ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Panthers fire GM Gettlemen (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308775)

staylor26 07-17-2017 10:40 AM

Panthers fire GM Gettlemen

Looks like we started a trend

http://itsbx.com/redirect/?url=http:...8-50e52943984c

penbrook 07-17-2017 10:41 AM

Damn!!! At least we did ours more than a week before training camp

RunKC 07-17-2017 10:45 AM

Most owners are nowhere near as business savvy as they are painted. Jerry Richardson doing this now is moronic just like Clark's move to fire Dorsey when he did.

Marcellus 07-17-2017 10:51 AM

LMAO I though this NEVER happens.

redfan 07-17-2017 10:57 AM

The Panthers have even been to the SB quite recently. What's up with this?

Marcellus 07-17-2017 11:08 AM

Watch them sign Dorsey, this place would melt down.

Tribal Warfare 07-17-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12959883)
Watch them sign Dorsey, this place would melt down.

I assume that's who they're angling for

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 11:28 AM

Carolina Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ave-gettleman/

The Panthers have made plenty of news this offseason. None has been bigger than this.

The Panthers just announced that General Manager Dave Gettleman has been relieved of his duties the week before training camp begins.

“After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as General Manager,” owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. “I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed.”

The Panthers are in the midst of a number of contract negotiations with beloved veterans (Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen) and Gettleman drew notorious hard lines with beloved veterans such as Jordan Gross and Steve Smith in the past. That might not have suited Richardson, who takes pride in his relationships with long-time players.

The move leaves them short-handed, as assistant G.M. Brandon Beane left for Buffalo’s G.M. job earlier this offseason.

Tribal Warfare 07-17-2017 11:31 AM

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=30877

Repost dude

ChiliConCarnage 07-17-2017 11:31 AM

That Steve Smith tweet doe

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 12959920)

I missed it. My apologies.

Feel free to delete.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 11:35 AM

The Panthers have made plenty of news this offseason. None has been bigger than this.

The Panthers just announced that General Manager Dave Gettleman has been relieved of his duties the week before training camp begins.

“After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as General Manager,” owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. “I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed.”

The Panthers are in the midst of a number of contract negotiations with beloved veterans (Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen) and Gettleman drew notorious hard lines with beloved veterans such as Jordan Gross and Steve Smith in the past. That might not have suited Richardson, who takes pride in his relationships with long-time players.

The move leaves them short-handed, as assistant G.M. Brandon Beane left for Buffalo’s G.M. job earlier this offseason.

Dayze 07-17-2017 11:36 AM

Clark is a trend setter.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 11:42 AM

If Veach is hired by Buffalo instead of Beane, does Clark fire Dorsey?

KChiefs1 07-17-2017 11:46 AM

Calling it now...Dorsey to Carolina.

penbrook 07-17-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12959914)

They pulled a Chiefs lol

Al Bundy 07-17-2017 11:50 AM

Panthers lol

staylor26 07-17-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12959939)
If Veach is hired by Buffalo instead of Beane, does Clark fire Dorsey?

I really hope he wouldn't have. That would've been awful.

ChiefsCountry 07-17-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12959844)
Most owners are nowhere near as business savvy as they are painted. Jerry Richardson doing this now is moronic just like Clark's move to fire Dorsey when he did.

Clearly owners who made billion dollar corporations are not business savvy at all.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12959943)
Calling it now...Dorsey to Carolina.

Sure.

Jerry Richardson fires a GM in Gettlemen that unceremoniously released Steve Smith, signs guys to terrible contracts and causes cap issues, while also known as a bad communicator and grump, only to hire John Dorsey, who reportedly shares all of those qualities.

Sounds like a fit.

RunKC 07-17-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12959956)
Clearly owners who made billion dollar corporations are not business savvy at all.

Clark Hunt didn't "make" anything.

Quesadilla Joe 07-17-2017 11:58 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just a hunch but wouldn&#39;t be surprised at all if John Dorsey ultimately becomes new <a href="https://twitter.com/Panthers">@Panthers</a> GM. Column coming soon at <a href="https://twitter.com/sn_nfl">@sn_nfl</a></p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/887008332854296576">July 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tribal Warfare 07-17-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12959957)
Sure.

Jerry Richardson fires a GM in Gettlemen that unceremoniously released Steve Smith, signs guys to terrible contracts and causes cap issues, while also known as a bad communicator and grump, only to hire John Dorsey, who reportedly shares all of those qualities.

Sounds like a fit.

It's name recognition without to appease the masses

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-17-2017 12:07 PM

At least Dorsey wouldn't be in the AFCW

Rasputin 07-17-2017 12:07 PM

John Dorsey presser ~ I've always wanted to GM the Carolina Panthers this is a dream gig.

siberian khatru 07-17-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12959983)
John Dorsey presser ~ I've always wanted to GM the Carolina Panthers this is a dream gig.

"My wife's brother-in-law's third cousin is from Charlotte, and every year I look forward to getting a Christmas card from them. Now we'll be able to spend the holidays with them!"

Eleazar 07-17-2017 12:38 PM

Should have worn ties around the office!

RealSNR 07-17-2017 12:49 PM

But John wants to GM the Packers and only the Packers!

threebag 07-17-2017 12:51 PM

Damn Carolina drafted a QB too?

Red Dawg 07-17-2017 12:51 PM

Clark the trend setter. That is funny.

Eleazar 07-17-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12960029)
But John wants to GM the Packers and only the Packers!

He was fired for asking for an out to go to the Packers! It wasn't about money!

kgrund 07-17-2017 01:03 PM

Just due to the fact the Cowden was seen as a viable candidate when we were looking and he came to the Titans from the Panthers, I would imagine he would be a strong candidate for this job IMO.

The Bad Guy 07-17-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Guy brought up a great point today on SiriusXM, this might actually be the best time to do a move like this.

You don't punt a year of the draft. Your camp roster is pretty much set. You're competing with no one else to hire the guy you want.

I was pretty shocked when Dorsey got canned because of timing, but the timing may not be as big of an issue as I thought.

The Bad Guy 07-17-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12960052)
He was fired for asking for an out to go to the Packers! It wasn't about money!

You've read the same stuff I have. The initial reasoning of the out to Green Bay wasn't the issue at all according to guys like Terez and Albert Breer who seem plenty connected with the Chiefs..

Clark has shown he's willing to spend, and if he's willing to pay Dorsey for a year to basically go away, the problems were a lot more with him than just he wanted an out.

Eleazar 07-17-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12960122)
You've read the same stuff I have. The initial reasoning of the out to Green Bay wasn't the issue at all according to guys like Terez and Albert Breer who seem plenty connected with the Chiefs.

Dorsey was trying to squirm out and go to the Pack. I read it on CP. Hail Clark.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 12960122)
You've read the same stuff I have. The initial reasoning of the out to Green Bay wasn't the issue at all according to guys like Terez and Albert Breer who seem plenty connected with the Chiefs..

Clark has shown he's willing to spend, and if he's willing to pay Dorsey for a year to basically go away, the problems were a lot more with him than just he wanted an out.

Cochise is just trolling the Dorsey firing and has been since the day it was announced.

Ignore his stupidity.

Titty Meat 07-17-2017 03:42 PM

The Panthers have relieved GM Dave Gettleman of his duties.

The Panthers finished 1st in the NFC South in 3 of Gettleman's 4 seasons as GM.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12960293)
The Panthers have relieved GM Dave Gettleman of his duties.

The Panthers finished 1st in the NFC South in 3 of Gettleman's 4 seasons as GM.

The Steelers have had multiple GM's in the past 45 years, yet three coaches and SIX Super Bowl wins.

T-post Tom 07-17-2017 10:09 PM

I hear that Andy Reid was behind the Gettleman firing.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 12960985)
I hear that Andy Reid was behind the Gettleman firing.

:clap:

booger 07-17-2017 10:35 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

On my phone... this has some Dorsey stuff in it. Someone can post the article if they want

TribalElder 07-17-2017 10:47 PM

Dorsey to Carolina wouldn't be that bad. At least it's out of the division

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booger (Post 12961011)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

On my phone... this has some Dorsey stuff in it. Someone can post the article if they want

It would be easy to lump all these men into the same category, but the situations of Gettleman, Dorsey and even Baalke fall on an entirely different spectrum. These are all men who attacked the job with a certain aggressiveness that ironically made it easy for them to become expendable.

They all had their strengths and lorded over a noteworthy amount of success within their respective organizations. They also all made public gaffes that came back to haunt them in the end.

Dorsey didn't inspire the same level of acrimony with players that Gettleman had -- Dorsey's decision to release wide receiver Jeremy Maclin in June via a voicemail left on Maclin's phone was his most notorious move -- but there was plenty to question during his time in Kansas City.

Yes, Dorsey was responsible for the roster of a team that won at least 11 games in three of the last four years. He also oversaw a team that routinely found itself in salary-cap hell, wound up paying more money to Pro Bowler Eric Berry on a long-term deal that was consummated after Berry excelled while playing under the franchise tag, and lost two draft picks for tampering related to the contract Maclin signed in 2015.

That might be the ultimate blessing for the Panthers and the Chiefs. Sure, their owners could've found successors in-house if they had moved quicker on the terminations (the Chiefs watched director of football operations Chris Ballard go to Indianapolis in January as a general manager, while the Panthers saw assistant general manager Brandon Beane replace Whaley in Buffalo in May).

However, there's something to be said for recognizing when a mistake has been made. The lesson to be learned here is that there's a lot more to being a general manager these days than simply picking the players.

mdchiefsfan 07-18-2017 07:16 AM

You fire your GM this late in the game when one is available to improve your team. This is certain an attempt to grab Dorsey.

mcaj22 07-18-2017 07:56 AM

Dorsey vs Fat Scott in the NFC South in a battle of which former GM will win a Super Bowl before the Chiefs do

Eleazar 07-18-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12961151)
Dorsey vs Fat Scott in the NFC South in a battle of which former GM will win a Super Bowl before the Chiefs do

We'd have a lot better chance to win that race if it was Andy Reid going to the Panthers instead of Dorsey.

ptlyon 07-18-2017 08:42 AM

Because, Chiefs

Where's SR to tell us "we'll be fine"?

DaneMcCloud 07-18-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 12961128)
You fire your GM this late in the game when one is available to improve your team. This is certain an attempt to grab Dorsey.

This is probably the best time to fire the GM.

There's a 90 man roster ready for TC, the draft is over and most coaches have Final Say over the 53.

A new GM's biggest job is preparing for the Draft and Free Agency, making June or July much more advantageous than January or February.

I won't be surprised to see this trend continue.

threebag 07-18-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Reading way too much into it.

mdchiefsfan 07-18-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12961201)
This is probably the best time to fire the GM.

There's a 90 man roster ready for TC, the draft is over and most coaches have Final Say over the 53.

A new GM's biggest job is preparing for the Draft and Free Agency, making June or July much more advantageous than January or February.

I won't be surprised to see this trend continue.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...7&postcount=32

I said this on 6.26 about the timing of firing your GM:

Quote:

There is never a correct time to replace a full year position, but if it had to be done, then you do it as soon as the need is identified.

I think it would be much worse to have a person scouting your team's specific needs for the rest of the season, dropping him, then asking someone to draft for you based on the evals they put in on another team.

mdchiefsfan 07-18-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12961210)
Reading way too much into it.

Why is that?

The Franchise 07-18-2017 09:18 AM

They were talking about this on SiriusXM and it was brought up that this firing could have been because of how tough he is on veteran contracts when it comes time to re-sign players. I guess Thomas Davis is going to need a new contract and Greg Olsen is threatening to hold out on his deal as well. The Owner knew how Gettelmen let Steve Smith walk and how he handled the Josh Norman situation.

WhiteWhale 07-18-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

ROFL

Jerry Richardson has done pretty well financially, and it's not like he started with 40 million dollars like some people.

He parlayed 2 years of income from the NFL at the rookie minimum in the freaking 50's into 1.1 billion dollars.

I think he might know something about business.

Not as much as you obviously, but something.

DaneMcCloud 07-18-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

This is certain an attempt to grab Dorsey.

If Richardson had wanted John Dorsey (which as I've stated earlier, doesn't make sense because Dorsey had the same exact issue with Clark Hunt as Richardson has with Gettlemen), Richardson would have hired Dorsey, then fired Gettlemen.

Dorsey isn't under contract and there's no salary cap on front offices or coaching staffs.

This clearly isn't about John Dorsey. It's about Gettlemen's decision making and franchise embarrassments (like unceremoniously cutting Steve Smith, Sr.).

Rasputin 07-18-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12961222)
They were talking about this on SiriusXM and it was brought up that this firing could have been because of how tough he is on veteran contracts when it comes time to re-sign players. I guess Thomas Davis is going to need a new contract and Greg Olsen is threatening to hold out on his deal as well. The Owner knew how Gettelmen let Steve Smith walk and how he handled the Josh Norman situation.

Patriots let guys walk like Ty Law even after winning Super Bowls.

Marcellus 07-18-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 12961424)
ROFL

Jerry Richardson has done pretty well financially, and it's not like he started with 40 million dollars like some people.

He parlayed 2 years of income from the NFL at the rookie minimum in the freaking 50's into 1.1 billion dollars.

If RunKC was given $5MM tomorrow he would turn it into $5,000 in 2 years but he knows more about business than all these dumbass owners.

raybec 4 07-18-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 12961424)
ROFL

You shut the hell up, the business moguls who know anything about anything come right here to CP to check our opinion of whether or not they know what's really going on.

The Bad Guy 07-18-2017 04:04 PM

I think Ballard's departure here and Beane's departure in Carolina really put a microscope on Dorsey and Gettlemen. From a lot of writer accounts, they covered up the shortcomings of their bosses.

RunKC 07-18-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12961693)
If RunKC was given $5MM tomorrow he would turn it into $5,000 in 2 years but he knows more about business than all these dumbass owners.

If I were to draw pictures explaining my post, the odds are you would still not comprehend the point of what was said.

jesus dude. Do you even comprehend?

DaneMcCloud 07-18-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12961185)
We'd have a lot better chance to win that race if it was Andy Reid going to the Panthers instead of Dorsey.

Dumb as ****

Red Dawg 07-18-2017 05:15 PM

I have no problem with what Clark did. Dorsey had plenty of flaws and he's not some GM legend.

Carolina GM apparently was an asshole of the Pioli type.

As far as owner being business savvy? No effing idea but they certainty have done better than me.

milkman 07-19-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12961029)
It would be easy to lump all these men into the same category, but the situations of Gettleman, Dorsey and even Baalke fall on an entirely different spectrum. These are all men who attacked the job with a certain aggressiveness that ironically made it easy for them to become expendable.

They all had their strengths and lorded over a noteworthy amount of success within their respective organizations. They also all made public gaffes that came back to haunt them in the end.

Dorsey didn't inspire the same level of acrimony with players that Gettleman had -- Dorsey's decision to release wide receiver Jeremy Maclin in June via a voicemail left on Maclin's phone was his most notorious move -- but there was plenty to question during his time in Kansas City.

Yes, Dorsey was responsible for the roster of a team that won at least 11 games in three of the last four years. He also oversaw a team that routinely found itself in salary-cap hell, wound up paying more money to Pro Bowler Eric Berry on a long-term deal that was consummated after Berry excelled while playing under the franchise tag, and lost two draft picks for tampering related to the contract Maclin signed in 2015.

That might be the ultimate blessing for the Panthers and the Chiefs. Sure, their owners could've found successors in-house if they had moved quicker on the terminations (the Chiefs watched director of football operations Chris Ballard go to Indianapolis in January as a general manager, while the Panthers saw assistant general manager Brandon Beane replace Whaley in Buffalo in May).

However, there's something to be said for recognizing when a mistake has been made. The lesson to be learned here is that there's a lot more to being a general manager these days than simply picking the players.

I have no desire to speculate on the reason for Dorsey's termination as those stupid arguments have all been hashed.

However, that tampering was all Reid, not Dorsey.

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12962687)
I have no desire to speculate on the reason for Dorsey's termination as those stupid arguments have all been hashed.

However, that tampering was all Reid, not Dorsey.

That quote was from an NFL.com story and not something I stated.

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

This is certain an attempt to grab Dorsey.

Richardson re-hired previous GM Marty Hurney, which completely dismisses that theory.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-interim-g-m/

mdchiefsfan 07-19-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12962729)
Richardson re-hired previous GM Marty Hurney, which completely dismisses that theory.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-interim-g-m/

Well, ****. I took a shot and missed :shrug:

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 12962737)
Well, ****. I took a shot and missed :shrug:

I think a lot of people jumped to that conclusion.

I don't think the NFL has the same reverence for Dorsey as many CPers believe.

You can damn sure bet that if any owner asks Clark about Dorsey, he's not going to hold back.

Titty Meat 07-19-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12962767)

You can damn sure bet that if any owner asks Clark about Dorsey, he's not going to hold back.

How credible do you think Clark is after the Dorsey/Haley firings were handled? He rightfully fired Pioli but Scott seems to be well respected in the league.

WhiteWhale 07-19-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12962767)

Well, the NFL is highly nepotistic as well. Plenty of teams will pass on what are, optically, better options for someone from their own network. It's not nefarious, as personalities meshing and creating cohesiveness is obviously vital. When people know each other and work well together, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I think Dorsey will land a solid job within his own network pretty quickly, but maybe not at the GM position. Teams know what he does well, and (among the many) rumors floating make it sound like Dorsey really struggled with managing people.

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12962786)
How credible do you think Clark is after the Dorsey/Haley firings were handled? He rightfully fired Pioli but Scott seems to be well respected in the league.

You're asking two different questions.

The power structure from 2009-2012 was that the Head Coach answered to the General Manager. Hunt didn't lose any credibility because it was Pioli's decision to fire him. As for Pioli being respected by the league, the only job opportunity that arose for him was in 2014, with his old pal, Thomas Dimitroff, the GM in Atlanta. Since 2015, Pioli has run the Personnel Department while Dimitroff takes care of the football operations.

If Pioli was offered a GM position for another franchise and that worked out well, his reputation would be fully restored. Since that hasn't happened, it's difficult to gauge how much "respect" the other 30 owners have for him.

Since 2013, the Head Coach, GM and President report directly to Clark Hunt, making it clear that Hunt didn't care for the prior dynamic. Clark is very well respected in league circles and was instrumental in avoiding a Lockout in 2011 and negotiating a new CBA. He also stood up to the "Old Guard" (Jerry Richardson and others) in voting down a plan to move the Raiders & Chargers to Carson while spearheading the Rams to Los Angeles.

If anything, the firing of Dorsey by Clark Hunt would likely make most owners hesitant to hire him in the same position in the future.

Eleazar 07-19-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12962786)

After how those two firings were handled and his silly arrangement where there's always the threat of the head coach backdooring you to the owner, I'm not sure the job is as attractive as it could be.

Marcellus 07-19-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12961904)
If I were to draw pictures explaining my post, the odds are you would still not comprehend the point of what was said.

jesus dude. Do you even comprehend?

Quote:

You claimed that most of the owners aren't business savy, its not tough to comprehend.

What apparently is tough to comprehend is how hard it is to manage a Billion $ enterprise.

You act as if you have a clue what Clark does on a daily basis and he is some uneducated doofus.

Quote:

Clark Knobel Hunt was born on February 19, 1965.[citation needed] He is the son of Lamar Hunt and the grandson of oil tycoon H.L. Hunt.[2][3] After graduating from St. Mark's School of Texas, he finished first in his class at Southern Methodist University in 1987, where he was a captain of SMU's nationally ranked soccer team and a two-time Academic All-American. Hunt earned a degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. He was a two-time recipient of the university's highest academic honor, the Provost Award for Outstanding Scholar.

I'm sure you can compare resumes.