ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Big Bang Theory is done after 2019 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316992)

Buehler445 08-25-2018 02:58 PM

Big Bang Theory is done after 2019

I'm not a huge Big Bang Theory Fan (however, the same cannot be said for the cans of Kaley Cuoco's cans - Big, big fan), but one can't dismiss the effect of the show. I'm not sure it's as big as Seinfeld but it's close.

Pretty big deal, IMO.

Apparently Parsons wanted to move on.

https://screenrant.com/big-bang-theo...sons-response/

NJChiefsFan 08-25-2018 07:02 PM

I was fairly young when Seinfeld started. Watched it towards the end, and like everyone, have seen all the reruns and quote them. Even if we don't compare the iconic quotes, because IMO that's a runaway for Seinfeld, do you really think Big Bang Theory is that close? Are you talking more popularity or impact on the business?

Baby Lee 08-25-2018 07:06 PM

It's comfort food. If you like it it, you're not gonna get tired of it. But you're not super excited about it either.

Jewish Rabbi 08-25-2018 07:56 PM

Man, I’m not even really a Seinfeld fan but how can you compare Seinfeld to this piece of shit show?

Baby Lee 08-25-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 13693091)
Man, I’m not even really a Seinfeld fan but how can you compare Seinfeld to this piece of shit show?

Longevity, and relative popularity.

That's about it.

Seinfeld was the opposite of everything traditional in sitcoms.
Whether you love or hate it, BBT is the refinement and culmination of the traditional sitcom format.

Buehler445 08-25-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13693139)
Longevity, and relative popularity.

That's about it.

Seinfeld was the opposite of everything traditional in sitcoms.
Whether you love or hate it, BBT is the refinement and culmination of the traditional sitcom format.

Yeah, that's it. The viewership for this show is un-****ing-real. I think I heard on a podcast or something that the re-runs of the show netted warner brothers a BILLION dollars last year.

Love it or hate it this is the most successful sitcom of our time. Pretty much on the same level as Seinfeld and Friends.

I mean times are way different now, and even with all the other options, to net that kind of pull is pretty amazing. Even if I checked out on it years ago.

Fish 08-25-2018 11:02 PM

It was pretty good when it started. But they ran out of nerdy stuff to joke about, and the later seasons were pretty forgettable...

kjwood75nro 08-25-2018 11:52 PM

May as well. The characters have all become so unlikable compared to early seasons, and their personalities have either done full 180s or become Flanderized.

mr. tegu 08-26-2018 07:55 AM

It has definitely impacted the expansion and rise in popularity of “nerd culture” especially when it comes to comic related interests.

displacedinMN 08-26-2018 08:06 AM

I loved Seinfeld. Knew it would be a hit from the first time it was on TV.

BBT is a good and ingenious show. Nerds in the real world. That are smarter than CP combined.

The story line would have to evolve as the kids get older. Kids would be super smart, or normal or interested in sports. Sheldon's kid interested in Geology.

Parsons is 43. He is playing a 35 year old playing a kid like person.

And yeah-Cuoco.

sully1983 08-26-2018 10:21 AM

never seen a single episode before.

kcxiv 08-26-2018 10:41 AM

They made alot of money!! The residuals the actors get for this show have to be ****ing insane.

The Franchise 08-26-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13693286)
It was pretty good when it started. But they ran out of nerdy stuff to joke about, and the later seasons were pretty forgettable...

This.

Buehler445 08-26-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13693435)
I loved Seinfeld. Knew it would be a hit from the first time it was on TV.

BBT is a good and ingenious show. Nerds in the real world. That are smarter than CP combined.

The story line would have to evolve as the kids get older. Kids would be super smart, or normal or interested in sports. Sheldon's kid interested in Geology.

Parsons is 43. He is playing a 35 year old playing a kid like person.

And yeah-Cuoco.

Mellissa Rausch is nothing to sneeze at either. Every time it’s on, I tell my wife, “Hey Wife, Bernadette has huge tits.”

I have no idea why my wife stays with me.

Mosbonian 08-26-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 13693091)

Interesting.....honestly I think Seinfeld was overrated and not enjoyable for me. I find BBT more entertaining.

It's all in your view of things.

alpha_omega 08-26-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13693597)
never seen a single episode before.

Same here. I’ve heard it was good, just never interested for whatever reason.

Dayze 08-26-2018 07:30 PM

Melissa Raush is smokin.

Mother****erJones 08-26-2018 07:59 PM

I just started recording these on tv. I really love it early on, then like most things it sours after so long.

Baby Lee 08-26-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13694467)
Melissa Raush is smokin.

Back in the days of Best Week Ever and I Love the [XYZ], I couldn't decide if she or Rachel Harris was hotter.

scho63 08-27-2018 07:00 AM

Seinfeld, Cheers and M•A•S•H are in a league of their own. All unique and no equals IMHO.

Big Bang Theory is a great show and pretty much nails the nerd/tech/social awkward cliques. I think they have run the full spectrum of storylines and the time is right.

Young Sheldon is also an excellent show with some great acting. Annie Potts does an incredible job as the free spirit young grandmother.

Frazod 08-27-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13694779)
Seinfeld, Cheers and M•A•S•H are in a league of their own. All unique and no equals IMHO.

Big Bang Theory is a great show and pretty much nails the nerd/tech/social awkward cliques. I think they have run the full spectrum of storylines and the time is right.

Young Sheldon is also an excellent show with some great acting. Annie Potts does an incredible job as the free spirit young grandmother.

Seinfeld certainly had its share of funny moments, but I hated the characters. They were all narcissistic, unlikable pricks. Oh, and **** New York. I rarely watched it when it was on and never watch the reruns.

Cheers was great, but Frasier was better.

As for MASH, the first three seasons were probably the best comedy ever. But as the original cast started to drop off, it got worse and worse, and by the end was pretty much unwatchable. I generally won't watch any episodes after season four.

Loved Night Court and WKRP, neither of which ever got old or stale.

I think the two most consistently funny characters ever are Niles Crane from Frasier and Dan Fielding from Night Court.

Dayze 08-27-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13694837)
Seinfeld certainly had its share of funny moments, but I hated the characters. They were all narcissistic, unlikable pricks. Oh, and **** New York. I rarely watched it when it was on and never watch the reruns.

As for MASH, the first three seasons were probably the best comedy ever. But as the original cast started to drop off, it got worse and worse, and by the end was pretty much unwatchable. I generally won't watch any episodes after season four.

I think the two most consistently funny characters ever are Niles Crane from Frasier and Dan Fielding from Night Court.

yep

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN 08-27-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Barney Miller and Taxi were 2 more sitcoms that will live forever in my mind.

Al Bundy 08-27-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

I think you're missing a sit com on your "great" list.

BigBeauford 08-27-2018 11:54 AM

The Nickleback of television shows.

Frazod 08-27-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13695112)

And what would that be?

EDIT - it too me WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long to figure it out. :banghead:

Pablo 08-27-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 13695114)
The Nickleback of television shows.

LMAO

So very true.

Buehler445 08-27-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 13695246)
LMAO

So very true.

Isn’t that the basic tenant of sitcom?

I cant think of a single network TV show that isn’t the TV equivalent of Nickleback.

Baby Lee 08-27-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13695334)
Isn’t that the basic tenant of sitcom?

I cant think of a single network TV show that isn’t the TV equivalent of Nickleback.

30 Rock? Arrested Development?

I would agree, the typical 3 camera, 1 or 2 set, laugh track sitcom is all some form of comfort food. Meatloaf, green bean casserole, Nickleback. But there are some that make network that are subversive or innovative.

Al Bundy 08-27-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13695205)
And what would that be?

EDIT - it too me WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long to figure it out. :banghead:

:clap:

Valiant 08-28-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13694467)
Melissa Raush is smokin.

You should see her movie. Bronze I believe. Has a sex scene. Full nudity.

Sadly a body double.

Fish 08-28-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13696971)

Sadly a body double.

****er... got me all excited then you add that disclaimer 10 spaces later? :cuss:

Dayze 08-28-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13696971)

Sadly a body double.

...you son of a....

JD10367 08-29-2018 07:52 PM

All shows run their course. All shows start out as something new and fresh and eventually get stale and repetitive. Sitcoms have the same problem that movie sequels do.

Every show mentioned here so far started out great and eventually degenerated into "doing the same thing over and over to keep their fans happy". No sitcom I can think of has ever had characters who really evolve or change greatly. That's not why they're in business.

BBT has its fans and you can't deny its lifetime achievement. On the other hand, Vinny Testaverde played a lot of years in the NFL; doesn't mean he's one of the best QBs ever.

NJChiefsFan 08-30-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13695379)

I would agree, the typical 3 camera, 1 or 2 set, laugh track sitcom is all some form of comfort food. Meatloaf, green bean casserole, Nickleback. But there are some that make network that are subversive or innovative.

Great examples.

rabblerouser 08-30-2018 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13693015)
It's comfort food. If you like it it, you're not gonna get tired of it. But you're not super excited about it either.

I watched it until Bernadette and Creepy got married, then when they all became millionaires it jumped the shark and I haven't seen more than pieces of episodes in passing in at least a couple years.

Do love Kaley Cuoco's boobs. And the chick who played Bernadette is hot, too.

Would both.

rabblerouser 08-30-2018 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13695379)

3 words :

Parks and Recreation

One of the best shows EVER.

rabblerouser 08-30-2018 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13699060)
All shows run their course. All shows start out as something new and fresh and eventually get stale and repetitive. Sitcoms have the same problem that movie sequels do.

Every show mentioned here so far started out great and eventually degenerated into "doing the same thing over and over to keep their fans happy". No sitcom I can think of has ever had characters who really evolve or change greatly. That's not why they're in business.

BBT has its fans and you can't deny its lifetime achievement. On the other hand, Vinny Testaverde played a lot of years in the NFL; doesn't mean he's one of the best QBs ever.

didn't he take the Jets to the AFC Championship Game like 2 or 3 years after they went 1-15??

I think they lost to Neil Smith and John Elway's Broncos...

scho63 08-30-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN (Post 13695076)
Barney Miller and Taxi were 2 more sitcoms that will live forever in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13695112)

I love Fraiser as well but I think Cheers still outranks Fraiser, which was a little more one dimensional IMHO.

Night Court was FANTASTIC as well, better than Fraiser with a great cast especially Markie Post and her banging body! Dan Fielding couldn't survive today's PC culture.

Taxi a very unique show an hugely funny with even a little darkness. I never could get into Barney Miller but I saw some of the humor in it.

Yeah, Married With Children was fantastic!

I also LOVED one of the most unique comedies of all time: Soap

It was WAY ahead of it's time and launched so many careers! My Mom got hooked on it once she saw me watching it.

NJChiefsFan 08-30-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 13699268)
3 words :

Parks and Recreation

Yes. Fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13699377)
I love Fraiser as well but I think Cheers still outranks Fraiser, which was a little more one dimensional IMHO.

I personally like Cheers more as well. I also like that Frasier more. While I love quick, high-brow wit, Frasier having to deal with all the fools at the bar gave me bigger laughs.

DaFace 08-30-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13693015)

That's a pretty apt comparison. I like the show and have seen every episode, but you won't see me arguing that it's one of the best shows ever. The Office and Parks and Rec are both far superior in my opinion.

Buehler445 08-30-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13699594)
That's a pretty apt comparison. I like the show and have seen every episode, but you won't see me arguing that it's one of the best shows ever. The Office and Parks and Rec are both far superior in my opinion.

So we're clear, I'm not arguing it's the best show ever. I'm just saying the viewership, especially in today's environment is/was enormous. Accordingly, it is fairly newsworthy.

I haven't seen any episodes since Howard and Bernadette (who was huge tits) got married.

DaFace 08-30-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13699625)
So we're clear, I'm not arguing it's the best show ever. I'm just saying the viewership, especially in today's environment is/was enormous. Accordingly, it is fairly newsworthy.

I haven't seen any episodes since Howard and Bernadette (who was huge tits) got married.

As others have said, it's been pretty forgettable lately. Not bad, just nothing special.

And yeah, certainly it's had a huge impact in terms of viewership and money, regardless of what you think of the quality of the show itself.

The Franchise 08-30-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13699638)
As others have said, it's been pretty forgettable lately. Not bad, just nothing special.

And yeah, certainly it's had a huge impact in terms of viewership and money, regardless of what you think of the quality of the show itself.

I find myself watching the latest episodes just because. I'll watch them because it's DVR'd and there isn't anything else on. It's not like Game of Thrones where I'm excited to sit down and watch it.

WhiteWhale 08-30-2018 11:52 AM

Ugh. Sitcoms.

Pretty sure that's the lowest form of comedy aside form late night talk shows. There are 3 types of sitcoms. ALL sitcoms fall under these three formulas.

1. The 'friends in an apartment' format. I think this was pioneered by Seinfeld. BBT is Seinfeld with nerds. Or Friends with nerds. I'll wager that was the EXACT pitch.

2. The family sitcom. No point in naming anything specific, we all know this one going back 40 years.

3. The workplace sitcom - Probably my favorite kind simply because there's some variation and they're not just slightly altered versions of the same thing (like friends/seinfeld/BBT)

They all constantly spamming laugh tracks after non-jokes. It was far more tolerable when they used actual studio audiences.

Anyway, never watched BBT. Obviously a lot of people did.

ToxSocks 08-30-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 13699811)
Ugh. Sitcoms.

Pretty sure that's the lowest form of comedy aside form late night talk shows. There are 3 types of sitcoms. ALL sitcoms fall under these three formulas.

1. The 'friends in an apartment' format. I think this was pioneered by Seinfeld.

2. The family sitcom. No point in naming anything specific, we all know this one going back 40 years.

3. The workplace sitcom

All constantly spamming laugh tracks after non-jokes.

I don't get it. The only sitcom I remember liking that had a laugh track was Married With Children, and it was essentially a parody of family sitcoms.

Everything Ed O'Neill touches is gold. Modern Family is hilarious. My 2nd favorite after Married with children.

scho63 08-30-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13699817)
Everything Ed O'Neill touches is gold. Modern Family is hilarious. My 2nd favorite after Married with children.

Have you ever seen the movie Dutch? It was fantastic. Really funny and a good story. :clap:

He was also great as Popeye Doyle in the TV show version of the French Connection.

Dayze 08-30-2018 02:24 PM

he was great in Dutch.

great as a small character in Wayne's World.

Sorce 08-30-2018 02:54 PM

Thank God. This show is awful.

Baby Lee 08-30-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 13700196)

Thing with comfort food and network $$, anyone who thinks Chuck Lorre isn't going to have a 1/2 dozen more sitcoms just like it coming down the chute haven't been paying attention.

Grace Under Fire
Cybill
Dharma and Greg
2 1/2 Men
Mike and Molly
BBT
Mom
Young Sheldon
etc, etc.

Frazod 08-30-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13700012)
Have you ever seen the movie Dutch? It was fantastic. Really funny and a good story. :clap:

I loved the line about hitting the guy so hard that his dog would bleed. :D

sedated 08-30-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 13700196)

Does your TV not come with a remote control?

Pepe Silvia 08-30-2018 03:23 PM

Nothing burps like bacon.

displacedinMN 08-30-2018 05:06 PM

Someone mentioned SOAP. The craziest sitcom ever. Cancelled before it could wrap up story lines. Shame.

Pepe Silvia 08-31-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13699817)

This was my favorite show in grade school but for some reason it didn't age well when you watch reruns now.

Zebedee DuBois 09-01-2018 09:45 AM

Do you think Parsons will thrive outside of BBT? I've not seen much range of acting from him (but I really haven't seen much of his other work) . He seems a niche player.

Mosbonian 09-01-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

I hate Seinfeld......and part of it may be because everyone talks about it like it is the greatest show ever. I found little to no humor for the most part, and like you found the characters unappealing...especially Jason Alexander's character.

Cheers....Night Court...WKRP. Loved all 3 of those shows, especially WKRP. Besides some of the good music you would hear occasionally played, the characters all were funny. I always thought Bailey was hot.....yeah Jennifer was the 'it" girl on the show, but for some reason Bailey was my pick

I agree with what someone else said about the Dan Fielding character....these days it would start a social media riot.

I enjoy BBT.....and most people would probably roll their eyes over it. But then again I also enjoy Last Man Standing, which I am glad is coming back.

Mosbonian 09-01-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 13699268)
3 words :

Parks and Recreation

Wow....I could never get into that show. People criticize the characters in BBT saying they are unrealistic....I would say that for Parks and Recreation. And 30 Rock.

Mosbonian 09-01-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13700012)

He was also great as Popeye Doyle in the TV show version of the French Connection.

I love the movie Dutch....I make it one of my "always watch at Christmas" movies.

Mosbonian 09-01-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13700211)
Thing with comfort food and network $$, anyone who thinks Chuck Lorre isn't going to have a 1/2 dozen more sitcoms just like it coming down the chute haven't been paying attention.

Grace Under Fire
Cybill
Dharma and Greg
2 1/2 Men
Mike and Molly
BBT
Mom
Young Sheldon
etc, etc.

Grace Under Fire & Dharma and Greg were good the first season and then just circled the bowl the 2nd.

Cybill, Mom & Mike and Molly from my point of view were never watchable.

2 1/2 Men was good for about the first 4 years....and to me went south after the whole Alan and Melissa thing.

I don't see Young Sheldon lasting that long....it will be interesting to see how it does when BBT leaves the air.

displacedinMN 09-01-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 13703243)
Do you think Parsons will thrive outside of BBT? I've not seen much range of acting from him (but I really haven't seen much of his other work) . He seems a niche player.

He really played the same Kind of person in the show judging Amy. Geeky very straitlaced.

Frazod 09-01-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13703272)
Grace Under Fire & Dharma and Greg were good the first season and then just circled the bowl the 2nd.

Cybill, Mom & Mike and Molly from my point of view were never watchable.

2 1/2 Men was good for about the first 4 years....and to me went south after the whole Alan and Melissa thing.

I don't see Young Sheldon lasting that long....it will be interesting to see how it does when BBT leaves the air.

Let's not forget how awful Two Broke Girls was. Absolutely terrible. And I could pretty much stare at Kat Dennings for half an hour without complaint and I still couldn't watch it.

OldSchool 09-01-2018 01:27 PM

Good. That show sucked ass anyways.

Mosbonian 09-01-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13703619)
Let's not forget how awful Two Broke Girls was. Absolutely terrible. And I could pretty much stare at Kat Dennings for half an hour without complaint and I still couldn't watch it.

True...a big time waste of 30 minutes. But Kat Dennings is worth looking at.

Frazod 09-01-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 13704258)
True...a big time waste of 30 minutes. But Kat Dennings is worth looking at.

Maybe I should have tried muting the volume. That would have helped.

It seemed like the entire show was her making some deadpan, horribly timed wisecrack, then standing there with a blank look on her face as the forced laughter chimed in.

She's such a bad actress that she makes Kristen Stewart look like Katharine Hepburn.

Great rack, though. Perhaps if they had been strippers instead of waitresses the show would have been watchable.

Stewie 09-24-2018 02:46 PM

Big Bang is a complete ripoff of 3rd Rock from the Sun. Lead character is a physicist that is completely out of their realm socially. Pretty girl and other characters that are socially inept. Big Bang even stole specific 3rd Rock episodes. Will Forte and the other writers should get paid by Chuck Lorre for doing all his work.

Rain Man 09-24-2018 03:11 PM

Big Bang Theory ended as soon as the characters started getting married and having babies. The quickest way to chase me away from a show is to add a baby or child to it.

Rain Man 09-24-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 13759416)
Big Bang is a complete ripoff of 3rd Rock from the Sun. Lead character is a physicist that is completely out of their realm socially. Pretty girl and other characters that are socially inept. Big Bang even stole specific 3rd Rock episodes. Will Forte and the other writers should get paid by Chuck Lorre for doing all his work.

I haven't seen that show in ages. I should check it out again to see if it's as funny now as it was then.

Buehler445 09-24-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 13759416)

3rd rock from the sun was kind of about aliens dude.

RealSNR 09-24-2018 09:21 PM

YOUNG SHELDON

GOD FRIENDED ME

MarkDavis'Haircut 10-08-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Same. Never got into Seinfield.

Early Cheers might be the best sitcom ever. However, once Coach died and Diane left, the replacements weren't as good. Woody and Rebecca paled in comparison. Frasier was more consistent and Kelsey Grammar is a tour de force.

Yup, MASH peaked at its third season and steadily declined afterwards. Winchester was a great character and the only character worth watching after Season Eight. The show became Alda's soapbox. And MASH screwed up the writing with Frank and Radar turning both characters into one dimensional cutouts. BJ was just dull. And Klinger lacked the depth to be more than a gag character.