ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Movie Will Be R-Rated; Zeroing in on Writer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312171)

Tribal Warfare 12-07-2017 08:30 PM

Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Movie Will Be R-Rated; Zeroing in on Writer

http://collider.com/quentin-tarantin...mpression=true

The Curious Case of Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek Movie keeps getting weirder and weirder. The news itself was the first off-the-wall idea, with word breaking earlier this week that Tarantino had pitched an idea for a Star Trek movie to producer J.J. Abrams, who sparked to the pitch and quickly made this official. A writers room was assembled incredibly quickly, and Tarantino spent hours with scribes Mark L. Smith (The Revenant), Lindsey Beer (Chaos Walking), and Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3) to kick around ideas on how to tackle Tarantino’s approach.

Per Deadline, Smith is currently the frontrunner to land the job, but the bigger news is that this Star Trek movie will be R-rated. This was a condition of Tarantino being involved, and one that both Abrams and Paramount agreed to. It’s a first for the franchise, but Paramount is in something of a bind as the series has yet to really take off the way it had hoped at the box office, so clearly they’ve sparked to this left-field idea of having Quentin Freaking Tarantino direct it.

There’s no guarantee Tarantino will direct this movie, but the idea is for the winning scribe to work on the screenplay while the Inglourious Basterds filmmaker shoots his next movie next summer. If the script is to Tarantino’s liking, he’ll direct this Star Trek movie.

Now, Tarantino has been pretty adamant about the fact that he’s only making 10 films and then he’s retiring. His 1969-set Manson Murders drama that he’s shooting next summer is #9, which would make Star Trek #10 if he indeed makes it. Would he stick to his retirement plan? Would Quentin Tarantino really go out directing a blockbuster written by someone other than himself? I have a hard time believing it, so my guess is A. Tarantino simply produces and/or gets a “Story By” credit and someone else directs this movie or B. Tarantino makes one more original movie after Trek.

Regardless, this whole thing is kind of insane and it’s moving really fast. Tarantino usually takes quite a bit of time between projects, but thus far everything about this Star Trek movie has been atypical for the Oscar-winning writer/director. We’ll likely hear more soon, but what do you think about an R-rated Star Trek movie folks?

BigRedChief 12-07-2017 08:42 PM

Taratino is only going to make 1 more movie after the Manson movie? WTF? Why?

RealSNR 12-08-2017 12:02 AM

JJ Abrams is a ****ing chode.

Simply Red 12-08-2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13268886)
JJ Abrams is a ****ing chode.

as is Tarantino

notorious 12-08-2017 07:24 AM

Tarantino is making a Star Trek movie? WTF?

Is it going to have slow, interesting dialogue or non-stop insanely graphic gore and action?

He is not the man for Star Trek.

Fish 12-08-2017 07:35 AM

First time the N word will be used predominantly in a scifi space movie....?

threebag 12-08-2017 07:35 AM

How many times will they drop the N word in space?

threebag 12-08-2017 07:36 AM

Damn you fish...:cuss:

Fish 12-08-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13269061)
Damn you fish...:cuss:

At 7:35 in the morning no less. Suck it! :D

siberian khatru 12-08-2017 08:48 AM

That sounds like an SNL skit

vailpass 12-08-2017 09:31 AM

Naked green bitches?
In.

Barret 12-08-2017 11:12 AM

Qa'Pla MotherF-er

https://imgur.com/gallery/CVJrh

InChiefsHeaven 12-08-2017 11:28 AM

Tarantino doing a Manson movie...I'm actually afraid to watch that...

sully1983 12-08-2017 04:25 PM

I'm down for another Star Trek film for sure. Just hope its a step up from Star Trek Beyond. That was a pretty disappointing film (and featured such a lame villain ) .

I trust Tarantino to shoot some adrenaline into the franchise.

bowener 12-08-2017 05:04 PM

WTF is this going to be? I'm fascinated. My completely unsupported assumption is a war film showing a battle between the federation and the klingons. I can't imagine the R rating comes from sex or a heavy use of language unless they story is incredible.

BigRedChief 12-08-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13270121)
I'm down for another Star Trek film for sure. Just hope its a step up from Star Trek Beyond. That was a pretty disappointing film (and featured such a lame villain ) .

I trust Tarantino to shoot some adrenaline into the franchise.

the fans have been screaming for a Klingon v Federation movie for 30 years. Not that BS Discovery Klingons crap either. It could easily be a great action movie outside of just fanboys.

Nickhead 12-08-2017 05:41 PM

how is quent's gonna fit in kill bill volume 3? :D

Bowser 12-08-2017 08:52 PM

I actually think this would be just the shot of adrenaline the Star Trek franchise might need. I'd be all in on seeing a Tarantino penned Star Trek movie.

Fish 12-08-2017 10:05 PM

Holy ****ing shit!

https://www.space.com/39027-patrick-...tarantino.html

Tribal Warfare 12-08-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13270647)

Kirk and the Enterprise time travels to the extended future after visiting his father(Chris Helmsworth)?

Why Not? 12-08-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13268909)
as is Tarantino

Perhaps. But his movies are ****ing gold.

DaneMcCloud 12-08-2017 10:20 PM

Star Trek is dead.

Tarantino either revives it or it’s dead.

My money is on T.

GloucesterChief 12-08-2017 10:34 PM

This could either be completely awesome or downright terrible. There will be no in between.

007 12-09-2017 12:37 AM

Anything to get it off its current trek.

Jamie 12-09-2017 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13270656)
Kirk and the Enterprise time travels to the extended future after visiting his father(Chris Helmsworth)?

I remember on a podcast once Tarantino talked at length about how Yesterday's Enterprise is one of his favorite episodes, so maybe something like that is where he takes it.

Tribal Warfare 12-09-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 13270804)
I remember on a podcast once Tarantino talked at length about how Yesterday's Enterprise is one of his favorite episodes, so maybe something like that is where he takes it.

IIRC, the 1st treatment of the said script had an adult Kirk meeting with his father in the past.

unlurking 12-09-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13270647)

I'm totally down for a Tarantino / Stewart team up.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/95...b11a400255.jpg

Pepe Silvia 12-09-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13270662)
Perhaps. But his movies are ****ing gold.

Did you like the movie where he had Kurt Russell play a lunatic stunt man that gets punched and kicked 50,000 times?

BigRedChief 12-09-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13270670)
Star Trek is dead.

My money is on T.

whats the dish on Tartino, do people out there really think he's only doing one more movie ever after he finishes Manson?

Why Not? 12-09-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 13271370)
Did you like the movie where he had Kurt Russell play a lunatic stunt man that gets punched and kicked 50,000 times?

Death Proof? Yep. I have loved every film QT has ever been involved with.

vailpass 12-09-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13271409)
Death Proof? Yep. I have loved every film QT has ever been involved with.

X2

unlurking 12-09-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13271427)
X2

X3

Deberg_1990 12-09-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13270670)
Star Trek is dead.

My money is on T.

Sure, why not. Desperation move by Paramount

But im down, its QT

Just Passin' By 12-09-2017 05:42 PM

"Klingon, mother****er, do you speak it?"

BigRedChief 12-09-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13271460)
Sure, why not. Desperation move by Paramount

But im down, its QT

if it's going to be Tarantino's last movie, I guess his take on Science Fiction/Star Trek would be a worthwhile homage to the genre.

Mennonite 12-09-2017 08:39 PM

"When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said Dead Tribble Storage?"

Both Tarantino and Nu Trek blow, so this is a match made in heaven.

DaneMcCloud 12-09-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13271793)
if it's going to be Tarantino's last movie, I guess his take on Science Fiction/Star Trek would be a worthwhile homage to the genre.

I just hope that it's the violence that's R-rated and not the language.

Seeing people ripped to shreds after an attack by alien species is one thing but hearing Kirk, McCoy or any of the other main characters say **** or shit or any other curse word would totally lose most Trekkers.

But hell yeah, bring on the Saving Private Ryan type of violence.

unlurking 12-10-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13271793)

I'm guessing this won't count as his last movie, as I seriously doubt he will have the amount of control he's used to. This won't be a Tarantino flick, it will be a Star Trek by Tarantino flick. Just my guess anyway.

BigRedChief 12-10-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13271863)
I just hope that it's the violence that's R-rated and not the language.

Seeing people ripped to shreds after an attack by alien species is one thing but hearing Kirk, McCoy or any of the other main characters say **** or shit or any other curse word would totally lose most Trekkers.

But hell yeah, bring on the Saving Private Ryan type of violence.

There is no way that Taratino would shy away from the violence in his Sci-Fi adaptation. He's always done that within any genre he's ever done. There is a track record of a lot of violence in our Sci-Fi movies. There is already a precedent.

But, I'm with you on the language. It would be way out of place to have Kirk saying **** and shit throughout the movie. It would distract within the movie.

unlurking 12-10-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13272236)
There is no way that Taratino would shy away from the violence in his Sci-Fi adaptation. He's always done that within any genre he's ever done. There is a track record of a lot of violence in our Sci-Fi movies. There is already a precedent.

But, I'm with you on the language. It would be way out of place to have Kirk saying **** and shit throughout the movie. It would distract within the movie.

I'd be OK with a movie in the Star Trek universe that had nothing to do with the Enterprise. Maybe focus on a squad of Starfleet Marines during the Klingon war? Maybe something to do with Section 31? Would be cool to see a movie from the point of view of an alien race as well.

Would give a little more leeway for language.

ChiefAshhole1056 12-11-2017 01:22 AM

Never got into the whole Star Trek series, and outside of one of the newer ones on a plane, never watched all the way through any of the movies. Just not my thing.

I will be buying my midnight showing ticket months in advance for this. QT is gold.

TinyEvel 12-12-2017 05:12 PM

About ten years ago I was recording a VO for a Tv campaign at a recording studio in Studio City/Hollywood. Walking back to my car after the session a guy who looked like a fat Quentin Tarantino came walking down the sidewalk towards me talking to another guy.

He gets closer and I realize it's actually him. He says bye to the other guy and j-walks across (4-lanes) Ventura Boulevard. Walking kind of funny almost limping.

He walks up to a late 1970's American sedan parked at the curb (like a Ford Torino or Monte Carlo type car) he opens the trunk, pulls out a gallon plastic jug containing some kind of liquid (hooch of some sort, I gathered) and takes a huge swig. Puts it back in the trunk, and gets in and pulls away.

It was like he was a character in one of his own movies.

Ragged Robin 12-12-2017 06:39 PM

Sounds really dumb and out of place. Tarantino should just write his own sci fi flick without all the restrictions and corporate baggage.

Beef Supreme 12-13-2017 01:29 AM

Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder on Vulcan?

Frazod 12-13-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13279307)
About ten years ago I was recording a VO for a Tv campaign at a recording studio in Studio City/Hollywood. Walking back to my car after the session a guy who looked like a fat Quentin Tarantino came walking down the sidewalk towards me talking to another guy.

He gets closer and I realize it's actually him. He says bye to the other guy and j-walks across (4-lanes) Ventura Boulevard. Walking kind of funny almost limping.

He walks up to a late 1970's American sedan parked at the curb (like a Ford Torino or Monte Carlo type car) he opens the trunk, pulls out a gallon plastic jug containing some kind of liquid (hooch of some sort, I gathered) and takes a huge swig. Puts it back in the trunk, and gets in and pulls away.

LMAO Great story

BigRedChief 12-13-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

That sounds like something he would do. Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

Kman34 12-13-2017 06:18 PM

Captain Kirk " Say what one more time mother****er!"
Klingon Captain "What??!!"
Captain Kirk and Spock blow the Klingon apart with Fasers...

Deberg_1990 12-13-2017 08:16 PM

"Are you sure it isnt time for a colorful metaphor Admiral?"

vailpass 12-13-2017 09:46 PM

Please Jesus god no Samuel L. In this movie.

Hammock Parties 12-13-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13281948)
"Are you sure it isnt time for a colorful metaphor Admiral?"

ROFLROFLROFL

I ****ing love you sometimes.

Hammock Parties 12-13-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

And then this music played:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rNkwKR04tPQ?ecver=1" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 12-13-2017 10:07 PM

It's a pity Disney had no balls and didn't get Tarantino to do the Han Solo film.

Because THAT would have rocked.

Rausch 12-14-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13282131)
It's a pity Disney had no balls and didn't get Tarantino to do the Han Solo film.

It would have made much more sense than what they did.

Tarantino would have shot first...

patteeu 12-15-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13282096)
Please Jesus god no Samuel L. In this movie.

He could play Mace Windu in an alternative universe story.

unlurking 12-15-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13284871)
He could play Mace Windu in an alternative universe story.

I'd actually love him to do a brief cameo. Sitting in a red shirt in 10 Forward, surrounded by a small group of new crew, worried about their first mission. Then the grizzly old veteran dives into a Tarantion monologue...

SLJ: "See this red shirt? See this black skin? Ain't nothing but a mother****in' death sentence. You wanna live? You gotta be smart. You do not EVER leave this mother****in' ship! You hear what I'm saying?! You NEVER get off the boat! No matter what the port or planet, you DO NOT leave this mother****ing ship!"

SLJ: "See here. I got this mother ****er figured out. I'm on my very last tour and then I'm done with a sweet ass pension and pimped out ride I built from parts smuggled outta the shuttle bay. The key is, you got ta find a job that they will NEVER EVER need on an away mission. Why do you think I joined the sanitation crew? Bitch I got 16 degrees and 4 nobel prizes. I clean toilets cuz it keeps me alive, never leaving this ship."

SLJ: "You think I like cleaning toilets? You see what them blue folk eat? Maaaannn those mother****ers clog up the pipes all over the ship. And the Captain?! That bald ass mother****er shits out a brown stew you can smell 3 decks away plugs shit up like cement. ****. Cleaning toilets for almost 40 years on this bitch. One last..."

PA: "Crewman Jackson, please report to transport room A for an away mission. Crewman Jackson, please report to transporter room A for an away mission."

Deberg_1990 12-16-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13282131)

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, M*therfucker.”

BigRedChief 11-22-2018 12:57 AM

Found this interview with Tarantino where he goes full Star Trek nerd. Maybe he does chose Star Trek as his last movie?

https://youtu.be/rzNnfKT6IrM

007 11-22-2018 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13909580)
Found this interview with Tarantino where he goes full Star Trek nerd. Maybe he does chose Star Trek as his last movie?

https://youtu.be/rzNnfKT6IrM

I really hope he does one Star Trek movie. Would most likely be the best one ever made.

Baby Lee 11-22-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13269056)
First time the N word will be used predominantly in a scifi space movie....?

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13269058)
How many times will they drop the N word in space?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7abI...zmQrcc/200.gif

BigRedChief 12-01-2022 08:50 AM

Taratino said on a comedians podcast that he already has a serialized 8 episode story arc written and done for his first TV project after his 10th and final movie is done.

AdolfOliverBush 12-01-2022 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16636937)
Taratino said on a comedians podcast that he already has a serialized 8 episode story arc written and done for his first TV project after his 10th and final movie is done.

I hope he reconsiders retiring, as long as he can improve upon "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which was by far his worst movie IMO. I think this is the interview you mentioned:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WCx67cnQQf8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 12-01-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16636982)
I hope he reconsiders retiring, as long as he can improve upon "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which was by far his worst movie IMO. I think this is the interview you mentioned:

I think time will be kind to OUaTiH. It's the first movie in a long time that brought the same assessment energy that The Big Lebowski did, where people go into the movie with expectations and are disappointed, and then when they think back on what the movie actually was instead of what they expected, they appreciate it more and more.

I was disappointed immediately after watching it the first time, but a lot of it stuck with me and when I rewatched it calibrated to what he was actually trying to do it rose exponentially in my assessment. I'd put it in my favorites of his, and I'm a certified fan of ALL his stuff and have been since the jump.

Over time, The H8ful Eight will be his worst movie, because it's basically a stage play in a cinematic setting, just talking and talking and telling stories of stuff that happened elsewhere in a room.

staylor26 12-01-2022 10:33 AM

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a ****ing classic and easily in QT's top 5.

ToxSocks 12-01-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16637116)

Oooof idk. He's got a lot of great movies.

I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too. But one of his top 5? I'd have to put more thought into that.

ToxSocks 12-01-2022 10:46 AM

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Bastards
Django
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Death Proof
Dusk Till Dawn

And then do you count movies he wrote the screen play for? Like Natural Born Killers?

Man, he's got quite the selection of excellent movies.

Easy 6 12-01-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16637140)
And then do you count movies he wrote the screen play for? Like Natural Born Killers?

Don't forget True Romance

AdolfOliverBush 12-01-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16637116)

I know many people agree with you, but I feel it's his worst.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django unchained, and both Kill Bill movies are vastly superior IMO.

Baby Lee 12-01-2022 11:18 AM

Crimson Tide . . .

But yeah, True Romance was his best non-directing writing credit.

Easy 6 12-01-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16637203)
Crimson Tide . . .

But yeah, True Romance was his best non-directing writing credit.

I'm kinda torn between TR and NBK, love' em both

NBK was gonzo, while TR was a straight ahead story... NBK a much bigger hit tho

Bowser 12-01-2022 12:19 PM

Natural Born Killers was like a bad acid trip

ToxSocks 12-01-2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16637367)
Natural Born Killers was like a bad acid trip

One of my first memorable "favorite" movies.

Mephistopheles Janx 12-01-2022 01:31 PM

Dude needs to stay miles the **** away from Trek.

Easy 6 12-01-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 16637506)

I dunno, he might be a pleasant surprise with sci-fi

KC_Connection 12-01-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Why? Star Trek Discovery exists. Nobody could ever do worse than that.

Mephistopheles Janx 12-01-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16637547)
Why? Star Trek Discovery exists. Nobody could ever do worse than that.

QT makes a specific kind of film and I just don't see how the tone of his films can ever possibly work in Trek.

It will, more than likely, turn into some overly bloody and ultra violent romp through space and I just couldn't possibly care less for it. Use a franchise that lends itself to that type of writing... like Alien or Predator.

I just don't want him to teabag Trek... and that is exactly what I expect he would do.

---

I would love to be wrong though because I love Trek and if he were to make a worthy entry into the cannon I wouldn't hold it against him.

ToxSocks 12-01-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

He's the best producer/director to ever take on the project.

mkp785 12-01-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16636982)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WCx67cnQQf8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought I was the only one who hated "Once Upon a Time..."

That deserved none of the love it got nor did Pitt deserve the Oscar, though he was very good in the film. QT has put out significantly better movies over the years.

Jackie Brown was 10x the movie that "Once Upon a Time..." was and never got remotely the same attention.

mkp785 12-01-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16637088)
I think time will be kind to OUaTiH. It's the first movie in a long time that brought the same assessment energy that The Big Lebowski did, where people go into the movie with expectations and are disappointed, and then when they think back on what the movie actually was instead of what they expected, they appreciate it more and more.

I was disappointed immediately after watching it the first time, but a lot of it stuck with me and when I rewatched it calibrated to what he was actually trying to do it rose exponentially in my assessment. I'd put it in my favorites of his, and I'm a certified fan of ALL his stuff and have been since the jump.

Over time, The H8ful Eight will be his worst movie, because it's basically a stage play in a cinematic setting, just talking and talking and telling stories of stuff that happened elsewhere in a room.

Hateful 8 was great until that disaster of an ending. Don't what was going on there. Everything after Sam Jackson lines them up against the wall was stupid.

ToxSocks 12-01-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 16637860)
I thought I was the only one who hated "Once Upon a Time..."

I feel like i enjoyed it quite a bit more on the 2nd watch. Admittedly teh 1st watch left me feeling a bit disappointed. I found a lot more value in it the 2nd time around.

Kiimo 12-01-2022 06:37 PM

I absolutely loved Once Upon a Time