ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid on Mike & Mike: "Alex is our quarterback by the way" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305527)

pugsnotdrugs19 01-26-2017 09:10 AM

Andy Reid on Mike & Mike: "Alex is our quarterback by the way"

Don't want to read too much into the conversation but just watched Andy on M&M this morning and he made it clear that Alex was the QB. Mentioned that he could still play, was at the Pro Bowl (:rolleyes:), and can do all the things he wants his guy to do.

In essence, we can put any talk of Tony Romo, Nick Foles, or any other retread to bed. But, they did talk about college system QBs briefly (no one specific), and he said that as long as they feel like a guy can learn, it is their job to transition a college system QB and that it doesn't effect their decision on which type to take.

So, will we draft a QB? Idk, my bet is on yes since Foles is apparently gone.

Reerun_KC 01-26-2017 09:11 AM

If you're gonna fail, go full Chiefs....

TimBone 01-26-2017 09:12 AM

This is our year!

FloridaMan88 01-26-2017 09:14 AM

Too early to read anything into this IMO.

Let's wait and see how the offseason plays out.

Ebolapox 01-26-2017 09:14 AM

eh, he's gotta say that. granted, at best there's like a 5% chance we move on from alex, but... all hope isn't completely lost. hell, we thought we had trent green for a fifth year too and his career pretty much ended b/c of concussions. what did alex have two of this year? all it takes is one. concussions may do it FOR us (though obviously not something I'm hoping for, I'd prefer a clean break without his salary on our books)

Ebolapox 01-26-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 12709904)
Too early to read anything into this IMO.

Let's wait and see how the offseason plays out.

or, I could've shortened my post up to...

This.

Red Dawg 01-26-2017 09:26 AM

If Alex is on the roster in March then Andy and Dorsey have failed. They are shoving a shit QB up our ass just like Pioli and they don't care. Nobody nation wide would look at the game film and think Smith will get us anywhere. His stats suck and we didn't win because of him.

Andy would never go on tv so early in the off season and say a negative but I don't like hearing it and none of us should be happy to hear it at all.

Rausch 01-26-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12709928)
If Alex is on the roster in March then Andy and Dorsey have failed.

He's too expensive to cut and only KC is dumb enough to make that kid of QB trade...

bricks 01-26-2017 09:29 AM

I guess that means as long as Andy Reid is here, so is Alex Smith.

And Andy Reid ain't getting fired either. **** this sorry ass franchise

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-26-2017 09:32 AM

Patriots are the clear favorite this year. Outside of that, there wasn't a single team that had any or much of an advantage over this year's Chiefs team. And that's considering many of our highest paid players contributed very little playing time.

Think about that

SAUTO 01-26-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12709938)
Patriots are the clear favorite this year. Outside of that, there wasn't a single team that had any or much of an advantage over this year's Chiefs team. And that's considering many of our highest paid players contributed very little playing time.

Think about that

think about ****ing yourself

Red Dawg 01-26-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12709929)
He's too expensive to cut and only KC is dumb enough to make that kid of QB trade...

No he isn't. Give Foles his 10. Cut Smith for 7 and you have his salary but you can start a better QB that gives us a chance to put up points and win.

Dorsey will be one stupid looking GM keeping Smith. Plain old stupid.

BlackHelicopters 01-26-2017 09:36 AM

Because Chiefs

Rausch 01-26-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12709945)
No he isn't. Give Foles his 10. Cut Smith for 7 and you have his salary but you can start a better QB that gives us a chance to put up points and win.

If we were going to do that last year was the year.

King_Chief_Fan 01-26-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Cut Foles and use the 10M on resign of key players.
Draft a QB to learn the system while Smith finishes out his contract

bricks 01-26-2017 09:37 AM

I feel good knowing Andy & Alex will be here probably for a few years at least and that Brady and Belicheck will most likely be in New England for another couple of years. That's just great knowing that if the Chiefs want to get to the Superbowl, they'd have to get past New England. This most likely mean we're gonna get our asses kicked for the next two years since Belicheck OWNS Reid.

wazu 01-26-2017 09:37 AM

There's always 2 years from now!

bricks 01-26-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 12709955)
There's always 2 years from now!

Well why not next year?

There is always next year you know?:p

Rausch 01-26-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 12709954)
I feel good knowing Andy & Alex will be here probably for a few years at least and that Brady and Belicheck will most likely be in New England for another couple of years. That's just great knowing that if the Chiefs want to get to the Superbowl, they'd have to get past New England. This most likely mean we're gonna get our asses kicked for the next two years since Belicheck OWNS Reid.

We have and can beat them.

We won't playing scared and losing our 1st game though...

The Franchise 01-26-2017 09:39 AM

Thanks for letting me know early. Won't be renewing Sunday Ticket this year.

RunKC 01-26-2017 09:43 AM

No coach is gonna trash their QB on tv/radio.

Alex will most likely start but I'm hoping there's a high draft pick waiting behind him

InChiefsHeaven 01-26-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Not that I'm all for Alex, but where does this idea of Foles being a superior QB come from?

DJ's left nut 01-26-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12709929)

No he isn't. This is the first year of his deal that cutting him actually creates a significant financial advantage.

Cut him before 3/11 when his roster bonus is due and the Chiefs will save right at $10 million. If they're able to put a June 1 tag on him (though that seems unlikely as 3/11 is the start of the new league year so I doubt you can put a June 1 designation in what is technically the 2016 league year), they'd save almost $14 million.

Smith can easily be cut and, IMO, should be.

DJ's left nut 01-26-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12709952)
If we were going to do that last year was the year.

No, because his '16 salary was fully guaranteed prior to the start of the '15 season.

Last year was a year he could not have been cut as there was no financial incentive at all. This year that all changes and the Chiefs could move on from him with relative ease.

Rausch 01-26-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12709977)

Should be, yes.

We could roll with Foles (no, I'm not saying he's great) for a few years and use the savings to resign Berry and Poe...

Buehler445 01-26-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12709928)
If Alex is on the roster in March then Andy and Dorsey have failed. They are shoving a shit QB up our ass just like Pioli and they don't care. Nobody nation wide would look at the game film and think Smith will get us anywhere. His stats suck and we didn't win because of him.

Andy would never go on tv so early in the off season and say a negative but I don't like hearing it and none of us should be happy to hear it at all.

Quote:

This isn't the same as Scott Franchise Killer Pioli. Alex Smith is worlds better than Casshole. He isn't going to win games by himself but he isn't the abortion that Casshole was. There is an objective conversation that could be had about whether Smith is the best available option given what's available. Casshole was obviously not.

That being said, the position is not optimal, it appears Smith has regressed and we need to be trying to get better at the position. A good faith effort to find a better QB needs to happen or there are problems.

Rausch 01-26-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12709986)

That being said, the position is not optimal, it appears Smith has regressed and we need to be trying to get better at the position. A good faith effort to find a better QB needs to happen or there are problems.

Exactly.

The last two seasons there was hope because about week 10 he'd turn it on and air it out. He took chances - he threw deep.

He never did this year. And he hasn't gotten any better at looking for or finding the deep man either...

Reerun_KC 01-26-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12709991)
Exactly.

The last two seasons there was hope because about week 10 he'd turn it on and air it out. He took chances - he threw deep.

He never did this year. And he hasn't gotten any better at looking for or finding the deep man either...

two concussions in one game will do that to you....

Dude is one hit away from being a drool bucket...

Red Dawg 01-26-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 12709976)
Not that I'm all for Alex, but where does this idea of Foles being a superior QB come from?

Really? How can he not be? Foles will stand in the pocket and make an attempt to throw tds and deliver the ball. Smith abandons the pocket for no reason and doesn't throw tds. Foles can produce more than 15 tds, hell any qb could. Alex hurts the entire teams offense since he is so easily defended.

RunKC 01-26-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12709995)
Really? How can he not be? Foles will stand in the pocket and make an attempt to throw tds and deliver the ball. Smith abandons the pocket for no reason and doesn't throw tds. Foles can produce more than 15 tds, hell any qb could. Alex hurts the entire teams offense since he is so easily defended.

Alex is most likely going to be the starting QB of this team despite what all of us want.

You might as well get used to that bc we all know it's gonna happen

The Franchise 01-26-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12710008)
Alex is most likely going to be the starting QB of this team despite what all of us want.

You might as well get used to that bc we all know it's gonna happen

If Reid goes into next season with Smith as the starter and they don't draft a QB in the first 2 days......then Reid can get the **** out of here as well.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-26-2017 10:08 AM

So increased strength of schedule , run game less efficient, yet Smiths passing efficiency went up and people are saying he regressed? You can make that argument in red zone efficiency compared to 2015 but that falls mostly on Maclin who admitted he was way off his game

If you don't like Dorsey/ Reid then stop watching

crayzkirk 01-26-2017 10:09 AM

Two more years of football purgatory. Alex Smith is a fine quarterback for this team. Fill the stands with people willing to pay $40 for parking, $12 for a beer, $8 for a sammich and $5 for a soda. This isn't even including the price of a ticket.

Other teams seem to get it; take a chance on a franchise changing player, doesn't work out so the team loses a lot of games and gets another chance. That is the downside to taking a chance, the upside is hitting on a player that will make your franchise relevant for fifteen years.

As a fan, I'm just losing interest in watching the same Chiefs team every year. Build a good defense and special teams with the expectations that they will bail out the offense.

The Chiefs should market themselves as shampoo; lather, rinse and repeat.

ClevelandBronco 01-26-2017 10:09 AM

I was kind of hoping Alex would hit the open market and visit Denver. No shit.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-26-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 12710019)
Two more years of football purgatory. Alex Smith is a fine quarterback for this team. Fill the stands with people willing to pay $40 for parking, $12 for a beer, $8 for a sammich and $5 for a soda. This isn't even including the price of a ticket.

Other teams seem to get it; take a chance on a franchise changing player, doesn't work out so the team loses a lot of games and gets another chance. That is the downside to taking a chance, the upside is hitting on a player that will make your franchise relevant for fifteen years.

As a fan, I'm just losing interest in watching the same Chiefs team every year. Build a good defense and special teams with the expectations that they will bail out the offense.

The Chiefs should market themselves as shampoo; lather, rinse and repeat.

4 straight winning seasons isn't franchise changing after the pioli era?

PAChiefsGuy 01-26-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 12709907)
eh, he's gotta say that. granted, at best there's like a 5% chance we move on from alex, but... all hope isn't completely lost. hell, we thought we had trent green for a fifth year too and his career pretty much ended b/c of concussions. what did alex have two of this year? all it takes is one. concussions may do it FOR us (though obviously not something I'm hoping for, I'd prefer a clean break without his salary on our books)

Wow bro. Wishing a concussion on our QB because you want an elite one? It's just a game. That's someone's life you are talking about.

I stand by what I've always said, Alex Smith is a good QB. Boring but good. He isn't great but he is fine for now until we find something better. We can win with him. We get a better RB and oline, don't have so many injuries to our dline and we'll be in the SB in no time... We are so close to getting there. Just a little patience and I believe we will be there and possibly win it with Alex Smith as our QB.

We can win with him and that's all that matters. He's not Cassel no matter how hard you QB-obsessed fans want to make him out to be.

bricks 01-26-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 12709993)
two concussions in one game will do that to you....

Dude is one hit away from being a drool bucket...

Alex Smith will be the perfect comedy/horror show within two years from now.

May as well go with this guy at QB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkV42m5wVTk

The Franchise 01-26-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12710016)
So increased strength of schedule , run game less efficient, yet Smiths passing efficiency went up and people are saying he regressed? You can make that argument in red zone efficiency compared to 2015 but that falls mostly on Maclin who admitted he was way off his game

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...tfield.0.0.gif

Baby Lee 01-26-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 12709976)

Don't you know that the Chiefs are one of the most impressive and formidable squads 2-53 in the history of the sport, but they have the worst QB to ever take a snap.

Doesn't matter though, they will never do ANYTHING [by which we mean, the only thing, multiple SB blowout wins], until they get one of those QBs which put the team on their shoulders and guarantee stress-free victories every week regardless of the scrubs that surround him.

For the life of me I don't know why they don't just shut down the league and bring back the pro-bowl weekend QB skills challenge. Cheaper, more efficient, cuts to the chase. Whomever put the most oblong balls through the flaming hoops is king of the world.

Reerun_KC 01-26-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12710028)

:eek:

Holy Dear Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus...

That is glorious...

philfree 01-26-2017 10:20 AM

Anyone who wants Foles is blinded by their hate for Alex Smith. The guy got lucky and completed a couple of bloopers down field. Big whoop. The guy sucks. Foles will sign a reduced contract or he'll be gone and he should be gone and replaced with a QBOTF. Smith should sign a new team friendly contract that creates a little cap space and is easy to move on from in a couple years as the next QB takes the reins.

On a different note didn't Andy say the same thing about McNabb just before he was traded to a division rival?

Molitoth 01-26-2017 10:21 AM

Get ready for Matt Cassel 2012.

Reerun_KC 01-26-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 12710037)
Anyone who wants Foles is blinded by their hate for Alex Smith. The guy got lucky and completed a couple of bloopers down field. Big whoop. The guy sucks. Foles will sign a reduced contract or he'll be gone and he should be gone and replaced with a QBOTF. Smith should sign a new team friendly contract that creates a little cap space and is easy to move on from in a couple years as the next QB takes the reins.

On a different note didn't Andy say the same thing about McNabb just before he was traded to a division rival?

Says so much about just how pathetic our QB situation has been over the last 2 decades...

Ebolapox 01-26-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12710023)

nope. we made one step forward: we won a playoff game we were supposed to win. anything short of TWO playoff wins isn't franchise changing, it's SSDD. aka, just good enough to not ever win a super bowl.

that just isn't good enough. where, precisely, is the franchise change there? haven't we been stuck on this cycle of not good enough for a LONG time?!?

Baby Lee 01-26-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12709986)
This isn't the same as Scott Franchise Killer Pioli. Alex Smith is worlds better than Casshole. He isn't going to win games by himself but he isn't the abortion that Casshole was. There is an objective conversation that could be had about whether Smith is the best available option given what's available. Casshole was obviously not.

Chiefs goals

1. Improvement across the squad, skills and health.
2. Serious effort in divining and obtaining a suitable replacement for an aging QB to groom.

Ebolapox 01-26-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 12710026)
Wow bro. Wishing a concussion on our QB because you want an elite one? It's just a game. That's someone's life you are talking about.

who, precisely, was rooting for a concussion? I was pointing out that he's had two. that we've had a QB lost pretty much for good (I know he played a bit for the phins, but trent was never the same again). it's a concern they absolutely should take seriously.

but there was no active rooting for a concussion. as a matter of fact, I'd much rather cut bait with him than put him in uniform again only for him to get another concussion and risk longterm head injury.

Rausch 01-26-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

So increased strength of schedule , run game less efficient, yet Smiths passing efficiency went up and people are saying he regressed? You can make that argument in red zone efficiency compared to 2015 but that falls mostly on Maclin who admitted he was way off his game.

Hill and team leading YPC Ware had nothing to do with that?

OUR HB HAD THE HIGHEST YARDS PER CATCH ON THE TEAM.

Quote:

What a stupid opinion.

I guess we should have said the same thing about Haley/Ca$$hole/Pioli?...

Mr. Laz 01-26-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

can do all the things he wants his guy to do
Andy Reid has the guy he wants, Smith passing up risks is what Andy prefers

Alex Smith throwing to the 1st option is what Andy WANTS

He does NOT want a Donovan McNabb who freelances around

Dorsey has not drafted a QB early because Reid doesn't want another QB. Period.

Andy.****ing.Reid

Baby Lee 01-26-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12710054)

Just curious, how aware were you all of how much I detested the HCP era from its inception. Was it like a daily topic of rumination and agita?

Rausch 01-26-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12710060)
Just curious, how aware were you all of how much I detested the HCP era from its inception. Was it like a daily topic of rumination and agita?

I liked the Pioli hire. I hated the Haley/Ca$$hole moves and felt the deck was stacked at that point.

IIRC you supported the Haley hire at first...

DJ's left nut 01-26-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12710054)
What a stupid opinion.

Here's the good news - he'll stop watching before we do.

Because Alex Smith has, at most, one season left under center for the Kansas City Chiefs. The only argument to be had is whether the Chiefs should grab someone now to groom in a relatively weak QB class or save their powder for next year and grab their guy then and start him immediately.

Alex Smith won't be here in 2018 and Tiger will be gone once Smith is.

I was here before Matt Cassel and I'll be here long after Alex Smith.

The Franchise 01-26-2017 10:38 AM

So how many TDs will Alex throw for next year? 12? Oh but his completion % will jump up another couple of spots.

Improvement!

Rausch 01-26-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12710080)

Because Alex Smith has, at most, one season left under center for the Kansas City Chiefs.

I wish I believed that, but I don't.

I'd bet my next paycheck if we drafted a QB in round 1 Alex would see the writing on the wall and open it up a metric ****-ton...

Rausch 01-26-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12710082)
So how many TDs will Alex throw for next year? 12? Oh but his completion % will jump up another couple of spots.

Improvement!

12 TD's with 1 INT and 98% completion percentage!

Dayze 01-26-2017 10:44 AM

Guys, just remember....from the 50, anything is possible.

The Franchise 01-26-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12710094)
Guys, just remember....from the 50, anything is possible.

Yeah....and with Alex, it will take us 7 minutes and 19 plays to get to the endzone. And then it's time for 3 points!

Baby Lee 01-26-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12710075)
I liked the Pioli hire. I hated the Haley/Ca$$hole moves and felt the deck was stacked at that point.

IIRC you supported the Haley hire at first...

There's a difference between giving things a chance and liking them as optimum solutions.

Of the 3, Haley was the most aggressive and skilled in his vocation, that's not to say gifted.

Ebolapox 01-26-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12710097)
Yeah....and with Alex, it will take us 7 minutes and 19 plays to get to the 25 yard line...

fyp

ptlyon 01-26-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12710085)
12 TD's with 1 INT and 98% completion percentage!

12-4!
23-6(or whatever it was)
1 & done!
WBF!

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-26-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12710080)

Because Alex Smith has, at most, one season left under center for the Kansas City Chiefs. The only argument to be had is whether the Chiefs should grab someone now to groom in a relatively weak QB class or save their powder for next year and grab their guy then and start him immediately.

Alex Smith won't be here in 2018 and Tiger will be gone once Smith is.

I was here before Matt Cassel and I'll be here long after Alex Smith.

So this is your butt hurt way of admitting that your strategy of releasing Smith is now 1 in 500? Smith will be 33 going into next year. Most long time veterans peak going into their mid thirties. Fact, not fiction.

The Franchise 01-26-2017 11:03 AM

15 TDs is peaking. Got it.

Buns 01-26-2017 11:05 AM

I hope Andy and Dorsey beat this drum all year and then we take two QBs in the first four rounds and then the next day Alex retires before his eggs get scrambled.

Rausch 01-26-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12710101)
There's a difference between giving things a chance and liking them as optimum solutions.

Of the 3, Haley was the most aggressive and skilled in his vocation, that's not to say gifted.

I would argue he was much less experienced than Pissholi and Clearly gifted his position due to his name.

Me and you couldn't take 3 pro bowl WR's and a HOF QB and make them a SB team but most OC's (not named Reid) could.

He now finds himself in a very similar position in Pitt...

ptlyon 01-26-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12710134)
15 TDs is peaking. Got it.

Meat peeking, maybe

Baby Lee 01-26-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12710138)
I would argue he was much less experienced than Pissholi and Clearly gifted his position due to his name.

Me and you couldn't take 3 pro bowl WR's and a HOF QB and make them a SB team but most OC's (not named Reid) could.

He now finds himself in a very similar position in Pitt...

I said 'of the 3' not of all OCs, let alone Reid.

DaneMcCloud 01-26-2017 11:07 AM

If the Chiefs go into the season with Alex Smith as the starter, we can fully expect a 10-12 win season and an early, if not One And Done, playoff exist.

He's hit his ceiling and is in decline. Even if the Chiefs were to get massive improvement from the guards, a dynamic running back and a wide receiver that's in Hill's stratosphere, Alex would be unable to take advantage of those weapons.

It's truly time to move on because we've all seen how this movie ends.

Fish 01-26-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

No he isn't. This is the first year of his deal that cutting him actually creates a significant financial advantage.

Cut him before 3/11 when his roster bonus is due and the Chiefs will save right at $10 million. If they're able to put a June 1 tag on him (though that seems unlikely as 3/11 is the start of the new league year so I doubt you can put a June 1 designation in what is technically the 2016 league year), they'd save almost $14 million.

There's no way in hell the Chiefs are going to cut him before the draft. 0% chance.

Rausch 01-26-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12710142)
I said 'of the 3' not of all OCs, let alone Reid.

I wouldn't say skilled but I would agree on aggressive.

The Franchise 01-26-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12710145)
There's no way in hell the Chiefs are going to cut him before the draft. 0% chance.

Unless they think that Foles can do the same job that Smith did last year.

Fish 01-26-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12710148)

It's not the Chiefs way to make that kind of gamble. Even though they should....

Rausch 01-26-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

And I think he would fall short. He likely would have.

And I don't think there's a chance in hell Alex isn't our starter next year...

DJ's left nut 01-26-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

I wish they'd have just guaranteed $2 million of his salary that triggers on 3/11 rather than offering him a $2 million roster bonus.

The guaranteed salary trigger would travel with Smith if traded after the draft. The roster bonus is just absorbed. It wouldn't have made a difference to Smith either way as he'd still be getting his $2 million, though I guess he wouldn't have gotten it in a single check.

That said, as you've noted, they could easily determine that Foles is preferable to Smith and I still think the structure of Foles deal was with the mind that they could make exactly that decision.

If they thought there was zero chance that Foles stays instead of Smith, that 2nd year wouldn't have been almost exactly the same as their saved cap in the event Smith is cut. that contract was constructed in a manner that allows them to maintain the same cap structure regardless of who they chose.

And that tells me that they at least considered the possibility that there was a choice to be made.

I'm not closing that door just yet.

The Franchise 01-26-2017 11:15 AM

Cutting Foles outright versus cutting Smith would only increase the cap by $1M. I'm holding out hope that they:

1. Cut or trade Smith.
2. Keep Foles.
3. Draft a QB in the 1st round.

Let the rookie and Foles battle it out in TC.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-26-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12710143)
If the Chiefs go into the season with Alex Smith as the starter, we can fully expect a 10-12 win season and an early, if not One And Done, playoff exist.

He's hit his ceiling and is in decline. Even if the Chiefs were to get massive improvement from the guards, a dynamic running back and a wide receiver that's in Hill's stratosphere, Alex would be unable to take advantage of those weapons.

It's truly time to move on because we've all seen how this movie ends.

Maclin had a career efficient season in year one with Smith ... Kelce leads tight ends in production...
That's not taking advantage of weapons?

OK, guy.

ThaVirus 01-26-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Cut?

Surely we could net something for him in a trade if Sam Bradford was moved for a 1st rounder.

Rausch 01-26-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12710163)
Maclin had a career efficient season in year one with Smith ...

Since then Maclin has been an excellent run blocker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12710163)
Kelce leads tight ends in production...

Due to YAC...

The Franchise 01-26-2017 11:19 AM

Not sure if it's tracked anywhere.....but I'd bet that Smith leads the league in passing yards gained by YAC.

crayzkirk 01-26-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12710023)

Not really in my opinion. How many winning seasons did Marty have? What did that get the fans in Kansas City? A lot of sitting through playoff losses in cold seats at Arrowhead. I'm sure there are a lot of fans that would love to have a successful regular season team like the Chiefs. I'm not satisfied with almost good enough.

Smith is fine for Kansas City, it's what the Chiefs do. Safe, won't cause trouble, will beat the teams they should. He's a good guy, does a lot of good things for disadvantaged kids. He isn't the whole problem however he also isn't the solution.

In my opinion, he has not been the same player after the head shots he took in Indy. His scrambling was way down this year. Did defenses adapt? I don't know however I keep seeing the Chief Shampoo every year.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

stevieray 01-26-2017 11:20 AM

YAC is a part of Andy's scheme.

carcosa 01-26-2017 11:21 AM

Goo cheehusfs