ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poop How much data does your household use? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304824)

MTG#10 12-31-2016 05:53 PM

How much data does your household use?

For years I never had to pay any attention to my internet data use, I was grandfathered-in to Mediacoms unlimited bandwidth. But the last couple years they capped everyone. I only noticed because I got billed an additional $20 awhile back for going over my unknown 250gb/month limit.

After that I raised it to their biggest package which is 1 Tb/month thinking I'd never come close to that, and I havent until now. New Year's eve and I only have 8gb left before the new cycle starts tomorrow. I shut down the wifi and my kids are losing it, never realized how important internet access was until they lost it.

eDave 12-31-2016 08:40 PM

I never come close to my 500MB limit. Except for that one time I had to hot spot for work. That was expensive.

unlurking 12-31-2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12651233)
I never come close to my 500MB limit. Except for that one time I had to hot spot for work. That was expensive.

He's talking about cable, not cell.

eDave 12-31-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12651248)
He's talking about cable, not cell.

I was gonna say. That's a lot of data!

My bad

unlurking 12-31-2016 08:56 PM

Yeah, I easily hit 1TB every month. I telework a lot via always on VPN. Would suck to have data caps.

hometeam 12-31-2016 09:19 PM

I dont track mine but im way over 1tb. I have no limits~

Nickhead 12-31-2016 09:35 PM

1TB limit, use about half. :D

Pointer19 12-31-2016 11:56 PM

Couldn't say for cable.. my brothers use up our whole family plan's data even though they live with free wifi. :banghead:

mnchiefsguy 01-01-2017 11:43 AM

A TB of data sounds like a lot, but in the age of HD Video Streams, it is not nearly as much as you think.

We easily hit 1 TB or more a month.

BWillie 01-01-2017 01:17 PM

About 800 GB

kcfanXIII 01-04-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 12651058)
I shut down the wifi and my kids are losing it, never realized how important internet access was until they lost it.

Our service went out a few weeks ago, and my roommate's kid acted like the sky was falling. I don't know how many times I explained to her that the WiFi and broadband are two separate things. She kept saying "It says I'm connected to the wifi but I don't have service." She was throwing a fit all weekend.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I hate when my service goes out, but I'm not going to spend 48 hours bitching about it. She was being a spoiled unappreciative brat. I'm going to have to check into this shit, and start throttling access if I've got a cap.

alpha_omega 01-04-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 12659861)
Our service went out a few weeks ago, and my roommate's kid acted like the sky was falling. I don't know how many times I explained to her that the WiFi and broadband are two separate things. She kept saying "It says I'm connected to the wifi but I don't have service." She was throwing a fit all weekend.
.........but I'm not going to spend 48 hours bitching about it. She was being a spoiled unappreciative brat......

That whole situation sounds intolerable.

DaFace 01-04-2017 11:01 AM

Probably about 300 GB per month.

Buehler445 01-04-2017 11:05 AM

IDK. All I know is I don't want to **** with limits.

lawrenceRaider 01-04-2017 12:02 PM

Data limits are the most artificial bogus thing perpetrated on customers ever, for broadband anyway. Data is incredibly cheap and ISP's make a KILLING even with infrastructure spending, if they even bother. I had TWC in Texas and never had slow connection issues. Cox on the other hand here in Wichita is just awful. Even connected directly to the modem, speeds top out around 115, when I'm paying for "up to" 150. Ping is not good as well. Also have intermittent slow downs for no apparent reason. No other option for me though so I'm stuck with it. Also paying more for less.

We hit around 550 gb most months with a 1tb cap. Might be more this month with the kids home over winter break.

Aspengc8 01-04-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 12660061)
Data limits are the most artificial bogus thing perpetrated on customers ever, for broadband anyway. Data is incredibly cheap and ISP's make a KILLING even with infrastructure spending, if they even bother. I had TWC in Texas and never had slow connection issues. Cox on the other hand here in Wichita is just awful. Even connected directly to the modem, speeds top out around 115, when I'm paying for "up to" 150. Ping is not good as well. Also have intermittent slow downs for no apparent reason. No other option for me though so I'm stuck with it. Also paying more for less.

We hit around 550 gb most months with a 1tb cap. Might be more this month with the kids home over winter break.

Unfortunately most triple play providers oversubscribe all their GPON gear, so you might have 20 subscribers on one multiplexer all fighting for 1Gb total throughput. That's why you might not be able to hit the "up to" limit, especially during peak traffic hours. Different ISP's charge various amounts for connectivity, it all depends on service level agreements, up-time availability and other contractual tid-bits. For example, the ISP I have been an engineer for most of my career, peers with 4 major Tier 1 ISP's. None are even priced in the same ballpark, and one is extremely shady (Cogent). I engineered for Mediacom for a few years, and had a few encounters with angry local customers while dining out. I learned real quick to stop wearing company swag out in public.

lawrenceRaider 01-05-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 12660302)
Unfortunately most triple play providers oversubscribe all their GPON gear, so you might have 20 subscribers on one multiplexer all fighting for 1Gb total throughput. That's why you might not be able to hit the "up to" limit, especially during peak traffic hours. Different ISP's charge various amounts for connectivity, it all depends on service level agreements, up-time availability and other contractual tid-bits. For example, the ISP I have been an engineer for most of my career, peers with 4 major Tier 1 ISP's. None are even priced in the same ballpark, and one is extremely shady (Cogent). I engineered for Mediacom for a few years, and had a few encounters with angry local customers while dining out. I learned real quick to stop wearing company swag out in public.

I have a good friend who owns a small ISP and was on his board for a few years. I do understand what you are saying, and with the profit margins Cox and the rest make on selling broadband, they should be upgrading their network, not just pocketing the profits. TWC made major upgrades when I lived in TX and the speed increases were amazing. Of course they faced actual competition there from a couple other data providers who were also upgrading their networks.

kcxiv 01-08-2017 11:20 AM

Comcast recently capped us at 1TB as well. I went over one month, but not this month. I know watch Netflix in 720 instead of 1080. Its mostly streaming tv that causes most of the data, but if i constantly go over, im just going to end up canceling cable tv.

dj56dt58 01-08-2017 06:31 PM

I just told my internet company to **** off (literally, multiple times, they threated to call the cops lol)

Just upped my att data plan to 25 gb using hotspot. might switch to dtv just to get unlimited data

Lex Luthor 01-08-2017 07:52 PM

I'm a Google Fiber customer. As far as I can tell my overall data usage isn't even reported back to me. I just logged into the customer portal and I couldn't find anything telling me how many gigabytes I've transferred.

I have no idea what my usage is, but I know it's a lot. I VPN into work all the time, and every now and then I use a Bit Torrents client to download movies and TV shows. I stream movies and TV shows all the time to my iPad when I'm not at home.

If I had a data cap, I'd have to completely change my use of the Internet.

BigRedChief 01-08-2017 08:54 PM

>1TB a month

King_Chief_Fan 01-09-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 12667423)
Comcast recently capped us at 1TB as well. I went over one month, but not this month. I know watch Netflix in 720 instead of 1080. Its mostly streaming tv that causes most of the data, but if i constantly go over, im just going to end up canceling cable tv.

ATT&T capped me to 1TB...not sure why, I never come close to using that much.

loochy 01-09-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 12651058)
How much data does your household use?

About 13 gallons.

Buehler445 01-09-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 12669423)
I just told my internet company to **** off (literally, multiple times, they threated to call the cops lol)

Just upped my att data plan to 25 gb using hotspot. might switch to dtv just to get unlimited data

There is a 2 GB limit on hotspot in the unlimited data plan. At least that's what the pole smokers told me. Let me know if that isn't the case.

DJ's left nut 01-09-2017 11:11 AM

I use about 4 Gigs on my phone.

Wife uses about 1G.

It would be much more than that if I tried to use my phone as my internet hub as well. I've never tracked it but I know we have people on our work plan that will use theirs as an online streaming device at home and they'll use 150 gigs/month.

Needless to say, they were not allowed to stay on the plan.

Shaid 01-13-2017 07:57 AM

Didn't even know data limits existed with home internet. I guarantee I exceed a TB because I work at home and have DirectTV Now so I'm basically sucking bandwidth for my work computer plus a stream in the background all day long. We also have Netflix and Kodi and 5 tvs in the house, the kids always have something on.

WhitiE 01-13-2017 02:42 PM

800-900G

Mecca 01-18-2017 11:34 AM

I'm sitting here on the 18th at 1115 and my cap limit would be 1024..hence why I switched my Comcast to unlimited.

Kinda ridiculous how they punish us for actually using their internet. So I guess the extra 50 a month is cheaper than the overage prices.

Aspengc8 01-18-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 12695112)
I'm sitting here on the 18th at 1115 and my cap limit would be 1024..hence why I switched my Comcast to unlimited.

Kinda ridiculous how they punish us for actually using their internet. So I guess the extra 50 a month is cheaper than the overage prices.

They aren't punishing you, just trying to cover the hardware costs for additional 10/40Gb upstream connections to accommodate the rise in bandwidth needs. Most ISP's are cheapo's.

mnchiefsguy 01-18-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 12695199)
They aren't punishing you, just trying to cover the hardware costs for additional 10/40Gb upstream connections to accommodate the rise in bandwidth needs. Most ISP's are cheapo's.

Bullshit.

Aspengc8 01-18-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12695292)
Bullshit.

Mind elaborating on what exactly you think is BS?