ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Just saw 'Split' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305667)

Deberg_1990 01-31-2017 08:28 PM

Just saw 'Split'

good flick. i actually enjoyed it alot.

But we have to discuss the end scene....

Spoiler!

ThaVirus 01-31-2017 10:27 PM

No one in my theater connected the dots. People were hella confused.

I already said this in the "new movies" thread but I thought it was better as a psychological thriller. Once it devolved into a pseudo-monster slasher it went to shit.

The concept of Dissociative Identity Disorder is pretty cool though. I wonder if any of how it was portrayed is true..

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2017 06:40 AM

That sounds dumb as **** ROFL Why??? Keep it creepy in the psycho route

Deberg_1990 02-01-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12720577)
That sounds dumb as **** ROFL Why??? Keep it creepy in the psycho route

It was a nice little thriller. Actually the movie works with or without that final scene.

Not sure why he did it? I had to explain to my daughter what it meant.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2017 07:14 AM

Sounds like a deberg thread quality ending to me

ThaVirus 02-01-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12720595)
Sounds like a deberg thread quality ending to me

I didn't like the ending myself. Not only was it hamfisted, the entire third act was like a totally different movie.

KC_Lee 02-01-2017 12:52 PM

So is Shyamalan trying to create an extended universe like Marvel or DC?

RobBlake 02-01-2017 01:05 PM

I thought it was a great movie. Just a simple psycho type film would have been basic. M night gets to much flack.. he tries things outside the box and I respect that in reboot Hollywood

Fish 02-01-2017 01:38 PM

So I was pretty drunk last night, and saw Split (2016) available in KODI. I watched the damn movie for almost 45 minutes before realizing it wasn't this M. Night version but another movie of the same name and year about some dumb chick that likes bowling.

BigRichard 02-01-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12721099)
So I was pretty drunk last night, and saw Split (2016) available in KODI. I watched the damn movie for almost 45 minutes before realizing it wasn't this M. Night version but another movie of the same name and year about some dumb chick that likes bowling.

ROFLYou must have been really drunk.

Beef Supreme 02-01-2017 03:04 PM

Has this Shamalamadingdong guy ever made a decent movie? He must have made something sort of OK at some point for people to keep burning money on his bonfire of shitty movies. Why do people give this guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe his next movie won't suck balls?

ThaVirus 02-01-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12721222)
Has this Shamalamadingdong guy ever made a decent movie? He must have made something sort of OK at some point for people to keep burning money on his bonfire of shitty movies. Why do people give this guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe his next movie won't suck balls?

You didn't like Sixth Sense?

Signs, Lady in the Water, Split, Unbreakable, The Visit and Devil were all pretty good.

The only true shitpieces, IMO, were The Village and After Earth.

RobBlake 02-01-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12721401)

Signs, Lady in the Water, Split, Unbreakable, The Visit and Devil were all pretty good.

The Village had so much potential...

RobBlake 02-01-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12720402)
No one in my theater connected the dots. People were hella confused.

I already said this in the "new movies" thread but I thought it was better as a psychological thriller. Once it devolved into a pseudo-monster slasher it went to shit.

The concept of Dissociative Identity Disorder is pretty cool though. I wonder if any of how it was portrayed is true..

Schizos and severe cases of it tends to come to mind

Beef Supreme 02-01-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12721401)

Of those:
I saw Unbreakable. It was decent.
I have heard of Sixth Sense and Signs. Never saw them.
Never heard of the others.

Coochie liquor 02-01-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12721099)

Lmao, we started to watch that version also. But only made it about 10 min in. Then I realized none of those people were in the trailer, and they were bowling. Glad I did it high and not drunk. Did find the new version on Kodi 2 nights ago and watched it.

Frazod 02-01-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12721432)
Of those:

Sixth Sense was amazing. Unbreakable was meh. Signs made me want to punch my TV. And the reviews for everything that came after, except for this last one, convinced me to never watch another one of his movies.

Still can't believe how much mileage this clown got out of one good flick made nearly 20 years ago.

Fish 02-01-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 12721638)
Lmao, we started to watch that version also. But only made it about 10 min in. Then I realized none of those people were in the trailer, and they were bowling. Glad I did it high and not drunk. Did find the new version on Kodi 2 nights ago and watched it.

I kept waiting for it to get all dark and creepy wondering when the bad guy was gonna show up... :D

Stryker 02-02-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12721410)
The Village had so much potential...

Yes it did - the ending made it but tooooooo late. Oh and don't forget The Happening - that would have been another awesome movie - beware the plants :facepalm:

Otter 02-02-2017 02:39 PM

Saw this last night and thought it was great. I'm not an easy person to make uncomfortable but there were some scenes that were watching a grown man cry (not just cry but bawl) uncomfortable. The dance scene and the uncle were the pinnacle of uneasiness. In two very different ways however.

James ****ing McAvoy nailed it. Boom nailed it!

8/10 just because of the theme flip at the ending. Best new movie I've seen in a long time. It's definitely worth a visit.

CoMoChief 02-02-2017 02:41 PM

Lady in the Water is top5 worst movies ever

Split was OK. Was actually kinda disappointed

Beef Supreme 02-02-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12722771)
Saw this last night and thought it was great. I'm not an easy person to make uncomfortable but there were some scenes that were watching a grown man cry (not just cry but bawl) uncomfortable. The dance scene and the uncle were the pinnacle of uneasiness. In two very different ways however.

James ****ing McAvoy nailed it. Boom nailed it!

8/10 just because of the theme flip at the ending. Best new movie I've seen in a long time. It's definitely worth a visit.

Making me uncomfortable is not usually on my list of reasons to go see a movie.

MMXcalibur 02-02-2017 03:02 PM

Me and the wife saw Split last week and were quite entertained.
I went in with the thought of "oh boy, another Sham-llama-ding-dong shitflick", but was actually presently surprised.

James McAvoy carried that movie and did a masterful job.
The lead chick had some nice tits and it distracted me near the climax of the movie.

KChiefs1 02-02-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Of those:

Watch Sixth Sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChiefs1 02-02-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 12722817)
Me and the wife saw Split last week and were quite entertained.
I went in with the thought of "oh boy, another Sham-llama-ding-dong shitflick", but was actually presently surprised.

The lead chick had some nice tits and it distracted me near the climax of the movie.

McAvoy was amazing in it. Can't imagine Joaquin Phoenix in that roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobBlake 02-02-2017 03:33 PM

James m has quickly become one of my fav actors.. he has this great energy to him which makes him a fantastic lead

Otter 02-02-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12722798)
Making me uncomfortable is not usually on my list of reasons to go see a movie.

Didn't mean the scenes made me cry but it was kind of like watching a grown man blubber where you want to look away but can't. Train wreck kinda way.</br></br>Think Silence of the Lambs where he tucks his weenie. Best analogy I could come up with on short notice. You'd be missing out if you let a couple cringe scenes keep you away.

Otter 02-02-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 12722817)

Truth. That was Emmy nomination acting.

Pepe Silvia 02-02-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12721645)
Sixth Sense was amazing. Unbreakable was meh. Signs made me want to punch my TV. And the reviews for everything that came after, except for this last one, convinced me to never watch another one of his movies.

Still can't believe how much mileage this clown got out of one good flick made nearly 20 years ago.

The most recent movie of his I've seen was Devil. It was just ok. I agree I don't get why he is so revered.

RobBlake 02-02-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 12722907)
The most recent movie of his I've seen was Devil. It was just ok. I agree I don't get why he is so revered.

It's cause he tries different type of storylines. I don't think he's the best director but he is somewhat original in a reboot happy Hollywood

Prison Bitch 02-02-2017 03:52 PM

6th Sense was spectacular. Unbreakable was good. Rest are trash. Watched "the visit" the other night on cable, it was so dumb my wife howled in laughter most of the time and she scares easily

DaneMcCloud 02-02-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Of those:

So, you've only seen one of his films but trash his career?

DaneMcCloud 02-02-2017 04:49 PM

The Sixth Sense was amazing. He could have called it a career after that film. I thought that Unbreakable was a genius film but it received a ton of backlash, which essentially made him scrap the sequels.

His career began to spiral because audiences expected a "twist" ending with every film, which is basically impossible.

The Franchise 02-02-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12723071)
The Sixth Sense was amazing. He could have called it a career after that film. I thought that Unbreakable was a genius film but it received a ton of backlash, which essentially made him scrap the sequels.

His career began to spiral because audiences expected a "twist" ending with every film, which is basically impossible.

Unbreakable was an awesome movie.

DaneMcCloud 02-02-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12723077)
Unbreakable was an awesome movie.

IMO, it's the greatest comic book movie of all time, just because of its originality.

eDave 02-02-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12723080)
IMO, it's the greatest comic book movie of all time, just because of its originality.

What kind of backlash did the movie receive? I loved it.

beach tribe 02-02-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12722932)
6th Sense was spectacular. Unbreakable was good. Rest are trash. Watched "the visit" the other night on cable, it was so dumb my wife howled in laughter most of the time and she scares easily

It was meant to be a horror comedy, though.

I haven't seen it. Just saying.

Frazod 02-02-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 12722907)

I liked Devil a lot. I actually looked it up just now because I had no idea he was involved with it. I think I saw it on TV after the opening credits had run. Had I seen his name I never would have watched it.

I would note that he didn't direct it. That seems to help.

Deberg_1990 02-02-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12723131)
What kind of backlash did the movie receive? I loved it.

I remember when 'Unbreakable' was originally released people complained about the ending. At the time I didn't like it and I'm still so so on it. I don't have a problem with the plot twist, just the way it was handled. Hated the title cards. That stuff should have been shown not flashed up with title cards

ThaVirus 02-02-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 12722772)
Lady in the Water is top5 worst movies ever

Split was OK. Was actually kinda disappointed

NO ONE seemed to have liked Lady in the Water but I thoroughly enjoyed it in my teens.

I actually own it though I haven't watched it in years. I'll have to give it another go and see if it holds up.

Frazod 02-02-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12723257)
I remember when 'Unbreakable' was originally released people complained about the ending. At the time I didn't like it and I'm still so so on it. I don't have a problem with the plot twist, just the way it was handled. Hated the title cards. That stuff should have been shown not flashed up with title cards

Yeah, I've kind of got a problem with an action movie that has no action in it.

ThaVirus 02-02-2017 07:15 PM

Was it marketed as an action film?

Frazod 02-02-2017 08:31 PM

Indestructible man in a comic book movie? Name another one that had less action.

Beef Supreme 02-02-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12722902)
Didn't mean the scenes made me cry but it was kind of like watching a grown man blubber where you want to look away but can't. Train wreck kinda way.</br></br>Think Silence of the Lambs where he tucks his weenie. Best analogy I could come up with on short notice. You'd be missing out if you let a couple cringe scenes keep you away.

I got what you meant. Something akin to full frontal of a big naked dude in a prison. Things that don't make my list of things that make me want to see a movie.

DaneMcCloud 02-03-2017 08:05 PM

M. Night marathon on HBO