ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU Kansas and Mizzouri set to renew college basketball rivalry? - Possibly this weekend (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310773)

TLO 10-12-2017 01:11 PM

Kansas and Mizzouri set to renew college basketball rivalry? - Possibly this weekend

Details sketchy at the moment, but both 810 and 610 in the KC area are reporting that this is a "strong likelihood" that the game will happen at the Sprint Center within the next couple of weeks. (And possibly as early as this Sunday - or a week from Sunday)

Reports are that proceeds from the game will be given to Hurricane relief efforts.

More to come

DanBecky 10-12-2017 01:15 PM

Sounds like a week from Sunday

Lzen 10-12-2017 01:16 PM

In the next couple of weeks? That's not how it works. Schedules are already done for the upcoming season. I think you're full of crap.

eDave 10-12-2017 01:17 PM

Kansas adds another cream puff team to their schedule. Nice.

TLO 10-12-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13144682)
In the next couple of weeks? That's not how it works. Schedules are already done for the upcoming season. I think you're full of crap.

I'm not full of anything. I'm simply reporting what I heard on the radio as of a few minutes ago

Lzen 10-12-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13144687)
I'm not full of anything. I'm simply reporting what I heard on the radio as of a few minutes ago

Sorry, perhaps that was a little harsh. However, if there is any truth to this then there's gotta be more. I just read on Phog that they said something about it being an exhibition and they'd have to get a waiver from the NCAA.

TLO 10-12-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13144701)
Sorry, perhaps that was a little harsh. However, if there is any truth to this then there's gotta be more. I just read on Phog that they said something about it being an exhibition and they'd have to get a waiver from the NCAA.

It's all good. I can't find anything in print about it, the only reports I can find anything regarding it are on the radio at the moment. May not even end up happening at all, but it's an interesting idea.

BWillie 10-12-2017 01:44 PM

Why would KU do this? It only benefits KU if they get a football game too. KU gets no benefit from basketball, but some benefit if they schedule football. Self has said he would never play MU.

My guess to what happening is Missouri is offering publicly to play exhibition and proceeds go to hurricane relief so that if KU refuses, they can say KU is against helping those effected by hurricane. Scummy ploy, IMO.

BWillie 10-12-2017 01:45 PM

Also, it is against NCAA rules to play exhibition against other D1 opponents.

duncan_idaho 10-12-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144769)
Why would KU do this? It only benefits KU if they get a football game too. KU gets no benefit from basketball, but some benefit if they schedule football. Self has said he would never play MU.

My guess to what happening is Missouri is offering publicly to play exhibition and proceeds go to hurricane relief so that if KU refuses, they can say KU is against helping those effected by hurricane. Scummy ploy, IMO.

It sounds like Self proposed it.

Perhaps Self is looking at it as a way to be a good human being and raise some money for those who desperately need it.

Sounds like he and Martin are friendly, too. Wouldn't be surprised if this is an indication of a true thawing of Self's attitude towards playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duncan_idaho 10-12-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144771)

They would be seeking a waiver for this component, citing the good it can do for those in need.

Knowing the NCAA, they'll shoot it down.

RockChalk 10-12-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144771)

Hence the waiver.

This is happening. Exhibition game with current players, provided the NCAA approves. Since the organization needs all of the goodwill it can get, the waiver request should be accepted.

duncan_idaho 10-12-2017 02:17 PM

This now seems like the appropriate place to share this:

https://youtu.be/TM09fcA6DDo

kepp 10-12-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

ROFL Yeah, it couldn't possibly be because both institutions want to help hurricane victims.

KCUnited 10-12-2017 02:21 PM

YES! Looking forward to reading some fresh KU/MU back and forth! /no one

bdj23 10-12-2017 02:22 PM

Seems like an odd thing to do. An exhibition game between two fanbases that loathe each other for a humanitarian effort.

Sure to sell tickets though, so what do i know?

Pasta Little Brioni 10-12-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

This is bambi level dumbness

TribalElder 10-12-2017 02:30 PM

They waited too long but I guess it's better than never

eDave 10-12-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

LOL

BWillie 10-12-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13144863)
This is bambi level dumbness

Why? Self has repeatedly gone out of his way to indicate he will NEVER play Missouri in basketball while he is there. I personally am one of the very few KU fans who want to play MU, but only if it is basketball and football. And I want to do it when it counts, in the regular season.

My guess is this will be an alumni game instead of ONLY KU current players etc. Maybe Bill has had a change of heart, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy for that. Like Missouri leaving legitimately pissed him off.

TribalElder 10-12-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144936)
Why? Self has repeatedly gone out of his way to indicate he will NEVER play Missouri in basketball while he is there. I personally am one of the very few KU fans who want to play MU, but only if it is basketball and football. And I want to do it when it counts, in the regular season.

My guess is this will be an alumni game instead of ONLY KU current players etc. Maybe Bill has had a change of part, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy for that. Like Missouri leaving legitimately pissed him off.

It's not a real game though?

seclark 10-12-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13144855)
YES! Looking forward to reading some fresh KU/MU back and forth! /no one

ROFL

TribalElder 10-12-2017 02:56 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9547TUY_kV...600/fight2.jpg

The rivalry is back!

Pitt Gorilla 10-12-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

My guess is this will be an alumni game instead of ONLY KU current players etc. Maybe Bill has had a change of heart, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy for that. Like Missouri leaving legitimately pissed him off.

I honestly don't care if MU and KU play, but Bill should probably stop being such an emotional bitch regarding MU leaving for the SEC. Perhaps this is a sign that he's maturing a bit.

BWillie 10-12-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13144974)
I honestly don't care if MU and KU play, but Bill should probably stop being such an emotional bitch regarding MU leaving for the SEC. Perhaps this is a sign that he's maturing a bit.

He is mad at how they left, not that they left. If they would have been up front about it like Texas A&M & Nebraska, he wouldn't care.

Chiefspants 10-12-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

He's been softening his position for a while. Just a couple of years back he said the Big 12 wasn't the same without Mizzzzou.

I miss the rivalry. Nothing compared to Lawrence/AFH during a Mizzou game.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-12-2017 03:06 PM

Burrito still bitches out on playing the Shockers. Nothing to do with the move.

gblowfish 10-12-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13144978)
He's been softening his position for a while. Just a couple of years back he said the Big 12 wasn't the same without Mizzzzou.

I miss the rivalry. Nothing compared to Lawrence/AFH during a Mizzou game.

You're spelling Mizzzzou wrong. There's six z's not four.

Kiimo 10-12-2017 05:33 PM

oh sure Self was the bitch in this situation. Not then entire University of Missouri.

Titty Meat 10-12-2017 06:37 PM

Fake news

Spott 10-12-2017 07:32 PM

Meh, there's no rivalry anymore and never will be.

TLO 10-12-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13145319)
oh sure Self was the bitch in this situation. Not then entire University of Missouri.

SEC SEC SEC!

Bowser 10-12-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144977)
He is mad at how they left, not that they left. If they would have been up front about it like Texas A&M & Nebraska, he wouldn't care.

Maybe Self and Keitzman can say mean things about Missouri leaving as they spoon with each other.

And I'm actually glad it's basketball playing each other, not football*.

*never, ever thought I would say that

TLO 10-12-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144977)

Amen

saphojunkie 10-12-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Missouri should stop sucking complete ****ing donkey balls in every sport as well as administration and attendance but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon

Demonpenz 10-13-2017 01:33 AM

They should raise aids awarenwas within Mizzou's spread offense

patteeu 10-13-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

It looks like Self is caving and KU is crawling back.

Lzen 10-13-2017 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13146210)

Crawling back? Oh good God, the delusional MU fans are gonna be unbearable.

Chiefspants 10-13-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13146210)

http://rockchalkblog.com/wp-content/...4/02/block.gif

patteeu 10-13-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13146254)

LMAO

dlphg9 10-13-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13146257)

Looks like a clear foul to me

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13146292)

Anywhere but Allen Fieldhouse...

Mr. Plow 10-13-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146330)

We pay the refs well.

Rausch 10-13-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13146254)

If you think the NFL fans got pissed over the Kneeling/Fisting/Standing debate you have no idea how pissed MU fans/donors are now.

TLO 10-13-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13146369)
If you think the NFL fans got pissed over the Kneeling/Fisting/Standing debate you have no idea how pissed MU fans/donors are now.

Pissed about what? Having a football team that's worse than Kansas?

TLO 10-13-2017 09:28 AM

Just kidding Rausch (kinda) :)

Rausch 10-13-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13146403)
Pissed about what? Having a football team that's worse than Kansas?

I can't tell you how many people (with money, not average Joe's like me) have said they're done. Completely out.

The Boomers are not plugged in to the Youtube/Facebook generation and are shocked at what they find once their kids convince them to buy a Roku or actually log in.

BWillie 10-13-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13146292)

Wrong. You have control of your airspace. Robinson is waiting for the offensive player, hes holding his ground & has control over that piece of the court. You can jump to block the shot and remain "set"

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13146456)
Wrong. You have control of your airspace. Robinson is waiting for the offensive player, hes holding his ground & has control over that piece of the court. You can jump to block the shot and remain "set"

While this interpretation of space/the rules is correct, it doesn't apply to this situation.

Robinson is standing to the left (from camera angle) of the basket when he jumps. He moves forward in the air and blocks the shot on the right (from camera angle) of the basket.

He doesn't just jump straight up, in which case it would clearly not be a foul. He jumps up and forward, which is what gives him the angle to actually block the shot (as if he had jumped straight up, he would have been on the left side of the basket).

Most officials blown the whistle on plays like that if there is any sort of body-to-body contact.

It's not clear cut either way, but had the situation been reversed, and that was Taylor driving against a Missouri player, the whistle in all likelihood would have blown. And you know it.

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13146443)
I can't tell you how many people (with money, not average Joe's like me) have said they're done. Completely out.

The Boomers are not plugged in to the Youtube/Facebook generation and are shocked at what they find once their kids convince them to buy a Roku or actually log in.

Are you taking about Mizzou boosters?

Sterk raised the money for the South End Zone expansion in record time, with no helps from Mack the Ghost.

I'm know they have lost some folks (and again, I'm still not sure what those snowflakes are expecting to have happened post-protest, as changes have been made at all levels), but the well isn't exactly dry.

Rausch 10-13-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146488)

Sterk raised the money for the South End Zone expansion in record time, with no helps from Mack the Ghost.

And who gave those donations?

Quote:

I'm know they have lost some folks (and again, I'm still not sure what those snowflakes are expecting to have happened post-protest, as changes have been made at all levels), but the well isn't exactly dry.

The local well is dry (which is what Mizzou depends on for both talent and enrollment) and enrollment has proven that out.

gblowfish 10-13-2017 10:07 AM

I think this is great. Makes a lot of sense, don't mean nuthin, and will raise a lot of money for a very good cause. Win-Win.

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 10:10 AM

Kansas and Mizzouri set to renew college basketball rivalry? - Possibly this weekend

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13146507)
And who gave those donations?

The local well is dry (which is what Mizzou depends on for both talent and enrollment) and enrollment has proven that out.

Mizzou fans, presumably, gave those donations. I'm missing your point.

The enrollment drop has been an issue. The university is working to address it (turning over leadership, taking steps to foster better communication with students.)

They knew a drop was coming because of changing situations in neighboring states that were going to send fewer Illinois kids to Columbia, and because there was a 10-12 percent drop in graduating seniors in Mizzou's primary enrollment areas.

The protests and fallout made it worse. Some minorities have been turned off because they're concerned about the situation on campus. Some white people have been turned off by the protests. It has hurt them on both ends of the spectrum, which sucks.

But I'll ask again, since you say you're done: What did you expect the university to do in reaction?

All key leadership (president, chancellor): changed

Melissa Click: denied tenure and therefore disposed of in a clean, legal way with no potential for drawn out lawsuits alleging violations of her first amendment rights, which were a very real threat has she been terminated immediately like so many wanted

Football coach: gone

Strength coach/scapegoat: gone

What else do you need/want to see? I'm asking seriously, because I can't get anyone who is still turned off by the protests to answer that question.

patteeu 10-13-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13146519)
I think this is great. Makes a lot of sense, don't mean nuthin, and will raise a lot of money for a very good cause. Win-Win.

Nuthin except KU and all of it's fans returning to the rivalry with their tail feathers between their legs. :)

Rausch 10-13-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146526)
Mizzou fans, presumably, gave those donations.

No.

Quote:

The enrollment drop has been an issue. The university is working to address it (turning over leadership, taking steps to foster better communication with students.)

Good.

That type of change is needed.

Quote:

They knew a drop was coming because of changing situations in neighboring states that were going to send fewer Illinois kids to Columbia, and because there was a 10-12 percent drop in graduating seniors in Mizzou's primary enrollment areas.

But I'll ask again, since you say you're done: What did you expect the university to do in reaction?

End the madness.

Pitt Gorilla 10-13-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13146332)
We pay the refs well.

you misspelled players. :)

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13146543)
No.

Good.

That type of change is needed.

End the madness.

What madness, though?

What do you want ended?

Edit: also, are you saying that Sterk was able to collect $100 million in donations from non-Mizzou fans?

That's seems... unlikely.

People don't pony up seven-figure checks for a football construction Project if they aren't fans.

Chiefspants 10-13-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146482)
It's not clear cut either way, but had the situation been reversed, and that was Taylor driving against a Missouri player, the whistle in all likelihood would have blown. And you know it.

This is absolutely correct.

Pitt Gorilla 10-13-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

season tickets for basketball are sold out; Mizzou fan wants a good product and doesn’t give a flying **** about the other stuff. If Mizzou football was winning, they’d be fine as well.

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13146554)
season tickets for basketball are sold out; Mizzou fan wants a good product and doesn’t give a flying **** about the other stuff. If Mizzou football was winning, they’d be fine as well.

Correct.

The disastrous product on the basketball court (thanks Mike Alden/Tim Wolfe!) and the football field (thanks, Mack Rhoades!) have also hurt enrollment. Probably another five percent chunk.

Mr. Plow 10-13-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13146548)

We take care of the players in the off season. Refs are a game by game basis.

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13146565)
We take care of the players in the off season. Refs are a game by game basis.

"Welcome to the first day of your internship at Morningstar Industries..."

DanBecky 10-13-2017 11:25 AM

God, I just pray for no injuries on either side. That would completely ruin the season before it technically begins.

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBecky (Post 13146649)
God, I just pray for no injuries on either side. That would completely ruin the season before it technically begins.

Knowing what typically happens to Missouri, Michael Porter Jr will break a hand or blow out a knee or something.

dlphg9 10-13-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13146456)

He's jumping at him and hits him in the head at the end. That gets called all the time.

patteeu 10-13-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13146659)
He's jumping at him and hits him in the head at the end. That gets called all the time.

KU fans like BWillie aren't used to straight up officiating.

gblowfish 10-13-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146654)
Knowing what typically happens to Missouri, Michael Porter Jr will break a hand or blow out a knee or something.

The basketball version of Tony Van Zandt.

Kiimo 10-13-2017 12:09 PM

MU fans not understanding the rules of basketball enough to accurately discuss the Robinson block will never stop being hilarious.

sedated 10-13-2017 12:17 PM

This thread is exactly why I'm glad these schools don't play each other anymore.

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13146747)
MU fans not understanding the rules of basketball enough to accurately discuss the Robinson block will never stop being hilarious.

Neither will Kansas fans being too myopic to admit that the same play is often called a foul on the defender (when a shot blocker jumps towards an offensive player and makes contact with the contact).

(With some exceptions, of course)

duncan_idaho 10-13-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13146768)
This thread is exactly why I'm glad these schools don't play each other anymore.

It's all in good fun.

Mr. Plow 10-13-2017 12:24 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lZKoIu-ECfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bobbything 10-13-2017 12:32 PM

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...79oxgj0jpg.jpg

Reerun_KC 10-13-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13146548)

We give them adidas benefits.

patteeu 10-13-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13146768)

It's good for Kansas City though, don't you think?

Kiimo 10-13-2017 01:23 PM

Bill Self on Facebook live right now talking about this.

WilliamTheIrish 10-13-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13146716)
The basketball version of Tony Van Zandt.

GB with the time machine!

Chiefspants 10-13-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146775)
It's all in good fun.

This thread makes me yearn for a yearly game at the Sprint Center.

If we both weren't dumpster fires on the gridiron, a yearly battle at Arrowhead would be just as fun (though now it'd be flat out depressing).

KC_Connection 10-13-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13146330)

Oh it was definitely a foul. But that only makes the moment and the outcome even better. KU's crowd turned that entire game around and MU just wilted under the pressure of it (Denmon being the exception).

Frazod 10-13-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13147255)
This thread makes me yearn for a yearly game at the Sprint Center.

If we both weren't dumpster fires on the gridiron, a yearly battle at Arrowhead would be just as fun (though now it'd be flat out depressing).

It would work out pretty good for KU, I think. Mizzou couldn't beat a good high school team right now.