ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Stupid Tourist Tricks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299890)

Bwana 05-15-2016 07:51 AM

Stupid Tourist Tricks

https://theclassicgentleman.files.wo...92_449580a.jpg

It's off to a fast start already this year! A list of incidents involving people trying to obtain the coveted Darwin Award. I will keep you up to date of all the stupid tourist tricks.

This yesterday: We thought it was cold! (this is a first) LMAO
http://www.ktvq.com/story/31975424/y...ed-it-was-cold

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Lv9bnHmZwlPe12

How this lady lived and was not gored is beyond me: Buy a Powerball ticket lady:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfk1O9_quxs

This from last week: Amazing no one got taken out:
http://www.krtv.com/story/31915893/v...nal-park-video

Much of the time, this is what happens: Fat guy vs Bison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvTHOrTf_Y

At this rate, it should be a record year for goring incidents, Chinese tourists seem particularly clueless. So far no goring's, but it's coming.

If you have any from your area, post them up.

lewdog 05-15-2016 08:17 AM

Where were the tourists from that picked up the bison? My friends on Facebook from Montana were having a field with it. So hilarious.

Bwana 05-15-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12231202)
Where were the tourists from that picked up the bison? My friends on Facebook from Montana were having a field with it. So hilarious.

It didn't say, but the Chinese tourists have been on a roll so far. I'll keep you posted as more information comes out. ROFL My guess is that thing pissed all over the inside of the rental, I would guess there will be a bit of a penalty fee upon returning the rig. "Sir, we are going to have to charge you $1500.00 for the Bison wizz in the back of the minivan!"

kcpasco 05-15-2016 08:33 AM

I'd like to see them try and save a grizzly cub they think is cold.

Dave Lane 05-15-2016 08:35 AM

Then there is this idiot. Rock climbing at 3am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4WDO37UNWsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog 05-15-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12231205)
It didn't say, but the Chinese tourists have been on a roll so far. I'll keep you posted as more information comes out. ROFL My guess is that thing pissed all over the inside of the rental, I would guess there will be a bit of a penalty fee upon returning the rig. "Sir, we are going to have to charge you $1500.00 for the Bison wizz in the back of the minivan!"

ROFL

Bison wizz!

ROFL

Bwana 05-15-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 12231211)
I'd like to see them try and save a grizzly cub they think is cold.

The way things have been going, it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Bwana 05-15-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12231213)
ROFL

Bison wizz!

ROFL

It turned into an expensive trip quickly for the confused tourists. I'll be interested to find out what the dollar amount of the fine was after they showed up with a bison in the back of the minivan at the ranger station. I thought I had see it all regarding tourist's until reading that story this morning.

I mean you know there is going to be numerous goring's "because bison look slow, stupid, seem tame and after all, it is a National park" AKA a big petting zoo in some people's minds. "Worst case scenario, we could outrun that big fat thing, break out the selfie stick and lets stand next to it!" What's even more amazing to me is the people that stalk a grizzly for the close up shot and get the Tim Treadwell treatment.

Donger 05-15-2016 09:52 AM

Heh. Reminds of the tourists who get out of their cars to feed the Bighorn sheep here, particularly on Mt. Evans. It's a loooong way down, flatlander.

POND_OF_RED 05-15-2016 10:27 AM

This brings back a lot of memories. Used to give park tours through Yellowstone and I don't miss it one bit. Tourists are the worst there. We had quite a few guests that actually thought that bear spray was like bug spray that they should spray on themselves as some sort of bear repellant. I really wish I didn't have to correct them sometimes just to see them do it

DaFace 05-15-2016 10:36 AM

These guys are lucky that Mama Bison wasn't around or they probably wouldn't have been in any state to drive away.

rtmike 05-15-2016 01:37 PM

My hometown of Hays, Kansas has a city park with a bison enclosure.

The park was home to many all nighters & more than one occasion some drunk thinks he can ride one.

They ended up replacing the fence to keep the drunks from snuggling up next to one during a chilly morning.

LoneWolf 05-15-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 12231614)
My hometown of Hays, Kansas has a city park with a bison enclosure.

The park was home to many all nighters & more than one occasion some drunk thinks he can ride one.

They ended up replacing the fence to keep the drunks from snuggling up next to one during a chilly morning.

My best friend in high school attended Fort Hays State University. I visited him a few times during his 4 years there. He told me a story about a student getting gored while attempting to tip over a bison one night. I ever knew if the story was true and I always had my doubts because he told the story after we had drank about a dozen fish bowls at The Golden Cue.

Buehler445 05-15-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

GOTTA be the Chinese.

One of the excursions on our cruise for our honeymoon was a bus tour of Catalina island. It wasn't bad. Got to see the sights, some interesting shit. A little perplexing because the island is all about returning it to original ecology after the pigs and goat infestation and the bald eagle ddt thing but they're TOTALLY cool with buffalo even though they aren't indigenous.

Anyway. There were a bunch of Chinese tourists and they totally melted down about the buffalo. They were little specs on the horizon and they were freaking out. Making the dude back up and shit. I'd never seen anything like it.

So then the next year we went to Rushmore and down through the preserves there. And there were Chinese tourists blocking mother****ing traffic to take pictures of ... You guessed it. ****ing buffalo. Wife and I were epic pissed.

So now it's a running joke between us that any time there is stupid shit happening we tell each other there must be buffalo around LOL.

Hell of it is there is a feedlot here that, at least at the time had 15,000 or so buffalo being fed out. Plus there is a herd on grass of a hundred or so. There is no way I could give less of a shit about buffalo. Unless of course I get to see one light one of these ****ers up.

Rain Man 05-15-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 12231323)
This brings back a lot of memories. Used to give park tours through Yellowstone and I don't miss it one bit. Tourists are the worst there. We had quite a few guests that actually thought that bear spray was like bug spray that they should spray on themselves as some sort of bear repellant. I really wish I didn't have to correct them sometimes just to see them do it

I wonder if that would keep the bears away.

rockymtnchief 05-15-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12231731)

Nope. It's not a big enough dose and the theory is that a bear might get curious what the smell is and investigate where it's coming from. A ranger told us that after my buddy sprayed his tent in bear country.

tmax63 05-15-2016 03:59 PM

Nahhh, it's more like sauce on a hot wing to humans.

KChiefs1 05-15-2016 04:05 PM

Love videos like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaFace 05-16-2016 12:56 PM

Well now this just plain sucks.

Quote:

Park rangers euthanize bison calf transported by Yellowstone visitors
After the herd rejected the calf, the National Park Service put it down and warned against interacting with animals
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29...by-yellowstone

BigRichard 05-16-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12233217)

It is possible it was already rejected and that is why they found it alone. Not that I am a huge PETA fan but I would think if they wanted to they could have kept the thing alive and raised it. Or at the least I would think someone would have taken it to hand raise it.

Frosty 05-16-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12231680)
Anyway. There were a bunch of Chinese tourists and they totally melted down about the buffalo. They were little specs on the horizon and they were freaking out. Making the dude back up and shit. I'd never seen anything like it.

We went on a trip several years ago where we went to some of the NPs in Utah (Bryce, Zion) and then the Grand Canyon. When you are in Zion NP, you have to take a bus down the valley, with stops along the way where you get out to see the sights and then just catch the next bus when you are ready to go on.

Anyway, we are on the bus which is overcrowded with mainly Asian tourists. The bus stops suddenly because there is a deer along the roadway. I thought the bus was going to tip over the way they all rushed over to that side of the bus to see the deer. We sat there for quite awhile while they snapped pictures and cooed over this scraggly mule deer. :shake:

Then, when we were leaving the Grand Canyon NP, traffic suddenly comes to a halt because there are some elk along the roadway and this guy just stops his car in the middle of the road to see them. He then jumps out of the car with what I assume is his 7-8 year old daughter so they can try to pet this full sized elk. :facepalm:

displacedinMN 05-16-2016 01:21 PM

Some people don't understand that animals don't need us to rescue them. They did fine without us getting in the way, and will continue to if we leave them alone.

ChiefsCountry 05-16-2016 01:24 PM

I refuse to say anything bad about tourists since the majority of my income comes from them. I will keep my mouth shut but the stories are great.

Frosty 05-16-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12233274)
Some people don't understand that animals don't need us to rescue them. They did fine without us getting in the way, and will continue to if we leave them alone.

But

http://i.imgur.com/5qvgzLd.jpg

Valiant 05-16-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

I was reading a news article that I think it is Greece will be importing Chinese police to help control Chinese tourists since they love doing dumb shit and damaging priceless landmarks.

Chinese people are doing their best to keep the worst national tourist mantle.

Valiant 05-16-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12231680)
GOTTA be the Chinese.

One of the excursions on our cruise for our honeymoon was a bus tour of Catalina island. It wasn't bad. Got to see the sights, some interesting shit. A little perplexing because the island is all about returning it to original ecology after the pigs and goat infestation and the bald eagle ddt thing but they're TOTALLY cool with buffalo even though they aren't indigenous.

So then the next year we went to Rushmore and down through the preserves there. And there were Chinese tourists blocking mother****ing traffic to take pictures of ... You guessed it. ****ing buffalo. Wife and I were epic pissed.

So now it's a running joke between us that any time there is stupid shit happening we tell each other there must be buffalo around LOL.

Hell of it is there is a feedlot here that, at least at the time had 15,000 or so buffalo being fed out. Plus there is a herd on grass of a hundred or so. There is no way I could give less of a shit about buffalo. Unless of course I get to see one light one of these ****ers up.

I get it, they do not have any bison there. When I was doing my thesis in college I came across some old photos of some herds in the plains. There were millions of bison in the photo. Millions it was insane. They were like squirrels. I think they said 30-40million bison at one time was the largest of the population.

Missouri has a decent population.

Otter 05-16-2016 02:28 PM

I ran across this story yesterday while eating lunch and swear the Christ the first thing that came across my mind was the Yellowstone Park stories you were telling me. And now this thread.

Custer State Park visitor hurt by buffalo

CUSTER STATE PARK – Custer State Park officials say a visitor was hospitalized Thursday after suffering injuries while getting too close to a buffalo.

Officials say the visitor was injured along Wildlife Loop Road and was flown to a Rapid City hospital.

Park Superintendent Matt Snyder says buffalo are wild animals, and visitors are urged to keep a safe distance.

Officials didn’t release the person’s name or the extent of the injuries. Park rangers are continuing to look into the incident.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d3f5...28-buffalo.PNG

Custer County South Dakota Emergency Management said on its Facebook page: "DO NOT TRY TO PET THE BUFFALO! A 50 year old woman from Missouri did not heed the warning signs from a 5 year old bull buffalo today in Custer State Park and was gored. She was lifeflighted to Rapid City Regional hospital."

Rain Man 05-16-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12233370)
I ran across this story yesterday while eating lunch and swear the Christ the first thing that came across my mind was the Yellowstone Park stories you were telling me. And now this thread.

Custer State Park visitor hurt by buffalo

CUSTER STATE PARK – Custer State Park officials say a visitor was hospitalized Thursday after suffering injuries while getting too close to a buffalo.

Officials say the visitor was injured along Wildlife Loop Road and was flown to a Rapid City hospital.

Park Superintendent Matt Snyder says buffalo are wild animals, and visitors are urged to keep a safe distance.

Officials didn’t release the person’s name or the extent of the injuries. Park rangers are continuing to look into the incident.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d3f5...28-buffalo.PNG

Custer County South Dakota Emergency Management said on its Facebook page: "DO NOT TRY TO PET THE BUFFALO! A 50 year old woman from Missouri did not heed the warning signs from a 5 year old bull buffalo today in Custer State Park and was gored. She was lifeflighted to Rapid City Regional hospital."

So we now know that the problem is Chinese and Missourians.

Otter 05-16-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12233386)
So we now know that the problem is Chinese and Missourians.

It is the the "show me state". I wonder what the Chinese's problem is?

DJ's left nut 05-16-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 12233239)
It is possible it was already rejected and that is why they found it alone. Not that I am a huge PETA fan but I would think if they wanted to they could have kept the thing alive and raised it. Or at the least I would think someone would have taken it to hand raise it.

That's my thought.

A place I worked at in the summers always had buffalo on their property and those things are just 100 different kinds of stupid but they're also protective as hell. They had to go grab a sick calf once and mamma buffalo ****ed their truck right up as they sprinted back to the truck, put the calf in the bed and got put enough distance between themselves and her to get through the gate and out. If a couple of tourists were close enough to pick that thing up and put it in their SUV, it almost had to have been rejected already.

We had some pretty scary shit go down with those buffalo. One of them flipped a truck over just trying to scratch itself on the fender; hooked a shoulder and tipped the thing over like it was a matchbox car. We had another one jump down into a watering trough with us (the trough was on the downside of a fairly steep hill). I suspect it had no idea we were down there and we definitely didn't realize it had come near us. It hopped down and had us cornered. I gave it a baseball swing with a broom and it startled just enough for us to scramble around it, down the trough and out. Look in the eyes on those things and there's really nothing there. They can hurt people on accident because they're just really really big and really really dumb.

Rain Man 05-16-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12233410)

"Show Me" sounds like it could be a Chinese word. Maybe that's its origin.

Eleazar 05-16-2016 03:38 PM

There's a video on YouTube of someone messing with a buffalo, and it ends with the dude being flipped up into a tree.

Bwana 05-16-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12233482)
There's a video on YouTube of someone messing with a buffalo, and it ends with the dude being flipped up into a tree.

Yeah it's the last link in the OP. That looks like a big old boy and the bison tossed him like a twig.

Bugeater 05-16-2016 06:01 PM

Snapped this pic of a Darwin Award candidate at Yellowstone last year. He was not Chinese btw.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...da&oe=579A143B

KChiefs1 05-16-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12233217)

News has been circulating on social media about people putting a bison calf in their car. The story is true, and its sad conclusion highlights the importance of keeping a safe distance from park wildlife. Here’s the full account:

Last week, visitors were cited for placing a newborn bison calf in their vehicle and transporting it to a park facility because of their misplaced concern for the animal's welfare. In terms of human safety, this was a dangerous activity because adult animals are very protective of their young and will act aggressively to defend them. In addition, interference by people can cause mothers to reject their offspring. In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.

In a recent viral video, a visitor approached within an arm's length of an adult bison in the Old Faithful area. Another video featured visitors posing for pictures with bison at extremely unsafe and illegal distances. Last year, five visitors were seriously injured when they approached bison too closely. Bison injure more visitors to Yellowstone than any other animal.

Approaching wild animals can drastically affect their well-being and, in this case, their survival. Park regulations require that you stay at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all wildlife (including bison, elk and deer) and at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves. Disregarding these regulations can result in fines, injury, and even death. The safety of these animals, as well as human safety, depends on everyone using good judgment and following these simple rules.

Squalor2 05-16-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12233482)

a bronco?

Rain Man 05-16-2016 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 12233694)
Snapped this pic of a Darwin Award candidate at Yellowstone last year. He was not Chinese btw.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...da&oe=579A143B

If he falls in, it'll take a thousand years for him to be digested.

Athis 05-17-2016 07:24 AM

About twenty years ago me and the GF, at the time, took a trip to Yellowstone. There was an epic snowfall that year. So we did a snowmobile tour of a small area of the park. Given the snow fall the roads/paths had been plowed. The Bison were smart enough to use said roads/paths for their use. So deep into our tour we come around a turn and sure enough there are Bison on the road in single file walking. We had to pass within 6 feet of these massive animals only to have one swing his head and grunt at me. Made me a little concerned...the same tour later on, we on our way to a hot spring and had come to a stop. I look over I see a bush and hiding in there was a female Moose and her baby, I had another concern.

kcchiefsus 05-17-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 12233358)
I was reading a news article that I think it is Greece will be importing Chinese police to help control Chinese tourists since they love doing dumb shit and damaging priceless landmarks.

Chinese people are doing their best to keep the worst national tourist mantle.

Living in Korea I've encountered my fair share of ignorant Chinese tourists. Koreans can give them a run for their money when it comes to doing stupid shit though.

kcchiefsus 05-17-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12233410)

They are a country that is still full of uncultured and uncouth people.

Warrior5 05-17-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 12233239)

I'm not even a little PETA fan, and this makes sense to me. How about the Bison place at Fort Hayes mentioned earlier.

There are organizations that probably would have gladly taken this bison; why automatically put it down?

Bwana 05-17-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior5 (Post 12234348)
I'm not even a little PETA fan, and this makes sense to me. How about the Bison place at Fort Hayes mentioned earlier.

There are organizations that probably would have gladly taken this bison; why automatically put it down?

They did another story on it last night. Something tells me the people that gave the calf a joy ride in their rental are in for an expensive lesson.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31988823/w...-not-relocated

Bwana 05-17-2016 08:58 AM

ROFL

These guys are lucky to be alive as well. More guys that visited Yellowstone and left their brains at home.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31986483/m...-national-park

Eleazar 05-17-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12233480)
"Show Me" sounds like it could be a Chinese word. Maybe that's its origin.

That baby bison didn't realize it was actually headed for Bo Ling's Chop Suey Palace

Lzen 05-17-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12233717)
News has been circulating on social media about people putting a bison calf in their car. The story is true, and its sad conclusion highlights the importance of keeping a safe distance from park wildlife. Here’s the full account:

Last week, visitors were cited for placing a newborn bison calf in their vehicle and transporting it to a park facility because of their misplaced concern for the animal's welfare. In terms of human safety, this was a dangerous activity because adult animals are very protective of their young and will act aggressively to defend them. In addition, interference by people can cause mothers to reject their offspring. In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.

In a recent viral video, a visitor approached within an arm's length of an adult bison in the Old Faithful area. Another video featured visitors posing for pictures with bison at extremely unsafe and illegal distances. Last year, five visitors were seriously injured when they approached bison too closely. Bison injure more visitors to Yellowstone than any other animal.

Approaching wild animals can drastically affect their well-being and, in this case, their survival. Park regulations require that you stay at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all wildlife (including bison, elk and deer) and at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves. Disregarding these regulations can result in fines, injury, and even death. The safety of these animals, as well as human safety, depends on everyone using good judgment and following these simple rules.

Why didn't they allow someone to adopt it so that they could eventually slaughter it for the meat? This seems like such a waste.

Lzen 05-17-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12234386)
They did another story on it last night. Something tells me the people that gave the calf a joy ride in their rental are in for an expensive lesson.

http://www.ktvq.com/story/31988823/w...-not-relocated

Ok, that explains why it had to be euthanized.

Pennywise 05-17-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 12234446)
Ok, that explains why it had to be euthanized.

It doesn't explain why they didn't have a cookout.

Lzen 05-17-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennywise (Post 12234474)
It doesn't explain why they didn't have a cookout.

ROFL

lewdog 05-17-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12234403)
ROFL

These guys are lucky to be alive as well. More guys that visited Yellowstone and left their brains at home.

Wish those guys would have gotten 3rd degree burns.

jspchief 05-17-2016 08:19 PM

Didn't the Chinese government have to start running public info campaigns recently telling their citizens it's not ok to defecate in public when visiting other countries? I'm not joking I think that's a real story.

Bwana 05-18-2016 06:17 AM

Looks like the Bison wrangler was a French Canadian from Quebec.......figures.

http://trib.com/news/local/crime-and...766d70fb0.html

tmax63 05-18-2016 06:22 AM

You'd of thought they could of found a buffalo ranch somewhere close that needed a new bloodline that could of taken care of it.

rockymtnchief 05-18-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 12236024)
You'd of thought they could of found a buffalo ranch somewhere close that needed a new bloodline that could of taken care of it.

They won't do that for fear of spreading brucellosis (sp) outside the park to other herds.

rockymtnchief 05-18-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12234403)
ROFL

Those four guys are being fried on social media. Their Facebook pages have been closed and people are chewing their ass on other pages. It seems they have sponsorships for their adventures (Bud Lite being one of them) and people have petitions against them. From what I read yesterday, it sounds like they've gone off the paths at other parks and monuments also.

Bwana 05-18-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 12236030)
Those four guys are being fried on social media. Their Facebook pages have been closed and people are chewing their ass on other pages. It seems they have sponsorships for their adventures (Bud Lite being one of them) and people have petitions against them. From what I read yesterday, it sounds like they've gone off the paths at other parks and monuments also.

Well hell, we need to talk to the Bud Lite boys to see if they will send all the new found sponsor money our way to cover our adventures. :D

rockymtnchief 05-18-2016 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12236041)
Well hell, we need to talk to the Bud Lite boys to see if they will send all the new found sponsor money our way to cover our adventures. :D

:clap: You aint a shittin! I know how to stay on paths, drink beer and not be a douchebag (most of the time)!

rockymtnchief 05-18-2016 07:08 AM

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/galler...2.html/?page=1

What do you know...they're Canadian too.

Quote:

Four Canadian men have become the center of a Yellowstone National Park law enforcement investigation after they posted photos and video of themselves walking on the Grand Prismatic Spring and the nearby crater of the Excelsior Geyser.
The men, tagged on Facebook as Justis Cooper, Alexey Lyakh, Hamish McNab Campbell Cross and Ryker Gamble, have posted extensively in recent weeks about what they dubbed “The Great American Road Trip,” which included a recent stop in Yellowstone.

Dave Lane 05-18-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 12236054)
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/galler...2.html/?page=1

What do you know...they're Canadian too.

I may or may not have stepped off the path a time or two for a photo. Not like they did mind you but a couple steps here or there

I have a rule. If grass is growing there it is safe :D

SAUTO 05-18-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12236212)
I may or may not have stepped off the path a time or two for a photo. Not like they did mind you but a couple steps here or there

Hopefully it isn't an endangered grass...:D

Dave Lane 05-18-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12236216)
Hopefully it isn't an endangered grass...:D

Actually several rangers there know me and I'm sort of a minor celebrity there. One of the rangers told me, its better to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

So I stick to the rules :D

SAUTO 05-18-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12236221)
Actually several rangers there know me and I'm sort of a minor celebrity there. One of the rangers told me, its better to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

So I stick to the rules :D

My life motto.

DaFace 05-18-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12236212)

That probably works when you're not at altitude. I can't even count the number of times I've wanted to throw rocks at people walking on the tundra in Rocky Mountain National Park (often in order to approach an elk more closely).

It's infuriating.

DJ's left nut 05-18-2016 02:29 PM

So yellowstone folks - educate me here.

I presume the reason we do not walk on the spring is because it would interfere with the algae blooms that give the spring its color?

I mean, to me it looks like a fairly benign, if hot, body of water that probably isn't going to be badly disturbed by human presence. At least not any more so than countless other natural features in the nation that we allow people to go traipsing about. I think of Yosemite in particular as a place just full of stuff where people are allowed to go just about anywhere that won't kill them (and sometimes places that will).

Algae blooms are pretty much impossible to really damage so long as the nutrients that feed them remain in the water. Seeing as how those nutrients are likely coming from deep within the earth, i figure we can't do much to disturb that.

I'm sure I'm incredibly wrong here, I'm just curious as to why I'm wrong and what it is I don't understand.

lewdog 05-18-2016 02:53 PM

Both groups are Canadians.

Shocker.

There's a reason I ****ing hate Canada and it starts with the people!

Rain Man 05-18-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12236622)

I presume the reason we do not walk on the spring is because it would interfere with the algae blooms that give the spring its color?

I mean, to me it looks like a fairly benign, if hot, body of water that probably isn't going to be badly disturbed by human presence. At least not any more so than countless other natural features in the nation that we allow people to go traipsing about. I think of Yosemite in particular as a place just full of stuff where people are allowed to go just about anywhere that won't kill them (and sometimes places that will).

Algae blooms are pretty much impossible to really damage so long as the nutrients that feed them remain in the water. Seeing as how those nutrients are likely coming from deep within the earth, i figure we can't do much to disturb that.

I'm sure I'm incredibly wrong here, I'm just curious as to why I'm wrong and what it is I don't understand.

I think it's primarily because you can step in the wrong spot and collapse the dirt so that you sink knee deep into boiling water.

DJ's left nut 05-18-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12236694)
I think it's primarily because you can step in the wrong spot and collapse the dirt so that you sink knee deep into boiling water.

I didn't think it was that hot around the edges; that's why the algae can grow out there (and why it's so blue in the center; extremely hot where it's flowing out, makes it sterile there and thus very blue). In the area where they were walking, I figure you'd just be at 'hot bath' temperatures.

I totally get not wanting a tide of tourists just walking through there, but it seems unlikely to me that these guys could've actually done any real damage. Hell, it seems unlikely to me that they couldn't take a couple of groups out there daily to 'see the spring' and guide them apart from the liability issues associated with taking anyone onto a shifting mud surface.

This just seems like a lot of people are upset about all the damage these guys could've done but I really don't think they could do much; algae's sturdy shit.

eDave 05-18-2016 03:06 PM

I try very hard NOT to look like a tourist.

Buehler445 05-18-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12236299)
That probably works when you're not at altitude. I can't even count the number of times I've wanted to throw rocks at people walking on the tundra in Rocky Mountain National Park (often in order to approach an elk more closely).

It's infuriating.

I so need to come visit. I'll throw rocks. I'm not scared. We just need to leave the wives at home. Mine might not be happy if I bounce a rock off some dudes dome. :D

jspchief 05-18-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12236622)

A huge number of people go to Yellowstone every year. One or two people leaving the path of the popular areas likely doesn't hurt anything. But if thousands of people did it, everything would eventually be trampled to dirt and mud. So instead they create designated paths to contain the impact of thousands of humans to specific areas.

This is just my guess.

scorpio 05-18-2016 04:16 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-gored-...ry?id=31095299

Jesus ****ing christ.

Quote:

A teenage girl visiting Yellowstone National Park suffered serious injuries when she tried to pose for a photo next to a bison.

The 16-year-old Taiwanese exchange student and her host family were hiking near Old Faithful Geyser on Friday afternoon when they came across a bison grazing, according to a news release from the National Park Service. The group was between 3 and 6 feet away from the animal at the time.

When the teen turned her back to the bison to have her picture taken, the bison took a few steps and "gored her," the National Park Service reported.

DJ's left nut 05-18-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 12236797)

That's a year old.

But yeah, they'll do that. Don't **** with buffalo.

Bwana 05-18-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12236807)
That's a year old.

But yeah, they'll do that. Don't **** with buffalo.

True but trust me, the bison are just getting warmed up for the start of tourist season. :D More selfie sticks and their owners will go air born before long.

Rain Man 05-18-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12236700)
I didn't think it was that hot around the edges; that's why the algae can grow out there (and why it's so blue in the center; extremely hot where it's flowing out, makes it sterile there and thus very blue). In the area where they were walking, I figure you'd just be at 'hot bath' temperatures.

I totally get not wanting a tide of tourists just walking through there, but it seems unlikely to me that these guys could've actually done any real damage. Hell, it seems unlikely to me that they couldn't take a couple of groups out there daily to 'see the spring' and guide them apart from the liability issues associated with taking anyone onto a shifting mud surface.

This just seems like a lot of people are upset about all the damage these guys could've done but I really don't think they could do much; algae's sturdy shit.

I don't know if it applies in this exact area or not, but presume it does. When I was there a few years ago there were signs saying that the ground was not always what it seemed and you risked serious injury by walking off the paths.

That said, the bison and elk completely ignored the signs and seemed to be fine.

scorpio 05-26-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12236889)
I don't know if it applies in this exact area or not, but presume it does. When I was there a few years ago there were signs saying that the ground was not always what it seemed and you risked serious injury by walking off the paths.

That said, the bison and elk completely ignored the signs and seemed to be fine.

In almost all cases they weigh a lot less than us and have their weight distributed by 4 legs.

Dave Lane 05-26-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12236700)

It's not the damage of one person. If everyone did it the place would be ruined in a week and there would be 100s of people in ER with serious burns. I have lots of cool photos I took there, they sell them in the giftshops there, but I never stepped on anything but grass. If the grass is growing its not hot below it and I wont contaminate the springs. Several of the pools have been stopped up because people threw pennies in the them.

Dave Lane 05-26-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 12247668)
In almost all cases they weigh a lot less than us and have their weight distributed by 4 legs.

Wut?

DaFace 05-26-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12247943)
Wut?

Yeah, true in some cases, but bison and elk aren't exactly light as a feather.

POND_OF_RED 05-26-2016 09:59 PM

I'm sure bison and elk get taken by sinkholes more than you think.

Dave Lane 05-27-2016 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12247951)
Yeah, true in some cases, but bison and elk aren't exactly light as a feather.

Ummmm have you ever seen a bison up close? I mean if you are talking about babies sure, But Elk and bison dwarf us in size.

Hydrae 05-27-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12248141)
Ummmm have you ever seen a bison up close? I mean if you are talking about babies sure, But Elk and bison dwarf us in size.

Then there is the whole small footprint size by comparison to a human. Due to that, the pounds of pressure per square inch is much higher for a hoofed animal. I am quite sure they would be more likely to punch a hole than any human of any size.