd find a way to get him his yards .

raybec 4 01-03-2024 04:46 PM

Quote:

Moron.

ThaVirus 01-03-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17317205)
Its not about one day either, its essentially a week off

I always wondered about the logistics..

Any starter who sits out this week will still practice this week, won’t they? Or are they given the whole week off?

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17317398)

Any starter who sits out this week will still practice this week, won’t they? Or are they given the whole week off?

I imagine he will be a limited participant

AdolfOliverBush 01-03-2024 04:59 PM

No way should Kelce play. That would be almost as dumb as having Mahomes play a quarter. As far as 1,000 yards receiving, he had his chance to get there and blew it. It means nothing to the team anyway.

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 17317403)
No way should Kelce play. That would be almost as dumb as having Mahomes play a quarter. As far as 1,000 yards receiving, he had his chance to get there and blew it. It means nothing to the team anyway.

I can guarantee it matters to kelce and it matters to his teammates, and because of that it matters to Reid

How do people think these guys are casual about this?

Spott 01-03-2024 05:10 PM

It’s good to get Gabbert some playing time. We’ve needed to use our backup QB in 2 of our playoff runs, so this is a perfect time to get him some time before the playoffs just in case we do need him.

Kiimo 01-03-2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17317369)

Just for clarity, this is fake.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2024 05:17 PM

stop ruining fun

Kiimo 01-03-2024 05:18 PM

ravens4dummies is actually a regular ravens poster with funny tweets but I had to go around the other day saying no idiots that taylor swift AI thing is fake so this is payback

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 05:19 PM

We're gonna clear these 16 yards ridiculously fast
We're gonna see our players overjoyed and celebrating their favorite teammate. Pure joy, not just a "glad we escaped that close game" kind of joy

And we're going to laugh that we ever worried about the toll it would take on kelce

Danguardace 01-03-2024 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 17317386)
Moron.

You're a pillow biting reerun!

TEX 01-03-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 17317403)

But I bet he does play...

KCUnited 01-03-2024 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17317398)

Either way there's considerable mental and physical prep that goes into playing in a game vs knowing you're not (barring something catastrophic happening during the game). So I imagine its the same whether you're playing one quarter or 4. Guys don't just suit up and play a series without some of the prep.

Now that probably varies for a vet like Travis and Jones but I imagine there's quite a bit of difference for a player knowing they have the week off rather than playing even a limited role when it comes to mental and physical rest.

I mean NYE was 3 days ago, is there a difference in how hard you go knowing you have to practice like you're playing in 2 days or ****ing off all week.

TEX 01-03-2024 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 17317378)
Can't wait for Gabbert to dominate Sunday and then the haters come out and say Mahomes sucks lol

Won't happen. Gabbert sucks.

BWillie 01-03-2024 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 17317159)
This is not about any bonus. His series of seasons with 1000 yards receiving is substantial. I suspect that he only plays in this game if he wants to. Andy will give him that respect. (He doesn’t have that many yards to get to 1000 & Trav may retire after this season.) If I were the coach, I would let him play a series or two to get his yards and then yank him for the rest of the game; assuming that Trav wants to hit 1000.

No it isn't. He's a 100% lock for the HOF. Sit his ass. Nobody gives a shit if its 986 vs 1000.

DaFace 01-03-2024 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17317455)
No it isn't. He's a 100% lock for the HOF. Sit his ass. Nobody gives a shit if its 986 vs 1000.

Patrick Mahomes on a single play that won't impact Kelce's HOF odds in the slightest:

Quote:

“That’s a Hall of Fame tight end making a Hall of Fame play that won’t be shown because [they] threw a flag for offensive offsides. It takes away from, not only this game, this season, but from a legendary career that Travis has had. That hurts me because I know how hard he works for it.”
The players give a shit.

penguinz 01-03-2024 05:38 PM

Quote:

It isn't remotely a personal milestone. It is a historic record that will be around for a long time.

It is good PR for both Kelce and KC Chiefs for him to get the few yards needed.

penguinz 01-03-2024 05:40 PM

Quote:

Amazing that you continue to be more reeruned with each post.

Bearcat 01-03-2024 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 17317463)
Amazing that you continue to be more reeruned with each post.

You would think there’s a bottom to this barrel, right.

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 05:57 PM

Quote:

10 years and even 50 years from now, and all of the annoying conversations with patriot brats who can only celebrate the past and pump gronk up as the GOAT... I can assure you there is a gigantic difference between 7 consecutive seasons and 8 (maybe more)

And there is certainly a huge difference going into next season chasing 9 versus starting from 0 to chase after 1.

penguinz 01-03-2024 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17317471)
You would think there’s a bottom to this barrel, right.

I keep thinking it has to be the bottom and then he somehow breaks through with something else.

BWillie 01-03-2024 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 17317506)
I keep thinking it has to be the bottom and then he somehow breaks through with something else.

Yeah lets play a 34 year old TE whos banged up in a LITERAL meaningless game when we don't have to. What could go wrong? Look at it as a risk benefit analysis/ratio.

What is our ultimate goal? Does playing him increase the probability of us winning the Super Bowl. Absolutely not. Playing him can only hurt our chances...and possibly hurt them catastrophically if he gets hurt.

Gary Cooper 01-03-2024 06:49 PM

Remember when Favre laid down for Strahan?

It'd be nice if someone on the Chargers "accidentally" missed their assignment and gave up an 18 yard gain to Kelce on the first drive.

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2024 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17317527)
Remember when Favre laid down for Strahan?

It'd be nice if someone on the Chargers "accidentally" missed their assignment and gave up an 18 yard gain to Kelce on the first drive.

It sounds crazy but also not

The chargers just want to end the season and until kelce breaks 1000 it's a distraction to the game. Wouldn't surprise me if they groove it to get it out of the way. The sooner it happens the sooner the Chiefs stop giving a shit, which I imagine is what both teams want

Iowanian 01-03-2024 07:14 PM

If kelce wants his thousand they should let him play a couple series to try to get it. If not, he dropped half a dozen passes that would,have had him over.

In the big picture, rest who they can and let the youngsters get some live reps.