ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Bengals release S Iloka - KC Interest? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316874)

Cosmos 08-19-2018 12:43 PM

Bengals release S Iloka - KC Interest?

With the state of the KC defensive backfield, I wonder if they should be interested bringing him in. Former Bengals starter.

Read where Arrion Springs is now working with the safety’s group not the CB’s.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...y-george-iloka

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15085/george-iloka

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 12:50 PM

I’d give him a 2-year deal, MAYBE 3 and ensure a low cap hit for this season. But we’re also going to open up some space with roster cuts coming up. Guys like West are worth over a million in space.

RunKC 08-19-2018 12:53 PM

I feel like this is all about Eric Murray. If you sign this guy, you’re basically replacing him.

The Franchise 08-19-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13682341)
I feel like this is all about Eric Murray. If you sign this guy, you’re basically replacing him.

We need to. Murray sucks.

Chiefshrink 08-19-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Is that okay with you?

FlaChief58 08-19-2018 12:56 PM

Get his ass in here and don't let him leave.

O.city 08-19-2018 12:57 PM

Just increases the depth by pushing everyone down a spot

He’s good and I’d do 2 years but it may be a 1 year deal at this point

Chiefshrink 08-19-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13682343)

Agreed. Been more negative than positive play that's for sure.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-19-2018 12:59 PM

Does he kneel?

Does he punt balls into the stands?

Thanks in advance

O.city 08-19-2018 12:59 PM

I don’t think Murray sucks. He’s not great but he’s developing.

Cosmos 08-19-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13682337)
I’d give him a 2-year deal, MAYBE 3 and ensure a low cap hit for this season. But we’re also going to open up some space with roster cuts coming up. Guys like West are worth over a million in space.

Can Sorensen be cut while injured (settlement)?

staylor26 08-19-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13682343)

I disagree.

He clearly looks better and though he hasn’t made any splash plays, he hasn’t made any mistakes so far in the preseason. Hasn’t been out of position looking lost like he was last year. I think he turns out to be solid depth and a decent #3 S at worst.

Dante84 08-19-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13682337)

I mean, we should just cut those guys now if it would get a deal done.

I guess we want to wait to ensure there's no major injuries in Game #3 first, but hell.

Chiefshrink 08-19-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy tossed tigger's salad (Post 13682352)
Does he kneel?

Thanks in advance

ROFL

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 01:03 PM

According to PFF, Watts did have a great game Friday night. But I still wouldn’t settle on that, especially with Berry’s iffy heel.

Sassy Squatch 08-19-2018 01:04 PM

Get him in here right ****ing now.

staylor26 08-19-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13682366)
According to PFF, Watts did have a great game Friday night. But I still wouldn’t settle on that, especially with Berry’s iffy heel.

It was nice to see him flash that ability to take the ball away. With Peters gone, we could use a guy that can make those kind of plays.

Strongside 08-19-2018 01:06 PM

The march to 4K posts begins now.

carcosa 08-19-2018 01:13 PM

SING HIM CRAL

Bewbies 08-19-2018 01:14 PM

Let the young guys play. Especially Watts.

Chiefshrink 08-19-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13682379)

I like Springs as well.:hmmm:

Red Dawg 08-19-2018 01:17 PM

If he's better than what we have then go for it. That's the life of a pro. You always may be gone. We need all we can get. These guys got torched by Weeden and Ryan. Rivers will kill us in week one.

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13682379)

I get this line of thinking somewhat but guys like Murray and McQuay are probably JAGs and Watts needs developing at this level. Berry’s heel is a major question mark and Sorensen is basically done for the year. We NEED depth badly.

If this offense is clicking on all cylinders come December for a playoff run to come, we’ll be thankful to have a guy like Iloka on the back end.

oldman 08-19-2018 01:24 PM

It depends on how long Sorensen is expected to be out. I hate to lose a roster spot because of the IR designated to return timeline, we need help now. On the other hand, I'm one of the few that think Sorensen is OK as a safety.

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 01:28 PM

Sorensen is done this year I’d say, just don’t see how he comes back from those injuries. Plus he’ll need time to get back into shape too. I’d IR him.

chiefzilla1501 08-19-2018 01:31 PM

Much as I'd love to shore up this position. I'm starting to think our best option is to rebuild. I don't think this is our year. I still think our defense is a 2-3 year project.

Let's see if any of our cheap guys can shine at safety. If none do, back to the drawing board next year.

kcxiv 08-19-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Does he kneel?

Thanks in advance

well he is outspoken about biff from back to the future 2, so i would say he might be a kneeler

TLO 08-19-2018 01:35 PM

Ok gang. 1000 posts and he signs. Let's do this!!

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-19-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13682347)
Just increases the depth by pushing everyone down a spot

He’s good and I’d do 2 years but it may be a 1 year deal at this point

He wasn't released because he's good.

He was released because he's NOT good.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-19-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13682394)
It depends on how long Sorensen is expected to be out. I hate to lose a roster spot because of the IR designated to return timeline, we need help now. On the other hand, I'm one of the few that think Sorensen is OK as a safety.

A lot of people here think he sucks but don't even realize he led the team in tackles last year.

RealSNR 08-19-2018 01:40 PM

Put Sorensen on IR.

Offer Iloka a 3-year deal for Sorensen money or slightly above. Backload it so we can fit it under this year.

Cut Sorensen next year.

Profit.

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 01:41 PM

Apparently Iloka has been outspoken about his opinion on kneeling and the president, and some believe it may have played a big role in his release because of the Brown family’s views.

Sassy Squatch 08-19-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13682420)
Apparently Iloka has been outspoken about his opinion on kneeling and the president, and some believe it may have played a big role in his release because of the Brown family’s views.

Oh lol nvm. Chiefs aren't signing him.

RealSNR 08-19-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13682402)
Much as I'd love to shore up this position. I'm starting to think our best option is to rebuild. I don't think this is our year. I still think our defense is a 2-3 year project.

Let's see if any of our cheap guys can shine at safety. If none do, back to the drawing board next year.

I could have been okay with this, but then we just signed Scandrick.

No, a 1 year $1.5 million contract doesn't dictate strategy, but why throw money away like that if you're just going to come at the season in rebuild mode? At least Watkins and Hitchens signed multi-year contracts and will be here to take this team beyond the rebuild. Scandrick won't.

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13682422)

Yeah I guess he’s quite anti-Donald... so probably not.

Chief Roundup 08-19-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13682417)
A lot of people here think he sucks but don't even realize he led the team in tackles last year.

Mike Maslowski lead this team in tackles one year too.

-King- 08-19-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13682451)
Mike Maslowski lead this team in tackles one year too.

Yeah but he was a MLB.

Sorensen isn't great but he's better than most think. He was just placed into a role he wasn't ready for last year when Berry got injured. He went from being the #3 safety to being our #1. That's tough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buckweath 08-19-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13682425)
I could have been okay with this, but then we just signed Scandrick.

No, a 1 year $1.5 million contract doesn't dictate strategy, but why throw money away like that if you're just going to come at the season in rebuild mode? At least Watkins and Hitchens signed multi-year contracts and will be here to take this team beyond the rebuild. Scandrick won't.

There is no rebuild.

Some of our guys are at the end of their prime (Berry, Houston, Bailey, Schwartz, etc).

Now is the time to win.

I just wish Veach would find the way to actually trade for a good CB and then I'd feel good about the offense and the defense.

pugsnotdrugs19 08-19-2018 02:11 PM

Forget rebuilding, ever, at this stage anyways...

We’ve got a top notch head coach and a potentially great QB developing... they need to, and will be, trying to win every year.

Red Dawg 08-19-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

If that's the case he ain't coming here.

chiefzilla1501 08-19-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13682465)
There is no rebuild.

Some of our guys are at the end of their prime (Berry, Houston, Bailey, Schwartz, etc).

Now is the time to win.

I just wish Veach would find the way to actually trade for a good CB and then I'd feel good about the offense and the defense.

We've been trying to build a super bowl around those guys for years. If anything, restructuring Houston a year from now is even better reason to wait to load up. Mahomes, tyreek, Kareem, kelce, on the other hand, are young and should hopefully be here a while.

Now isn't the time to win. Our defense needs a few pieces, not one. Love mahomes but I don't expect him to have everything figured out right away. And I have no idea if our DC is the right guy to take us to the finish line.

chiefzilla1501 08-19-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Brown has never ever cared about winning. It wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't doubt he was also too cheap and is using this as his excuse.

Rain Man 08-19-2018 02:33 PM

Bring him in for iloka?

That should not have taken 43 posts, people.

ROYC75 08-19-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13682464)
Yeah but he was a MLB.

Sorensen isn't great but he's better than most think. He was just placed into a role he wasn't ready for last year when Berry got injured. He went from being the #3 safety to being our #1. That's tough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Plus the experience he gained while making some good strides along the way could be extremely beneficial to us once we get him back and Berry can stay healthy.

CupidStunt 08-19-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682361)
I disagree.

ROFL

Of course you do.

Interest in Iloko should be mandatory, along with any other UFA with a pulse. This D is begging for help at every level.

CupidStunt 08-19-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

I disagree.

He clearly looks better and though he hasn’t made any splash plays, he hasn’t made any mistakes so far in the preseason. Hasn’t been out of position looking lost like he was last year. I think he turns out to be solid depth and a decent #3 S at worst.

Out of interest, since you're probably the biggest homer here, which players on defense do you actually accept are trash?

rabblerouser 08-19-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

OK then.

staylor26 08-19-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13682502)
Out of interest, since you're probably the biggest homer here, which players on defense do you actually accept are trash?

Biggest homer here?

Give me a break. I’m so ****ing sick of this narrative. I’ve picked the Raiders and Chargers the last two years to win the division. I’ve never once felt confident that this team would win it all. I just can’t stand overly pessimistic idiots like yourself and I like to call you out on your shit. Believe me, I have a much better grip on the reality of this team and the talent on an individual basis than you ever will.

CupidStunt 08-19-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682506)
Biggest homer here?

Give me a break. I’m so ****ing sick of this narrative. I’ve picked the Raiders and Chargers the last two years to win the division. I’ve never once felt confident that this team would win it all. I just can’t stand overly pessimistic idiots like yourself and I like to call you out on your shit. Believe me, I have a much better grip on the reality of this team and the talent on an individual basis than you ever will.

ROFL

So that's 0?

ping2000 08-19-2018 02:53 PM

Check out his feet first. No MRSA please.

jjchieffan 08-19-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmos (Post 13682354)
Can Sorensen be cut while injured (settlement)?

Just IR him and be done with it.

staylor26 08-19-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13682507)
ROFL

So that's 0?

Berry= Great
Houston= Great
Hitchens= Really good
Jones= Really good, could be great
Fuller= Really good, could be great
Ragland= Good 2 down SILB
Williams= Solid run stuffing NT
Nelson= He’s been solid for the most part despite the hate, but could end up being JAG that can’t stay healthy
Ford= Solid pass rusher, below average run defender
Bailey= Decent starter
Sorenson= JAG

Everybody else is either trash or a young guy that is still developing. Murray definitely falls in the latter.

I don’t make final judgements on young guys that are clearly still developing because I’m not an impatient ****ing moron.

Lightrise 08-19-2018 03:17 PM

I've had enough frankly. I think Sutton retires after this year. Change is coming. Speaks should take Bailey's place now, sign this guy, cut Sorenson, convert Springs to safety and upgrade all the CB depth with other team practice squad players. We keep Smith of course and I'm not even sure we should keep Watts. It's just a big mess.

-King- 08-19-2018 03:19 PM

Nelson isn't good. He's a penalty waiting to happen Everytime they throw the ball in his direction
Posted via Mobile Device

NJChiefsFan 08-19-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682525)
Berry= Great
Houston= Great
Hitchens= Really good
Nelson= He’s been solid for the most part despite the hate, but could end up being JAG that can’t stay healthy
Bailey= Decent starter
Sorenson= JAG

Everybody else is either trash or a young guy that is still developing. Murray definitely falls in the latter.

I don’t make final judgements on young guys that are clearly still developing because I’m not an impatient ****ing moron.

You tend to buy in very quickly if any positive reviews come out on young guys. I think that with how many jags we've ended up having on defense despite early reports on them all, has helped lead to that image fair or not.

We've had so many recently. The eligwes, Gaines, nicholas' of the Chiefs world. More where they came from. I don't remember for sure which ones you have supported but you can get defensive at times, and again fair or not, has lead to the image of you defending guys like that before they deserve it.

CoMoChief 08-19-2018 03:32 PM

Would have rather made this deal than to waste money of ****ing Scandricks

TLO 08-19-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightrise (Post 13682530)
I've had enough frankly. I think Sutton retires after this year. Change is coming. Speaks should take Bailey's place now, sign this guy, cut Sorenson, convert Springs to safety and upgrade all the CB depth with other team practice squad players. We keep Smith of course and I'm not even sure we should keep Watts. It's just a big mess.

There's a whole lot of LMAO in this post.

CoMoChief 08-19-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682525)
Berry= Great
Houston= Great
Hitchens= Really good
Bailey= Decent starter
Sorenson= JAG

Jesus man...take the ****ing homer glasses off.

staylor26 08-19-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13682539)
You tend to buy in very quickly if any positive reviews come out on young guys. I think that with how many jags we've ended up having on defense despite early reports on them all, has helped lead to that image fair or not.

We've had so many recently. The eligwes, Gaines, nicholas' of the Chiefs world. More where they came from. I don't remember for sure which ones you have supported but you can get defensive at times, and again fair or not, has lead to the image of you defending guys like that before they deserve it.

You’re right, I started to get overly optimistic because we had been having a lot of success in the draft, and we continued to draft guys I hype up on CP pre-draft. It’s not just blind homerism when you liked them before they were even Chiefs though. I definitely had too much confidence in “my” guys. Gaines was my absolute worst.

The problem is, you guys only remember my misses. I pounded the table for guys like Kelce, Hunt, Jones, Peters, and Mahomes before we drafted them and also argued with posters defensively about them.

Then there are unknown guys like Hill and Eligwe that I got excited about after we drafted them and I did my homework.

I’ve learned my lesson though. I’m not always right, just like everybody else, and I’ve toned it down a lot.

BryanBusby 08-19-2018 03:51 PM

Iloka is mediocre safety and the Bengals probably cut him loose because they took Bates in the draft and feel he's ready.

Iloka would be the starter in KC, but I'm not sure if they'll spend what it takes to land him.

staylor26 08-19-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13682534)
Nelson isn't good. He's a penalty waiting to happen Everytime they throw the ball in his direction
Posted via Mobile Device

First, I didn’t say “good”.

Second, that is absolutely baseless. Nelson has not been called for a ridiculous amount of penalties whatsoever. Show me the stats to back that up.

RunKC 08-19-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13682422)

Nobody is signing him if that is the case.

RunKC 08-19-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

I disagree.

Pretty sure the first big Falcons play to Hooper was a blown assignment by Murray

O.city 08-19-2018 04:10 PM

Nelson just isn’t good enough. He’s physically tapped out.

staylor26 08-19-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13682573)
Pretty sure the first big Falcons play to Hooper was a blown assignment by Murray

I just watched again and I have no idea where you got that from. He was the deep safety on the play. He made the tackle, but I don’t think it was a blown assignment by him.

TLO 08-19-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13682575)
Nelson just isn’t good enough. He’s physically tapped out.

Nelson is the least of our worries right now

HemiEd 08-19-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Does he kneel?

Thanks in advance

Does he tackle?:rolleyes:

booger 08-19-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13682606)
Does he tackle?:rolleyes:

He’s a big dude for a safety.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...oka?id=2532869

With him being 28 it would probably be smart to keep the contract in under 3 years because whenever his play starts to decline he might have to carve out a roll of being a nickel/sub package ILB. Intriguing for sure if there’s nothing more to it than cap savings and Bates being ready to start

Cosmos 08-19-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13682520)
Just IR him and be done with it.

Ok, Do teams recover cap space when a player is on IR?

Looking for cash to spend on cut day to improve the CB/S/OL.

Bowser 08-19-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmos (Post 13682652)
Ok, Do teams recover cap space when a player is on IR?

Looking for cash to spend on cut day to improve the CB/S/OL.

I don't THINK so. I want to say when Berry was out fighting cancer a few years ago that we got cap relief, but that doesn't sound right.

The cash is going to have to come from cuts.

chiefzilla1501 08-19-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13682560)
Iloka is mediocre safety and the Bengals probably cut him loose because they took Bates in the draft and feel he's ready.

Iloka would be the starter in KC, but I'm not sure if they'll spend what it takes to land him.

A lot of players regressed under Guenther. I'm glad he's the Raiders' problem now. He sucks. I don't think he was that bad under Zimmer.

I wonder if some of his release has something to do with him being a head hunter. If so, if anyone else is in jeopardy. Clearly the NFL is going to over-enforce this rule.

-King- 08-19-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682563)
First, I didn’t say “good”.

Second, that is absolutely baseless. Nelson has not been called for a ridiculous amount of penalties whatsoever. Show me the stats to back that up.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...St01/penalties

I'm surprised I'm the only one who notices. Even when he has a good play, it's almost always a play that he could have easily got a penalty for.
Posted via Mobile Device

staylor26 08-19-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13682717)
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...St01/penalties

I'm surprised I'm the only one who notices. Even when he has a good play, it's almost always a play that he could have easily got a penalty for.
Posted via Mobile Device

So, he got a few his first year playing, big deal. The same year he graded out as one of the better NB’s in the league. Anybody saying he wasn’t solid outside of that is kidding themselves.

Last year he got 3, one of which was in the game against Dallas when he came back from injury with no practice time.

-King- 08-19-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682722)
I’m getting an error with that link.

It's fixed. It's just a list of his penalties. Compare that to other corners and you'll see he's on the higher side of the list. Also makes it worse that he doesn't have as many snaps as the other high penalty corners.
Posted via Mobile Device

staylor26 08-19-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13682730)
It's fixed. It's just a list of his penalties. Compare that to other corners and you'll see he's on the higher side of the list. Also makes it worse that he doesn't have as many snaps as the other high penalty corners.
Posted via Mobile Device

I got it. Edited my post.

His first year starting he certainly got more than you’d like, but was still a solid NB.

Last year wasn’t bad at all (3).

Also, Nelson was among our top 3 or so defensive players in snaps last year.

-King- 08-19-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682738)
I got it. Edited my post.

His first year starting he certainly got more than you’d like, but was still a solid NB.

Last year wasn’t bad at all (3).

Also, Nelson was among our top 3 or so defensive players in snaps last year.

What? Nelson only started 7 games last year.
Posted via Mobile Device

staylor26 08-19-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13682745)
What? Nelson only started 7 games last year.
Posted via Mobile Device

I meant per game, sorry.

-King- 08-19-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682746)
I meant per game, sorry.

Either way, when the ball was thrown his way, I expected a penalty half the time. He's just too grabby and not even in a slick veteran way.
Posted via Mobile Device

staylor26 08-19-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13682756)
Either way, when the ball was thrown his way, I expected a penalty half the time. He's just too grabby and not even in a slick veteran way.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that’s because you’re clinging on to the fact that he had so many his first year playing.

3 in 7 games playing almost 100% if the snaps those games isn’t bad at all.

-King- 08-19-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13682775)
I think that’s because you’re clinging on to the fact that he had so many his first year playing.

3 in 7 games playing almost 100% if the snaps those games isn’t bad at all.

He didn't play as many snaps as you remmeber. Yeah he had some games at 100% but not all. He was probably around 5th on the defense in snaps in the games he played. 3 in 7 starts is a lot. 14 in his 22 starts in his career is a **** ton. And he doesn't have playmaking ability to off set it like Peters does.
Posted via Mobile Device