ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Rank alcohols for me. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318584)

Rain Man 11-01-2018 10:48 AM

Rank alcohols for me.

Okay, I'm not a drinker so maybe this is obvious, but it's not obvious to me.

There are all sorts of alcohol - beer, wine, whiskey, bourbon, rum, scotch, gin, vodka, tequila, port wines, and so on.

I recognize that there are probably big differences in brand quality within those major categories. Bud Light is different than some German monk artisanal brand. But put that aside. Let's just think about categories ACROSS types of alcohol.

What's the hierarchy of quality or prestige or whatever? Is gin generally "better" than rum? Is scotch "better" than bourbon? Is wine "better" than tequila?

Can someone give me a top to bottom rank of the "best" alcohol down to the "worst" alcohol?

Bewbies 11-01-2018 10:49 AM

THC > all alcohol

Easy enough.

TambaBerry 11-01-2018 10:52 AM

whiskey and bourbon > all

In58men 11-01-2018 10:54 AM

Give me some Makers Mark and we cool.

jjchieffan 11-01-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13861223)
Okay, I'm not a drinker so maybe this is obvious, but it's not obvious to me.

There are all sorts of alcohol - beer, wine, whiskey, bourbon, rum, scotch, gin, vodka, tequila, port wines, and so on.

I recognize that there are probably big differences in brand quality within those major categories. Bud Light is different than some German monk artisanal brand. But put that aside. Let's just think about categories ACROSS types of alcohol.

What's the hierarchy of quality or prestige or whatever? Is gin generally "better" than rum? Is scotch "better" than bourbon? Is wine "better" than tequila?

Can someone give me a top to bottom rank of the "best" alcohol down to the "worst" alcohol?

Well, for starters, scotch and bourbon are both types of whiskey. So your lack of alcohol knowledge is obvious. So, since you're not a drinker, why the curiosity? Not trying to make fun of you. I'm just wondering where you're going with this!

notorious 11-01-2018 10:57 AM

Yes.

loochy 11-01-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13861223)
Is gin generally "better" than rum? Is scotch "better" than bourbon? Is wine "better" than tequila?

No. It's all a matter of personal taste.

For example, I like vodka the best and I like rum. I HATE HATE HATE whiskey type products...their sweet taste is absolutely disgusting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coochie liquor 11-01-2018 11:00 AM

I never got into Gin until about a year ago. Now I love it. I try to stay with only clear alcohol and don’t like the brown alcohols too much. My list would go Gin, Tequila, Rum, Vodka.

Rasputin 11-01-2018 11:00 AM

I'm a Scothcoholic and my name is KC

TribalElder 11-01-2018 11:00 AM

free booze > non free booze

ptlyon 11-01-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 13861244)
I never got into Gin until about a year ago. Now I love it. I try to stay with only clear alcohol and don’t like the brown alcohols too much. My list would go Gin, Tequila, Rum, Vodka.

If you're ever sitting there drinking gin and then it starts to taste like a Xmas tree, don't get up. You'll just fall down anyway.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-01-2018 11:06 AM

Beer
Beer
Beer
Beer
Beer
Beer
Water

TwistedChief 11-01-2018 11:07 AM

There's no right answer and a lot of it depends on an individual's location/situation and personal preference.

Drinking some old Bordeaux wine might be perfectly fine at a gathering in NYC where Bud Light would look ridiculous.

Flip that situation and we're in the parking lot at Arrowhead. If I'm sipping fancy wine, I'm now probably a complete douche and no one gives a second thought to the guy on his 8th Bud Light.

ClevelandBronco 11-01-2018 11:08 AM

It's all pretty subjective and answers can be influenced by the occasion. I'd start with these as the default setting for me back in the day when I imbibed:

Scotch
Tequila
Wine
Bourbon
Beer
Vodka
Rum
Gin

Note that brand quality might heavily influence the order of my answers. And while that's true, I really can't tell much of a difference between good vodka and shit vodka.

Baby Lee 11-01-2018 11:10 AM

I don't think of alcohol in terms of worst to best, but more in terms of matching to environment.

It's kind of like asking to rank vehicles from worst to best. Is a truck 'better' than a sports car? Is a commuter jet 'better' than a mini-van?

Maybe if you could formulate more focused questions, like 'is beer or whiskey better at a picnic?'

In the mean time, here's a breakdown of the general origins of most spirits.

www.alexreisner.com/misc/distilled-spirits

Mr. Kotter 11-01-2018 11:11 AM

Do a poll, dude....seriously. ;)

Rasputin 11-01-2018 11:11 AM

Mexico saves the good tequila for themselves and exports shitty tequila to the United States. Not even funny.

Basileus777 11-01-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 13861263)
Note that brand quality might heavily influence the order of my answers. And while that's true, I really can't tell much of a difference between good vodka and shit vodka.

There's a difference between bottom of the barrel stuff and everything else, but premium vodka is a scam. If I'm spending more than $25 for a handle, I feel like I'm being ripped off.

Chiefnj2 11-01-2018 11:12 AM

100% personal preference, usually influenced by prior bad experiences.

Rain Man 11-01-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 13861244)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 13861263)
It's all pretty subjective and answers can be influenced by the occasion. I'd start with these as the default setting for me back in the day when I imbibed:

Scotch
Tequila
Wine
Bourbon
Beer
Vodka
Rum
Gin

I always kind of figured that gin was at the bottom of the list because I remember reading about England having a bunch of alcoholism problems when gin became available to the masses. I assumed that was because it was cheap. But when someone orders a gin and tonic in a bar today, I don't necessarily feel like they're slumming, so I wondered if I unfairly maligned gin.

Beef Supreme 11-01-2018 11:15 AM

I thought Rain Man was gonna list alcohols he considers rank.

ToxSocks 11-01-2018 11:17 AM

I'm a Whisky & Brandy guy. I think Gin is disgusting.

Rasputin 11-01-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 13861275)
100% personal preference, usually influenced by prior bad experiences.

I'll never drink Hot Damn again :shake: /1994

Rain Man 11-01-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13861239)
Well, for starters, scotch and bourbon are both types of whiskey. So your lack of alcohol knowledge is obvious. So, since you're not a drinker, why the curiosity? Not trying to make fun of you. I'm just wondering where you're going with this!

I'm really just curious, and wondering if my teetotaler life makes me ignorant on this topic.

They're all variants on the same thing, so logically it seems like one would be at the top of the heap and one would be the slumming version and everything else would shake out in between. But I never really hear it talked about that way.

I'm seeing a lot of comments so far that they're all generally equal and it depends on taste. I guess I can see that, and I like the analogy of comparing types of vehicles.

It just seems to me that if I go into some mega-rich Rothschild guy's mahogany-paneled library, and he opens up his 16th-century world globe and pours some drinks out of a decanter, there should be some type of alcohol that I'd expect and some type that surprises me. But I don't know which ones those would be.

Graystoke 11-01-2018 11:21 AM

Gin must be an acquired taste because I have never liked it.
I do like the scent of it, but that is it.

Alcohol favorites depend on the season. I mean I don't like a Bourbon when I am out on a sandbar on a nice summer day, that is beer time.
And conversely on a cold winter night I don't crave a cold beer, I want a nice smooth bourbon.
Wines I don't know shit about. My wife does and she likes the high dollar variety.

BWillie 11-01-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13861226)
THC > all alcohol

Easy enough.

I don't really like feeling tired and wanting to just sit in one spot. Then feeling borderline paranoid. That is what weed does for me. With alcohol - I feel happy & joyful - at least for a while and then I feel like shit. But it is great while it lasts!

KCUnited 11-01-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13861295)
It just seems to me that if I go into some mega-rich Rothschild guy's mahogany-paneled library, and he opens up his 16th-century world globe and pours some drinks out of a decanter, there should be some type of alcohol that I'd expect and some type that surprises me. But I don't know which ones those would be.

The scarcest.

BWillie 11-01-2018 11:22 AM

I also don't understand whisky - any brand. It all tastes like shit. I like vodka and rum, though.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 11:23 AM

Rum is for teenagers and schlubs. You should never drink rum.

That said you absolutely drink rum in one setting and that is on the beach in South Florida. But even then you should sack up and drink tequila probably.

ToxSocks 11-01-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13861307)
I don't really like feeling tired and wanting to just sit in one spot. Then feeling borderline paranoid. That is what weed does for me. With alcohol - I feel happy & joyful - at least for a while and then I feel like shit. But it is great while it lasts!

The correct answer is both. Get high af and then sit down with a glass of whiskey.....twiiiiisttted.

Baby Lee 11-01-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

I'm really just curious, and wondering if my teetotaler life makes me ignorant on this topic.

They're all variants on the same thing, so logically it seems like one would be at the top of the heap and one would be the slumming version and everything else would shake out in between. But I never really hear it talked about that way.

I'm seeing a lot of comments so far that they're all generally equal and it depends on taste. I guess I can see that, and I like the analogy of comparing types of vehicles.

If you're looking for the 'Rothschild' level, I'd say Aged Irish Whiskeys and French Bordeaux are the two 'secret flask' spirits.

But most of it is about the level of curation within the subgenre, and pairing with food and situation. As opposed to one genre being blanket superior.

KCUnited 11-01-2018 11:24 AM

Jeppson's Malört
Everything else

Rasputin 11-01-2018 11:24 AM

I hated that commercial Taste Great / Less Filling where people are arguing over why to drink a beer. Can it taste great and be less filling ? I don't know

ToxSocks 11-01-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13861311)
I also don't understand whisky - any brand. It all tastes like shit. I like vodka and rum, though.

Bleh. Not a Vodka guy and Rum is too sweet.

Crown Royal is my go to whisky and i drink it out of an American flag decorated stainless flask.

#hellamanly

Baby Lee 11-01-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13861327)
I hated that commercial Taste Great / Less Filling where people are arguing over why to drink a beer. Can it taste great and be less filling ? I don't know

That campaign started back when 'Lite' beers were as disparaged as 'near beer' is today.

Like with diet soda, the presumption is, if you focus on cutting calories, you aren't concentrating on maximizing flavor.

CervezaChill 11-01-2018 11:31 AM

I only drink Fireball on the rocks, don't judge.

Easy 6 11-01-2018 11:33 AM

Beer, rum, vodka and real tequila for me

Just cant do the rest, whiskey type products turn my stomach and gin is like drinking a pine tree... no thanks

fan4ever 11-01-2018 11:38 AM

I enjoy all types of alcohol mostly but I find a craft beer gets me that nice mellow buzz much quicker than a mixed drink. Perhaps it's the sugar, etc. but it's not even close for me (of course I mix diet coke with most of my mixed drink so less sugar).

ToxSocks 11-01-2018 11:39 AM

I don't do beer anymore now that i've adapted to whisky.

A half pint of decent whisky will get you better buzz much faster than a 6 pack of cheap beer, costs about the same and you don't get all gassy, beer gut and have to piss 5 times in the process.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 11:42 AM

Craft beer and most beer is good but these days I have about a 3-4 beer limit before I'm full and bloated and have to switch to whiskey or vodka.

Vodka sodas are easily the most frequent drink of choice but vodka doesn't have a "taste" per se, other than the taste of alcohol.

The best flavors belong to the whiskey family and it isn't close. Some people will try to say tequila but those people are just drunk, don't listen to them. Whiskey is like wine in that it has flavors that take years to accurately be able to identify.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-01-2018 11:43 AM

I do love a Beefeater Gin Martini. though haven't had one in years

ToxSocks 11-01-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13861374)
Craft beer and most beer is good but these days I have about a 3-4 beer limit before I'm full and bloated and have to switch to whiskey or vodka.

Vodka sodas are easily the most frequent drink of choice but vodka doesn't have a "taste" per se, other than the taste of alcohol.

The best flavors belong to the whiskey family and it isn't close. Some people will try to say tequila but those people are just drunk, don't listen to them. Whiskey is like wine in that it has flavors that take years to accurately be able to identify.

Man, just skip the beer and go straight to the whisky. The extra bloat, time, and calories just aren't worth it.

I also find it's much easier to "ride the buzz" with alcohol.

I don't know about you guys, but when i drink beer, i can see its effects on my body the next morning.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 11:47 AM

I uh get a little nuts and then have a pretty bad hangover when I do nothing but whiskey.

I maintain much better with Vodka. Gin I have an intolerance with the sulfites and tequila makes me take my clothes off in public so it's mostly vodka for me.

Frosty 11-01-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13861307)

I've never been much of a drinker. When I hit my 50s, there was some research that said a little alcohol now and then was actually healthful (later research now says "nah") so I thought "WTH, I'll try some cocktails now and then". What I found was instead of getting buzzed and hyped like when I was a teenager, all alcohol does for me now is make me sleepy. Definitely not a fun thing anymore.

Bwana 11-01-2018 11:48 AM

It's very subjective, which is why there are so many kinds of alcohol and styles. There is no single alcohol that does it for everyone. I'm more of a beer guy, I brewed it for years and brewed several different styles. If I go to a bar and order a beer, it's generally a pale ale, a nut brown, or a red. I'm not very giddy about IPA's, but a lot of people love them. I enjoy a good stout or porter as well, but a lot of people don't.

BigBeauford 11-01-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13861226)
THC > all alcohol

Easy enough.

This for sure. Otherwise top shelf tequila is hard to beat.

Frosty 11-01-2018 11:52 AM

I will say that hard cider is this generation's wine coolers.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 11:53 AM

There's a severe lack of wine appreciation in this thread, by the way.

Then again I didn't really get into it much when I lived in Kansas either.

Now that wine country is a little over an hour drive away I've gotten into it and the whole culture is great.

The best thing about Solvang, for instance, is everyone shows up and starts the day all classy and sophisticated when they're tasting wine and by the end of the night everyone is hammered and stumbling all over town. It's pretty hilarious. Sideways nailed that experience.

In the morning you're eating cheese and having someone explain the tannins and the bouquet and by midnight you're running naked through an Ostrich farm.

InChiefsHeaven 11-01-2018 11:59 AM

I enjoy most all of the spirits. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to but I still partake.

I'm very partial to Bourbon, the most superior of whiskeys IMO. I do enjoy Irish and Scotch whiskey. I enjoy them most any time of the year. I like a good Canadian like Crown too.

When I go to the Chiefs game, it's spiced Rum and OJ with my steak and eggs on the grill.

On holiday dinners with the family, I'll always enjoy a nice red wine, Cabernet is my favorite, but there are a lot of reds that I like.

I like Vodka or Gin in a good martini...dry, up, two olives and a little dirty...

Beer, I do like the craft beers, but I really don't drink beer much at all these days. That's my son's department, he's always drinking some weird ass vanilla peanut butter neopolitan stout or something...some of them are pretty good though.

Fireball is not whiskey. It is shit.

TwistedChief 11-01-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Oh, Baron Rothschild! Well, why didn't you just say that? Last time I was at his castle he opened up that dumb globe and we drank some 50y-aged Highland Park (scotch) and 1980 Taylor Fladgate (port). Before heading out, his butler made me a Hemingway Daquiri (rum/maraschino liqueur) and then I shared some Boulevard Wheat (beer) with the guy who maintains his moat. Old Baron's wife and I then flirted over some 1979 Krug Clos du Mesnil (champagne), and although she implored me to spend the night, I had to get back to CP to find out who won the Ermines game. It was a grand time!

InChiefsHeaven 11-01-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13861413)
There's a severe lack of wine appreciation in this thread, by the way.

Then again I didn't really get into it much when I lived in Kansas either.

I found a local winery close to me here that makes a "Sagre Del Toro" or Bull's Blood that is fan-freaking-tastic.

tooge 11-01-2018 12:12 PM

Beer is the best. Always has been. Always will be. If it's a cold night, maybe, just maybe a Rusty Nail (scotch and drambuie) will warm me and put me to bed. Otherwise, people drink to get a buzz and pick their poison based on what they can mix it with to taste the best to them. Thats my experience anyhow, watching my buddies drink different concoctions.

But beer, wonderful beer has been there all along. It can be refreshing on a hot day, wash down a great dinner, or just provide the perfect buzz. And, best of all, at least for me, it's hard to drink beer to the point of feeling like crap the next day. I'd get too full.

So, Beer>>>>>all other alcohol

tooge 11-01-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 13861426)
Oh, Baron Rothschild! Well, why didn't you just say that? Last time I was at his castle he opened up that dumb globe and we drank some 50y-aged Highland Park (scotch) and 1980 Taylor Fladgate (port). Before heading out, his butler made me a Hemingway Daquiri (rum/maraschino liqueur) and then I shared some Boulevard Wheat (beer) with the guy who maintains his moat. Old Baron's wife and I then flirted over some 1979 Krug Clos du Mesnil (champagne), and although she implored me to spend the night, I had to get back to CP to find out who won the Ermines game. It was a grand time!

You have to admit, the best part of the night was drinking the Boulevard Wheat by the moat.

Easy 6 11-01-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13861394)
I uh get a little nuts and then have a pretty bad hangover when I do nothing but whiskey.

I maintain much better with Vodka. Gin I have an intolerance with the sulfites and tequila makes me take my clothes off in public so it's mostly vodka for me.

I've always wondered if the idea that different alcohols affect people in different ways is all in my head or not... because I'm exactly like you when it comes to whiskeys and tequila

Been a looong time since I was whiskey drunk, but the memory remains... I was an absolute idiotic mess

And tequila is right there as well, it tends to make me chippy and aggressive

Nothing else I consume does that to me

bdj23 11-01-2018 12:19 PM

Rumpleminze until you are time traveling

Discuss Thrower 11-01-2018 12:27 PM

Depends totally on the context of why you're choosing to drink alcohol.

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio noir in a pinch.

Celebrating something with a group of people? Decent champagne. Hungover as **** at Summit Grill on a Sunday morning? Cheap champagne and orange juice.

Smoking a cigar? Whisky or bourbon.

Hanging out a tailgate or backyard? Domestic or a light-flavored craft beer.

Self-loathing because you have 25,210 posts on a fan-run football team forum? Throw that Jager back you ****ing degen.

ClevelandBronco 11-01-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13861502)

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio in a pinch.

Celebrating something with a group of people? Decent champagne. Hungover as **** at Summit Grill on a Sunday morning? Cheap champagne and orange juice.

Self-loathing because you have 25,210 posts on a fan-run football team forum? Throw that Jager back you ****ing degen.

Waking up in a puddle of vomit and piss behind a downtown dumpster?

Discuss Thrower 11-01-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 13861505)
Waking up in a puddle of vomit and piss behind a downtown dumpster?

Hand sanitizer.

ptlyon 11-01-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13861469)
I've always wondered if the idea that different alcohols affect people in different ways is all in my head or not... because I'm exactly like you when it comes to whiskeys and tequila

Been a looong time since I was whiskey drunk, but the memory remains... I was an absolute idiotic mess

And tequila is right there as well, it tends to make me chippy and aggressive

Nothing else I consume does that to me

Oh there definitely is. Have a friend when she drinks Jack she gets argumentative. Another on vodka does the same.

A few of us were talking about how different alcohols affect different people. One was a bartender. He said he liked the warm buzz of wine. I then asked him why he usually drinks southern comfort. He responded that it makes him smart and witty.

Bump 11-01-2018 12:37 PM

1. Beer
2. Whiskey/bourbon
3. Scotch
4. Vodka

don't really drink anything else, although its very rare that I do drink in the first place these days but that's what I drink when it happens.

ClevelandBronco 11-01-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13861514)
Hand sanitizer.

Not domestic, certainly.

MahiMike 11-01-2018 12:43 PM

This is like asking what kind of food you like. There are different tastes for different moods.

Rain Man 11-01-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 13861426)

And I have no doubt that the Rothschilds are avid Ermine fans.

A name change would bring us all sorts of new fans, with a particularly strong capture of European royalty.

Dartgod 11-01-2018 12:45 PM

1. Craft beer (pretty much all styles as long as they aren't sour or fruity)
2. Ultra-premium tequila (Don Julio 1942 FTMFW!)
3. Rum (Captain and diet)
4. Mass produced beer (Bud Light or Miller Light)

I've never cared much for any of the whiskey varieties or wine.

Easy 6 11-01-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13861525)
Oh there definitely is. Have a friend when she drinks Jack she gets argumentative. Another on vodka does the same.

A few of us were talking about how different alcohols affect different people. One was a bartender. He said he liked the warm buzz of wine. I then asked him why he usually drinks southern comfort. He responded that it makes him smart and witty.

Its definitely odd, you'd think that on a base level alcohol is alcohol

Coochie liquor 11-01-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CervezaChill (Post 13861353)
I only drink Fireball on the rocks, don't judge.

Hey girl, how you doin??

tooge 11-01-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio in a pinch.

So what about for watching a total shit show on Thursday night football?

Sorce 11-01-2018 12:51 PM

It depends on the occasion and how you are enjoying it. Whiskey, Brandy and Tequila are really the only ones I drink straight. I don't have vodka drinks very often, Gin i have to be in the mood for a gin and tonic or martini. Then there are tons of liqueurs that have different uses for making various cocktails.

Then at the very bottom of the list are jager, hot damn and peppermint schnapps. Nobody should ever drink those.

Discuss Thrower 11-01-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13861574)

If attending game: same answer as "tailgate or backyard."

If not: promethazine and codeine syrup mixed with grape Jolly Ranchers and Sprite.

ptlyon 11-01-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Old English

Baby Lee 11-01-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Dear LORD!! Didn't bother to check who was playing until just now.

Might I suggest something in a Barbicide?

ptlyon 11-01-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13861570)
Its definitely odd, you'd think that on a base level alcohol is alcohol

It's not. A lot has to do how it is distilled would be my guess.

Two glasses of red wine makes me warm and fuzzy. Whiskey doesn't do that to me. The GF doesn't like to see me drink gin. She says it makes me way too drunk.

Discuss Thrower 11-01-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13861597)
It's not. A lot has to do how it is distilled would be my guess.

Two glasses of red wine makes me warm and fuzzy. Whiskey doesn't do that to me. The GF doesn't like to see me drink gin. She says it makes me way too drunk.

P L A C E B O

ptlyon 11-01-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13861602)
P L A C E B O

?

Kiimo 11-01-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio noir in a pinch.

I agree with a lot of this but the best pairing with a cigar in my opinion is scotch, not bourbon.

The best cigar/scotch combination I've ever had was a Belinda Prominente and this

https://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-4revr...425781.jpg?c=2

Thankfully I didn't have to pay for either.

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13861602)
P L A C E B O

No.

bricks 11-01-2018 01:02 PM

I hate alcohol. They all suck and therefore I give them all a zero.

Discuss Thrower 11-01-2018 01:02 PM

Alcohol is alcohol. The only difference is the rate and concentration in which you imbibe it.

MagicHef 11-01-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13861271)
Mexico saves the good tequila for themselves and exports shitty tequila to the United States. Not even funny.

Some, I assume, is good tequila.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13861611)
Alcohol is alcohol. The only difference is the rate and concentration in which you imbibe it.

Counterpoint: a lifetime of experiences that 100% contradict you

TinyEvel 11-01-2018 01:19 PM

Tough question without specification of what "best" is. But since you used prestige in your OP, I might look at it like this:

(sort of stereotypical)

Key consumption age = 21-27 years old.

Beer(especially light lagers like budweiser) is WAY down with these folks. Too many options, too many places to experiment. Segment is losing market share.
Craft beer (artisinals) is still strong in this set.

Wine: Still strong. Not just a girl drink these days. Wine subscriptions are growing big, letting people experiment.

Liquor: Seeing growth of brown liquors (whiskeys, bourbon, etc.) grown over past 5 years. Seen as a more adult drink where you can taste the alcohol (rather than mixing type liquors like vodka) With hipsters and sophisticated foodie growth, bourbons and whiskeys have followed with people really getting into the craft of drinks and the differences between brands, like craft beer.

Rum: tropical. Mixing drink. Party booze. Chick booze. Not enjoying a peak right now

Vodka: The old standby. Doesn't overwhelm glass so mixes with a lot of things. Sort of the staple of liquors. Probably the highest volume sales of any liquor type.

Tequila: Resurgence in recent years, especially as a sipping alcohol. some very good ones and Mescals (smoky flavor agave liquor) grew a lot in the past 5 years.

Port Wines: only if you are over 50

Kahlua: Only if you are under 18 or over 65.

Scnapps/wine coolers/fourloco/Smirnoff Ice and other flavored malt drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade: Only if you are 18-22 (college) sweet drinks that end up barfed onto someone's rug or the into the vegetable drawer in your frat house room fridge (true story)

Hard Apple Ciders: Grown a lot last five years. Not huge but within the category they got popular as a per alternative.