ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How many broken phones have you had? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322393)

threebag 04-17-2019 09:13 PM

How many broken phones have you had?

I just recently mowed one of mine. How creative were you when you broke yours?

TLO 04-17-2019 09:20 PM

I got 2 phones

ClevelandBronco 04-17-2019 10:05 PM

One. A canoe was involved.

Fish 04-17-2019 10:07 PM

Zero broken phones in the last 20 years.

Skyy God 04-17-2019 10:11 PM

A couple cracked screens, that’s it.

Scooter LaCanforno 04-18-2019 04:34 AM

I've never broken or cracked a phone. My children are a different story.

rabblerouser 04-18-2019 04:36 AM

I washed one in the washing machine once, like 12 years ago. It was a Motorola Krazr.

displacedinMN 04-18-2019 05:31 AM

1. very lucky only 1. Crushed it in a seat at the Twins game at the Metrodome.

ChiTown 04-18-2019 05:43 AM

I’ve cracked the screen on at least 3 phones that I can recall. I’m rough on cell phones

lewdog 04-18-2019 06:00 AM

Lost one inside Billay’s mom once.

I didn’t ask for it back.

Bwana 04-18-2019 06:15 AM

One cracked screen and one that ended up in an irrigation ditch. The "ditch incident" happened several years ago when I was training Labrador's to retrieve.

I was at the waters edge and had the thing in my front pocket. I bent over to grab one of the throwing dummies and plop. :eek: Thankfully I was able to find it under water and had a buddy who was district manager for Verizon. He pulled some strings and got me a new one.

SAUTO 04-18-2019 06:31 AM

at least 20

HemiEd 04-18-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 14212039)
I’ve cracked the screen on at least 3 phones that I can recall. I’m rough on cell phones

I had company paid cell phones for over 25 years, started out with the big Motorola brick, never damaged a single one of them.

Retired 5 years ago and am now paying for my own phone. I have broken two and drowned two. It has gotten kind of expensive.

I can identify that awful sound when they land and know when they have broken by the sound. Both times they landed in my gravel driveway falling out of my pocket.

Jumped in the lake putting the fishing boat on the trailer, ooops, remembered phone was in my pocket. Then another day couldn't find my phone until I checked the bottom of the hot tub.

Bwana 04-18-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14212067)
I had company paid cell phones for over 25 years, started out with the big Motorola brick, never damaged a single one of them.

Retired 5 years ago and am now paying for my own phone. I have broken two and drowned two. It has gotten kind of expensive.

I can identify that awful sound when they land and know when they have broken by the sound. Both times they landed in my gravel driveway falling out of my pocket.

Jumped in the lake putting the fishing boat on the trailer, ooops, remembered phone was in my pocket. Then another day couldn't find my phone until I checked the bottom of the hot tub.

ROFL

Yeah I can relate, they don't float well. :hmmm:

Bwana 04-18-2019 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14212065)
at least 20

My cell phone death count would be a lot higher as well, but several years ago I started using the OtterBox Defender case. That move has saved me from many bonus trips to Verizon. I had one take a dive off a ladder at 10 feet, bounce off the concrete and it survived.

HemiEd 04-18-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14212072)
ROFL

Yeah I can relate, they don't float well. :hmmm:

Exactly. Since then the phone goes nowhere near the hot tub, especially when enjoying adult beverages. :D

ptlyon 04-18-2019 06:49 AM

My last phone died on Daytona Sunday. Wouldn't take a charge, which is bullshit. It's like they build them to expire.

That one was the new one from one that I laid on my truck tailgate and the GF went to close it. Slid back and right into the slot between the tailgate and the box. Crunch.

HemiEd 04-18-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14212077)
My cell phone death count would be a lot higher as well, but several years ago I started using the OtterBox Defender case. That move has saved me from many bonus trips to Verizon. I had one take a dive off a ladder at 10 feet, bounce off the concrete and it survived.

That is pretty impressive. I believe that is the case the Mrs. got for my new Pixel phone.

Bwana 04-18-2019 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=HemiEd;14212085]
Quote:

My cell phone death count would be a lot higher as well, but several years ago I started using the OtterBox Defender case. That move has saved me from many bonus trips to Verizon. I had one take a dive off a ladder at 10 feet, bounce off the concrete and it survived.[/QUOTE]

That is pretty impressive. I believe that is the case the Mrs. got for my new Pixel phone.

I have had several drops that would have taken out phones, if I didn't have them in an OtterBox. The one time it didn't work, the phone landed face first on a rock. That would be the time I had to venture over to the cell phone repair outfit and have the screen replaced.

HayWire 04-18-2019 07:09 AM

I've broken one in the last twenty years and it was unfortunately intentional. I had an old razr flip phone and snapped it in half after getting into in argument with my ex-wife. I threw the top half in the yard and the bottom half on the porch.

I didn't find out until a half hour later that if you keep cussing your ex with just the bottom part laying near by that it still works

WhawhaWhat 04-18-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14212082)
My last phone died on Daytona Sunday. Wouldn't take a charge, which is bullshit. It's like they build them to expire.

"Planned obsolescence"

Apple and Samsung fined for deliberately slowing down phones

ptlyon 04-18-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 14212111)

I somewhat remember that, 'cept mine was a Motorola

Shaid 04-18-2019 08:08 AM

None but I'm also only on my 3rd phone ever. Refused to get one until my job finally made me have to. I've had a phone for maybe 10 years or so now.

tooge 04-18-2019 08:12 AM

I've killed three with water. Dropped one into Shawnee Mission Park lake while fishing. Sat in a hot tub and forgot I had my phone in my pocket with the second one. Had one at the beach underneath a cooler in my backpack. One of my kids got a water out of the cooler and tilted it, allowing water to drip into my pack. Killed that one too.

oldman 04-18-2019 08:30 AM

I broke a lot of them in my previous life as a telephone installer. Roaches would get into wall phones and you had to either bang the phone on the ground to dislodge the little bastards, spray the snot out of the innards with bug spray, or risk them getting into your truck. Going into a new home, opening the box of a brand new phone to install, and having those asswipes crawl out was frowned upon.

BWillie 04-18-2019 08:39 AM

Once, ever. But many ppl i know break their screen once every 4 months. I don't understand.

Couch-Potato 04-18-2019 09:36 AM

all of em

ToxSocks 04-18-2019 09:39 AM

None. Knock on wood.

I have never broken a cell phone. Ever. I've had my current phone for about 3 years now and i don't even have a case for it.

ChiefBlueCFC 04-18-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 14212004)
I washed one in the washing machine once, like 12 years ago. It was a Motorola Krazr.

I had just got back from Afghanistan, and I was at a party in the bathroom and dropped my Krazr in the toilet (luckily there was nothing in it). Naturally it didn't work so I took it to Verizon the next day and it turned on when I was in the store. Got a new phone anyway but I loved that phone.

jd1020 04-18-2019 10:00 AM

First thing I do when getting my phone is put it in a slim as possible but protective case with a bumper and shell combo and put a tempered glass screen protector on it. Never broken a phone but I've had scratches and nicks on them from drops.

My last phone, LG G2, developed a dead space that went from side to side about half inch thick that would register touch, I guess it was typical for that phone. I just went onto Ebay and ordered a new digitizer and replaced it myself for $30. Couple years later it started acting up and would show only a very small display that would only let you use a weather widget and make emergency calls only. Not sure if it's because it eventually developed 2 cracks in the frame because you could temporarily fix the issue by bending the phone in a certain way, but it was 4 or 5 years old at that point and I just got a new phone. Probably still end up spending another $30 on a new digitizer with a frame to see if that fixes it and use it as a backup, still a pretty capable phone.

oldman 04-18-2019 10:17 AM

Oldwoman killed one with bug repellent. She had a pump spray bottle in her tote bag and the cap wasn't on tight. Of course she put her phone in the same bag. I mean, who wants to carry 2 bags?? Me: "Dear, why was your phone in your tote bag instead of your purse?" Her: "Shut up or you won't be needing your little blue pills for a loooooong time". Me: "Do you have a preference on your new phone?" The woman scares me sometimes.

crispystl 04-18-2019 10:34 AM

If any of you have phones with cracked glass laying around I buy them.

threebag 04-18-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14212044)
Lost one inside Billay’s mom once.

I didn’t ask for it back.

You missed out should have retrieved it with your teeth

ChiefsHawk 04-18-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

It wasn't intentional on Apple's end. The batteries in the older devices couldn't keep up with the power needed to run the newer operating system. They should have not allowed those older devices to run on them and it would have been a none issue.

58-4ever 04-18-2019 11:01 AM

All of them.

KCFalcon59 04-18-2019 12:39 PM

I've never broken a phone of mine. However my kids have broken each and every one they have had.

kcxiv 04-18-2019 01:03 PM

2. i got into the cellphone game really late, never wanted one. My sister kinda just bought me one and said here! lol

Pitt Gorilla 04-18-2019 01:23 PM

https://www.thesimsresource.com/scaled/1411/1411175.jpg

threebag 04-18-2019 07:39 PM

The day before I mowed mine, my grandson slammed it face down on the table because he couldn’t stay the night. Shards of glass fell out of the corners. So my phone had a bad two days before it’s demise.

GloryDayz 04-18-2019 07:57 PM

I had my last Samsung S6 until the day the battery expanded and started popping the back off. The little lady at Best Buy did get a lot moved, but it "moved" later that evening after getting home and that was because, well, the meltdown was happening. The phone was hot to the touch! LOL, just LOL.. I put it in a bucket of water just to hear it sizzle...

Other phones have been taken to the farm and put to rest with 9mm, .243 and 30.06 rounds.

The next time we're going to have a drone drop a phone and see the carnage.

ROYC75 04-18-2019 08:08 PM

None, I have never broken any of my phones.

Now I have had 1 that my grand kids have dropped twice, Galaxy S4,just a couple of small cracks.

FTR, I'm still using it, everyday!

Don't need anything fancy, this damn thing was fancy when I got it. I hate to switch and have to get use to another phone. My previous phone was an iphone 3.

GloucesterChief 04-18-2019 10:21 PM

Washed a flip phone but that was the only one I broke.

Kept a chocolat for about 8 years and then had to upgrade due to work. That phone stopped charging after about 4 years and got my current one which I plan to use until it dies.

GloryDayz 04-18-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 14214088)
Washed a flip phone but that was the only one I broke.

Kept a chocolat for about 8 years and then had to upgrade due to work. That phone stopped charging after about 4 years and got my current one which I plan to use until it dies.

The battery will pop the back off when it's time.

TrebMaxx 04-18-2019 10:37 PM

I have never broke a phone. I also recommend the Otterbox for protection.

007 04-19-2019 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 14214102)
I have never broke a phone. I also recommend the Otterbox for protection.

Unfortunately, they don't make an otterbox for every phone in existance. Pretty much has to be flagship phones if you want an otter.

ChiliConCarnage 04-19-2019 04:02 AM

Just 1 time. I'm normally pretty protective of them

Last phone I had 3+ years but it got to the point where the battery wasnt worth a shit

threebag 04-19-2019 07:24 AM

Well, a riding mower is a game ender. I have broken many, mostly just screens by rolling on my side while working on something on the ground (car, airplane parts or honey do list shit) I have a bad habit of leaving them on my lap when driving. I forget them when I get out and send them falling onto the ground

Chief Roundup 04-19-2019 07:42 AM

I was on the phone when I walked around the back of the truck and got the hitch to the shin. Stopped me dead in my tracks and the phone when flying about 6 feet before hitting the concrete and sliding another 15 foot across the garage into the wall. It cracked the corner of the screen and messed up the speaker. It is the only phone I have ever broke.

Lzen 04-19-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14212082)

That one was the new one from one that I laid on my truck tailgate and the GF went to close it. Slid back and right into the slot between the tailgate and the box. Crunch.

My wife had a similar incident at a Chiefs tailgate with her phone in the opened trunk of our car. :shake:

As for me, only 1. Years ago when I first got my Samsung Galaxy S3 and brought it home I had it on the armrest of my recliner. It fell off onto the wood floor (maybe a couple of feet) and the screen cracked. I had only had it for a couple of hours. :banghead: I hadn't had a chance to get a case because I didn't care to buy from the mall sellers.

Lzen 04-19-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14212085)

I have had several drops that would have taken out phones, if I didn't have them in an OtterBox. The one time it didn't work, the phone landed face first on a rock. That would be the time I had to venture over to the cell phone repair outfit and have the screen replaced.

Otterbox cases are quality, but there are others now that do a good job of protecting your phone. I have had Otterbox, Ballistic, and my current one is a Spigen.

Lzen 04-19-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Not surprising at all. I kind of always knew this.

Lzen 04-19-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14212577)
Oldwoman killed one with bug repellent. She had a pump spray bottle in her tote bag and the cap wasn't on tight. Of course she put her phone in the same bag. I mean, who wants to carry 2 bags?? Me: "Dear, why was your phone in your tote bag instead of your purse?" Her: "Shut up or you won't be needing your little blue pills for a loooooong time". Me: "Do you have a preference on your new phone?" The woman scares me sometimes.

ROFL

ptlyon 04-19-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14214362)
I was on the phone when I walked around the back of the truck and got the hitch to the shin.

Doesn't that suck? ROFL And then your pantleg is full of grease.

threebag 04-19-2019 08:17 AM

As the screens get bigger it seems they are easier to **** up. The tempered glass protector has saved a few. First time I used the protector I was pissed because it looked like a crack. I left it on and dropped my phone again cracking it more. When I was getting ready to replace my phone I was taking the stuff off and woah... I didn’t have a cracked screen. I was stoked. That was a long time ago on an iPhone 5s. At a grand a phone a little protection goes a long way.

Iowanian 04-19-2019 08:24 AM

Many years ago I had one of those Nokia phones with the pull up antennae that were all the rage. I got sucked into buying a warranty.

Ffwd a little and the mic on the phone stops working out of the blue. I took it inside a us cellualr place to get it replaced under the warranty. The people at the desk argue with me and say the phone isn't "broken, it's just not working". They imply if the phone was physically broken it would have been replaced.

Weirdest thing happened in the parking lot. My phone accidentally fell off of the hood of my truck and was run over 3-4 times and then I accidentally stepped on it when I was looking for it.

I brought it back inside in a sandwich bag in several pieces.

The guy was furious and said it looked like it had been run over. Weird.

I did get a replacement phone sent to me. It was prob ably the oldest phone they had that wasn't attached to a bag.

The lesson here is that most warranties are a sham.

FlaChief58 04-19-2019 08:33 AM

Left one laying on the tool box of my work truck and drove off. It was less than a week old...

MTG#10 04-19-2019 08:35 AM

Zero. I don't use a case either and now that Samsung insists on these stupid curved screens on every phone I don't even use a screen protector. I am careful with my phones.

SAUTO 04-19-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14214362)
I was on the phone when I walked around the back of the truck and got the hitch to the shin. Stopped me dead in my tracks and the phone when flying about 6 feet before hitting the concrete and sliding another 15 foot across the garage into the wall. It cracked the corner of the screen and messed up the speaker. It is the only phone I have ever broke.

I get hitches to the shin quite often when hauling ass across the shop and parking lot

SAUTO 04-19-2019 06:49 PM

I accidentally threw a guy's phone out my sunroof while running 98 headed north into harrisonville a couple years ago.

Looked at him and said oh shit it's gone. We slammed on the brakes and just as we were getting stopped it came flying back in and hit the flat screen on the radio. Neither the phone or the radio was hurt so we decided going to kc to party was what we were destined to do that night. So we hammered down.

SAUTO 04-19-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14214449)
Doesn't that suck? ROFL And then your pantleg is full of grease.

Or much worse

TinyEvel 04-20-2019 01:09 PM

number of phones broken: 0

number of playstation wireless controllers broken to bits: 3
consoles: 1

after I stopped drinking: 0

Cntrygal 04-20-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

I use the OtterBox Defender too! I've had to replace a couple cases, but the phone has been fine!

TLO 04-20-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cntrygal (Post 14216441)
I use the OtterBox Defender too! I've had to replace a couple cases, but the phone has been fine!

I also use OtterBox Defender bb Cntygal. I've found it offers the best protection bang for the buck.

MTG#10 04-21-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 14214494)
Zero. I don't use a case either and now that Samsung insists on these stupid curved screens on every phone I don't even use a screen protector. I am careful with my phones.

I jinxed myself with this post. First time in 20 years owning a cell phone, I dropped it yesterday working in my yard and the bottom left corner spider-webbed. Luckily its contained to the corner but still, **** this thread.

:cuss:

Chief Roundup 04-21-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14215623)
I get hitches to the shin quite often when hauling ass across the shop and parking lot

One of the worst pains there is!

threebag 04-21-2019 07:17 PM

Thought my grandson did my phone in again today. It’s only a couple days old. I about shit myself. Picked it up and no damage.

Discuss Thrower 04-21-2019 07:20 PM

Killed the ringer in a Nokia 2260, cracked a Nokia 3120 (?) in a car wreck, Windows SmartPhone joystick (the only way to use the OS) wore out in two straight handsets, cracked an iPhone 4 screen, killed some pixels dropping an Edge 7 face down in Lot H two years ago.

Chargem 04-22-2019 03:10 AM

Only destroyed one, was out hiking and there was some unexpectedly hard rain. I didn't find out until it stopped that the seal on the chest pocket of my waterproof jacket was faulty, the whole pocket was full of water with my phone in it.

Apparently if I had dried the phone out before I tried to turn it on it might have been okay., but I didn't.

tmax63 04-22-2019 06:49 AM

Never owned a phone until about a year ago when I starting delivering pizzas part time for giggles. Had it less than a week before it got the first screen cracked and washed in the laundry because neither of us was used to checking that particular pocket of my pants before washing. Bought a replacement and had 2 screen cracks (1 at top and 1 at bottom of screen) within a couple days but it doesn't affect function and I'm still carrying it when I deliver as of now.