ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Salary Cap: Yes Or No? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308141)

petegz28 06-06-2017 08:51 PM

Salary Cap: Yes Or No?

One of the guys on 610 this afternoon was railing against the salary cap. He claimed it was not needed because the NFL has more cash than the MLB and NBA combined. I got the feeling it was all because of Maclin being released. He was claiming you can build even better teams without the cap.

Personally I like the cap. While cash profit is not an issue, cash in the form of what teams spend on players does effect the game. I like that the money is part of the rules. I'd like to see MLB do the same as the NFL.

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2017 08:53 PM

He sounds like a ****ing moron.

The Salary Cap has brought unprecedented success and revenue to the NFL.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-06-2017 08:53 PM

It's definitely needed.

pugsnotdrugs19 06-06-2017 08:54 PM

The cap is great, and I wish other leagues had a hard cap like the NFL.

Deberg_1990 06-06-2017 08:59 PM

Jerry Jones wishes there was no salary cap

displacedinMN 06-06-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12905349)

This is why there is a salary cap.

Shaid 06-06-2017 09:06 PM

The cap, at least in theory, is meant to help balance the teams and keep big market teams from dominating. It's very needed and if it didn't exist, I'd probably just stop watching.

Ming the Merciless 06-06-2017 09:07 PM

yes

SBInfinity 06-06-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12905341)
One of the guys on 610 this afternoon was railing against the salary cap. He claimed it was not needed because the NFL has more cash than the MLB and NBA combined. I got the feeling it was all because of Maclin being released. He was claiming you can build even better teams without the cap.

duh

Quote:

Personally I like the cap. While cash profit is not an issue, cash in the form of what teams spend on players does effect the game. I like that the money is part of the rules. I'd like to see MLB do the same as the NFL.

hell yes

KChiefs1 06-06-2017 10:03 PM

Every sport needs a salary cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best22 06-06-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

I don't think the Chiefs would be a "rich" team. Salary cap gives you a better chance at dynasty, whereas in the MLB its so difficult for a team like the Royals to dominate for a decade. That 2 year run was fantastic, but I wish they had a few more contending years.

Salary cap is awesome

KChiefs1 06-06-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

The Cowboys get all the press now...can you imagine if there wasn't a salary cap?

EPodolak 06-06-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBInfinity (Post 12905480)
duh

hell yes

duh, hell yes here too.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-06-2017 10:26 PM

They need fully guaranteed contracts.

MahiMike 06-06-2017 10:28 PM

The cap is what makes the NFL the best sport in America. Just think if MLB had it. We wouldn't have to wait 30 years for the next Royals championship.

DaFace 06-06-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12905551)
The cap is what makes the NFL the best sport in America. Just think if MLB had it. We wouldn't have to wait 30 years for the next Royals championship.

Given that the Chiefs haven't gotten a championship in nearly 50 years, this isn't a particularly compelling argument for the NFL salary cap being great. :p

Nickhead 06-06-2017 10:31 PM

i normally do italian dressing, but sometimes i will do fetta with balsamic. so yes. :D

ChiefAshhole1056 06-06-2017 10:33 PM

What tier of "destination teams" do you think KC would be in if Free agency was a completely open market? Doubt we'd have near the same amount of team talent that we do now.

Psyko Tek 06-06-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

best reason for it, cap is good

Psyko Tek 06-06-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

the short season, where every game sorts matters and the one and done playoff are also important

7 games for one playoff win
**** that

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056 (Post 12905565)
What tier of "destination teams" do you think KC would be in if Free agency was a completely open market? Doubt we'd have near the same amount of team talent that we do now.

Huh? The overwhelming majority of the Chiefs talent is home grown.

Dave Lane 06-06-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12905344)
Pete always sounds like a ****ing moron.

The Salary Cap has brought unprecedented success and revenue to the NFL.

FYP

ChiefAshhole1056 06-06-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12905586)
Huh? The overwhelming majority of the Chiefs talent is home grown.

That was re-signed. Would Houston, Berry, Kelce, or Maclin (whenever we got him) be here if the other teams could offer them what they're really worth or even more?

ChiefAshhole1056 06-06-2017 11:36 PM

I'd say it would be somewhat reflective of exactly how the free agent market in the MLB is. When's the last time a big name FA came to KC? I feel comparable tendencies would happen within the NFL.

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056 (Post 12905626)
That was re-signed. Would Houston, Berry, Kelce, or Maclin (whenever we got him) be here if the other teams could offer them what they're really worth or even more?

Houston, yes, because he would have been Franchised.

Kelce was extended after year three, so I don't get your point.

Berry was Franchised, so yes.

Maclin was a bad signing, period, and I doubt anyone would have matched that stupid contract.

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056 (Post 12905629)
I'd say it would be somewhat reflective of exactly how the free agent market in the MLB is. When's the last time a big name FA came to KC? I feel comparable tendencies would happen within the NFL.

Each MLB team has its own TV contract.

The NFL negotiates with the networks and all 32 teams split the revenues equally.

Currently, the NFLPA receives 48.5% of all revenue.

Without a salary cap, cities won't pony up billions of dollars for stadiums if the teams don't have a chance to be competitive.

Danguardace 06-07-2017 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12905630)
Houston, yes, because he would have been Franchised.

Kelce was extended after year three, so I don't get your point.

Berry was Franchised, so yes.

Maclin was a bad signing, period, and I doubt anyone would have matched that stupid contract.

I think his point was (And I hear Colin Cowturd say this about Green Bay) Players would choose to go to bigger cities and bigger markets.

IMO the Draft and Franchise Tags still mean that you can obtain and keep talent.

Unsmooth-Moment 06-07-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

I disagree. I think it works for the NFL because salaries aren't guaranteed. Baseball salaries are perfect. It leads to big markets over spending for players non elite years. In baseball the first 6 years are normally the most valuable and those are protected to the team regardless of location or payroll.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

scho63 06-07-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12905347)
The cap is great, and I wish other leagues had a hard cap like the NFL.

True true true! Baseball is the most out of whack.

notorious 06-07-2017 10:16 AM

The salary cap is great. It creates a natural flow of moving talent.

BUT, NFL is horrible when it comes to parody thanks to the misbalanced rules that favor QB.

DaneMcCloud 06-07-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 12905672)
I think his point was (And I hear Colin Cowturd say this about Green Bay) Players would choose to go to bigger cities and bigger markets.

It's a bogus argument.

Even if there isn't a Salary Cap (which will NEVER happen, as the NFLPA wouldn't allow it), there's still limited income. None of these owners want to LOSE money.

Also, every free agency signing, big or not, doesn't work out perfectly for the player or team even 50% of the time. Has Suh led the Dolphins to a playoff win? How about that Brock Osweiler?

There's an endless list of free agent busts and even bigger market teams like the Giants, Jets, Dolphins and 49er's have fiscally conservative owners that aren't going to spend 70% of their gross income for a few superstar players when 28 other teams are spending 48-50%.

Proof? Guys are willing to play for little to nothing in New England, just to get a ring.

FloridaMan88 06-07-2017 11:50 AM

It is a weird irony that MLB, without a salary cap has had more parity during the past decade than the NFL or NBA.

Look at how many different teams have been in the World Series during the past 10 years... including small market teams such as the Royals, Tampa, and Colorado.

Danguardace 06-07-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12906071)

Proof? Guys are willing to play for little to nothing in New England, just to get a ring.

That and guys will play for anything because it is a job, a job which pays more than bagging groceries or flipping burgers which sadly is all most of these guys would be doing for legal employment anyway.

Chief Pagan 06-07-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 12905719)
I disagree. I think it works for the NFL because salaries aren't guaranteed. Baseball salaries are perfect. It leads to big markets over spending for players non elite years. In baseball the first 6 years are normally the most valuable and those are protected to the team regardless of location or payroll.

https://skepticalsports.com/wp-conte.../01/image4.png

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 12905520)
I don't think the Chiefs would be a "rich" team. Salary cap gives you a better chance at dynasty, whereas in the MLB its so difficult for a team like the Royals to dominate for a decade. That 2 year run was fantastic, but I wish they had a few more contending years.

Salary cap is awesome

The cap is a Dynasty killer, it is meant to even the playing field. Belly is the outlier but they cheated and he understands how to manage the cap and when he can afford to dump a key high paid vet and still win. It is a hard thing to do and they are the only ones who have done it and even then they had years were they were not the best team in the NFL and had to play guys like Rechee Caldwell so they could afford Randy Moss the next year.

CoMoChief 06-07-2017 12:14 PM

Yes

Unsmooth-Moment 06-07-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 12906144)

What's the percent including the last 6 years? MLB has seen recent success of Pirates, Royals, Rays and A's in the last decade or so. Not necessarily in just championships. There has been some surprising teams in the mix for playoffs, etc. Just judging champions MLB has had 15 teams win a championship since 90. The NFL has seen 14 different teams in that span.

Rain Man 06-07-2017 01:14 PM

I like the concept of a salary cap, but the contracts need to be more transparent. X years for Y dollars. I'm sure that some teams are gaming the system with complex contract language.

Plus, you have to be diligent about teams that cheat on the salary cap and punish them severely for cheating. Don't just take away a draft pick. Take away their 1997 and 1998 Lombardi trophies and give them to the NFC team that didn't cheat.

DaneMcCloud 06-07-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12906154)
The cap is a Dynasty killer

That's why the Patriots have won 14 out of 15 Division titles, 9 Conference Championship appearances, 7 Super Bowl appearances and 5 Super Bowl Wins.

Because the Salary Cap is a Dynasty "killer".

:facepalm:

Dumb as ****.

bevischief 06-07-2017 07:02 PM

yes. If only Congress had one...

jjchieffan 06-07-2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12906154)
The cap is a Dynasty killer, it is meant to even the playing field. Belly is the outlier but they cheated and he understands how to manage the cap and when he can afford to dump a key high paid vet and still win. It is a hard thing to do and they are the only ones who have done it and even then they had years were they were not the best team in the NFL and had to play guys like Rechee Caldwell so they could afford Randy Moss the next year.

LMAO A Donk fan talking about another team cheating. Oh the irony. SMH

notorious 06-07-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12906992)

In a thread about the salary cap.

It's a crazy world.

jjchieffan 06-07-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 12906232)
What's the percent including the last 6 years? MLB has seen recent success of Pirates, Royals, Rays and A's in the last decade or so. Not necessarily in just championships. There has been some surprising teams in the mix for playoffs, etc. Just judging champions MLB has had 15 teams win a championship since 90. The NFL has seen 14 different teams in that span.

MLB has found another way to win championships. It's because of their farm system, something that the NFL doesn't have. Small market teams such as the Royals have to have strong minor league teams. They develop their stars there, then when they get good and will be coming due for a contract that they can't afford, they trade them away to the big money teams that can afford them in return for their strong minor league prospects. But, as you see over and over in MLB, they have a very small window. The Royals were good for a couple of years, but they lost their talent because they couldn't afford them, and they are right back in the basement with one of the worst records in the league. It will likely be years before they are competitive again.

notorious 06-07-2017 08:13 PM

How many former Bronco players are still being paid 4 million a year as an honorary janitor?

Chief Roundup 06-07-2017 08:14 PM

The cap should stay. It is needed to keep parity within the NFL.

KChiefs1 06-07-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12906992)

I laugh when Donko fans start talking about the Pats cheating.

Unsmooth-Moment 06-07-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12907008)
MLB has found another way to win championships. It's because of their farm system, something that the NFL doesn't have. Small market teams such as the Royals have to have strong minor league teams. They develop their stars there, then when they get good and will be coming due for a contract that they can't afford, they trade them away to the big money teams that can afford them in return for their strong minor league prospects. But, as you see over and over in MLB, they have a very small window. The Royals were good for a couple of years, but they lost their talent because they couldn't afford them, and they are right back in the basement with one of the worst records in the league. It will likely be years before they are competitive again.

I guess the bigger picture to me is salary cap and guaranteed contracts. I don't think they mix very well. I love baseball as is and baseball will not move away from guaranteed contracts, their union is to strong. If football moved to fully guaranteed contracts like baseball but kept the hard cap you'd see an inferior product on the field. That and players would be signing a lot more 1 year contracts.

Farm system and years of control for players do keep baseball very interesting during a down stretch. Teams don't necessarily have to have short windows either. Think if the Royals hit on a draft pick recently. They could keep the run going. Guys like Colon, Starling, zimmer, new pick like ashe Russell.. some of these guys were high end picks. None are likely to step in and replace a Cain or a Moose.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12906276)
That's why the Patriots have won 14 out of 15 Division titles, 9 Conference Championship appearances, 7 Super Bowl appearances and 5 Super Bowl Wins.

Because the Salary Cap is a Dynasty "killer".

:facepalm:

Dumb as ****.

out·li·er
ˈoutˌlīər/Submit
noun
a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system.
"less accessible islands and outliers"
a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set.
"an outlier in Faulkner's body of work"
GEOLOGY
a younger rock formation isolated among older rocks.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12907037)
I laugh when Donko fans start talking about the Pats cheating.

So the loss of a 2nd round pick for talking for a guy you cut after 2 years is nothing?

Dynasty's that died since the inception of the Cap, some of these were blown apart before they could become Dynastic.

Dallas
San Fran
2015 Broncos - Could not overcome losing Jackson, Trevathan, and the 2nd greatest QB of all time
1999 Broncos Though the loss of the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME hurt too
Pitt - They draft really well but had to in order to get back to the SB multiple times over the last 10 years
GB twice (it wasn't like the Bears got good)
Bills (had they had more money they would have broke through one of those years)
Indy
Hell even the Rams.

There is a reason only 1 team has been able to perform the way teams did in the 60's, 70's, and 80's pre cap. It is harder to do with the cap. When you win SB's top flight players want to get paid and end up leaving town because teams can't pay everyone like they used to be able to.

Plus prior to the 80's a FA was someone over the hill, teams set what they would pay, not the players.

RunKC 06-07-2017 08:50 PM

The 2015 Broncos were a dynasty? Elway the greatest of all time? ROFL

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 12907040)
I guess the bigger picture to me is salary cap and guaranteed contracts. I don't think they mix very well. I love baseball as is and baseball will not move away from guaranteed contracts, their union is to strong. If football moved to fully guaranteed contracts like baseball but kept the hard cap you'd see an inferior product on the field. That and players would be signing a lot more 1 year contracts.

Farm system and years of control for players do keep baseball very interesting during a down stretch. Teams don't necessarily have to have short windows either. Think if the Royals hit on a draft pick recently. They could keep the run going. Guys like Colon, Starling, zimmer, new pick like ashe Russell.. some of these guys were high end picks. None are likely to step in and replace a Cain or a Moose.

Baseball can afford to pay guaranteed contracts because they play 150 more games a year and have the revenue to do so.

I like that NFL contracts are negotiated and not fully guaranteed, I wish they wouldn't be allowed to guarantee more than say 20% of a players contract so he has incentive to earn it unlike guys who get a big deal and then don't produce like Julius Thomas.

hometeam 06-07-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12907074)
So the loss of a 2nd round pick for talking for a guy you cut after 2 years is nothing?

Dynasty's that died since the inception of the Cap, some of these were blown apart before they could become Dynastic.

Dallas
San Fran
2015 Broncos - Could not overcome losing Jackson, Trevathan, and the 2nd greatest QB of all time
1999 Broncos Though the loss of the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME hurt too
Pitt - They draft really well but had to in order to get back to the SB multiple times over the last 10 years
GB twice (it wasn't like the Bears got good)
Bills (had they had more money they would have broke through one of those years)
Indy
Hell even the Rams.

There is a reason only 1 team has been able to perform the way teams did in the 60's, 70's, and 80's pre cap. It is harder to do with the cap. When you win SB's top flight players want to get paid and end up leaving town because teams can't pay everyone like they used to be able to.

Plus prior to the 80's a FA was someone over the hill, teams set what they would pay, not the players.

http://i.imgur.com/uJec9uJ.gif

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12907077)
The 2015 Broncos were a dynasty? ROFL

2 SB appearances in 3 years are the makings of a dynasty. Had they been able to keep Jackson and Trevathan last year they would have easily made the playoffs so it supports my argument.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12907077)
The 2015 Broncos were a dynasty? Elway the greatest of all time? ROFL

Who do you think the greatest QB is? Steve Bono? Elvis Grbac?

Broncos had 2 of the best QB's ever to play in the NFL one of which had the greatest single season a QB probably ever will have.

Elway was the prototypical QB, if you could build one he would look like John, buck teeth and all.

KranzDictum 06-07-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12907083)

Tommy* isn't even the best 6th round pick of all time, TD is. Maybe the best 6th round QB ever.

Trent Green GOAT 06-07-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12907093)

Broncos had 2 of the best QB's ever to play in the NFL one of which had the greatest single season a QB probably ever will have.

Elway was the prototypical QB, if you could build one he would look like John, buck teeth and all.

2 of The best QB's?

Pardon me have you seen that guy in New England? He's pretty good and the 49ers had a qb in the 80's who was pretty good too.

Don't get it twisted elway and manning are greats no doubt, but come on.

Willie Lanier 06-07-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12907093)

Troll shoes in full sprint!

JakeF 06-07-2017 09:23 PM

Absolutely needed

BlackHelicopters 06-08-2017 06:46 AM

Yes

Best22 06-08-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 12906232)

The Pirates getting bounced from the wildcard round counts as "success?"

Anyway, I think the MLB might more parity because the star players don't have as much impact as they do in football. Guys like Harper are just one in nine batters. Elite pitcher play just once every four or five games. Football is just a different sport. Brady and Gronk are out there EVERY PLAY. Same reason why dynasties happen so often in the NBA. Players have a huge impact.

jjchieffan 06-08-2017 08:30 AM

KranzRectum has gone full reerun now. Brady is most definitely the greatest ever. Then Montana, followed by Johnny Unitas. Those are without a doubt the top 3. Then you have the opportunity to at least bring Manning and ElFraud into the discussion. Although would rate Bart Starr and Otto Graham above him. I would rank both of them somewhere between 6 and 10. And actually, I would probably agree with you that ElFraud was better than fivehead. I always laugh at people who say Manning was the greatest ever. He wasn't even the greatest to play for either team he was on. He came in second to Unitas on the Colts and 2nd to ElFraud on the Donks.

Danguardace 06-08-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 12907542)
The Pirates getting bounced from the wildcard round counts as "success?"

Anyway, I think the MLB might more parity because the star players don't have as much impact as they do in football. Guys like Harper are just one in nine batters. Elite pitcher play just once every four or five games. Football is just a different sport. Brady and Gronk are out there EVERY PLAY. Same reason why dynasties happen so often in the NBA. Players have a huge impact.

In football a lot of the disparity is caused by or can be measured by Elite - Mediocre - Poor QB play.

Occasional defensive flare ups aside.

KranzDictum 06-08-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 12907576)
KranzRectum has gone full reerun now. Brady is most definitely the greatest ever. Then Montana, followed by Johnny Unitas. Those are without a doubt the top 3. Then you have the opportunity to at least bring Manning and ElFraud into the discussion. Although would rate Bart Starr and Otto Graham above him. I would rank both of them somewhere between 6 and 10. And actually, I would probably agree with you that ElFraud was better than fivehead. I always laugh at people who say Manning was the greatest ever. He wasn't even the greatest to play for either team he was on. He came in second to Unitas on the Colts and 2nd to ElFraud on the Donks.

Sure I was having some fun last night but you discount Manning almost as much as I over hype John.

Just look at the seasons the Pats and Colts had when Manning and Brady were hurt. Colts won what 2 games? Pats won 11 with Matt Cassell. Guys like Brady and Montana are system QBs, they are very good but still outside of that system not as great and he can be replaced, they didn't miss a beat last year with Grapplo. I don't think Brady makes a team better the way John did taking 3 teams to the SB who really shouldn't have been there. Colts took Luck to replace Manning yet he hasn't done anything that says he is going to be better. Belly builds the Pats so he can win with anyone on the roster.

Manning had the single best season by a QB in the history of the NFL, It is hard to rank guys in order but I would be happy if you considered John and Manning in the top 10 range. Manning is also the only QB to win a SB with 2 different teams. Farve, Warner, and Morton showed how hard that is to do.

I totally agree about Bart Starr. Dude is totally underrated, I have a bunch of his games on DVD and he was the key piece that made that team what it was even with Jim Taylor and the talent on the OL. Starr should be a top 4 or higher QB on any list.

Getting back on Topic, I don't think Lombardi could have kept that team together if he was dealing with the Cap and FA.

Over all I miss the days where you could keep a team together for 6-8 years like Pitt and Dallas used to be able to do but it does make it more fun to see new teams rise up and contend.