ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Skip Bayless leaving ESPN for NBC... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299528)

Stewie 04-26-2016 03:05 PM

Skip Bayless leaving ESPN for NBC...

It's a good thing in my opinion. He had way too much face-time on ESPN for his stupidity.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-skip-bayless/

TimBone 04-26-2016 03:05 PM

And nothing of value was lost.

Al Bundy 04-26-2016 03:06 PM

Who?

eDave 04-26-2016 03:06 PM

NBC just got worse. Whatever will Steven A Smith do now?

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 03:08 PM

Tirico's leaving ESPN for NBC as well.

This is mostly about the Olympics but it's also about the NFL on Thursday & Sunday nights, along with continued growth of NBC Sports Channels.

RunKC 04-26-2016 03:11 PM

Cowherd, Tirico, Bayless

A lot of their best money makers leaving. Seems like all they have left is SVP

Stewie 04-26-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196182)

This is mostly about the Olympics but it's also about the NFL on Thursday & Sunday nights, along with continued growth of NBC Sports Channels.

Tirico is stellar and a good catch for NBC. Bayless is the stuff you fear mowing when it's soft and wet.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 04-26-2016 03:13 PM

I love seeing the NBC and Fox Sports networks growing. ESPN has WAY too much control of the sports media. It's where the clueless fans go to get their dose of Kool-aid for the day.

Toby Waller 04-26-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12196194)
I love seeing the NBC and Fox Sports networks growing. ESPN has WAY too much control of the sports media. It's where the clueless fans go to get their dose of Kool-aid for the day.

Every network is run the same way.

Jerm 04-26-2016 03:20 PM

Figured he was leaving for FOX Sports....

FloridaMan88 04-26-2016 03:22 PM

Brad Nessler is apparently leaving ABC/ESPN for CBS to call NFL games and eventually replace Verne Lundquist on the SEC Football games.

RealSNR 04-26-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196182)

I have no clue who ESPN's going to use for Monday Night now. They might have to start over with somebody completely new

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Waller (Post 12196200)
Every network is run the same way.

Your vast experience in sports broadcasting is evident

:facepalm:

sedated 04-26-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196210)

It does seem like the NFL Network follows the same model as ESPN - beating topics to death and talking-head blowhards arguing.

Stewie 04-26-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 12196207)
Brad Nessler is apparently leaving ABC/ESPN for CBS to call NFL games and eventually replace Verne Lundquist on the SEC Football games.

IMO, there has been no one better than Verne Lundquist calling a college football game, or any other sporting event. He's unassuming, humble and gets out of the way of the game.

RealSNR 04-26-2016 03:34 PM

Oh, and regarding Skip Bayless...

http://41.media.tumblr.com/7860aa18a...h9go1_1280.jpg

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 12196214)
It does seem like the NFL Network follows the same model as ESPN - beating topics to death and talking-head blowhards arguing.

I think that's because they have limited content because it's the NFL only

That said, I expect that to expand somewhat, at least with talent and new segments, once they move into Stan's $2.4 billion dollar palace.

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12196209)
I have no clue who ESPN's going to use for Monday Night now. They might have to start over with somebody completely new

Yeah, it's possible, although I watch those games with the sound off, as I do most NFL games.

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 12196216)
IMO, there has been no one better than Verne Lundquist calling a college football game, or any other sporting event. He's unassuming, humble and gets out of the way of the game.

Verne is certainly a great broadcast but he and Nessler are 1a and 1b, IMO.

Nessler's that good, IMO.

rico 04-26-2016 04:09 PM

I've always wondered if Skip Bayless literally believes some of the stuff that has come out of his mouth and/or he has written, or if it is just a "shtick" that he pulls off. Or both...if he just kind of embellishes his actual thoughts to create a shtick. Whatever the case, I've caught some laughs from watching he and Stephen A. bicker with each other about things like...Tebow. It's been funny, IMO...and funnier yet, is the reaction(s) they get from people who watch them. I've seen a ton of people get their panties in a wad while watching Bayless be Bayless...and it's been funny as hell.

Jerm 04-26-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196249)
Verne is certainly a great broadcast but he and Nessler are 1a and 1b, IMO.

Nessler's that good, IMO.

I've always been a huge Ian Eagle fan...would love to see him get a big time gig ala MNF or the CBS SEC games....

RobBlake 04-26-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12196279)
I've always wondered if Skip Bayless literally believes some of the stuff that has come out of his mouth and/or he has written, or if it is just a "shtick" that he pulls off. Or both...if he just kind of embellishes his actual thoughts to create a shtick. Whatever the case, I've caught some laughs from watching he and Stephen A. bicker with each other about things like...Tebow. It's been funny, IMO...and funnier yet, is the reaction(s) they get from people who watch them. I've seen a ton of people get their panties in a wad while watching Bayless be Bayless...and it's been funny as hell.

It's an act lol the man has been a sports journalist since like the 70s.. He knows what he's doing

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 12196280)
I've always been a huge Ian Eagle fan...would love to see him get a big time gig ala MNF or the CBS SEC games....

I really enjoyed Gus Johnson when he was on CBS but since he's moved to Fox, he's been invisible.

Deberg_1990 04-26-2016 04:22 PM

ESPN will be fine.

They keep hiring big boobs and hot bodies. They know What's up.

Deberg_1990 04-26-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12196279)

It's schtick.

Unfortunately being controversial and acting a buffoon makes you money. He knows what he's doing

srvy 04-26-2016 05:27 PM

Yet boomer and tom Jackson live.
I wouldn't shed a tear if ESPN bit it and just went away.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Simply Red 04-26-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

I think Clutch Gene would do well.

Toby Waller 04-26-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196210)

You obviously don't know what I meant in the first place.
There's like only a few media companies/sources as opposed to like 50 forty years ago. Everyone's under the same umbrella.
He didn't leave because of some negative problem. The wealthy just move pieces around.
People keep saying he sucks but no network is throwing him to the street. So he must be doing what he is told pretty well.

Go smoke more of that weed that makes you so smart

Buehler445 04-26-2016 05:56 PM

Skip Bayless' schtick was sooooooooooo ****ing annoying. I had a lot of respect for Stephen A until he went to first take. Now he is just a more articulate Bayless. Hopefully that model goes and gets fisted.

Trico is good. I enjoy his commentary when he is a guest on radio a lot. Like an awful lot.

Pretty much all ESPN has for talent I Care what they have to say is Russillo. I like SVP most of the time, but I rarely catch him and there is only so much you can do with the sports center model.

LeBatard has some decent take if he's not too busy being reeruned in an effort to "not take himself too seriously."

ESPN sucks.

Three7s 04-26-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196288)
I really enjoyed Gus Johnson when he was on CBS but since he's moved to Fox, he's been invisible.

Gus Johnson is one of my favorite announcers, but FOX has totally misused him.

lawrenceRaider 04-26-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12196190)
Cowherd, Tirico, Bayless

A lot of their best money makers leaving. Seems like all they have left is SVP

SVP is the best of the bunch by a mile.

Titty Meat 04-26-2016 06:39 PM

ESPN is garbage anyway

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12196413)

ESPN sucks.

The only time I've watched ESPN in the past decade is when I had no alternative, i.e., Chiefs, Royals, KU BB and bowl games.

I can honestly say that I've never heard Colin Cowherd or Skip Bayless and if I have, I don't remember either.

I also mute the TV when watching their broadcasts, as I can't tolerate their announcers.

Buehler445 04-26-2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196469)
The only time I've watched ESPN in the past decade is when I had no alternative, i.e., Chiefs, Royals, KU BB and bowl games.

I can honestly say that I've never heard Colin Cowherd or Skip Bayless and if I have, I don't remember either.

I also mute the TV when watching their broadcasts, as I can't tolerate their announcers.

Pretty much where I'm at.

I should say they have a hell of an asset in Jay Bilas. Unfortunately he's always paired with some ****ing douche.

If you ever care tune in to Rusillo and Kannell on ESPN radio. Kannell is meh but Rusillo has really good takes. Mostly because he pretty much refuses to take extreme talking head approach and says takes a reasonable approach almost all the time. It's a good program. It'd be on 10-1 out there.

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12196489)
Pretty much where I'm at.

I should say they have a hell of an asset in Jay Bilas. Unfortunately he's always paired with some ****ing douche.

If you ever care tune in to Rusillo and Kannell on ESPN radio. Kannell is meh but Rusillo has really good takes. Mostly because he pretty much refuses to take extreme talking head approach and says takes a reasonable approach almost all the time. It's a good program. It'd be on 10-1 out there.

I compose and produce music all day so unfortunately, listening to talk radio is not possible.

Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

Dayze 04-26-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12196366)
Yet boomer and tom Jackson live.
I wouldn't shed a tear if ESPN bit it and just went away.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

this.

....and this coming from a guy who used to live and breath for Sunday Nigh Countdown and the MNF package.

Berman is garbage, and is just a microscosm of why ESPN is show god awful

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12196511)
this.

....and this coming from a guy who used to live and breath for Sunday Nigh Countdown and the MNF package.

Berman is garbage, and is just a microscosm of why ESPN is show god awful

Bermman was great in 1986 and I enjoyed him in 1993.

Since then, not so much.

Titty Meat 04-26-2016 07:34 PM

Every show is 2 dudes arguing and they need to move on from vitale. If you aren't of a fan KU basketball there's literally 0 reason to watch ESPN they don't give a **** about the midwest. BTW I haven't watched the college football championship since they moved it to ESPN in like 2011?

EMAW24 04-26-2016 07:44 PM

So who is ESPN's best play-by-play guy now? Off the top of my head it is Dan Shulman.

Dinny Bossa Nova 04-26-2016 07:54 PM

ESPN has gone to shit since Steiner left.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3kU9XwcOIfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze 04-26-2016 08:05 PM

when I was unemployed, I watched my fair share of ESPN and NFLN

....my god....it's complete garbage.
the only thing that was somewhat interesting were the ladies on NFLN.

displacedinMN 04-26-2016 08:27 PM

Maybe CNNSI was just a little ahead of its time.

TEX 04-26-2016 09:00 PM

And Skip sails off to Fox Sports in his douche canoe...

chiefzilla1501 04-26-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 12196559)
ESPN has gone to shit since Steiner left.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3kU9XwcOIfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They had a ton of interesting anchors and personalities back in the day. Dan Patrick, Stuart Scott, even Olbermann was entertaining.

I've always thought Skip Bayless was one of the worst. And that's been confirmed. Skip Bayless sunk ESPN:
http://deadspin.com/5929361/how-espn...im-tebow-story

RobBlake 04-26-2016 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12196413)
Skip Bayless' schtick was sooooooooooo ****ing annoying. I had a lot of respect for Stephen A until he went to first take. Now he is just a more articulate Bayless. Hopefully that model goes and gets fisted.

Trico is good. I enjoy his commentary when he is a guest on radio a lot. Like an awful lot.

Pretty much all ESPN has for talent I Care what they have to say is Russillo. I like SVP most of the time, but I rarely catch him and there is only so much you can do with the sports center model.

LeBatard has some decent take if he's not too busy being reeruned in an effort to "not take himself too seriously."

ESPN sucks.

i like His and Hers just from the laid back style they bring and not being too "serious".

MMXcalibur 04-26-2016 10:21 PM

I like the first three words of the topic title.

Should have stopped there.

Titty Meat 04-26-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12196573)
when I was unemployed, I watched my fair share of ESPN and NFLN

....my god....it's complete garbage.
the only thing that was someone interesting were the ladies on NFLN.

LOL Breer basically said when he was with NFLN he was censored after the Patriots got their asses kicked here.

GloucesterChief 04-26-2016 11:03 PM

The only good thing ESPN has done in the last half decade was 30 for 30.

Squalor2 04-26-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 12196216)

that's plenty fair. i remember Verne more in golf though. massive fan of keith jackson. his football is just proper.

chiefzilla1501 04-26-2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12196952)
The only good thing ESPN has done in the last half decade was 30 for 30.

And then fired the creator of the series

Toby Waller 04-26-2016 11:10 PM

4 pages about a guy you say you hate and never watch.

...think about it

kccrow 04-26-2016 11:27 PM

I don't know if I've ever once agreed with Skip Bayless about anything. That said, I don't watch ESPN much anymore, so I could care less where he lands.

Buehler445 04-26-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12196885)
i like His and Hers just from the laid back style they bring and not being too "serious".

I never seem to catch it. When they've been in other shows they seem to quick to adopt a hard position on something that really doesn't matter or is obviously in the middle somewhere. I'll watch for it though. Is it TV only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Waller (Post 12196962)
4 pages about a guy you say you hate and never watch.

...think about it

Think about what? The fact that you're too stupid to change the posts per page?

Toby Waller 04-26-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12196977)
I never seem to catch it. When they've been in other shows they seem to quick to adopt a hard position on something that really doesn't matter or is obviously in the middle somewhere. I'll watch for it though. Is it TV only?

nice try mr name of school skipping bundle of sticks dweeb

Buehler445 04-26-2016 11:36 PM

I don't even know what that means. But I know there is no way I could do CP at 15 ppp.

Besides that I've spent most of my posts in here talking about Russillo.

DaneMcCloud 04-26-2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Waller (Post 12196982)
nice try mr name of school skipping pillowbitergot dweeb

If your twat was any larger, Buehler would be able to drive two John Deere 600D's through instead of one.

Get lost, troll.

Hoopsdoc 04-27-2016 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12196799)
They had a ton of interesting anchors and personalities back in the day. Dan Patrick, Stuart Scott, even Olbermann was entertaining.

I've always thought Skip Bayless was one of the worst. And that's been confirmed. Skip Bayless sunk ESPN:
http://deadspin.com/5929361/how-espn...im-tebow-story

I liked and miss Stuart Scott.

Also, like others, I don't watch ESPN unless I have to for the game.

Rausch 04-27-2016 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 12197053)
I liked and miss Stuart Scott.

Also, like others, I don't watch ESPN unless I have to for the game.

And since I really only care about the NFL there's no point in sitting through sports center just for that.

The NFL and NASCAR already have their own networks. I can't imagine the NBA and MLB being far behind...

Hoopsdoc 04-27-2016 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12197071)
And since I really only care about the NFL there's no point in sitting through sports center just for that.

The NFL and NASCAR already have their own networks. I can't imagine the NBA and MLB being far behind...

That's a good point on the networks. If all the major sports have their own networks, that'll really chap ESPNs ass.

BlackHelicopters 04-27-2016 08:21 AM

ESPN and Skip Bayless. No1curr.

RobBlake 04-27-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12196977)

Yeah pretty sure it's just tv. Michael smith joked to one of the key & peels guys that they were the token black people on the network lol

lcarus 04-27-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12196288)

I forgot all about Gus Johnson. So you're right. Dude was everywhere for a while there. Even got the Madden game, which actually turned out to be pretty bad. Since the move, I don't even know what he does. Is he dead?

rico 04-27-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12196972)
I don't know if I've ever once agreed with Skip Bayless about anything. That said, I don't watch ESPN much anymore, so I could care less where he lands.

Donger should make an appearance pretty soon. I swear, he inserts a phrase you used in this post, in the search function on a regular basis...

ChiefsCountry 04-27-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12197071)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 12197093)
That's a good point on the networks. If all the major sports have their own networks, that'll really chap ESPNs ass.

Somebody is a little behind. NBA has had their own network since 2003. NHL since 2007. MLB since 2009.

Garcia Bronco 04-27-2016 09:48 AM

NBC is consolidating more and more sports broadcasting.

Rausch 04-27-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12197298)
Somebody is a little behind. NBA has had their own network since 2003. NHL since 2007. MLB since 2009.

As I said, I don't follow anything outside of the NFL.

With all the big 4 having their own networks I can't see ESPN hanging on without their original programming (30 for 30, etc.) much like MTV moved to...

vailpass 04-27-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12196233)

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 04-27-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 12197276)
I forgot all about Gus Johnson. So you're right. Dude was everywhere for a while there. Even got the Madden game, which actually turned out to be pretty bad. Since the move, I don't even know what he does. Is he dead?

He's not dead but after checking his Wiki, it appears that he's withdrawn from most broadcasts. Maybe he's burned out...

lcarus 04-27-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12197341)
He's not dead but after checking his Wiki, it appears that he's withdrawn from most broadcasts. Maybe he's burned out...

Says he's the play-by-play guy for the Milwaukee Bucks on FS Wisconsin. Before that he did a lot of soccer for Fox. He is sorely missed in March Madness and in the NFL in my opinion.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-27-2016 11:37 AM

Tirico is horrible. Good news on nessler to CBS though

RobBlake 04-27-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 12197394)
Says he's the play-by-play guy for the Milwaukee Bucks on FS Wisconsin. Before that he did a lot of soccer for Fox. He is sorely missed in March Madness and in the NFL in my opinion.

Yep. He would make Thursday night football bearable

vailpass 04-27-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12197298)

NBA network? Really?
Why? They can't even get viewers for the playoffs...

milkman 04-27-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Is Mike Patrick still with ESPN?

milkman 04-27-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 12196439)
SVP is the best of the bunch by a mile.

SVP was a useless hack as a radio talk show host.

Dayze 04-27-2016 04:40 PM

maybe ESPN can try to offset this departure by adding 4 or 5 more guys to the NFL Countdown desk so they have a nice round number like 10, all sitting at a desk talking at the same time trying to prove their 'points.

Rasputin 04-27-2016 04:43 PM

The only thing ever worth the time to watch ESPN is when they have a Royals game, then mute the announcers.

Toby Waller 04-27-2016 04:49 PM

And there you have it ladies and gents!
6 pages about a guy no one watches and doesn't care about?

Kind of like a mime doing an oral presentation.....

SAUTO 04-27-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Waller (Post 12198105)

I'm not even at page 2? Quit being a dumbass.

milkman 04-27-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Waller (Post 12198105)

Go count the posts that actually talk about Bayless.

Rasputin 04-27-2016 04:56 PM

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-con...ke-595x359.jpg

Skip Bayless
✔ ‎‎@RealSkipBayless

The Houston Texans will forever regret it if they do not take Johnny Manziel with the No. 1 overall pick. He will haunt them.

Skip Bayless
✔ ‎‎@RealSkipBayless

You'd better believe I'm taking Tebow over ARodg in last 2 mins. I've SEEN Tebow do it again/again/again. ARodg hasn't had many chances.

Skip Bayless
✔ ‎‎@RealSkipBayless

Manti Te'o: the next Ray Lewis.

Skip Bayless
✔ ‎‎@RealSkipBayless

Long term give me Josh Freeman over Cam. Better leader, more consistent passer, more clutch, more poised under fire, more careful with ball.

Skip Bayless
✔ ‎‎@RealSkipBayless

The Redskins will win the NFC East and RG3 will return to being the division's best QB.

Skip Bayless
✔ ‎‎@RealSkipBayless

Throw up the X, Cowboy fans. This is the year.

2:42 PM - 15 Jul 2015

~~~
He said these things now how the **** people take him seriously is seriously beyond comprehension. Seriously.