ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What would you do if offered a paid relocation to Punta Cana? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302418)

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 09:58 AM

What would you do if offered a paid relocation to Punta Cana?

Because that's what just happened in my world. I literally just took a job as the Director of Sales for a company running 6-8 road teams and it's a great job. This would be a demotion but it's a ****ing paid relocation to Punta Cana and housing on an all inclusive 5 star resort for 60 days. I have zero kids. A couple of dogs that would have to come later. It's a demotion however, although it's still plenty of money in a place that requires very little. Closer to Venezuela than Florida so the Coke runs like water. Whew. Part of me says stay focused on retiring ASAP, and part of me says YOLO this kind of is. What would you do? What would Jesus do? What would Nickhead do?

WhawhaWhat 09-23-2016 10:00 AM

Cheap coke and hookers.

Shag 09-23-2016 10:01 AM

Quality of life > title. Do it, and live the life of Dominican luxury. You could probably retire a lot earlier down there, given the cost of living.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:07 AM

So the job is only for 60 days or you have to find housing after 60 days?

Bwana 09-23-2016 10:08 AM

Hmm, have you ever been to the Dominican Republic? There would pro's and con's for sure. I would take a trip down there for at least a couple of weeks and check stuff out first. Reading things about it on the internet is all good, but until you actually experience the place, you won't really know.

ChiTown 09-23-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443644)

My question as well

scho63 09-23-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443628)
Because that's what just happened in my world. I literally just took a job as the Director of Sales for a company running 6-8 road teams and it's a great job. This would be a demotion but it's a ****ing paid relocation to Punta Cana and housing on an all inclusive 5 star resort for 60 days. I have zero kids. A couple of dogs that would have to come later. It's a demotion however, although it's still plenty of money in a place that requires very little. Closer to Venezuela than Florida so the Coke runs like water. Whew. Part of me says stay focused on retiring ASAP, and part of me says YOLO this kind of is. What would you do? What would Jesus do? What would Nickhead do?

Do you have the discipline not to go hog wild in a place like that and focus on work? :hmmm:

As far as a "demotion", titles mean shit in the broader context of things. I've had 3 VP titles and those 3 jobs I made the LEAST amount of money in my life. My three best "titles' where I made the most money; Pressman, Business Development Manager, and Senior Account Manager.

Unless you are going from the CEO to the janitor, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, what are the RISKS of the job in Punta Cana? Could you get there and a month later they fire you? (Had that happen to me when I moved to Toronto and the company's VC's stop funding the company and they shut it down after 4 years. I was there for just two weeks after leaving the US.) :shake:

Yosef_Malkovitch 09-23-2016 10:13 AM

When you're on your deathbed, do you think you'll be made happier by the fact that you've got a couple more bucks in the bank, or the fact that you've got some awesome memories?

Plus, the fact that you're unmarried, means no constraints on you. No wife/kids to support means you simply don't need nearly as much $$ to get by, and you can still sock away for retirement.

Heck, if I had never gotten married and changed nothing else about my life, I would have been able to retire at 50. So there's your pay raise right there: just take the job and remain unmarried. Or, if you marry, don't have kids. Unless you just want 'em I suppose.

YOLO.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

There are probably fewer of us racist mouth-breathers down there so you'll have that going for you.

But whatever you choose, you should probably **** yourself first. Lord knows no woman will be doing it for you.

hometeam 09-23-2016 10:14 AM

I have been there and its kind of a shithole. That being said, im sure there plenty of good things to go along with it.

Bowser 09-23-2016 10:16 AM

How much of a cut in pay would you be looking at? And Pest's question is important, too.

I spent a week on a resort in Punta Cana this last winter. Beautiful place, and seems to be a little better off than Jamaica when you get away from the resorts. That's all the info on the Dominican I can give you, lol.

vailpass 09-23-2016 10:16 AM

Stay focused on your current path and work your plan. You are in the prime earning stage of your life to this point, a step backwards would be surrendering ground you may never recover. Secure your retirement first. Over the next few year take a vacation to Punta Cana and other locales, maybe more than one, see if you'd want to retire there.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosef_Malkovitch (Post 12443659)
When you're on your deathbed, do you think you'll be made happier by the fact that you've got a couple more bucks in the bank, or the fact that you've got some awesome memories?

Plus, the fact that you're unmarried, means no constraints on you. No wife/kids to support means you simply don't need nearly as much $$ to get by, and you can still sock away for retirement.

Heck, if I had never gotten married and changed nothing else about my life, I would have been able to retire at 50. So there's your pay raise right there: just take the job and remain unmarried. Or, if you marry, don't have kids. Unless you just want 'em I suppose.

YOLO.

Unless I've missed something in the last year.....he's married.

O.city 09-23-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12443666)
How much of a cut in pay would you be looking at? And Pest's question is important, too.

I spent a week on a resort in Punta Cana this last winter. Beautiful place, and seems to be a little better off than Jamaica when you get away from the resorts. That's all the info on the Dominican I can give you, lol.

I'm going to Jamaica next week, is it bad?

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443644)

The job is as long as I want it, but free housing is just 60 days.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443673)
The job is as long as I want it, but free housing is just 60 days.

Will your current job be there when you get back?

Bwana 09-23-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12443671)

As long as you stick to the resort areas it's fine, if you wonder too far from those established area's it's not. Jamaica is pretty much the scourge of the Caribbean in the eyes of most other countries in the area.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443647)
Hmm, have you ever been to the Dominican Republic? There would pro's and con's for sure. I would take a trip down there for at least a couple of weeks and check stuff out first. Reading things about it on the internet is all good, but until you actually experience the place, you won't really know.

Good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12443657)
Do you have the discipline not to go hog wild in a place like that and focus on work? :hmmm:

As far as a "demotion", titles mean shit in the broader context of things. I've had 3 VP titles and those 3 jobs I made the LEAST amount of money in my life. My three best "titles' where I made the most money; Pressman, Business Development Manager, and Senior Account Manager.

Unless you are going from the CEO to the janitor, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, what are the RISKS of the job in Punta Cana? Could you get there and a month later they fire you? (Had that happen to me when I moved to Toronto and the company's VC's stop funding the company and they shut it down after 4 years. I was there for just two weeks after leaving the US.) :shake:

It's possible, but highly doubtful. I'll be financially secure enough to come home and get back to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12443663)
There are probably fewer of us racist mouth-breathers down there so you'll have that going for you.

But whatever you choose, you should probably **** yourself first. Lord knows no woman will be doing it for you.

You're such an angry little possum!!!

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443676)
Will your current job be there when you get back?

No. It's risk vs reward. If I kill it, I can get those jobs at a lot more locations. If I don't, I come back and have to work my back into that role. I'm not established as a Director. Senior manager is where I just graduated from.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443669)
Unless I've missed something in the last year.....he's married.

As DJ eluded too, I did in fact get married. I found the one woman on Earth who would **** me. ;)

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-23-2016 10:25 AM

The first thing I would do is find out if anyone who previously held the position is still alive.

If yes, I'd seek their advice.

If no, I'd have to punt.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-23-2016 10:26 AM

Did you ever get the ukulele, Flop?

Dinny

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 12443689)
The first thing I would do is find out if anyone who previously held the position is still alive.

If yes, I'd seek their advice.

If no, I'd have to punt.

Dinny

That's actually some solid advice. LMAO The DR is a shit hole outside of the resort areas from my very limited understanding.

Donger 09-23-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't even consider it without them paying to send you down there to check it out first, presuming you've never been there.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 12443690)
Did you ever get the ukulele, Flop?

Dinny

I have not.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:28 AM

Honestly man....I'd stay where I was at. You've already said that your current job is a great job and you're working toward your retirement. Build up that money and then take a vacation to the DR later on. JMO though.

O.city 09-23-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443678)
As long as you stick to the resort areas it's fine, if you wonder too far from those established area's it's not. Jamaica is pretty much the scourge of the Caribbean in the eyes of most other countries in the area.

Ok, cool. It's just a quick cheap getaway as the wife and I needed a little break. Hopefully it goes ok

Bowser 09-23-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443678)

What Bwana said. The Jamaicans take great care of their resorts because that's where most of the money is coming into the country from. But once you get away from the resorts, it's about as third world as you can get. Families living in lean-tos and shanties along the highway kind of stuff. If you wander off of the resort, do it during the day and with a group of people if you can. There certainly are exceptions to that rule depending on where you're staying (Rick's Café in Negril is one. Great place, and they let you jump off a cliff there), but just be smart if you want to go explore.

hometeam 09-23-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Been to jamaica too, it was also pretty much a shithole outside of the tourist spots

Dinny Bossa Nova 09-23-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443693)
I have not.

YOLO

Dinny

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443695)
Honestly man....I'd stay where I was at. You've already said that your current job is a great job and you're working toward your retirement. Build up that money and then take a vacation to the DR later on. JMO though.

Voice of reason! That's what I'm looking for. The job I just got is ****ing huge. Everyone is telling me to jump on it, but ****, the risk vs reward is there. I think it leans on the risky side.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 12443692)
I wouldn't even consider it without them paying to send you down there to check it out first, presuming you've never been there.

I've never been there and a 3 day trip to meet and greet is essential.

Bowser 09-23-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12443696)
Ok, cool. It's just a quick cheap getaway as the wife and I needed a little break. Hopefully it goes ok

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/Cornhole.jpg

Bwana 09-23-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443682)
Good point.

I can tell you from what I have seen it's the truth. I have witnessed several instances where someone went on vacation to the Caribbean and fell in love with the place. Well no shit, if you're there for a week and you're on vacation, it's kind of hard not to like a place. They get back to the states, sell everything they own and move down there only to find out it's nothing like they expected. The old, "well hell we had no idea about (Fill in the blanks) before we moved down here."

The same thing happens here in Montana up around the Bigfork/Flathead Lake area. There isn't a more beautiful place on earth than the Flathead valley (in the summer.) What people don't realize is it gets inverted most of the winter with cloud cover and half the people are walking around depressed, sucking on the gun barrel for 7 months.

Summer:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...lake-lodge.jpg

Winter
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZcBkAEUYAAfYgp.jpg

Bottom line, do all your homework first.

Donger 09-23-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443711)
I've never been there and a 3 day trip to meet and greet is essential.

Have you ever been to the Caribbean? It can really be hit or miss. I've never been to DR, but my favorite place in the world is exactly the same.

Would the work take you all over the island?

Fish 09-23-2016 11:16 AM

Sounds like a strip club in Tijuana.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12443723)
I can tell you from what I have seen it's the truth. I have witnessed several instances where someone went on vacation to the Caribbean and fell in love with the place. Well no shit, if you're there for a week and you're on vacation, it's kind of hard not to like a place. They get back to the states, sell everything they own and move down there only to find out it's nothing like they expected. The old, "well hell we had no idea about (Fill in the blanks) before we moved down here."

The same thing happens here in Montana up around the Bigfork/Flathead Lake area. There isn't a more beautiful place on earth than the Flathead valley (in the summer.) What people don't realize is it gets inverted most of the winter with cloud cover and half the people are walking around depressed, sucking on the gun barrel for 7 months.

Summer:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...lake-lodge.jpg

Winter
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZcBkAEUYAAfYgp.jpg

Bottom line, do all your homework first.

I'll literally be living on the beach. Really can't leave without large groups of armed men. That's my understanding of the place. Great for 2-3 months and then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 12443734)
Have you ever been to the Caribbean? It can really be hit or miss. I've never been to DR, but my favorite place in the world is exactly the same.

Would the work take you all over the island?

No, I'd be exclusively inside of a resort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12443776)

FINALLY found my calling! LMAO

Bwana 09-23-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12443776)

You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...QL2L3fPw/o.jpg

el borracho 09-23-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Spent about 3 months in Jamaica many years ago. It is a filthy toilet, where you can either a)stay sequestered in the private resorts (while the locals yell at you from the fences) or b)walk the streets enduring endless pestering as the locals try to separate you from your dollars. They will literally follow you for blocks, in your ear the whole time, asking you for money. Even if you paid my way, I wouldn't go back to Jamaica.

RunKC 09-23-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443695)

Agree with Pest here, except I would use my retirement to move back to the Pacific NW and enjoy retirement up there.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443785)
I'll literally be living on the beach. Really can't leave without large groups of armed men. That's my understanding of the place. Great for 2-3 months and then?

I'd pass.

Bowser 09-23-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443813)
I'd pass.

Yep, doesn't sound enticing when you factor that in.

Save up a few bucks and take a trip to Turks and Caicos, but keep chopping wood where you're at now.

Bwana 09-23-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443785)

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, stay put and go on a vacation down there if you must. With that said, that would be down on the list if you are taking a Caribbean vacation.

TimeForWasp 09-23-2016 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Could be fun for a while.

Coochie liquor 09-23-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

I'm going in June, first time on a plane and out of the country. Very excited. I can't wait to go, and gonna hit some Jamaican clubs while there too. So stoked. Which resort/area are you staying at?

Kiimo 09-23-2016 12:02 PM

Laughing at the thought of the DR being anybody's idea of a once in a lifetime chance, meanwhile people there are desperate to move to the states.

Bewbies 09-23-2016 12:25 PM

Learn Spanish, enjoy the culture, and embrace the opportunity. Living abroad for awhile would be a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to experience something completely new.

I'd visit before I committed personally, but if I went down there and thought I'd regret passing when I'm old I'd do it.

Rarely are the greatest memories of your life made up of things you passed on. Or when you play it safe.

wheeler08 09-23-2016 12:27 PM

I went on my honeymoon there and there's no way I'd live there. But that's me. What's important to you as living conditions? I mean if ur a fisherman and you love the ocean then that's great. Do u like riding a moped? There's more of them there than cars. It's a total shit show outside of the resorts. How's your Spanish?? It's just so 3rd world, there's no way I'd live there no matter how nice my house was because it's a dumpster fire every where else u go. If you can't live right next to the ocean, then there's no way. It looks like a knife party every where else

TigeRRUppeRRcut 09-23-2016 12:28 PM

The DR is great for vacationing but it is dangerous outside of the resorts. The resorts are literally designed like a military stronghold where you have to drive thru zigzags off one of the main rounds and go thru at least 2 gates of security. When you go sightseeing away from the resorts, there are military guards all over the place. Outside of those areas, it's one filthy world although not on the level of Haiti...

Hammock Parties 09-23-2016 12:28 PM

You should definitely do the opposite of what I'd do, so go.

KCUnited 09-23-2016 12:31 PM

Missouri is hard to give up. /no one

Rain Man 09-23-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

I don't understand this part. Is that just a startup benefit until you find a place on your own? Is it an annual benefit?

I'd lean against a demotion unless you're literally being given full-time housing in the resort. If it's a full lifestyle change where you'd live onsite that'd be worth strong consideration.

Rain Man 09-23-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12443892)

I can't tell if I miss the biting bugs more or the soulsucking humidity more.

PunkinDrublic 09-23-2016 12:45 PM

While your down there, find a closer so the Royals can get rid of Soria once and for all!

Buzz 09-23-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

I literally just took a job as the Director of Sales

Sounds like a done deal then if you took the job. Where do you find housing after the 60 days, off the resort?

vailpass 09-23-2016 01:42 PM

Do they have no-see-ums there?
If so run don't walk away.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12443910)
I don't understand this part. Is that just a startup benefit until you find a place on your own? Is it an annual benefit?

I'd lean against a demotion unless you're literally being given full-time housing in the resort. If it's a full lifestyle change where you'd live onsite that'd be worth strong consideration.

It's just a startup and then I find housing. There is housing in the safe zone though. Haha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 12444026)
Sounds like a done deal then if you took the job. Where do you find housing after the 60 days, off the resort?

No this would be replacing a job I just accepted which in all actuality would be bad form. I'm already leaning against this. Heavily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12444045)
Do they have no-see-ums there?
If so run don't walk away.

I ****ing hate those things!

Buzz 09-23-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12444072)
No this would be replacing a job I just accepted which in all actuality would be bad form. I'm already leaning against this. Heavily.

Thought I was missing something, I don't think burning the bridge in the position you just took would be a good idea.

Hammock Parties 09-23-2016 03:43 PM

you have to admire the irony of a chefs fan getting a paid relocation to a place called "punta"

MIAdragon 09-23-2016 03:45 PM

Bounce, this is the time in your life you can do these things. Enjoy now.

MTG#10 09-23-2016 03:58 PM

Tell them you want a week paid trip there to check it out, then come home and say no thanks.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-23-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12443892)

Those shot in Chiganistan

Pasta Little Brioni 09-23-2016 04:12 PM

I'm sure it would be nice for awhile

Rain Man 09-23-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 12444228)
Tell them you want a week paid trip there to check it out, then come home and say no thanks.

I'm trying to find a hole in your plan, bot I don't see one.

Coochie liquor 09-23-2016 04:19 PM

What does Mrs Flopnuts say?

Pasta Little Brioni 09-23-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 12444228)

...thread

notorious 09-23-2016 04:46 PM

Punta Cana average temp in January is high of 81 low of 71.

How is the weather in Midwest?

Pasta Little Brioni 09-23-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12444292)
Punta Cana average temp in January is high of 81 low of 71.

How is the weather in Midwest?

I like the changing of seasons. It would be freaky to live somewhere where it's the same year round. Love cool rainy weather too, so definitely an oddball.

notorious 09-23-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12444299)
I like the changing of seasons. It would be freaky to live somewhere where it's the same year round. Love cool rainy weather too, so definitely an oddball.

It would be terrible to be surround by beautiful, half-naked women year round.

:D

I like Spring and Summer. Winter can go **** itself.

stumppy 09-23-2016 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the 1st thing that came to mind.

ThaVirus 09-23-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12444299)

Seasons are overrated

cabletech94 09-23-2016 05:13 PM

why are you still on the planet?

get your ass there, like yesterday..........

:)

stumppy 09-23-2016 05:13 PM

"Sure, I didn't have any condoms but I thought When will I ever be in Jamaica again ?"

notorious 09-23-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12444317)
Seasons are overrated

http://makeameme.org/media/created/Hes-right-you.jpg

Rivermike87 09-23-2016 05:52 PM

I would definitely do it for sure. I was there this summer and as long as you are living in 5 star all inclusive resort you are set. It is however such a poor country- and I mean very very poor- so be careful. The locals are genuinely nice people with heart. However outside the resorts you'll find nothing to be desired as far as landmarks are concerned.

I would do it for the experience. Nice white sandy beaches under the hot unforgiving sun. Dominican Republic is a paradise, do it and don't look back. Also never ever drink their unfiltered water

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-23-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12444212)
you have to admire the irony of a chefs fan getting a paid relocation to a place called "punta"

All I could think of when I saw this thread was "Punta ****a", and how it should be most definitely Chiefs-related in some fashion.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-23-2016 05:59 PM

In any event, it doesn't sound like a place I'd want to work and live.

Maybe visit first.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 07:08 PM

This was exciting as **** this morning, and not anywhere near where my career is headed tonight. I genuinely appreciate all of the feedback from folks. It reads like a humble brag and I apologize for that sincerely. I was literally thinking about it for a few hours and needed some voices of reason. Appreciate it.

excessive 09-23-2016 07:25 PM

"Ok, cool. It's just a quick cheap getaway as the wife and I needed a little break. Hopefully it goes ok"

Got back from a Jamaican vacation in May. Stayed at a resort in Port Antonio, as far as away as you can get from the all inclusives as you can, and it was awesome. If you are staying around Mo Bay, Negril, or Ocho Rios, you are screwed. Get away from the tourist scene and it is incredible. If you're booked in any of the three tourist spots, expect to be inundated with b.s. from the locals. Worst day of the trip was when we stayed at an all-inclusive day prior to our departure. If staying there, stay onsite or use their packages.

MahiMike 09-23-2016 07:52 PM

Go for it. A life unlived is no life.