ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Trade deadline update....brief take from Coach Reid (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318575)

T-post Tom 11-01-2018 04:23 AM

Trade deadline update....brief take from Coach Reid

The general feeling in Kansas City post-deadline day is that the Chiefs tried all they could to make a deadline move happen, but the fit and value just weren’t there.

We referred you to the report from friend of the site Terez Paylor (Yahoo! Sports) this morning, who wrote this:

The Chiefs expressed interest in (Landon) Collins, but the Giants weren’t interested in trading him, Yahoo Sports has learned. Same goes for (Patrick) Peterson, who the Cardinals also weren’t open to trading. A source with knowledge of the club’s thinking also told Yahoo Sports that the Chiefs were not interested in (Janoris) Jenkins, an expensive, 30-year-old corner with uneven tape this season.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to yet, read Paylor’s full column for a glimpse into the Chiefs’ thinking. Paylor also goes through the several reasons the Chiefs didn’t trade for safety HaHa Clinton-Dix, who ultimately landed with Alex Smith in Washington. I provided my take on the Chiefs standing pat at the deadline here.

Still-Giants safety Landon Collins told SNY the Giants wanted a first or second-round pick for his services, plus an additional pick next year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Landon Collins (on <a href="https://twitter.com/TMKSESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TMKSESPN</a>) said the Giants “were asking a little bit too much for me, so (teams) just kind of backed off.” ... He heard the Giants wanted a first or second-round pick in 2019 plus a pick next year. <a href="https://t.co/aeQ1kbHesG">https://t.co/aeQ1kbHesG</a></p>&mdash; Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoSNY) <a href="https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status/1057380213598941185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The local Kansas City media asked Chiefs head coach Andy Reid for his take on the quiet deadline on Wednesday. In response, Reid told the media to ask general manager Brett Veach, who wasn’t made available for questions.

“I mean that’d probably be a good question for Brett (Veach),” Reid said. “I know where his mind is, there just wasn’t anything there that he felt he needed to move on. He felt comfortable with doing that. He’s not going to do something just to do it to appease.

“He’s going to do what’s best for the Chiefs and he’s really good about that. That’s just where he’s at.”

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ade-to-appease

Coochie liquor 11-01-2018 04:54 AM

I’m good with this. Woulda liked to get a difference maker, but none were to be had. **** it, we’re 7-1, and hopefully gonna get some injured players back soon!

Flying High D 11-01-2018 05:06 AM

Who wouldn’t want to come to KC to be on the same team as PMII? Soon all free agents will be paying to play on his team.

True fan

TambaBerry 11-01-2018 05:26 AM

Perfectly content with Ron Parker blowing coverages for touchdowns, got it

T-post Tom 11-01-2018 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13860776)

Can't argue with you on that. But the vibe from Terez Paylor and others was that the Chiefs were seriously interested in Collins and Peterson. Giants & Cards weren't taking offers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-flawe...030330793.html

The Chiefs expressed interest in Collins, but the Giants weren’t interested in trading him, Yahoo Sports has learned. Same goes for Peterson, who the Cardinals also weren’t open to trading. A source with knowledge of the club’s thinking also told Yahoo Sports that the Chiefs were not interested in Jenkins, an expensive, 30-year-old corner with uneven tape this season.

TambaBerry 11-01-2018 05:34 AM

i read that they wanted a 2nd for collins and we only wanted to give a 3rd.

Iconic 11-01-2018 06:11 AM

Just makes me like Veach more. He's aggressive, he wants to look for improvements, but not at the expense of the future of this team. Plus he's not about to make decisions out of desperation. Dude's calculated.

Think we have a gem of a GM.

T-post Tom 11-01-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13860780)
i read that they wanted a 2nd for collins and we only wanted to give a 3rd.

Maybe a little more than that?

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-g...ine-124043394/

According to sources close to Ralph Vacchiano of SNY, multiple NFL teams offered the Giants trades for Collins prior to the deadline, including the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. According to Vacchiano's source, the Giants set the baseline for a deal: at least a 2019 second-round NFL Draft pick and a 2020 lower-round draft pick. According to the same source, no team offered the Giants more than a third-round draft pick.

I'm not sure I would have given a 2nd and more considering he's up for FA next year. He'll break the bank and we already have the highest paid NFL safety sitting on the bench.

MahiMike 11-01-2018 06:26 AM

I'm calling b******* on the fact that Andy said he leaves it all to veach. I'm sure he has some input into this.

Dartgod 11-01-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13860808)
I'm calling b******* on the fact that Andy said he leaves it all to veach. I'm sure he has some input into this.

Why? I'm sure that Veach probably talks to Andy about decisions like this, but ultimately it is Veach's call.

tmax63 11-01-2018 07:14 AM

I think Andy Reid likes staying out of the personnel side when he has someone he trusts doing it. And I think he trusts BV since he pretty much hand-picked him.

Buckweath 11-01-2018 07:19 AM

I was in the camp of trading a low pick for a good player nearing the end of his prime. Something like the Rams who traded a 5th for Talib this offseason.

I am Ok with standing pat.

WhawhaWhat 11-01-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

If you want them to re-sign guys like Chris Jones, Tyreek Hill, Dee Ford, etc., then they are going to need to those draft picks on rookie contracts.

wazu 11-01-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

If he's not content with that he has healthy, better safeties already on the team he can play.

tyreekthefreak 11-01-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 13860844)
If you want them to re-sign guys like Chris Jones, Tyreek Hill, Dee Ford, etc., then they are going to need to those draft picks on rookie contracts.

EXACTLY!!!!

2bikemike 11-01-2018 07:59 AM

It sounds like Veach has the big picture mentality. A lot of us fans are sick and tired of watching the franchise reach for that golden ring only to fall off the ladder. So we bitch, moan and cry about making moves. There is a reason we are doing the jobs we are doing and Veach is doing the job he is doing!

htismaqe 11-01-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 13860844)

This idea that they won't be able to re-sign anybody is a myth.

They could have done both. They didn't. Time to move on.

WhawhaWhat 11-01-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860881)

Just a myth.. well I'm glad we solved that problem.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 08:17 AM

I really like Landon Collins but he is not the missing piece to winning games. They're doing that with scrub safeties and with Sorenson and possibly Berry coming back we already have the talent injection for the playoffs.

The Giants are gigantic idiots, by the way. They now get nothing and Collins will leave anyway.

BigRedChief 11-01-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13860830)
Why? I'm sure that Veach probably talks to Andy about decisions like this, but ultimately it is Veach's call.

Besides Bellicheck, none of these GM/Head Football Coach’s have worked out or produced a Super Bowl. It should remain Veach’s call.

Sannyasi 11-01-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860881)

We know you are a salary cap truther but the reality is teams let guys go for cap reasons all the time.

loochy 11-01-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13860900)
I really like Landon Collins but he is not the missing piece to winning games. They're doing that with scrub safeties and with Sorenson and possibly Berry coming back we already have the talent injection for the playoffs.

The Giants are gigantic idiots, by the way. They now get nothing and Collins will leave anyway.

You know what? Better safety play may have won that New England game...
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief 11-01-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13860904)
You know what? Better safety play may have won that New England game...
Posted via Mobile Device

Thomas doesn’t break his leg, he’d probably be in a Chiefs uniform now.

Hoover 11-01-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13860900)

Actually I bet they tag him and keep him around.

I think the problem with the Chiefs getting Landon was that he's good and young. At 24 he's a dude a rebuilding team can build around. I also don't think the Giants need a total rebuild, they just need a quarterback. I really think a QB fixes 70% of what's wrong with that team.

MahiMike 11-01-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13860830)

Of course. But when Andy tries to tell us he leaves it all to veach? With no input? I don't think so.

oldman 11-01-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13860905)
Thomas doesn’t break his leg, he’d probably be in a Chiefs uniform now.

True. And to say that Veach didn't address the safety position during the off season is not true. He drafted Watts and O'Daniel and traded for Lucas. Plus he was counting on Berry and didn't know Sorensen would be injured.

Kiimo 11-01-2018 08:37 AM

And in the great scheme of things the loss at NE doesn't really matter. You have to win games at the end of the season, you control your own destiny.

loochy 11-01-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13860929)
And in the great scheme of things the loss at NE doesn't really matter. You have to win games at the end of the season, you control your own destiny.

What? It matters a lot. That's a potential homefield throughout tiebreaker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiimo 11-01-2018 08:40 AM

Right now we control our own destiny. It doesn't matter until the Chiefs lose more games.

BigRedChief 11-01-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13860909)
Of course. But when Andy tries to tell us he leaves it all to veach? With no input? I don't think so.

I’m sure Andy has input. The real kind.
It was Veach who screamed to anyone in the Chiefs organization that they had to move up and get Mahomes. Reid has spoken publicly about the number of times Veach was in his face that Mahomes was the man. Corner him and make him come and watch new tape on Mahomes. Moved Reid’s meetings to allow him to talk Mahomes to Reid.

Seems to me that Reid is going to trust his judgement after that experience.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 13860903)
We know you are a salary cap truther but the reality is teams let guys go for cap reasons all the time.

Of course they do, I never said they didn't.

There's an almost panic here about losing like SIX players.

Signing Landon Collins wasn't going to prevent them from signing Tyreek Hill because NOTHING is going to prevent that. He's a generational talent.

In fact, signing Landon Collins would have forced something with Eric Berry, who is currently doing nothing but ruining the cap situation.

wazu 11-01-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13860943)
I’m sure Andy has input. The real kind.
It was Veach who screamed to anyone in the Chiefs organization that they had to move up and get Mahomes. Reid has spoken publicly about the number of times Veach was in his face that Mahomes was the man. Corner him and make him come and watch new tape on Mahomes. Moved Reid’s meetings to allow him to talk Mahomes to Reid.

Seems to me that Reid is going to trust his judgement after that experience.

Also seems like Veach is pretty good at selling his ideas across the organization. That was a pretty crazy trade to move up that far for Mahomes when the team already had Alex. You don’t do that without everyone on board.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13860927)
True. And to say that Veach didn't address the safety position during the off season is not true. He drafted Watts and O'Daniel and traded for Lucas. Plus he was counting on Berry and didn't know Sorensen would be injured.

Watts was a 4th round pick. He wasn't ever part of the solution. He was going to play special teams and spot duty at safety.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13860929)

Yep, and that's exactly what many of us are concerned with.

Sassy Squatch 11-01-2018 08:52 AM

Chiefs saw these guys as rentals, not part of the long term solution. All there is to it.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13860959)
Chiefs saw these guys as rentals, not part of the long term solution. All there is to it.

There's a bit more to it than that. They might have seen them as part of the long-term solution but found that such a scenario was more expensive than they wanted. And the draft picks were too much for anything less.

Either way, it wasn't in the cards. They didn't do anything and it's time to move on.

dannybcaitlyn 11-01-2018 09:01 AM

Let’s revisit this thread when we get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round and give up a twenty point lead because Ron Parker is too slow to help over the top and does little for run support. A 2nd for Collins wouldn’t look so bad then. Also lose another year off of Mahomes rookie contract.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 13860975)
Let’s revisit this thread when we get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round and give up a twenty point lead because Ron Parker is too slow to help over the top and does little for run support. A 2nd for Collins wouldn’t look so bad then. Also lose another year off of Mahomes rookie contract.

A lot of us fear that but what are we honestly to do at this point? Wring our hands for the rest of the season? The season is still going to be fun because Mahomes.

They didn't do anything. Nothing we can do about it.

TEX 11-01-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

I'd have no problem with the 2nd, its the additional pick in the following draft that I'd have an issue with.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 13860990)
I'd have no problem with the 2nd, its the additional pick in the following draft that I'd have an issue with.

The real issue is that we didn't move for any of these guys because of Eric Berry. He needs to get his behind on the field.

dannybcaitlyn 11-01-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860984)
A lot of us fear that but what are we honestly to do at this point? Wring our hands for the rest of the season? The season is still going to be fun because Mahomes.

Yup, your right. Nothing we can do now. I understand we’re winning right now but once playoffs start all the teams pick it up a notch it seems. Our shakey secondary worries me. The season has been a blast to watch with Mahomes and I hope he can get us over the hump.

oldman 11-01-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860952)
Watts was a 4th round pick. He wasn't ever part of the solution. He was going to play special teams and spot duty at safety.

Were you in the room with Brett and Andy? DRob was a 4th and Hill (maybe because of his antics) was a 5th. I'm not saying that all 4ths work out. We all know 1s and 2s aren't always winners, either.

TEX 11-01-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860984)

Yep. Also, didn't think Mahomes would be this good this early, so that was a steering factor last off season.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13860995)
Were you in the room with Brett and Andy? DRob was a 4th and Hill (maybe because of his antics) was a 5th. I'm not saying that all 4ths work out. We all know 1s and 2s aren't always winners, either.

I don't have to be in the room with them.

He was a 4th round pick. How often are 4th round picks taken to be day 1 starters?

Furthermore, he wasn't a day 1 starter so that pretty much proves my point.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 13860996)
Yep. Also, didn't think Mahomes would be this good this early, so that was a steering factor last off season.

IMO, it should have been a steering factor now too but it wasn't.

The whole team is ahead of schedule, except for the defense. But it is what it is.

The Franchise 11-01-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13860959)

And you have nothing to back this up with.

Sassy Squatch 11-01-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860992)
The real issue is that we didn't move for any of these guys because of Eric Berry. He needs to get his behind on the field.

He's absolutely ****ing us in 2 ways. His backup is playing some of the worst football at the S position I've seen since Kendrick Lewis, and his contract made it ridiculously hard to do anything on the trade market outside of a half season rental.

Sassy Squatch 11-01-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13861007)

But the Chiefs held firm, and while it may still come back to bite them in a few months, it wasn’t for a lack of effort. The Chiefs expressed interest in Collins, but the Giants weren’t interested in trading him, Yahoo Sports has learned. Same goes for Peterson, who the Cardinals also weren’t open to trading. A source with knowledge of the club’s thinking also told Yahoo Sports that the Chiefs were not interested in Jenkins, an expensive, 30-year-old corner with uneven tape this season.

The club also monitored the availability of Clinton-Dix, a smooth 25-year-old safety who is set to be a free agent in May, but decided internally it wouldn’t surrender the third-round pick needed to secure his services from the Green Bay Packers. (Washington wound up trading a fourth for him). There were several reasons for that.

For one, Clinton-Dix would have been a tight fit under the cap this year, and the Chiefs — who will need to pay young building blocks like Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones in the near future — knew he’d be hard to re-sign. Especially when you consider the amount of salary and equity they’ve already invested in the safety position, with Eric Berry and Daniel Sorensen combining to take up $18.3 million in cap space, and the fact they just invested a 2018 fourth-rounder in Armani Watts and a 2020 seventh for Jordan Lucas.

Add all that together, and they just couldn’t justify using a premium, top-100 asset on a rental player they liked but didn’t necessarily see as a game-changer.

Rental player.

Rental player.

Rental player.

oldman 11-01-2018 09:21 AM

Just a question. If Berry would retire, what effect would that have on the cap? His newest problem is not really a football injury. The team negotiated in good faith for his services and he couldn't provide them due to a physical problem.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13861015)
But the Chiefs held firm, and while it may still come back to bite them in a few months, it wasn’t for a lack of effort. The Chiefs expressed interest in Collins, but the Giants weren’t interested in trading him, Yahoo Sports has learned. Same goes for Peterson, who the Cardinals also weren’t open to trading. A source with knowledge of the club’s thinking also told Yahoo Sports that the Chiefs were not interested in Jenkins, an expensive, 30-year-old corner with uneven tape this season.

The club also monitored the availability of Clinton-Dix, a smooth 25-year-old safety who is set to be a free agent in May, but decided internally it wouldn’t surrender the third-round pick needed to secure his services from the Green Bay Packers. (Washington wound up trading a fourth for him). There were several reasons for that.

For one, Clinton-Dix would have been a tight fit under the cap this year, and the Chiefs — who will need to pay young building blocks like Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones in the near future — knew he’d be hard to re-sign. Especially when you consider the amount of salary and equity they’ve already invested in the safety position, with Eric Berry and Daniel Sorensen combining to take up $18.3 million in cap space, and the fact they just invested a 2018 fourth-rounder in Armani Watts and a 2020 seventh for Jordan Lucas.

Add all that together, and they just couldn’t justify using a premium, top-100 asset on a rental player they liked but didn’t necessarily see as a game-changer.

To be fair, that doesn't say they viewed them as rental players. It said they would HAVE to be rental players because the Chiefs are stuck with Sorenson and Berry.

Maybe it's splitting hairs but to me, those are 2 different things.

tmax63 11-01-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13860999)
I don't have to be in the room with them.

He was a 4th round pick. How often are 4th round picks taken to be day 1 starters?

Furthermore, he wasn't a day 1 starter so that pretty much proves my point.

Watts wasn't picked to be a "day 1" starter. He was picked because they thought he had the talent and ability to become the starter in a year or 2. They didn't count on the fecal storm of injuries that have the Chiefs playing their #5,6,7 safeties now.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13861027)
Just a question. If Berry would retire, what effect would that have on the cap? His newest problem is not really a football injury. The team negotiated in good faith for his services and he couldn't provide them due to a physical problem.

Him retiring doesn't really help them. They could attempt to recover his pro-rated signing bonus but it doesn't really help the cap hit otherwise.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 13861033)
Watts wasn't picked to be a "day 1" starter. He was picked because they thought he had the talent and ability to become the starter in a year or 2. They didn't count on the fecal storm of injuries that have the Chiefs playing their #5,6,7 safeties now.

No team takes a 4th round pick EXPECTING them to ever become a starter.

He was taken to play special teams and HOPE that he could become a starter in the future.

Sassy Squatch 11-01-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13861031)
To be fair, that doesn't say they viewed them as rental players. It said they would HAVE to be rental players because the Chiefs are stuck with Sorenson and Berry.

Maybe it's splitting hairs but to me, those are 2 different things.

Stating the obvious there. Pretty sure they'd like a player like Collins long term but with our money issues he's relegated to nice rental for us.

tmax63 11-01-2018 09:35 AM

There's a shitload of OL that beg to differ. In my world the HOPE level doesn't start until the 6th and 7th rounds. The 5th is the good special teamer/rotational/pushing for playing type of guys.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13861055)
Stating the obvious there. Pretty sure they'd like a player like Collins long term but with our money issues he's relegated to nice rental for us.

Absolutely it's obvious.

But I also think it's an important, and fair, distinction to make, especially when evaluating Brett Veach.

The Chiefs didn't WANT to view them as rentals, they HAD to view them as rentals, primarily because of a couple of contracts that Brett Veach had nothing to do with.

chiefzilla1501 11-01-2018 09:52 AM

Door #1 - trade a second rounder and spend $15m per year starting next year on a surefire all pro safety

Door #2 - take a low risk gamble on a safety in the draft. Use the $15m savings to bring in a surefire D starter... Maybe multiple.

Apart from losing a 2018 win now rental, I'll definitely choose door #2. We can't surrender high picks given all our needs.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13861102)
Door #1 - trade a second rounder and spend $15m per year starting next year on a surefire all pro safety

Door #2 - take a low risk gamble on a safety in the draft. Use the $15m savings to bring in a surefire D starter... Maybe multiple.

Apart from losing a 2018 win now rental, I'll definitely choose door #2. We can't surrender high picks given all our needs.

Never a guarantee. You can't say that.

chiefzilla1501 11-01-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13861110)
Never a guarantee. You can't say that.

Neither would Landon Collins be. I don't think we have to spend that. Just saying at that price tag, it shouldn't be hard to find someone who can contribute.

htismaqe 11-01-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13861131)
Neither would Landon Collins be. I don't think we have to spend that. Just saying at that price tag, it shouldn't be hard to find someone who can contribute.

Nothing is a guarantee.

Well except the fact that they're 7-1 and have the inside track on HFA. But that's now water under the bridge. Hopefully January doesn't end in disappointment. AGAIN.

Flying High D 11-01-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Andy be busy with menus, meal planning, buffets, and ordering catered meals, important stuff like that.

Flying High D 11-01-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13861007)

Back that ass up.

jjchieffan 11-01-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Or.....we can revisit this thread in February when the Chiefs are hoisting up the Lombardi they won because our rookies had developed, Berry had returned to the field and to form, and nobody could stop our offense. Who knows which scenario plays out. But if we do win the Superbowl without Collins, then I think that most of us will be glad to be going into the draft with that second.