ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes Grade Game 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309611)

TLO 08-25-2017 08:03 PM

Mahomes Grade Game 3

Going to get this started early, poll to come.

Halfcan 08-25-2017 08:09 PM

A

Reerun_KC 08-25-2017 08:12 PM

B+

jaa1025 08-25-2017 08:15 PM

2 drives leading towards an incomplete strictly because penalties have killed both drives before they could get started. Peyton Manning in his prime couldn't drive with this oline.

KranzDictum 08-25-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13037639)
2 drives leading towards an incomplete strictly because penalties have killed both drives before they could get started. Peyton Manning in his prime couldn't drive with this oline.

Manning won a SB behind the worst OL ever to play in the NFL.

Best22 08-25-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 13037669)

Defense won that

Deberg_1990 08-25-2017 08:20 PM

D so far

TLO 08-25-2017 08:45 PM

Assuming he's done for the night, he gets a C from me.

Three7s 08-25-2017 09:00 PM

He made some great throws, but also took a bad sack and wasn't quite as accurate as last week. I'll give him a B-.

RealSNR 08-25-2017 09:03 PM

C, but I'm only grading the plays he had control of. A few poor decisions and one or two throws got away from him. Pretty sad that he didn't have his best game and yet had most of the big plays from our offense on the night.

He just needs the time on the bench running the scout team in practice for a year at this point, honestly. Preseason snaps aren't going to teach him anything at all until he can get practice with the basics of throwing from a base.

Willie Lanier 08-25-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13037675)
Defense won that

^

Your d was amazing that year

Sandy Vagina 08-25-2017 09:04 PM

dunno man.. "excuses" were there and legit. Still, he's just one of those types.. never know how it all goes. A few plays where I am shaking my head thinking he really does GOT IT. Then, just as many plays where I see a mess.

So, **** grades at this point. Truly is ALL about Mahomes' effort and dedication. The talent is certainly there.. the Chiefs' talent.. minus playcalling and receiver catch-hands.. and RB yards.. hmm... hold up.. :hmmm:

wait... let me think on this some more...

staylor26 08-25-2017 09:04 PM

B made a couple great throws and a few not so great.

Great Expectations 08-25-2017 09:07 PM

His footwork looked terrible at times and led to poor throws. Other times he made great plays. I'll give him a D tonight, the lack of consistency makes it below average.

BigCatDaddy 08-25-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

With Saturday and Lilja?

New World Order 08-25-2017 09:11 PM

B-

Deberg_1990 08-25-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 13038068)
His footwork looked terrible at times and led to poor throws. Other times he made great plays. I'll give him a D tonight, the lack of consistency makes it below average.

He does make some great throws at times. Throws Alex Smith can only dream about.

But yes, his mechanics get really sloppy at times.

Overall I can't complain, he looks like he has a chance to be special. The talent is certainly there

-King- 08-25-2017 09:14 PM

C-. He had 2 really good throws. But other than that was below average for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device

kc rush 08-25-2017 09:17 PM

C. Some good, some bad, shit line play, tons of flags.

jaa1025 08-25-2017 09:22 PM

Incomplete.

He had 1 good drive. Penalties ruined everything though. Tackles were beyond garbage. If Kemp wouldn't have stopped his route, that would have been a beautiful bomb TD. Mahomes wasn't happy with him. The PI stopped another TD pass. And stupid playcalling.

Mahomes had a few mistakes but not as many as his stat line would lead one to believe.

RunKC 08-25-2017 09:24 PM

C+

It's amazing that this guy has bad mechanics and still just makes plays over and over again.

Great Expectations 08-25-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13038084)
He does make some great throws at times. Throws Alex Smith can only dream about.

But yes, his mechanics get really sloppy at times.

Overall I can't complain, he looks like he has a chance to be special. The talent is certainly there

The upside is certainly there, but it's easy to see why the coaching staff wants to see him wait a year. I'm excited to see how he develops and have a lot of hope for our future.

chiefzilla1501 08-25-2017 09:29 PM

For as awesome a game as he had in game 2, I didn't like that he took way too many hits he didn't need to. Today... different story. Threw the ball away a few times. Twice he threw it away deep almost immediately. I know he's capable of extending those plays and taking hits, but that shows he's responding really well to coaching. I thought that was a huge step forward.

And he was awesome on third down today. You gotta love a guy who will move heaven and earth to get past the sticks.

Frazod 08-25-2017 09:29 PM

I give him a B, which may not even be fair considering the dogshit line he was playing behind. Pray for the health of our starting offensive linemen.

Plus, Seattle ain't exactly Cincinnati.

Baby Lee 08-25-2017 09:29 PM

No grade, stayed healthy, hopefully learned some stuff.

Instead of a letter, I'll give him an entirely positive four adjective grade -

talented,
rookie,
healthy,
learning.

cmdrzman 08-25-2017 09:30 PM

Young man better learn to step up instead of stepping out .... he will fail in the NFL if he thinks he can bring that sandlot football brain to the NFL... He will fail-

srvy 08-25-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 13037926)
Assuming he's done for the night, he gets a C from me.

Same C needs to settle those feet down almost every throw is off his back foot. And whats with the drift that drifting then throwing across your body without setting feet is gonna go bad with the big boys in real games.

Halfcan 08-25-2017 09:34 PM

Alex Grade- F

Easy 6 08-25-2017 09:36 PM

B -

Still got an eyeful of insane talent, but a rookie QB and his young crew struggled on the road against mighty Seattle

Who cares, it was a great new lesson for the young phenom

The Franchise 08-25-2017 09:36 PM

C+

srvy 08-25-2017 09:37 PM

Mahomes does look a lot like Farvre.

Red Dawg 08-25-2017 09:38 PM

The man had no protection. He did what he could and moved the ball on 3rd a few times.

chiefzilla1501 08-25-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13038154)
Same C needs to settle those feet down almost every throw is off his back foot. And whats with the drift that drifting then throwing across your body without setting feet is gonna go bad with the big boys in real games.

I agree but only to a small extent. Brett Favre notoriously threw off his back foot and across his body. I'm sure there were coaches who tried to beat that out of him too. Rare breed of QB who can do it with accuracy and arm strength. I actually really like seeing him throw on the move. I agree that I'd like to see him do it less, but there's another part of me that doesn't want to see too much of the freelance beaten out of him. Because the freelancing could make him really special.

DJ's left nut 08-25-2017 09:41 PM

C. He has unforced errors; times where his mechanics fall to hell for no reason at all.

But honestly, who cares? The whole goddamn team sucked tonight. Impossible to get a fair read on anyone. Burn the tapes and tell the starters they have the first half next week. That was embarrassing.

Discuss Thrower 08-25-2017 09:49 PM

C

jjchieffan 08-25-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Manning fixed a Superfarce behind the worst OL ever to play in the NFL.

fyp

Chiefs316 08-25-2017 10:10 PM

He gets a B from me. The best thing about watching him play is him extending the play and still looking downfield. He is more exciting to watch. Who cares that he doesn't throw the prototypical way? Smith is good and will start all year. We will get wins but it will be boring. Can 2018 get here already?

tooge 08-25-2017 10:16 PM

C+. He does look a lot like a young Favre. The game is too fast for him right now. It'll slow down with time. Hopefully he continues to improve. Not bad for a rook though

O.city 08-25-2017 10:22 PM

C. Maybe less. Shit game all around.

Give him the whole first half next week no starters though

scho63 08-25-2017 10:27 PM

B-

KChiefs1 08-25-2017 10:32 PM

C

wazu 08-25-2017 10:40 PM

He engineered a 6 minute drive which featured over 80 yards passing, overcoming penalty after penalty, getting first downs while working with nothing but 3rd stringers and guys that will be off the team in a week. And this was his roughest pre-season performance so far. Current pre-season passer rating is 105.9. Still hasn't turned the ball over.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-25-2017 10:54 PM

Meh. Got no help from the line, but lost his mechanics in the pocket for no reason at all a few times. Easy to see the talent shine though.

Psyko Tek 08-25-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13037639)

'scuse me peyton?
that's how you judge qb's?

k

Eleazar 08-25-2017 11:28 PM

Not a great performance tonight by him, but he's a rookie. He obviously has all the talent in the world, and he obviously needs a year to fix his flaws.

Overall I think he will be fine, but there is much work left to be done.

-King- 08-25-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13038292)
He engineered a 6 minute drive which featured over 80 yards passing, overcoming penalty after penalty, getting first downs while working with nothing but 3rd stringers and guys that will be off the team in a week. And this was his roughest pre-season performance so far. Current pre-season passer rating is 105.9. Still hasn't turned the ball over.

Lol wut?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin 08-25-2017 11:37 PM

I wouldn't start him game one but he is the best quarterback on the roster. Patrick can make plays that Alex just can't do but he is still learning and needs time to craft his craft so it's not all on him this season and when the time comes he will be more than ready.

Alex is who we thought he is average. Patrick is not your average quarterback he will do more good than harm but he will always be looking to get his teammates a chance to make a play that's something we don't see in Alex Smith he just makes a scramble for yards or out of bounds.

The team gets an F for flags and failure that is more on the HC than what the quarterbacks have shown.

eDave 08-25-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13038366)
I wouldn't start him game one but he is the best quarterback on the roster. Patrick can make plays that Alex just can't do but he is still learning and needs time to craft his craft so it's not all on him this season and when the time comes he will be more than ready.

Alex is who we thought he is average. Patrick is not your average quarterback he will do more good than harm but he will always be looking to get his teammates a chance to make a play that's something we don't see in Alex Smith he just makes a scramble for yards or out of bounds.

The team gets an F for flags and failure that is more on the HC than what the quarterbacks have shown.

LMAO No he's not.

Discuss Thrower 08-25-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13038292)

52 yards of passing on that drive alone.

Rasputin 08-25-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13038373)
LMAO No he's not.

Maybe not at this precise moment but it won't take much for him to surpass Alex Smith ass to be the best.

I don't see Patrick couldn't out play Smith with the ones. I know Tyreek had the drops so Alex numbers would have been better but he didn't have the appalling Oline that Patrick had to make do with.

It's close ><

ClevelandBronco 08-25-2017 11:57 PM

I gave him a "C" because "D" is passing and he didn't do that very well.

JakeF 08-26-2017 12:17 AM

Some good, some not so good.

Solid B

Baby Lee 08-26-2017 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 13038403)
I gave him a "C" because "D" is passing and he didn't do that very well.

I don't think you understand how matriculation works.

007 08-26-2017 12:32 AM

tonight is a tough game to grade him on. Played with the 2nd team and had to run a lot. Showed some flashes but also looked like a rookie. C from me and I don't mean that to be negative. Just middle of the road.

DaneMcCloud 08-26-2017 12:41 AM

D+

Regardless of whether or not the line protected him, he didn't look confident nor was he authoritative with his throws.

It's a shame that there won't be a cutdown to 75 on Tuesday.

This roster is bloated with guys that will never play on Sundays.

Rasputin 08-26-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13038445)
tonight is a tough game to grade him on. Played with the 2nd team and had to run a lot. Showed some flashes but also looked like a rookie. C from me and I don't mean that to be negative. Just middle of the road.

I think a big problem was when you get so many penalties it disrupts the rhythm or flow of the game and I think that would be discouraging aspect to deal with. I don't know if that is a valid excuse but those penalties were killer tonight and with shitty blocking he had a lot more to overcome at least he had that nice drive going for him.

Also on third down they ran a draw play that was pretty ****ing cowardness for preseason, he could have gave them an opportunity for a first down.

notorious 08-26-2017 12:43 AM

His pass protection ****ing sucked.

77 should be drawn and quartered. **** him with a barbwire telephone pole.

DaneMcCloud 08-26-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13038455)

But I've been told that Big 12 defensive players aren't any worse than guys on 90 man NFL rosters and that his offensive line at TT sucked, so this would be nothing new for him.

notorious 08-26-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13038457)
But I've been told that Big 12 defensive players aren't any worse than guys on 90 man NFL rosters and that his offensive line at TT sucked, so this would be nothing new for him.

Sigh.

He felt right at home. It probably felt like playing OU all over again.

eDave 08-26-2017 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13038461)
Sigh.

He felt right at home. It probably felt like playing OU all over again.

He didn't look right at home tonight. No big, but he got rattled or something. He's coming back down to earth.

Still going to be great though. Good game for him I think, having to go through it.

notorious 08-26-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13038472)
He didn't look right at home tonight. No big, but he got rattled or something. He's coming back down to earth.

Still going to be great though. Good game for him I think, having to go through it.

I meant....it was like playing OU.....where he is running for his life every play....and losing.

77 and the TE88 couldn't block a fat chick from a salad bar.

srvy 08-26-2017 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13038455)

Bray handled it with lesser scrubs pretty well. There is a fine line in the NFL of what is pressure and a jailbreak. He had some opportunities to step up but drifted out the pocket instead. And that is fine except that when he got a lane he never stopped and set his feet. Like he was impatient wanting to quickly make a play. He is young he appears to have it just give him time.

Nickhead 08-26-2017 01:22 AM

i have decided seattle is the new millenial version of the 70's raiders. but they get caught less when cheating. :D

Coogs 08-26-2017 07:10 AM

I was glad to see Reid put Mahomes in to start the 3rd with the ones. I thought he looked very poised, and not rattled at all with that unit. His first pass play was a thing of beauty. Second one was pretty good as well. Checked it down to West for a pickup of two or three. The after the play penalty on West (can't really blame West, the ref missed a face mask and a horse collar right in front of him) put us in a 2nd and long backed up inside the 15. Short run. Then the roll out to the left where he took the sack vs throwing it up.

Solid 4 plays given the circumstances. 2 good passes (one actually awesome) and a pretty good decision not to throw the ball.

oldman 08-26-2017 07:52 AM

Some good, some bad. He's got to learn to step up in the pocket and plant his feet instead of rolling out and throwing across his body. Yes, Favre did it, but his kid isn't Favre yet. Those kind of things turn into pick 6's pretty quick with D 1st stringers. I'm aware that the O-line was 2nd and 3rd string guys, but the D was, too. There were some flashes of talent that shows something really special, but starting games 1-8 this year, nope. Grade, gentleman's C. And FTR, yeah, I miss the 1st cutdown, too. Some of those guys need to be selling insurance in Bofunk, Iowa.

Coogs 08-26-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 13038645)
Some good, some bad. He's got to learn to step up in the pocket and plant his feet instead of rolling out and throwing across his body. Yes, Favre did it, but his kid isn't Favre yet. Those kind of things turn into pick 6's pretty quick with D 1st stringers. I'm aware that the O-line was 2nd and 3rd string guys, but the D was, too. There were some flashes of talent that shows something really special, but starting games 1-8 this year, nope. Grade, gentleman's C. And FTR, yeah, I miss the 1st cutdown, too. Some of those guys need to be selling insurance in Bofunk, Iowa.

1st play of the 3rd quarter was 1's on 1's. Roll out throw back across the body was a thing of beauty, and had no chance of being taken back to the house on an INT.

Best22 08-26-2017 09:07 AM

Mahomes only played with the second string. Seattle kept some decent players in. No wonder he was under pressure.

chiefzilla1501 08-26-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13038472)

After 2 frustrating drives where penalties forced him in 1st and 15, and 2nd and 20, he marched the ball down the field for 80 yards on his 3rd drive. Including overcoming a 1st and 20, and converting 2 third and longs. If not for the fumbled snap he had a good chance of taking it all the way.

He had a right to be rattled. The constant flags were just nuts. His first 2 drives put him in a terrible situation. The 3rd drive was a very good sign for how the kid handles adversity. I disagree. I thought he handled it very well. The 3rd drive felt like one of those not so great days, but he powered through it remarkably.

WhiteWhale 08-26-2017 09:35 AM

No excuses. C.

He ran from some invisible pressure a few times, and never seemed comfortable in the pocket. He really needs to get better at sliding around to avoid pressure rather than just taking off. His accuracy was not as good as it had been. He wasn't in rhythm. I'm not sure if that was coverage, but the ball wasn't coming out after his hitch even when he was getting protection. The timing was just off.

He didn't turn the ball over. Some bad plays were him making the best of a blown play. He showed his impressive arm a few times. That 3rd and 19 conversion was big time.

The offense had problems all day for both QB's, but the OL had particular problems with penalties when Mahomes was in there, while the front line WR's had problems catching the ball against the LoB. They seemed scared.

By the time Bray came in the Hawks were up by so much they were playing very soft conservative zones, leaving guys wide open on crossing routes. I'm pretty sure Alex or Mahomes could make those throws. Having said that he looked really good throwing the ball. He tosses a pretty pass with relative ease. Still has pocket awareness issues though.

tk13 08-26-2017 09:45 AM

I don't know if I can really give him a grade. If you're being honest, his footwork is really not very good. It was the biggest worry when we drafted him. Doesn't step into his throws, doesn't set his feet, especially when he's under pressure. It happened a lot last night.

He can certainly make up for it with his arm, so he actually gets away with it. It's really pretty impressive to watch. 98% of QBs couldn't do that. I'm worried that's not going to be as easy when he's playing against actual starting defenses though. History says gunslingers are more fun to watch, but not as likely to beat a QB like Tom Brady. Only time will tell.

I think it's obviously clear at this point he is the most talented QB this team has had in most of our lifetimes. I'm sure he'll get most of the reps in the 4th game to work on some of these things.

Easy 6 08-26-2017 09:51 AM

It was a great learning experience for him, he is a better player now simply by virtue of having gone through it

Give him whatever grade you want, but thats pretty much the bottom line IMO

WhiteWhale 08-26-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13038762)
It was a great learning experience for him, he is a better player now simply by virtue of having gone through it

Give him whatever grade you want, but thats pretty much the bottom line IMO

I agree. He needed to struggle. Seattle's defense, top to bottom, plays with an intensity he needed to see.

Back ups or not, they competed their asses off and largely beat up KC's team from start to finish.

The whole team needed it.

Titty Meat 08-26-2017 10:06 AM

C- mechanics have along way to go. Fix those and hell be an elite QB

Halfcan 08-26-2017 10:31 AM

I thought it was great for Andy to bring in Mahomes old college line to "block" for him.

Terrible.

kccrow 08-26-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13038476)
I meant....it was like playing OU.....where he is running for his life every play....and losing.

77 and the TE88 couldn't block a fat chick from a salad bar.

ROFL :clap:

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-26-2017 12:40 PM

Always A+.

Every.

Time.

When you take in to account ALL that has come before, going back to Lenny's retirement, there is only one accurate choice.

Coogs 08-26-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 13038715)
Mahomes only played with the second string. Seattle kept some decent players in. No wonder he was under pressure.

You are correct. My bad!

COchief 08-27-2017 07:35 AM

Went with incomplete due to all the penalties and generally garbage play by the offensive line. They killed virtually every drive with either penalties or allowing immediate pressure. Mahomes did miss a few throws but also had a few wow ones as well, first time I've seen him be off in the accuracy department.

Coogs 08-27-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 13040358)
Went with incomplete due to all the penalties and generally garbage play by the offensive line. They killed virtually every drive with either penalties or allowing immediate pressure. Mahomes did miss a few throws but also had a few wow ones as well, first time I've seen him be off in the accuracy departments.

He had 3 or 4 throws that it didn't look like the receivers did what he was expecting. Not sure where the blame goes there, but I wouldn't really call those accuracy issues. Only pass that I can recall that was really not accurate was the one to Kemp.

farmerchief 08-27-2017 04:14 PM

Good series,,,

I taped the game and watched it again today. The series he had when they moved the ball pretty well until he fumbled the snap. He might have left the pocket. Little quick sometimes, but protection hadn't been very good. I thought he made some very good throws. The one 3rd and 19, where he completed it for a first down, was a great throw and a great catch! He threw it 19 yards for the first down, where as if Alex was in the same situation he would not have attempted the throw, or dumped it off to a safety valve way short of first down distance.

That, folks, is what is so encouraging with this draft pick. The future looks bright for the Chiefs at the QB position!:clap: