ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Tyler Hilinski, QB for Washington State, apparently commits suicide. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313298)

MrGiggity 01-17-2018 10:33 AM

Tyler Hilinski, QB for Washington State, apparently commits suicide.

Was the Starter for WSU. Only 21. Apparently shot himself in the head. Damn.

RIP

gblowfish 01-17-2018 10:36 AM

Story from CBS News:

PULLMAN, Wash. -- Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski has died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, police here say. The 21-year-old Hilinski was discovered in his apartment after he didn't show up for practice Tuesday.

A rifle "was recovered next to Hilinski and a suicide note was found," according to the Pullman Police Department, which added that, "Pullman Police detectives and the Whitman County Coroner's Office are conducting a thorough investigation to confirm the suspected cause and manner of death."

"We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Tyler's passing," Washington State coach Mike Leach said in a statement. "He was an incredible young man and everyone who had the privilege of knowing him was better for it. The entire WSU community mourns as thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Hilinski was the presumptive starting quarterback going into next season. He started Washington State's Holiday Bowl loss to Michigan State after Luke Falk was unable to play due to a wrist injury.

"The tragic news today surrounding Tyler Hilinski is devastating to all. Tyler was a tremendous individual, great friend and teammate, and he will be deeply missed. Our hearts go out to his family and friends," interim athletic director John Johnson said. "Earlier tonight, the football team was brought together and informed of the tragedy. There, they were met by campus and department counseling and psychological services, including athletics' on-staff clinical psychologist and a licensed mental health counselor, along with WSU Athletics medical team. The university will continue to coordinate and provide ongoing counseling care for all student-athletes as long as needed."

Hilinski appeared in eight games during his sophomore season, throwing for 1,176 yards and seven touchdowns. His most memorable outing came in the second week of the season when he led Washington State from a 21-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Boise State 47-44 in triple overtime. Hilinski threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns coming off the bench, and was carried off the field after the victory.

His only start came in the bowl game against Michigan State, although he played extensively in a loss to Arizona.

Former Washington State linebackers coach Roy Manning, who recently left for a position at UCLA, tweeted , "Words can't describe what I'm feeling right now. My heart is beyond saddened. Please pray for the family and all of us affected!"

Washington State's players took to social media in reaction to Hilinski's death.

"Ty you were a great teammate, friend, brother anything we needed you to be. You brought smiles to the people around you. I am sorry I could not be there for you when you needed a smile for yourself. Love you man," defensive back Skyler Thomas wrote on Twitter .

Fellow quarterback John Bledsoe also wrote on Twitter , "God, let Tyler find peace. Everyone please pray for the Hilinski family tonight. Heaven received a very special person."

Hilinski is from Claremont, California, and went to high school at nearby Upland. He arrived on campus in 2015 and redshirted before appearing in four games in 2016.

MrGiggity 01-17-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13366529)
Story from CBS News:

PULLMAN, Wash. -- Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski has died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, police here say. The 21-year-old Hilinski was discovered in his apartment after he didn't show up for practice Tuesday.

A rifle "was recovered next to Hilinski and a suicide note was found," according to the Pullman Police Department, which added that, "Pullman Police detectives and the Whitman County Coroner's Office are conducting a thorough investigation to confirm the suspected cause and manner of death."

"We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Tyler's passing," Washington State coach Mike Leach said in a statement. "He was an incredible young man and everyone who had the privilege of knowing him was better for it. The entire WSU community mourns as thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Hilinski was the presumptive starting quarterback going into next season. He started Washington State's Holiday Bowl loss to Michigan State after Luke Falk was unable to play due to a wrist injury.

"The tragic news today surrounding Tyler Hilinski is devastating to all. Tyler was a tremendous individual, great friend and teammate, and he will be deeply missed. Our hearts go out to his family and friends," interim athletic director John Johnson said. "Earlier tonight, the football team was brought together and informed of the tragedy. There, they were met by campus and department counseling and psychological services, including athletics' on-staff clinical psychologist and a licensed mental health counselor, along with WSU Athletics medical team. The university will continue to coordinate and provide ongoing counseling care for all student-athletes as long as needed."

Hilinski appeared in eight games during his sophomore season, throwing for 1,176 yards and seven touchdowns. His most memorable outing came in the second week of the season when he led Washington State from a 21-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Boise State 47-44 in triple overtime. Hilinski threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns coming off the bench, and was carried off the field after the victory.

His only start came in the bowl game against Michigan State, although he played extensively in a loss to Arizona.

Former Washington State linebackers coach Roy Manning, who recently left for a position at UCLA, tweeted , "Words can't describe what I'm feeling right now. My heart is beyond saddened. Please pray for the family and all of us affected!"

Washington State's players took to social media in reaction to Hilinski's death.

"Ty you were a great teammate, friend, brother anything we needed you to be. You brought smiles to the people around you. I am sorry I could not be there for you when you needed a smile for yourself. Love you man," defensive back Skyler Thomas wrote on Twitter .

Fellow quarterback John Bledsoe also wrote on Twitter , "God, let Tyler find peace. Everyone please pray for the Hilinski family tonight. Heaven received a very special person."

Hilinski is from Claremont, California, and went to high school at nearby Upland. He arrived on campus in 2015 and redshirted before appearing in four games in 2016.

Thanks for posting.

Prison Bitch 01-17-2018 10:36 AM

Did he run the pistol or the shotgun ?

DaNewGuy 01-17-2018 10:39 AM

Man I hate hearing shit like this, rip man

BryanBusby 01-17-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13366532)

Shotgun

Why Not? 01-17-2018 10:43 AM

Jesus. That sucks. Hate it when a young person doesn't feel like there is any hope. Life gets so much better as you get older.

IowaHawkeyeChief 01-17-2018 10:45 AM

I lost a team mate and close friend in college who shot himself as well. He was a popular kid on the team and around campus. I found out later his family had a history of bi-polar. Mental illness is a bitch. RIP

Chiefshrink 01-17-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13366537)
Shotgun

Not funny.:shake::shake:

Sassy Squatch 01-17-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13366548)

Yeah it is.

Chiefshrink 01-17-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13366549)
Yeah it is.

Could you walk up to his parents right now and ask them the same question? "Hey did your son use the pistol or shotgun?"

Your lack of maturity/sensitivity to the situation has spoken volumes then.:shrug:

Coochie liquor 01-17-2018 11:08 AM

So sad. Prayers to the family and all affected! Suicide is the worst.

Sassy Squatch 01-17-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13366557)
Could you walk up to his parents right now and ask them the same question? "Hey did your son use the pistol or shotgun?"

Your lack of maturity/sensitivity to the situation has spoken volumes then.:shrug:

Sorry, not sorry. This website has a well known penchant for black humor.

Baby Lee 01-17-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13366629)
Sorry, not sorry. This website has a well known penchant for black humor.

Yeah, well known. But then sometimes it happens to be a pretty ****ing serious topic that hits close to home for a lot of people. If that's the case, WATCH OUT.

GloucesterChief 01-17-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Jump off a bridge you useless little piece of shit.

BryanBusby 01-17-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13366548)

The answer wasn't in a joke form.

Shut up you stupid ****ing quack.

Chiefshrink 01-17-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13366669)
The answer wasn't in a joke form.

Shut up you stupid ****ing quack.

Yeah right, you just wanted to coattail with PB. Get a clue !!

BryanBusby 01-17-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13366680)
Yeah right, you just wanted to coattail with PB. Get a clue !!

**** off dipshit

MahiMike 01-17-2018 11:36 AM

Man, that's crazy. What goes thru the heads of kids these days?

Dayze 01-17-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13366691)
Man, that's crazy. What goes thru the heads of kids these days?

I think I see what you did there.

Titty Meat 01-17-2018 11:50 AM

He was a gun slinger on and off the field

loochy 01-17-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

What does that have to do with anything? I really don't think he plans on walking up to the parents right now to ask them that.

Would you jump off of a tall building?

SAUTO 01-17-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

It was in the article. Rifle

dj56dt58 01-17-2018 01:18 PM

He wanted to make damn sure he didn't get drafted by Cleveland

stumppy 01-17-2018 01:23 PM

Had a rifle for an arm.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-17-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 13366925)
He wanted to make damn sure he didn't get drafted by John Elway

Fixed

Kman34 01-17-2018 01:27 PM

I love this place and hate it at the same time.....:facepalm:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-17-2018 01:36 PM

Mike Leach locked him in a utility closet. It was either that or starve to death.

GloucesterChief 01-17-2018 01:47 PM

As a coug fan and alumni of Wazzu: Everybody making jokes should swallow a bottle of aspirin and chase it with a fifth of jack. Hopefully you didn't reproduce and pollute the human genome with your defective genes.

Prison Bitch 01-17-2018 01:48 PM

Hard to imagine what was going thru his head.

Demonpenz 01-17-2018 01:52 PM

Selfish Prick. Now his family has to suffer forever.

MTG#10 01-17-2018 01:56 PM

People say he led with his heart but it was actually only in his head

vailpass 01-17-2018 01:58 PM

He audibled out.
Backup QB feeling mixed emotions.

Sassy Squatch 01-17-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13366964)
As a coug fan and alumni of Wazzu: Everybody making jokes should swallow a bottle of aspirin and chase it with a fifth of jack. Hopefully you didn't reproduce and pollute the human genome with your defective genes.

There was a little boy who got decapitated on a water slide, through absolutely no fault of his own, in the Kansas City area. He got made fun of. If that's not off limits, then some College kid in Washington willingly shooting himself in the head certainly isn't. It ****ing sucks that it happened, but get over yourself.

Prison Bitch 01-17-2018 02:00 PM

He was always good at the bullet pass.

Frosty 01-17-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Condolences from a PAC-12 brother. I live in eastern Washington in Cougar country and there are a lot of shocked and saddened people here. It's tragic that he felt death was his only option. Depression is a hell of a mental disease.

Jim Jones 01-17-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 13366972)
Selfish Prick. Now his family has to suffer forever.

Cannot be stated enough.

A sudden death of a loved one is always difficult, but nothing compares to a suicide. So many questions that will never be answered, so much self-doubt and wondering what you could have done.

Neighbors/family friends that live down the street from my parents went through a similar situation. It's been five years and their lives are still completely shattered. They used to join our family yearly on vacations/getaways or just neighborhood events. They moved away and are completely closed off from friends and family now, rarely ever seen or heard from. I don't think they've ever or will ever get past it.

Dayze 01-17-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13366988)
There was a little boy who got decapitated on a water slide, through absolutely no fault of his own, in the Kansas City area. He got made fun of. If that's not off limits, then some College kid in Washington willingly shooting himself in the head certainly isn't. It ****ing sucks that it happened, but get over yourself.

don't forget about the kid who go his feet lopped off on a roller coaster; not sure if it was here locally or not...but that thread was brutally funny with the puns.

Baby Lee 01-17-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13367083)
don't forget about the kid who go his feet lopped off on a roller coaster; not sure if it was here locally or not...but that thread was brutally funny with the puns.

Her feet, and the thread is in HoC

JD10367 01-17-2018 03:18 PM

No “bring him in for a look, he’d be better than Alex” yet? You guys are slipping.

Pablo 01-17-2018 03:24 PM

He knew this was the only way his name would ever make national headlines since nobody cares about Washington State football.

Prison Bitch 01-17-2018 03:42 PM

GloucesterChief: "You people disgust me! Joking about suicide? Why don't you go kill yourselves"

GloucesterChief 01-17-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13367144)
GloucesterChief: "You people disgust me! Joking about suicide? Why don't you go kill yourselves"

**** off and die you pathetic troll.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-17-2018 03:56 PM

Probably over some damn girl too

Dayze 01-17-2018 03:57 PM

maybe he was a hard core Saints fan?

Beef Supreme 01-17-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

That's right!!!! Everyone joking about this kid committing suicide should commit suicide!!!!:D

Pablo 01-17-2018 04:01 PM

He knew he was QBing a 10 loss team next year and took the easy way out. I'll be expecting similar news out of Lawrence sometime soon.

PAChiefsGuy 01-17-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones (Post 13367081)
Cannot be stated enough.

A sudden death of a loved one is always difficult, but nothing compares to a suicide. So many questions that will never be answered, so much self-doubt and wondering what you could have done.

Neighbors/family friends that live down the street from my parents went through a similar situation. It's been five years and their lives are still completely shattered. They used to join our family yearly on vacations/getaways or just neighborhood events. They moved away and are completely closed off from friends and family now, rarely ever seen or heard from. I don't think they've ever or will ever get past it.

That's unfair. most people's worst fear is death. To have so much pain that you actually want to kill yourself. It must be a really awful pain. It's not fair to judge someone like that unless you know what they were going through which you obviously don't.

Keep in mind most people who commit suicide do it because they feel their family will be better off without them. There is nothing selfish about that. Misinformed? okay but selfish? i don't see that.

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 06:42 PM

I heard a couple of NFL teams said he was a prospect worth dying for

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 06:43 PM

Investigators found his playbook and found a grammatical error for the audible call, instead of reading "kill kill kill" it said "die die die"

Bearcat 01-17-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13366648)
Yeah, well known. But then sometimes it happens to be a pretty ****ing serious topic that hits close to home for a lot of people. If that's the case, WATCH OUT.

Well, at least these threads will always exist for your passive aggressive soapbox bullshit.

PunkinDrublic 01-17-2018 07:29 PM

He really sank in the depth chart.

kccrow 01-17-2018 07:34 PM

Been about 10 years now since my cousin went out to the family barn and blew his head off with a shotgun. His parents still blame themselves, especially the father. They never got over it, and I'm certain they never will.

The worst is not knowing the real reason why, and its very seldom the person doing it ever leaves even a note to give you a hint.

Some real insensitive jackasses in this thread showing their true colors once again, but that's par for the course around here. You should pray you and your family is never affected by this.

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 07:39 PM

This kid really knew how to pull the trigger on quick passes

PunkinDrublic 01-17-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13367532)
This kid really knew how to pull the trigger on quick passes

Yeah but unfortunately he’s used up all of his eligibility.

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 07:51 PM

The plays this kid made in high school... I mean his stats were mind blowing

Al Bundy 01-17-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13367521)
Been about 10 years now since my cousin went out to the family barn and blew his head off with a shotgun. His parents still blame themselves, especially the father. They never got over it, and I'm certain they never will.

The worst is not knowing the real reason why, and its very seldom the person doing it ever leaves even a note to give you a hint.

Some real insensitive jackasses in this thread showing their true colors once again, but that's par for the course around here. You should pray you and your family is never affected by this.

A friend of mine committed suicide the day before the Royals came back to beat the Astros in the playoffs. I haven't been able to re-watch any of those highlights with any sort of joy because of that.

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 07:57 PM

I don't know what's wrong with me... I can't stop after seeing the "white knight" posts I just felt the need let it all go, and shoot from the hip

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 08:01 PM

This kid had a shot at being drafted

BleedingRed 01-17-2018 08:03 PM

Someone please stop me, because this is going to get old real quick. I'd rather go out with a bang

PunkinDrublic 01-17-2018 08:51 PM

He needs another losing season like he needs another hole in the head.

Frosty 01-17-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13367521)

Hilinski supposedly left a note, though, or course, it hasn't been leaked what it said.

TLO 01-17-2018 09:47 PM

Good lord 90% of this thread is a cesspool. :shake:

vailpass 01-17-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13367738)
Good lord 90% of this thread is a cesspool. :shake:

Looks like he turned in his playbook.

Prison Bitch 01-17-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 13367630)
He needs another losing season like he needs another hole in the head.

He was the brains of that outfit

ohiobronco2 01-18-2018 06:48 PM

This is one blow to the head the targeting penalties can't eliminate.

jimidollar 01-18-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 13367190)
He knew he was QBing a 10 loss team next year and took the easy way out. I'll be expecting similar news out of Lawrence sometime soon.

A dead QB could improve the team in Lawrence.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-13-2022 08:22 PM

Still a better QB than Drew Lock

JohnnyHammersticks 04-13-2022 08:29 PM

You spelled Derek Carr wrong

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-13-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 16245131)
You spelled Derek Carr wrong

I was waiting for this joke and you didn't disappoint. :clap:

Red Dawg 04-13-2022 08:49 PM

Very sad.

Coochie liquor 04-13-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16245149)
Very sad.

This. **** suicide.

Rasputin 04-13-2022 10:41 PM

Maybe I should take a gun and blow out my brains hope you all laugh about it

I'll just Belcher myself

there I got one in for you .