ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Preacher... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295729)

unlurking 10-30-2015 06:23 PM

Preacher...

Mentioned in the bigger comic book thread, but figure it probably deserves it's own thread.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5nevxKb_jR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 10-30-2015 09:00 PM

AMC? I'm in.

DaveNull 10-31-2015 08:31 AM

Even thought he artwork is pretty terrible, the book itself is great.

unlurking 10-31-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11851413)

Agreed. About 10 issues in, the storyline was good enough to keep the artwork from being distracting. Although most issues I really liked the cover art.

Rausch 10-31-2015 11:52 AM

I love that it's being made but I see no way it works without HBO/Cinemax/Starz backing it.

It's so far beyond normal TV...

Bowser 10-31-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11851580)
I love that it's being made but I see no way it works without HBO/Cinemax/Starz backing it.

It's so far beyond normal TV...

That was my take exactly in the other thread. They'll have room to operate on AMC, but the story will have to still be pretty heavily edited to be told on a non-movie channel.

Baby Lee 11-02-2015 01:14 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A supernatural Preacher, a gun-toting ex, and an Irish vampire: Watch the World Premiere trailer now. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PreacherAMC?src=hash">#PreacherAMC</a> <a href="https://t.co/jWLsXE3OoY">https://t.co/jWLsXE3OoY</a></p>&mdash; PreacherAMC (@PreacherAMC) <a href="https://twitter.com/PreacherAMC/status/661023905771991040">November 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rausch 11-02-2015 01:42 AM

And I do love the casting.

The guy that plays the Irish vampire was excellent in Misfits.

big nasty kcnut 11-02-2015 01:46 AM

Ok except for the ending of the book. I want to check this out.

Deberg_1990 11-02-2015 11:04 AM

I have no idea what this is about, but the trailer was solid. Im in!

DJ's left nut 11-02-2015 02:08 PM

I've liked Dominic Cooper in everything I've seen him in.

I will definitely give this a look...so it will almost certainly be cancelled.

Rausch 11-03-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11860488)
I've liked Dominic Cooper in everything I've seen him in.

I will definitely give this a look...so it will almost certainly be cancelled.

I fully expect this show to have creeper-ratings like Mr Robot. Towards the end of season 1 it will probably have great press and hype...

kepp 11-06-2015 02:16 PM

Looks good. I'll watch.

unlurking 03-26-2016 08:55 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I am proud to present... Arseface. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Preacher?src=hash">#Preacher</a> is coming... <a href="https://t.co/mvFy2YqzhJ">pic.twitter.com/mvFy2YqzhJ</a></p>&mdash; Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/713584262243463169">March 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

keg in kc 04-01-2016 06:53 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P_iwKbI2sSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 05-17-2016 04:39 PM

<iframe width="560" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbDzU5vgApM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unlurking 05-17-2016 05:18 PM

Can't wait!

raybec 4 05-18-2016 05:54 AM

So the Pilot airs Sunday but I didn't see the rest of season one air dates, anyone know?

kepp 05-18-2016 11:09 AM

Gonna be good.

DaveNull 05-18-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12235045)
Can't wait!

!

!

alanm 05-22-2016 09:21 PM

I love this show!! :thumb:

Barret 05-22-2016 11:40 PM

I really liked the pilot and have not read the comics. In the bar fight scene, notice the little smile he kinda gives as he is punching the hell out of dudes.

Also Cassidy is extremely cool, so far all the main characters are well written and Spoiler alert.....Tom Cruise died. :P

Rausch 05-23-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 12241607)

Also Cassidy is extremely cool, so far all the main characters are well written and Spoiler alert.....Tom Cruise died. :P

I absolutely love the actor playing Cassidy.

My guess is he'll steal the show most eps...

Barret 05-23-2016 01:14 PM

Rausch, not sure if you have watch a British show named "Misfits" but he is the crazy character that took over for a beloved crazy character and held the show together for awhile.

Also, for those "Non-Believers" (HA!!) here is the Bar fight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B17tWK7f4OM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

InChiefsHeaven 05-23-2016 03:23 PM

So...this was a comic book as well right? is it ongoing like TWD or is it a known story?

I watched it last night, didn't hate it but it was weird as hell. I'll hang on to it for a bit. Seems like there will be lots of explaining going on.

unlurking 05-23-2016 06:19 PM

Freaking awesome! OK, definitely one of my top 3 shows on TV right now. After just the pilot.

And yes, comic book. Single story. Think 75 issues, or thereabouts.

cabletech94 05-23-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12235999)
So the Pilot airs Sunday but I didn't see the rest of season one air dates, anyone know?

episode 1 (last night) rebroadcasts next weekend (holiday), then starts up the following sunday.
i didn't look deep enough to see how many episodes the season has, one of you smart guys will look it up tho.

slow start, good finish. i know nothing about this comic, so i'll be surprised as i follow.

jimidollar 05-23-2016 06:56 PM

Great start to the series. Plenty of action.

notorious 05-23-2016 09:46 PM

It has my attention.

How in the **** is AMC getting away with this level of graphic violence? ROFL

GloucesterChief 05-23-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 12242281)
So...this was a comic book as well right? is it ongoing like TWD or is it a known story?

I watched it last night, didn't hate it but it was weird as hell. I'll hang on to it for a bit. Seems like there will be lots of explaining going on.

Preacher is done and has been for 16 years.

Bowser 05-23-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12243214)
It has my attention.

Ultra violence on its shows? Acceptable
Swear words up to but not including "****"? Acceptable
Basically pissing on religion of all kinds? Acceptable
BUT NO NAKED BOOBS WE ARE NOT ANIMALS AND HAVE MORALS

kepp 05-24-2016 02:07 PM

"You ready for that noise yet?"

kysirsoze 05-24-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11851413)

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11851439)
Agreed. About 10 issues in, the storyline was good enough to keep the artwork from being distracting. Although most issues I really liked the cover art.

WTF?! Steve Dillon is a genius. The covers were cool and all, but that book was way too tongue in cheek for that serious of a tone. The art adds to the camp and lightens the book perfectly.

keg in kc 05-24-2016 03:41 PM

Watched it this afternoon. Good stuff. Looking forward to the season.

Rausch 05-25-2016 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12243214)
It has my attention.

You ain't seen nothin' yet...

unlurking 05-25-2016 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 12244123)
WTF?! Steve Dillon is a genius. The covers were cool and all, but that book was way too tongue in cheek for that serious of a tone. The art adds to the camp and lightens the book perfectly.

I just didn't enjoy most of the artwork. Especially the facial expressions. Every mouth he draws looks like a clueless buck-toothed inbred idiot trying to figure out what 2 + 2 equals. I would say the best thing about the artwork is that it didn't distract me from the story as I was rarely inclined to pause and admire a panel.

The special effects in Army of Darkness were cheap and crappy. They definitely added to the campy and humorous tone of the movie. That doesn't mean they weren't cheap and crappy.

That said, my one disappointment is that Arseface isn't as off-putting as the artwork made him out to be. The scene where he hugged Jesse would have been fantastic if they cut from Jesse's face to Arseface to show some of that raw meat concoction dribbling down and onto Jesse's back.

BlackHelicopters 05-25-2016 06:31 AM

How about spoiler tags guys? Thank you. DVRed first episode. Episodes return June 5!

DaveNull 05-25-2016 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12245269)
I just didn't enjoy most of the artwork. Especially the facial expressions. Every mouth he draws looks like a clueless buck-toothed inbred idiot trying to figure out what 2 + 2 equals. I would say the best thing about the artwork is that it didn't distract me from the story as I was rarely inclined to pause and admire a panel.

I read all of Preacher in one weekend. This week I found myself going back to read summaries because I didn't retain a lot of the detail about the characters and I think part of the reason why was that I could cruise through the issues because the art was pretty meh. It didn't really click with me how horrible it was until I started reading the Punisher run he drew.

It's so bad.

cabletech94 05-25-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 12245273)
How about spoiler tags guys? Thank you. DVRed first episode. Episodes return June 5!

Everyone dies!!!!!

notorious 05-25-2016 12:26 PM

Stay away from the thread until you've seen the episode.

eDave 05-25-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12245728)
Stay away from the thread until you've seen the episode.

What's to spoil at this point? Other than the death of Tom Cruise.

I lept out of my chair when I saw that. Well done and so funny.

notorious 05-25-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12245911)
What's to spoil at this point? Other than the death of Tom Cruise.

I lept out of my chair when I saw that. Well done and so funny.

That was awesome. ROFL

kysirsoze 05-25-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 12245282)
I read all of Preacher in one weekend. This week I found myself going back to read summaries because I didn't retain a lot of the detail about the characters and I think part of the reason why was that I could cruise through the issues because the art was pretty meh. It didn't really click with me how horrible it was until I started reading the Punisher run he drew.

It's so bad.

Wow. I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just never encountered someone who didn't ****ing love Dillon's work on Preacher.

kysirsoze 05-25-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

The special effects in Army of Darkness were cheap and crappy. They definitely added to the campy and humorous tone of the movie. That doesn't mean they weren't cheap and crappy.

They weren't 'crappy' because they were an intentional choice that served the film. Dillon's work on Preacher served the book in a similar way. I get that it didn't work for you, but this point doesn't really hold up.

Rausch 05-29-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

That said, my one disappointment is that Arseface isn't as off-putting as the artwork made him out to be. The scene where he hugged Jesse would have been fantastic if they cut from Jesse's face to Arseface to show some of that raw meat concoction dribbling down and onto Jesse's back.

This, exactly.

Arseface was constantly slobbering and spilling food out.

And there was a point to the art. A point to the constant drooling 'tards (as you would liked to have put it.)

Pitt Gorilla 05-29-2016 11:47 PM

Loved the pilot. Howard stark and Raina bringing the mcu together!

Pitt Gorilla 06-01-2016 10:09 PM

Are people not watching/loving this show? WTF?

unlurking 06-02-2016 07:36 AM

Yes. Patiently waiting for episode 2.

BlackHelicopters 06-02-2016 07:47 AM

Can't wait for the next episode.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-02-2016 08:26 AM

watched it, keeping it for now, but it didn't blow me away. Not a big comic/graphic novel fan, so the over the top stuff is what I struggle with.

old_geezer 06-02-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12256656)
Are people not watching/loving this show? WTF?

Watched it; never really got into it. :shrug: The only character I really enjoyed was Tulip (she seemed just crazy enough to be very entertaining). I've never read the comics so it's all new to me. I will watch the next episode or two at least because these shows can definitely grow on you once you get used to the characters.

Baby Lee 06-04-2016 02:46 AM

Had one of the songs Johnny did I'm most torn about. It's perfect for him, but it had been such a favorite of mine by Nick for so long, I think I still prefer the original.

Recall, this was the closing song of the pilot of The Sopranos

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x95qPJLr2Aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 06-05-2016 01:30 PM

Watched it last night. Haven't seen the comics, but I can honestly say I didn't know wtf I was watching. Is that goofy assed comet thing still in Cooper or did he transfer it to the dude that cut his heart out?

Other than that can somebody tell me what the **** is going on?

GloucesterChief 06-05-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12261137)
Watched it last night. Haven't seen the comics, but I can honestly say I didn't know wtf I was watching. Is that goofy assed comet thing still in Cooper or did he transfer it to the dude that cut his heart out?

Other than that can somebody tell me what the **** is going on?

It is still in Jesse. It is the Word of God and it makes people do whatever he tells them when he uses it. Literally, as you can tell.

I am going to put some spoilers here:

Spoiler!

Frosty 06-06-2016 09:09 AM

I'm still laughing about the "Did Jesus take your wheel?" line.

Bowser 06-06-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12262346)
I'm still laughing about the "Did Jesus take your wheel?" line.

That was great. I liked this episode more than the pilot.

I'm not sure if I should spoiler this or not, so I'll just err on the side of caution since spoilers are such a potential shitstorm these days...

Spoiler!

GloucesterChief 06-06-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12262400)
That was great. I liked this episode more than the pilot.

I'm not sure if I should spoiler this or not, so I'll just err on the side of caution since spoilers are such a potential shitstorm these days...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

unlurking 06-06-2016 10:09 PM

Great episode. I'm also surprised they introduced Saint of Killers, Fiore, and deBlanc so soon. I'm guessing next week we get the reveal of what's going on.

So far I'm loving the show. Cassidy, Custer, and Tulip were cast perfectly. Looking forward to more Saint of Killers.

Rausch 06-07-2016 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12263678)
Great episode. I'm also surprised they introduced Saint of Killers, Fiore, and deBlanc so soon. I'm guessing next week we get the reveal of what's going on.

So far I'm loving the show. Cassidy, Custer, and Tulip were cast perfectly. Looking forward to more Saint of Killers.

Great ep.

The casting in this show is excellent.

And props for bringing in Rorschach! :D

Baby Lee 06-07-2016 04:34 AM

Another episode, another Johnny Cash cover [Rusty Chain].

Gotta be honest, I'm intrigued but not wowed yet. Ruth Negga is easy on the eyes [liked her since she was in Misfits with Ramsey Bolton]. Cassidy has potential as a Mick version of Buffy's Spike. But that's the thing, I feel like I'm watching a casserole. Everything's a mix of genres and archetypes, but I see the source material more than the new ground thus far. Even the 'Genesis' reminds me of the asteroid from 'You, Me and the End of the World' earlier this year. Hopefully it bakes into something decent.

Rausch 06-07-2016 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12263793)

Gotta be honest, I'm intrigued but not wowed yet. Ruth Negga is easy on the eyes [liked her since she was in Misfits with Ramsey Bolton]. Cassidy has potential as a Mick version of Buffy's Spike. But that's the thing, I feel like I'm watching a casserole. Everything's a mix of genres and archetypes, but I see the source material more than the new ground thus far. Even the 'Genesis' reminds me of the asteroid from 'You, Me and the End of the World' earlier this year. Hopefully it bakes into something decent.

I liked how the comic began much better but I see their point about having to introduce it to general audiences.

And there were a lot of great actors in Misfits. I'm surprised Robert Sheehan hasn't gotten more work here in the states...

unlurking 06-07-2016 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12263793)

Hated Buffy. Cassidy is already better than anything on that craptastic, overrated shitshow. :D

Not sure what you mean with the rest of this? I enjoyed You, Me and the End of the World, but I don't see any similarity. The story was a pretty good mix of different genres, but settled down quite a bit once all the main characters were introduced.

unlurking 06-07-2016 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12263796)
I liked how the comic began much better but I see their point about having to introduce it to general audiences.

And there were a lot of great actors in Misfits. I'm surprised Robert Sheehan hasn't gotten more work here in the states...

I can't imagine what it's like for someone who hasn't read the source material. They are introducing the characters much faster than the comics, but still much slower than a typical TV series.

Rausch 06-07-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12263838)
I can't imagine what it's like for someone who hasn't read the source material. They are introducing the characters much faster than the comics, but still much slower than a typical TV series.

When I read it I immediately thought of a Johnny Cash soundtrack.

The man in black.

Also, in the 2 eps so far I've counted 3 references to Stephen King...

unlurking 06-07-2016 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12263864)
When I read it I immediately thought of a Johnny Cash soundtrack.

The man in black.

Also, in the 2 eps so far I've counted 3 references to Stephen King...

Yeah, I love the use of Cash songs. Hope it continues.

Didn't catch the King references, what were they? I pretty much missed Raina, Stark, and Rorschach too until people pointed them out in this thread. Raina and Stark are insanely obvious, and I have no idea how I missed them!

Rausch 06-07-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12263894)

Didn't catch the King references, what were they?

I'm sure some youtube guy will put out a top 10 on that at some point.

:evil:

Baby Lee 06-07-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12263966)
I'm sure some youtube guy will put out a top 10 on that at some point.

:evil:

I assume you guys caught the FNL reference as well.

Rausch 06-07-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12263975)

****. No.

Regale me...

Baby Lee 06-07-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12264020)
****. No.

Regale me...

I've erased the episode, but if you still have it go back to the sermon he gave in the pilot.

Rausch 06-07-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12264025)
I've erased the episode, but if you still have it go back to the sermon he gave in the pilot.

Ah, the Cowboys. Yeah, that's not much of an easter egg...

Baby Lee 06-07-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12264038)

That's why 'I assume'd.

Rausch 06-07-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12264042)
That's why 'I assume'd.

You've been doing that a lot today.

You tired?...

Baby Lee 06-07-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12264063)
You've been doing that a lot today.

You tired?...

WTF?

I was just saying that I phrased my initial observation 'I assume you guys caught . . .' to indicate that it wasn't a mind-blowing observation, in keeping with your subsequent assessment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12263975)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12264020)
****. No.

Regale me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12264038)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12264042)
That's why 'I assume'd.

I was trying to be agreeable.

**** me, man.

Rausch 06-07-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12264097)
I was trying to be agreeable.

**** me, man.

Calm down Nancy, I'm giving you $3it.

You're one of the 20 or so I still have respect for on here.

And to be honest, a great deal of respect for.

Rausch 06-07-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12264154)
Seems like this place has turned into camps of either hair triggers or howler monkeys.

These things happen.

cabletech94 06-07-2016 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Bowser;12262400]That was great. I liked this episode more than the pilot.

Spoiler!
[/QUOTE

EERRRRMAHGAAAWD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MADE ME CLICK ON THE SPOILERS!!!!!! YOU DIRTY RAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!
:)
i've heard of this series, but i never got into it. seems like there is a whole lot of stuff going on. i'm sure it'll start tying together in the next week or so.
kinda cool, so far.

Sfeihc 06-07-2016 12:31 PM

Okay one episode in and I didn't read the comic and quit reading this thread after the posts about ep. 1. That being said......

The Preacher(Jesse Custer) looks like phobia when I first met him over a decade ago.

kepp 06-07-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 12264319)
Okay one episode in and I didn't read the comic and quit reading this thread after the posts about ep. 1. That being said......

The Preacher(Jesse Custer) looks like phobia when I first met him over a decade ago.

Oh, man...you're right. Enlarge the head a bit and that's him.

Rausch 06-11-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 12264480)
Oh, man...you're right. Enlarge the head a bit and that's him.

I should take my photoshop out of mothballs and put Phil's head and some pink sox on the preacher...

unlurking 06-13-2016 06:59 PM

Slow episode this week. Still good, but missed the action of the first two episodes.