ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Car AC Compressor Question.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316692)

petegz28 08-08-2018 06:54 PM

Car AC Compressor Question..

Wife's SUV was blowing cold air this morning and won't blow anything but hot air now. I threw an AC recharge can on but noticed even with the compressor clutch engaged, the pressure is still in the red. I would expect it to drop once the clutch engages.

Am I looking at a bad compressor even though the clutch is engaging?

Weird part is even with the AC off and the temp set at 70 or so, it feels like I am just getting hot air. Thought maybe the door thing that's supposed to change was not working but the pressure issue makes me think it's the compressor.

Any ideas or insight is appreciated.

TribalElder 08-08-2018 07:13 PM

I'm sorry, your car has the AIDS

ROFL

petegz28 08-08-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 13665362)
I'm sorry, your car has the AIDS

ROFL

Thank you, Captain Obvious...lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TribalElder 08-08-2018 07:14 PM

<iframe width="733" height="348" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TwyE3WJ4AWo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 08-08-2018 07:20 PM

happened to me awhile back

your compressor is ****ed

Fish 08-08-2018 07:24 PM

If it went from blowing really cold air to hot air right away, and the vehicle hasn't been in an accident or hit an owl or anything, it's more likely that the compressor went out. Or an electrical failure. Probably compressor. Redline pressure, maybe it's just plugged up...

Fish 08-08-2018 07:30 PM

Can you hear the compressor kick in at all when it's running? Or is it not engaging at all?

Bwana 08-08-2018 07:31 PM

If it's the compressor and from what you said that would me my guess, grab your wallet and prepare for the beating.

petegz28 08-08-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13665368)
happened to me awhile back

your compressor is ****ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13665380)
Can you hear the compressor kick in at all when it's running? Or is it not engaging at all?

I can hear it. I see the clutch engage as well.

petegz28 08-08-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 13665381)
If it's the compressor and from what you said that would me my guess, grab your wallet and prepare for the beating.

Extended warranty ftw

Fish 08-08-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665385)
I can hear it. I see the clutch engage as well.

Did you happen to see if the pressure changed any when the compressor engaged? If it didn't, it's probably plugged or failed. According to my unfortunate experience at least. I'm far from a mechanic, but have dealt with these exact symptoms..

petegz28 08-08-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13665389)
Did you happen to see if the pressure changed any when the compressor engaged? If it didn't, it's probably plugged or failed. According to my unfortunate experience at least. I'm far from a mechanic, but have dealt with these exact symptoms..

Yeah it doesn't change at all.

Bwana 08-08-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665386)
Extended warranty ftw

Well that's all good unless they try to break out the fine print where it's not really covered. Hope it works out.

petegz28 08-08-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 13665394)
Well that's all good unless they try to break out the fine print where it's not really covered. Hope it works out.

Says cooling system is covered. But I know what you mean the ****ing thing was just in the shop for over a week getting the panoramic roof replaced and they made sure to tell me glass is not covered

Fish 08-08-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665393)
Yeah it doesn't change at all.

Did you try beating it profusely with a ball peen hammer?

hotrod 08-08-2018 07:56 PM

You really need to get a set of manifold gauges hooked to it. those little gauges that come on a can are not accurate and are often very wrong. you really need to be able to see both the high side and low side to diagnose.

notorious 08-08-2018 07:57 PM

Is the condenser cold to the touch or hot?

It’s an SUV, sometime the rear controls can affect how the front blows cool air.

I have a 2001 Yukon XL for an employee. If the rear controls are off it won’t blow cool air. There is a connection behind the rear right plastic panel when dirty will stop the rear from blowing air.

stumppy 08-08-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665398)
Says cooling system is covered. But I know what you mean the ****ing thing was just in the shop for over a week getting the panoramic roof replaced and they made sure to tell me glass is not covered

Might want to read that again. Cooling system generally refers to the engine cooling system, water pump, radiator. An a/c compressor would fall under the heating/ac system.

Depends on the warranty company on how they word it.

petegz28 08-08-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13665411)
Is the condenser cold to the touch or hot?

It’s an SUV, sometime the rear controls can affect how the front blows cool air.

I have a 2001 Yukon XL for an employee. If the rear controls are off it won’t blow cool air. There is a connection behind the rear right plastic panel when dirty will stop the rear from blowing air.

checked the rear controls....didn't touch the condenser but the lines are hot

Fish 08-08-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13665412)
Might want to read that again. Cooling system generally refers to the engine cooling system, water pump, radiator. An a/c compressor would fall under the heating/ac system.

https://i.imgur.com/f7FdEdG.jpg

notorious 08-08-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665416)
checked the rear controls....didn't touch the condenser but the lines are hot

:facepalm:

I’m sorry, I meant to say “accumulator” instead of condenser. LMAO

petegz28 08-08-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13665433)
:facepalm:

I’m sorry, I meant to say “accumulator” instead of condenser. LMAO

I don't know what that is.....

petegz28 08-08-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13665412)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13665424)

I double checked....it says cooling system and air conditioning so yeah, cooling system is not AC but AC seems to be covered.

petegz28 08-08-2018 08:29 PM

So I got down and looked at the compressor while it was running..the outside is rotating fine but the front has a bunch of tar looking stuff around the edge and the middle part is barely turning at all. Not sure if that's normal or not but it doesn't look normal....

notorious 08-08-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665438)

Should be mounted near the firewall and it’s the size of a jar of spaghetti sauce or large beer can with several lines going in and out.

Here is a pic of a Yukon accumulator.

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/KI...300.jpg.cf.jpg

Bwana 08-08-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665438)

The AC accumulator is a metal canister that acts as a filter for the AC system. It is filled with desiccant, a moisture absorbing material.

notorious 08-08-2018 08:30 PM

Of course Sauto is out tonight. Dude would have had it pegged in one post while I fumble around all over the place.

Bwana 08-08-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13665447)
Of course Sauto is out tonight. Dude would have had it pegged in one post while I fumble around all over the place.

Heh, yeah he was here earlier but he's not on right now.

petegz28 08-08-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13665444)
Should be mounted near the firewall and it’s the size of a jar of spaghetti sauce or large beer can with several lines going in and out.

Here is a pic of a Yukon accumulator.

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/KI...300.jpg.cf.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 13665446)
The AC accumulator is a metal canister that acts as a filter for the AC system. It is filled with desiccant, a moisture absorbing material.

Okay yeah, it's all hot. All the lines are hot. And when you look at the compressor head on, the inside is barely spinning even though the outside is cranking away.

petegz28 08-08-2018 08:35 PM

The part that really stumps me is when I have it on just vent it blows just hot air. You'd think the cooler air from outside would be more of what I feel with the thermostat set at 68 or so.

Bwana 08-08-2018 08:45 PM

If it keeps giving you trouble, you can always break out the tannerite.

https://i.imgur.com/gvz6uyu.gif?noredirect

notorious 08-08-2018 08:47 PM

By no means am I anywhere near as knowledgeable as a lot of guys here, but a hot accumulator means you need to charge the system, flush the system, or lastly change the compressor.

Good news is that it’s fairly simple to change, at least it is on the vehicles I have done (90 Chevy pickup, 94 suburban, 01 Yukon), but you will need some wrench turning experience to pull it off.

Wait for someone who really knows though. I am willing to give my own gear a go, but I don’t want to waste someone else’s time and money.

petegz28 08-08-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13665476)
By no means am I anywhere near as knowledgeable as a lot of guys here, but a hot accumulator means you need to charge the system, flush the system, or lastly change the compressor.

Good news is that it’s fairly simple to change, at least it is on the vehicles I have done (90 Chevy pickup, 94 suburban, 01 Yukon), but you will need some wrench turning experience to pull it off.

Wait for someone who really knows though. I am willing to give my own gear a go, but I don’t want to waste someone else’s time and money.

I thought it might need a charge but to go from fine to not fine in less than an afternoon? Unless I have a big leak somewhere. Plus I know on my Camaro when it did lose charge, the compressor wouldn't even engage until I charged it up.

Chief Roundup 08-08-2018 09:03 PM

Sounds like you have lost a control to the servo motor that opens the damper that allows air across the evaporator coil as well as the fresh air. It also sounds like you have a blockage with the flow of freon.

petegz28 08-08-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13665487)
Sounds like you have lost a control to the servo motor that opens the damper that allows air across the evaporator coil as well as the fresh air.

That's what I was wondering. That happened in my old Maxima. In fact the entire ac system from servo to compressor all shot craps on that one. The dealer just replaced the radio in this so I don't know how that all works but I wonder if that had something to do with it since they had the console torn apart? It did work for a few days after we got it back but.....

Dallas Chief 08-09-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Extended warranty ftw

Smart. I’m $1500 poorer this week. Had to replace the compressor and condenser in my Navigator last Friday.

hotrod 08-09-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665490)
That's what I was wondering. That happened in my old Maxima. In fact the entire ac system from servo to compressor all shot craps on that one. The dealer just replaced the radio in this so I don't know how that all works but I wonder if that had something to do with it since they had the console torn apart? It did work for a few days after we got it back but.....

Have you turned it to heat to see if the air coming out of the vents change temp? then cycle it back to cool, listen for compressor to click on and air cool off? You can also usually hear the blend door actuator engage. also while your at it make sure the air is coming through the appropriate vents and not partially between different outlets such as vents and partially floor or defrost.

loochy 08-09-2018 06:42 AM

If it's covered, why are you messing around with it? Just take it in.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28 08-09-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod (Post 13665693)
Have you turned it to heat to see if the air coming out of the vents change temp? then cycle it back to cool, listen for compressor to click on and air cool off? You can also usually hear the blend door actuator engage. also while your at it make sure the air is coming through the appropriate vents and not partially between different outlets such as vents and partially floor or defrost.

Yep, tried all that...can't really hear the door though

SAUTO 08-09-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665443)
So I got down and looked at the compressor while it was running..the outside is rotating fine but the front has a bunch of tar looking stuff around the edge and the middle part is barely turning at all. Not sure if that's normal or not but it doesn't look normal....

this tells us all we need to know.

the clutch is fried.

what do you drive?

petegz28 08-09-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13665717)
this tells us all we need to know.

the clutch is fried.

what do you drive?

2013 Ford Explorer. Just had a bunch of work done and one thing they did was replace the radio. So I was just curious if they ****ed up something there since that's where all the climate controls and such are as well.

WhawhaWhat 08-09-2018 07:05 AM

I bet Mahomes can fix it but he's busy tonight.

SAUTO 08-09-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665731)
2013 Ford Explorer. Just had a bunch of work done and one thing they did was replace the radio. So I was just curious if they ****ed up something there since that's where all the climate controls and such are as well.

sounds to me like the clutch melted. it should be turning the same speed as the pulley when engaged.

Buehler445 08-09-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13665452)
Okay yeah, it's all hot. All the lines are hot. And when you look at the compressor head on, the inside is barely spinning even though the outside is cranking away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13665763)
sounds to me like the clutch melted. it should be turning the same speed as the pulley when engaged.

This. Clutch is fried so essentially compressor never engages. My AC guy was able to get just a clutch for our semi but I’d bet you’re getting a new compressor.

Be sure to ask though. It’s way cheaper and they don’t have to Vacuum the system.

petegz28 08-09-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13665763)

That's sort of what I thought. Well, it goes in tomorrow. Thanks for the insight.

notorious 08-09-2018 12:35 PM

That’s why Sauto is awesome. Dumb****s like me only gum up the works.

displacedinMN 08-09-2018 01:22 PM

Had the oil changed this morning. The guy sitting next to me had his compressor go out. Bearings/whining To the point that if he drove it too much, it may seize up and blow the belt.

My first thought was "Pete?"

hotrod 08-09-2018 03:47 PM

you can sometimes shim the clutch on a ford and get some more life. I shimmed the clutch in one of my trucks about 3 years ago and have had no more trouble. On another, I had to order in a new clutch and shimmed it until the new clutch came in and got it put on. Its just one bolt to remove, in the center of the clutch, then pull the clutch out and you might see where its been rubbing on the back side. A thin washer or shim might create the clearance to where the clutch can rotate freely , and get you by until they can get it in to repair it or you can repair yourself.

SAUTO 08-09-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod (Post 13666773)
you can sometimes shim the clutch on a ford and get some more life. I shimmed the clutch in one of my trucks about 3 years ago and have had no more trouble. On another, I had to order in a new clutch and shimmed it until the new clutch came in and got it put on. Its just one bolt to remove, in the center of the clutch, then pull the clutch out and you might see where its been rubbing on the back side. A thin washer or shim might create the clearance to where the clutch can rotate freely , and get you by until they can get it in to repair it or you can repair yourself.

the tar around the edges is where the clutch and winding insulation has melted.

compressor is most likely starting to lock up, which is usually the root issue at that point

eDave 08-09-2018 04:58 PM

CP at it's finest. :clap:

SAUTO 08-09-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 13665654)
Smart. I’m $1500 poorer this week. Had to replace the compressor and condenser in my Navigator last Friday.

ouch.

seems high

SAUTO 08-09-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Extended warranty ftw

here's a tip. make that warranty company pay for the complete kit. if they want to only install a compressor , most likely, and they absolutely refuse to pay to install the drier and expansion valve/ otube and possibly the condenser also, then bite the bullet and pay for that stuff yourself. it will make it cooler and last longer. the warranty company usually tries to save that money and then they won't cover it again for at least a year, and the shop won't want to warranty it either because the parts store usually won't cover it unless you show everything being replaced.

I've dealt with this coming to me from another shop in the past.

KranzDictum 08-09-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 13665750)
I bet Mahomes can fix it but he's busy tonight.

Not as busy as his punter.

Sorry about the Cooling problems, ours had a leak back to the rear in our old Durango.

The front would blow cold until the leak drained the fridgerant and then I had to keep pumping more in. WHen we bought the new Durango we got the extended warranty for this reason. As well as the issues we had with the transfer case and prop shaft on the old one.

Good luck to you.

petegz28 08-10-2018 08:24 AM

So they told me the compressor is shot. Also they found a small oil leak under the "timing cover??" ...so since I have the extended warranty I am having them fix it all as long as it is all covered. My warranty says it doesn't cover coolant charging but I am wondering if they will since they have to replace the compressor and it's part of that process???

Oh well, $300 at least for all of it if not more.

petegz28 08-10-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13666964)
here's a tip. make that warranty company pay for the complete kit. if they want to only install a compressor , most likely, and they absolutely refuse to pay to install the drier and expansion valve/ otube and possibly the condenser also, then bite the bullet and pay for that stuff yourself. it will make it cooler and last longer. the warranty company usually tries to save that money and then they won't cover it again for at least a year, and the shop won't want to warranty it either because the parts store usually won't cover it unless you show everything being replaced.

I've dealt with this coming to me from another shop in the past.

Okay, I will talk with them and see what they say.

SAUTO 08-10-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13668485)
So they told me the compressor is shot. Also they found a small oil leak under the "timing cover??" ...so since I have the extended warranty I am having them fix it all as long as it is all covered. My warranty says it doesn't cover coolant charging but I am wondering if they will since they have to replace the compressor and it's part of that process???

Oh well, $300 at least for all of it if not more.

they wont cover any fluids most times, tax and diagnostics either...