ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Terrell Owens says he won't attend his Hall of Fame induction. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315715)

Rain Man 06-07-2018 09:08 PM

Terrell Owens says he won't attend his Hall of Fame induction.

Jerk. Take it back and give it to someone who deserves it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...f-enshrinement

Gravedigger 06-07-2018 09:15 PM

T.O is a narcissist and has to show up other people and be different. He shouldn't have been accepted at this time, plenty of people are more deserving. I feel like they're jumping into the young guys too quickly and letting so many of the first timers in, they need to pull back and give the older guys their due.

Willie Lanier 06-07-2018 09:16 PM

He's a drama queen; I would have expected nothing less...

Great player, ridiculous personality

AssEaterChief 06-07-2018 09:27 PM

Don't really understand his motivation...he made such an issue of not getting in to begin with..

His statement wasn't arrogant or anything, respectful for the most part.

He must really be at odds with the league and how he feels about his time in professional football.

Rain Man 06-07-2018 09:30 PM

Michael Irvin was interviewed on NFL Network in between Patriots segments, and he intimated that Terrell Owens was unhappy that he wasn't a first-ballot guy. Maybe Owens should have actually been part of a team if he wanted to get in on the first ballot.

Why was the guy whining about not getting in if the first ballot was the only one he cared about? This reminds me of the crybaby acts of Floyd Little and Harry Carson.

Mephistopheles Janx 06-07-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 13585731)
T.O is a narcissist and has to show up other people and be different. He shouldn't have been accepted at this time, plenty of people are more deserving. I feel like they're jumping into the young guys too quickly and letting so many of the first timers in, they need to pull back and give the older guys their due.

I get hating TO. I hate TO.

That said... plenty of people are more deserving for the NFL Hall of Fame? C'mon son.

2nd (likely to be dropped to 3rd) in career yards.
3rd in receiving Touchdowns.
8th in receptions.
5th top scoring (non kicker) in NFL history.

Hopefully this is the last we hear of him in relation to pro-football.

wazu 06-07-2018 09:40 PM

He definitely deserves the HOF. Was an absolutely dominant force who took over games. I always loved the celebrations.

All that said, if you decline to go and you are healthy, I'd love to see them go "YOINK!" and take it back. The Hall of Fame is an honor but in the end is not at all important. So if somebody wants to be a dick about it just cut them out and move on.

Chiefshrink 06-07-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssEaterChief (Post 13585743)
Don't really understand his motivation...he made such an issue of not getting in to begin with..

His statement wasn't arrogant or anything, respectful for the most part.

He must really be at odds with the league and how he feels about his time in professional football.

Attention whore who thought he should have been in his first eligible year. TO just giving the finger to the NFL brass/sportswriters who really don't care and are probably glad they don't have to worry about any drama on that day of induction.

Rain Man 06-07-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13585758)
He definitely deserves the HOF. Was an absolutely dominant force who took over games. I always loved the celebrations.

All that said, if you decline to go and you are healthy, I'd love to see them go "YOINK!" and take it back. The Hall of Fame is an honor but in the end is not at all important. So if somebody wants to be a dick about it just cut them out and move on.

Health is obviously a good excuse, but maybe the best solution if someone does a prima donna thing like this is to defer their induction. The HoF should say, "We'll induct you when you're ready for it. You're not ready right now." So he's got the induction when he wants it, but he doesn't go in if he doesn't appreciate it. He then needs to let the HoF know in some future year that he's ready and he joins the next year's class.

Mephistopheles Janx 06-07-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13585765)
Health is obviously a good excuse, but maybe the best solution if someone does a prima donna thing like this is to defer their induction. The HoF should say, "We'll induct you when you're ready for it. You're not ready right now." So he's got the induction when he wants it, but he doesn't go in if he doesn't appreciate it. He then needs to let the HoF know in some future year that he's ready and he joins the next year's class.

Would it change your opinion of the HoF if I told you that Todd Blackledge is on the Board of Trustees at Canton?

Chief Northman 06-07-2018 09:51 PM

I won’t be attending Terrell Owens HOF induction either.

SuperBowl4 06-07-2018 09:55 PM

Didn't TO once say - I love me some me - I say bring TO in for a try out - This could be T.O.'s way of saying I still got game

BWillie 06-07-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13585728)
Jerk. Take it back and give it to someone who deserves it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...f-enshrinement

I love it. **** those guys in the coats.

carcosa 06-07-2018 10:11 PM

I think it's fine.

BossChief 06-07-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13585744)
Michael Irvin was interviewed on NFL Network in between Patriots segments, and he intimated that Terrell Owens was unhappy that he wasn't a first-ballot guy. Maybe Owens should have actually been part of a team if he wanted to get in on the first ballot.

Why was the guy whining about not getting in if the first ballot was the only one he cared about? This reminds me of the crybaby acts of Floyd Little and Harry Carson.

He did an interview on XM where he said he felt he should have been a first ballot guy and how he never had attitude problems and everybody was out to get him.

The man is full blown delusional.

It’s crazy to hear his take on certain situations.

Rain Man 06-07-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 13585768)
Would it change your opinion of the HoF if I told you that Todd Blackledge is on the Board of Trustees at Canton?

Hmm. I will say that they should've taken Marino.

Nickhead 06-07-2018 11:23 PM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-skip-canton/

Quote:

Given that Owens played for so many teams — and routinely nuked the bridge back to each one — it’s possible that Owens realized during his initial visit to Canton that: (1) Hall of Fame weekend won’t be cheap; and (2) the 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, Bills, and/or Bengals won’t be chipping in to cover the tab.

If Owens can instead persuade another network to televise an induction party, at which Owens would deliver his speech, the network would foot the bill for the event. And Owens would have a one-man Hall of Fame party that potentially will upstage the official enshrinement of Owens and seven others.

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-08-2018 05:27 AM

Rescind the honor and give it to Cliff Branch or some other AFC old timer.

Mile High Mania 06-08-2018 05:34 AM

Incredible player... only cared about himself for the most part. I'm not suggesting he was a terrible person, but few fans connected with him. Ask someone their first impression or first thought when they hear his name or hear "TO"... bet it's not on the field play related. That's his problem. And, now he's an aging former drama queen that is down on his luck in the money department, right? Not good.

ChiTown 06-08-2018 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13585873)
Rescind the honor and give it to A more deserving player like Otis Taylor or some other AFL old timer.

FYP

Flying High D 06-08-2018 06:08 AM

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ens-net-worth/

Dude is definitely not down in the money department. He has a net worth of $100k. No wonder he loves himself so much. That is some serious gold.

loochy 06-08-2018 06:26 AM

It's not the hall of likeability

It's not the hall of good people

It's the hall of fame and he's good enough
Posted via Mobile Device

SuperBowl4 06-08-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 13585817)

T.O. should have a pay-per-view acceptance telecast from his front yard like when he was doing sit-ups and working out from his house during his stint with Philadelphia.

Mile High Mania 06-08-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13585912)
It's not the hall of likeability

It's not the hall of good people

It's the hall of fame and he's good enough
Posted via Mobile Device

All true.

WhawhaWhat 06-08-2018 07:39 AM

He deserves to be in and I wouldn't have watched the ceremony anyway.

KCrockaholic 06-08-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 13585731)

What the **** old man?

T.O. is #2 all-time in receiving yards, #3 all-time in receiving TD's and he played a fraction of the games Jerry Rice did. T.O. is a legitimate top 3 WR of all time.

GTFO. Doesn't ****in matter if you don't like his personality.

Oh AND he waited 2+ years to go in. He could've been enshrined in 2016 and 2017 but he was passed up.

Rain Man 06-08-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13586027)
What the **** old man?

T.O. is #2 all-time in receiving yards, #3 all-time in receiving TD's and he played a fraction of the games Jerry Rice did. T.O. is a legitimate top 3 WR of all time.

GTFO. Doesn't ****in matter if you don't like his personality.

Oh AND he waited 2+ years to go in. He could've been enshrined in 2016 and 2017 but he was passed up.

Meh. You can't touch the passer, you can't touch the receiver. All a top ten ranking means in this era is that you were above average among current receivers. Otis Taylor's stats are more impressive when you consider that linemen couldn't use their hands, quarterbacks got planted, and receivers were pushed around on their entire route tree.

Stryker 06-08-2018 08:48 AM

The real joke is that he is even considered! He does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame nor even mentioned in the same sentence!! **** him!

oldman 06-08-2018 08:49 AM

TO is a jerk, flat out. But you can't deny he was a game-changing player and deserves to be in the Hall. Whatever his reasons for not attending are his own and he's not hurting anyone but himself.

Dayze 06-08-2018 08:52 AM

the hall is a joke anyway.
Tony Dungy
Terrell Davis..

the criteria for geting a bust in Canton is as mysterious as what is Holding and Defensive PI.

Stryker 06-08-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13586095)
TO is a jerk, flat out. But you can't deny he was a game-changing player and deserves to be in the Hall. Whatever his reasons for not attending are his own and he's not hurting anyone but himself.

Well said and you are correct.

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-08-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 13585892)
FYP

That is why I included other AFC players. :D

But I am game for Taylor to be awarded with his due honor.

KCrockaholic 06-08-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13586086)
Meh. You can't touch the passer, you can't touch the receiver. All a top ten ranking means in this era is that you were above average among current receivers. Otis Taylor's stats are more impressive when you consider that linemen couldn't use their hands, quarterbacks got planted, and receivers were pushed around on their entire route tree.

This isn't about Otis Taylor. Yeah he should've been put in a long time ago.

The fact is, the entire HOF is so watered down with nonsense these days because 8 ****in guys are going in every single year. The HOF doesn't hold the same value anymore when it's just bullshit players going in for the sake of making sure there's 8 names on the list.

But with that said, should T.O., the PLAYER be in the HOF? Absolutely yes. Should've been first ballot.

Anyone who argues otherwise is a hater and judgmental towards a guy who has serious mental illness.

Hydrae 06-08-2018 10:17 AM

I didn't know that an induction speech was part of the requirement to be enshrined. :shrug:

Halfcan 06-08-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 13586220)
I didn't know that an induction speech was part of the requirement to be enshrined. :shrug:

At the very least, it is common courtesy. When an organization wants to give you the highest honor in your profession- it is a pretty dick move not to show up and accept it.

Even enshrinement in the HOF is tainted with drama queens now. Hopefully, they set a precedent and REVOKE his induction permanently. TO is an embarrassment to the others that wore the jacket before him.

RippedmyFlesh 06-08-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13585893)

Dude is definitely not down in the money department. He has a net worth of $100k. No wonder he loves himself so much. That is some serious gold.

Earned 80M and worth 100k. Think about that.

T-post Tom 06-08-2018 12:21 PM

https://perikinder.files.wordpress.c.../attention.jpg

BleedingRed 06-08-2018 12:46 PM

To be honest he should have been a 1st ballot guy. NFL Reporters kept him out to spite him...

BWillie 06-08-2018 12:54 PM

People in this thread actually believe TO doesn't belong in the HOF. Fascinating.

BleedingRed 06-08-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13586446)
People in this thread actually believe TO doesn't belong in the HOF. Fascinating.

I don't see how anyone could.

Rain Man 06-08-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13586493)
I don't see how anyone could.

I think he deserves a spot, but not first ballot and I don't think it's a lock. I think you have to take into account the entire player, not just the stats, and it's pretty clear that he had a strong negative influence on every team he ever played for. He made those around him less effective because of his attitude. I think that needs to be taken into account.

I'll shrug and won't argue that he's in, but as a football fan I wouldn't mind if he wasn't. He doesn't exemplify greatness in a team sport.

Frazod 06-08-2018 01:51 PM

What a douche. :shake:

BucEyedPea 06-08-2018 02:10 PM

My option is missing. It would be "Do Nothing."

If they believed he deserved it then they should stand by their choice regardless.

BigBeauford 06-08-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13585893)

Wait...that's shitty.

kccrow 06-08-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13586437)
To be honest he should have been a 1st ballot guy. NFL Reporters kept him out to spite him...

Agreed.

Can't really fault Owens for feeling disrespected. He never did help himself in that department though, and he's not helping himself again.

Chiefshrink 06-08-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13586774)
Agreed.

Can't really fault Owens for feeling disrespected. He never did help himself in that department though, and he's not helping himself again.

Showing exactly why he was not 1st ballot. Reputation precedes you and he definitely made his bed for sure.

TribalElder 06-08-2018 06:07 PM

He will probably try to play again after being inducted

kccrow 06-08-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13586781)
Showing exactly why he was not 1st ballot. Reputation precedes you and he definitely made his bed for sure.

The Hall of Fame, in my opinion, shouldn't be a popularity contest. They already have that in the stupid ass Pro Bowl. The best players in the history of the NFL should go, not the best choir boys.

beach tribe 06-08-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13586150)
This isn't about Otis Taylor. Yeah he should've been put in a long time ago.

The fact is, the entire HOF is so watered down with nonsense these days because 8 ****in guys are going in every single year. The HOF doesn't hold the same value anymore when it's just bullshit players going in for the sake of making sure there's 8 names on the list.

But with that said, should T.O., the PLAYER be in the HOF? Absolutely yes. Should've been first ballot.

Anyone who argues otherwise is a hater and judgmental towards a guy who has serious mental illness.

TO definitely deserves to be in, but being a huge douchebag is not a serious mental illness.

alpha_omega 06-08-2018 06:51 PM

None of the above. Let him in, but skip his part of the induction ceremony entirely.

jjchieffan 07-13-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 13586831)
None of the above. Let him in, but skip his part of the induction ceremony entirely.

Looks like that's what they're doing. NFL.com has an article up stating that he won't be mentioned during the ceremony or the gold jacket presentation. His jacket will be mailed to him.

Frazod 07-13-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13626452)
Looks like that's what they're doing. NFL.com has an article up stating that he won't be mentioned during the ceremony or the gold jacket presentation. His jacket will be mailed to him.

I hope they send it COD.

srvy 07-13-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

They should Fed Ex his Canton Bust to him. They will probably give it the George Costanza treatment.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/201...a-trophy-o.gif

Rain Man 07-13-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

I like that as a plan on first hearing it. After a moment of thought, it seems like they're stooping to his level and they should be celebrating "greatness" rather than responding. If the jerk is being inducted, they should have a highlight clip or something. I don't really care that much, though, since I'd use that time for a bathroom run.

wazu 07-13-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13626478)
I like that as a plan on first hearing it. After a moment of thought, it seems like they're stooping to his level and they should be celebrating "greatness" rather than responding. If the jerk is being inducted, they should have a highlight clip or something. I don't really care that much, though, since I'd use that time for a bathroom run.

People always say “stooping to so-and-so’s level” like it’s a bad thing. In this case I love the approach. Don’t want to be honored at the ceremony? That’s cool, just don’t go.

Rain Man 07-13-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13626548)
People always say “stooping to so-and-so’s level” like it’s a bad thing. In this case I love the approach. Don’t want to be honored at the ceremony? That’s cool, just don’t go.

Yeah, I can see that argument, and that's where my heart goes.

It's interesting to me, though, that the HoF induction is supposed to give players and fans a nice retrospective of a player's career, and make it a capstone event. If that's not happening and no one's interested, is the player really a HoFer?

gblowfish 07-13-2018 11:44 AM

He's going to regret it later in life if he skips the ceremony. Sad really...

FloridaMan88 07-13-2018 06:24 PM

If the HOF hasn't removed OJ (his actions are a little more severe than TO skipping the induction ceremony), then they have no ground to stand on in terms of passing judgement on character.

Also OJ still gets invited to the HOF Induction Ceremony each year.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 07-13-2018 06:38 PM

The absolute worst timing for alligator arms

-King- 07-13-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13626478)

To me, theyre proving him right. They're being extremely petty. They snubbed him once despite the fact he's a top 3 WR in NFL history stats wise and the past few months they've shown they care more about their own "prestige" than actually voting deserving players in.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King- 07-13-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13626857)
He's going to regret it later in life if he skips the ceremony. Sad really...

Why? He's having his own ceremony at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga where he went to school and is giving away free admission for any students or locals that want to go.

That seems very meaningful and pretty cool and should be a life long memory.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flying High D 07-13-2018 08:28 PM

How could he give free admission? He is broke. Living in his girlfriends apartment.

Rain Man 07-13-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13627665)
How could he give free admission? He is broke. Living in his girlfriends apartment.

How is he charging? Isn't it at a public university?

Flying High D 07-13-2018 09:59 PM

Hall of Fame isn’t covering his ceremony.

GloryDayz 07-13-2018 10:08 PM

Not a Chief, so it doesn't matter.

wazu 07-13-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 13627539)
If the HOF hasn't removed OJ (his actions are a little more severe than TO skipping the induction ceremony), then they have no ground to stand on in terms of passing judgement on character.

Also OJ still gets invited to the HOF Induction Ceremony each year.

If he’d show up I’d actually watch.