ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 10 can disable pirated games and illegal hardware (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293949)

Mr. Laz 08-16-2015 07:41 PM

Windows 10 can disable pirated games and illegal hardware

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...-hardware.aspx

Microsoft can disable your pirated games and illegal hardware
Atomic

Friday 14 August 2015 | Comment Now
Updated EULA terms let Microsoft invade your Windows 10 computer in search of counterfeit software.

Microsoft's updated European Licence Agreement terms and conditions let it disable any counterfeit software or hardware and, if you're running a Windows 10 computer, you've just agreed to them.

Section 7b – or “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms” – of Microsoft's Services EULA stipulates that it “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

This means that, if you use Windows 10, a Windows phone, or any of Microsoft's other services, Redmond can disable any games you've pirated or devices you've unlawfully hacked.

While it's incredibly clear what Microsoft means by “counterfeit games”, the wording “unauthorised hardware peripheral devices” is a little hazy. Does this mean Microsoft can now block uncertified PC or illegally-modified Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers? Furthermore, Microsoft's EULA doesn't state if it will also disable other counterfeit software, such as cracked versions of Office or Adobe Photoshop, or if it only cares about pirated games.

I've reached out to Microsoft for a comment about these unanswered questions and will update you when more information becomes available.

Video game piracy, or “counterfeit games” as Microsoft puts it, has been a big issue in PC gaming for a long time. Many developers have sought to circumvent it by hard-coding impossible odds into their games, which are only solved by having a purchased activation code on your computer. The same issue is also now becoming prevalent on Android and jailbroken iOS devices. However, under Microsoft's new EULA, Windows 10 Mobile would be able to combat any pirated software a user loads onto their phone – potentially making it an attractive prospect for indie developers scared of having their work stolen.

Interestingly, Microsoft killed off its incredibly unpopular, DRM-heavy, Windows Live Games in Windows 10, and opted to support Steam instead. But, with these new terms and conditions, Microsoft has practically baked DRM into the core of Windows 10.

This article originally appeared at alphr.com

GloucesterChief 08-16-2015 11:04 PM

I am sure hackers are drooling over finding the backdoor MS built in to do this.

Psyko Tek 08-16-2015 11:28 PM

should be done by tomorrow?

lawrenceRaider 08-17-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11665093)
I am sure hackers are drooling over finding the backdoor MS built in to do this.

No kidding. I "upgraded" the laptop we do nothing but check email/etc on, but I'm not going to do my desktop at this point. Though I would say that the laptop running Windows 10 runs smoother at this point than it did with Windows 7. Edge seems like a massive upgrade over IE, though I mostly let Google steal everything by using Chrome.

Fish 08-17-2015 09:57 AM

This is mostly fear mongering nonsense. The only thing Microsoft could possibly legally remove is stuff that requires the Microsoft App Store to run. Which is not a lot, and it isn't even games that are in demand at all. It's not legal for them to uninstall anything other than Microsoft stuff. Likewise with the hardware aspect. They cannot touch something like a jailbroken iPhone or rooted Android device. They simply can't. Their EULA doesn't/can't cover stuff like that.

Quote:

Does this mean Microsoft can now block uncertified PC or illegally-modified Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers? Furthermore, Microsoft's EULA doesn't state if it will also disable other counterfeit software, such as cracked versions of Office or Adobe Photoshop, or if it only cares about pirated games.
The answer to all these questions is emphatically no. It's not possible at all.

Fish 08-17-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11664244)
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/4...-hardware.aspx

Atomic

Friday 14 August 2015 | Comment Now
Updated EULA terms let Microsoft invade your Windows 10 computer in search of counterfeit software.

Microsoft's updated European Licence Agreement terms and conditions let it disable any counterfeit software or hardware and, if you're running a Windows 10 computer, you've just agreed to them.

And what's with this typo? Where did that come from? European Licence(sic) Agreement? European huh?

loochy 08-17-2015 11:29 AM

I have pirated versions of all kinds of stuff, including Microsoft products. Hell, my WINDOWS is prated. Nothing has been disabled.

srvy 08-17-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 11665577)
I have pirated versions of all kinds of stuff, including Microsoft products. Hell, my WINDOWS is prated. Nothing has been disabled.

How did you get win 10 to install free over a pirated copy of win 7 or whatever.

Hell I have a copy or Trimble Geomatics Office for GPS baseline processing that I have kept an old copy of XP on and never bothered to upgrade for fear some the features would not work. Its been confirmed to me it will run fine on win 10. But of course xp was not included on the free update. Its not a big deal to me but if could install free the win 10 id give it a go if not xp does what i need. Its part of my Land Surveying moonlighting package ;)

loochy 08-17-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11665836)
How did you get win 10 to install free over a pirated copy of win 7 or whatever.

Hell I have a copy or Trimble Geomatics Office for GPS baseline processing that I have kept an old copy of XP on and never bothered to upgrade for fear some the features would not work. Its been confirmed to me it will run fine on win 10. But of course xp was not included on the free update. Its not a big deal to me but if could install free the win 10 id give it a go if not xp does what i need. Its part of my Land Surveying moonlighting package ;)

I used a rearm/reset type hack that reset the available trial period in which a valid product key wasn't required. The upgrade installed over it just fine. I was a bit surprised that it didn't deny me.

Fish 08-17-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11665836)

Microsoft doesn't care if your current Win7 is pirated or not. You're still entitled to a free upgrade. They've already stated that. You can install Win10 regardless of your current Win7 status. But if you are using a pirated version, and the key you used doesn't show as genuine, then Win10 will be put into a trial mode for 30 days.

But that really doesn't matter in the long run, as once Win10 is installed, trial mode or not, you can simply use Microsoft Toolkit 2.5.3 to then activate Windows again and life goes on. They want people to upgrade, and they will overlook a lot as long as you continue to run Windows OS.

unlurking 08-17-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11665870)
...They want people to upgrade, and they will overlook a lot as long as you continue to run Windows OS.

...and... You're willing to overlook an OS that by default allows Microsoft to upload all of your private documents and emails to their cloud services, be assigned a unique advertising key, and who knows what else.

I have not installed the upgrade based on the new eula and privacy concerns. Hoping there is enough backlash to change it, but not counting on it. I'm just going off the uproar right now as I've got too much work / RL going on right now to mess with it. 6 months from now I'll look again.
http://i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

Fish 08-17-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11665927)
...and... You're willing to overlook an OS that by default allows Microsoft to upload all of your private documents and emails to their cloud services, be assigned a unique advertising key, and who knows what else.

I have not installed the upgrade based on the new eula and privacy concerns. Hoping there is enough backlash to change it, but not counting on it. I'm just going off the uproar right now as I've got too much work / RL going on right now to mess with it. 6 months from now I'll look again.

Again, the overwhelming majority of the stuff you're describing is completely overblown/misinterpreted. Some of that is flat wrong and was only applicable to Developer Preview versions. Most of that stuff happens already with current versions of Windows 7/8. If privacy concerns prevent you from using Windows 10, then you probably shouldn't be using any Windows OS or Firefox/Chrome.

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11665944)
Again, the overwhelming majority of the stuff you're describing is completely overblown/misinterpreted. Some of that is flat wrong and was only applicable to Developer Preview versions. Most of that stuff happens already with current versions of Windows 7/8. If privacy concerns prevent you from using Windows 10, then you probably shouldn't be using any Windows OS or Firefox/Chrome.

Agree with all of this. It's silly.

unlurking 08-17-2015 03:16 PM

I keep hearing that kind of response a lot. Very similar to the responses many people had about privacy concerns with the PATRIOT Act. It's silly to think the government would care about your data. It's silly.

Asking typical home users to opt-out of these new "features", and then NOT ACTUALLY disabling these features is a bit creepy.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-to-microsoft/

Like I said, I haven't researched it directly and I'm sure there is a lot of overblown stuff. At the same time, there's enough evidence out there to cause concern.

But Microsoft isn't like the government, right? So we don't have to worry?

unlurking 08-17-2015 03:29 PM

Oh, and I'll freely admit I'm probably a little more paranoid than most. I switch from Ubuntu to Mint after that Unity/Amazon crap.

DaveNull 08-17-2015 03:35 PM

Why not make <del>BackTrack</del> Kali your daily driver?

007 08-17-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11665870)
Microsoft doesn't care if your current Win7 is pirated or not. You're still entitled to a free upgrade. They've already stated that. You can install Win10 regardless of your current Win7 status. But if you are using a pirated version, and the key you used doesn't show as genuine, then Win10 will be put into a trial mode for 30 days.

But that really doesn't matter in the long run, as once Win10 is installed, trial mode or not, you can simply use Microsoft Toolkit 2.5.3 to then activate Windows again and life goes on. They want people to upgrade, and they will overlook a lot as long as you continue to run Windows OS.

I was trying to upgrade my downstairs pc but I can't get any download links on it at all. How did you get it installed on a non genuine?

also, wouldn't using that toolkit just get patched my MS anyway? Last I heard they were not allowing hacked versions to be upgraded. Seems like somebody posted that article in the windows 10 thread.

I did find this...

http://www.askvg.com/faq-upgrading-t...nuine-windows/

When Microsoft announced about this free upgrade offer, the company also indicated that pirated or non-genuine Windows users will also be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This news came as a surprise and caused lots of confusion between people as they were unable to understand why should a pirated Windows user be allowed to upgrade to latest Windows version for free?

Now to clear all doubts, Microsoft has officially provided some details about pirated/non-genuine Windows and Windows 10 upgrade offer.
For your convenience, we are providing the official information in form of a frequently asked questions (FAQ) list which will help you in understanding the whole idea easily. We'll try to cover all possible questions and doubts in this article.

So without wasting time lets start the FAQ list:

Q.1. Is it true that pirated or non-genuine Windows versions also get free upgrade to Windows 10?
Ans. Yes. Its true. If you are using a pirated Windows versions (Windows 7/8/8.1), you'll get a prompt or notification to upgrade to Windows 10 when its released to public.

Q.2. So does that mean I'll be able to use Windows 10 forever like a genuine Windows user?
Ans. No. Pirated Windows will get free upgrade to Windows 10 but they'll not be able to activate Windows 10 using their pirated product key or license. They'll still need a genuine Windows 10 license to activate their Windows.

Q.3. So what will happen when pirated Windows users are unable to activate their Windows 10 versions?
Ans. It'll work like a trial version of Windows 10. You'll get a limited period of time e.g. 30 days to use Windows 10 and to activate it. If you don't activate Windows 10 within that grace period, you'll be unable to use it further and you'll not be able to log into Windows 10.

Also a watermark on Desktop will become visible telling you that you are using a pirated Windows version and you should make it genuine by activating it using a genuine license key. The exact text of watermark is not known yet but it might be similar to following:
  • This copy of Windows is not genuine.
  • You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation.
Although it'll not be very hard to remove that watermark from Desktop. People always modify system files using Resource Hacker to get rid of such kind of watermarks.

Q.4. Will there any offer for pirated Windows users to buy Windows 10 genuine license?
Ans. Yes. Microsoft will provide attractive offers to pirated Windows victims so that they can buy a genuine license of Windows 10.
So the bottom line is that pirated or non-genuine Windows users will get the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 but they'll not be able to use it for free. They'll need to activate Windows 10 using a genuine license key, thus they'll need to purchase a genuine copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.

Fish 08-17-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11665957)
I keep hearing that kind of response a lot. Very similar to the responses many people had about privacy concerns with the PATRIOT Act. It's silly to think the government would care about your data. It's silly.

Asking typical home users to opt-out of these new "features", and then NOT ACTUALLY disabling these features is a bit creepy.

Like I said, I haven't researched it directly and I'm sure there is a lot of overblown stuff. At the same time, there's enough evidence out there to cause concern.

Equating Microsoft with the NSA is just dumb. Don't go down that rabbit hole.

Nearly all of those features can absolutely be turned off by doing a Custom Install of Win10 as opposed to the Express install. Doing a custom gives you several pages of toggles in which you can turn nearly all of those things off.

And again, much of that behavior is happening already, right now, with the version of Windows you're using. Using MS OneDrive in any Windows OS enables the same data synching capabilities. Firefox stores all your passwords by default, available to anyone who sits down and navigates to Firefox\Settings\Security\Saved Passwords. There are hundreds of instances like this with stuff people use all the time.

Believe it or not, when Microsoft says they do not transmit any personal or computer information, we don't have to simply cross our fingers and hope they tell the truth. It's not some pandora's box where only MS engineers know WTF is happening inside.

And that said, you should see some of the stuff Apple does like this to keep their ecosystem all nice and communicable....

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11665957)

Do you use Chrome? Firefox? An Android phone? An iPhone?

All of these have similar levels of privacy concerns as Windows 10. It's not that they're unfounded, but just that they're nothing new.

Fish 08-17-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11666017)
I was trying to upgrade my downstairs pc but I can't get any download links on it at all. How did you get it installed on a non genuine?

also, wouldn't using that toolkit just get patched my MS anyway? Last I heard they were not allowing hacked versions to be upgraded. Seems like somebody posted that article in the windows 10 thread.

I did find this...

It's the same exact process regardless of whether your current Windows install is genuine or not. The determining factor to having the Win10 upgrade icon in your system tray is whether you're up to date on MS updates or not.

And if you don't want to do all the Windows update crap to get up to date to make the upgrade icon appear, you can always go the manual route. Follow these instructions, and it will tell you how to manually upgrade, and even do a clean install if you want: http://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-...indows-update/

NOTE: If you do a clean install, it will ask you for a license number, or give you the option for trial mode. If you don't have a license key, you can choose trial mode and then activate it using an activator tool like the one I linked above.

And no, MS will not patch that feature, as it's a necessary feature for software developers and such.

DaveNull 08-17-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Last I heard they were not allowing hacked versions to be upgraded.
Catch 22 for MSFT. Either disallow updates or let there be an ever increasing of botnet members.

Personally I think its a lot more distasteful for Microsoft to push ads and require you to opt out of things on installation than requiring network communication to use Cortana. Find a solid firewall, crank the settings to 11 and you'll be amazed at how "talky" lots of stuff in the OS can be.

If you're really that concerned with the privacy of certain information, you ought to be using an air-gapped machine, bootable USB or a disposable encrypted VM anyway.

Or run an email server in your ****ing basement. Works for Hil, right?

unlurking 08-17-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11666007)
Why not make <del>BackTrack</del> Kali your daily driver?

Mint's my preference for ease of use. Running Kali on several work systems and a personal VM. Coin collecting app and Elements are Win7 (yeah, need to find something else, but these two keep me running at least one instance of Windows).

unlurking 08-17-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11666048)
Equating Microsoft with the NSA is just dumb. Don't go down that rabbit hole.

The point is not to compare Microsoft to NSA, but to AT&T. This is not a rabbit hole that hasn't already been traversed. NSA didn't sweep all that call data directly, they got it from our ISP/telco.

Quote:

Nearly all of those features can absolutely be turned off by doing a Custom Install of Win10 as opposed to the Express install. Doing a custom gives you several pages of toggles in which you can turn nearly all of those things off.
And did you read the article I linked to? Turning them off doesn't seem to actually turn them off completely. And some require enterprise versions to turn off.

Quote:

And again, much of that behavior is happening already, right now, with the version of Windows you're using. Using MS OneDrive in any Windows OS enables the same data synching capabilities. Firefox stores all your passwords by default, available to anyone who sits down and navigates to Firefox\Settings\Security\Saved Passwords. There are hundreds of instances like this with stuff people use all the time.
Agreed, which is one reason I have arkos up and running and am really hoping to move to it soon as a full time private solution.

Also, I'm not talking about what data apps like Firefox are storing locally. There are other mitigating control factors in place for that. I'm only talking about what the vendor is removing/copying from me.

Quote:

Believe it or not, when Microsoft says they do not transmit any personal or computer information, we don't have to simply cross our fingers and hope they tell the truth. It's not some pandora's box where only MS engineers know WTF is happening inside.
Again, read the article. After turning these features off, the author still found his PC communicating back to Microsoft, with much of the traffic encrypted. Can you tell what is inside that traffic?

Quote:

And that said, you should see some of the stuff Apple does like this to keep their ecosystem all nice and communicable....
Oh I know. Not a fan there either.

unlurking 08-17-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11666050)

All of these have similar levels of privacy concerns as Windows 10. It's not that they're unfounded, but just that they're nothing new.

Not quite. Well, Chrome and Android, yeah, ugh there. Firefox doesn't have the same level of access to my personal data.

Come on Blackkphone v2!!!

Almost pre-ordered at DC23, but will wait for some hands on review first.

hometeam 08-17-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11666076)
It's the same exact process regardless of whether your current Windows install is genuine or not. The determining factor to having the Win10 upgrade icon in your system tray is whether you're up to date on MS updates or not.

And if you don't want to do all the Windows update crap to get up to date to make the upgrade icon appear, you can always go the manual route. Follow these instructions, and it will tell you how to manually upgrade, and even do a clean install if you want: http://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-...indows-update/

NOTE: If you do a clean install, it will ask you for a license number, or give you the option for trial mode. If you don't have a license key, you can choose trial mode and then activate it using an activator tool like the one I linked above.

And no, MS will not patch that feature, as it's a necessary feature for software developers and such.

You do realize that there is still tons of info being sent about you to MS even if you turn everything off right? You do realize that most people dont know how to turn the shit off right?

Im wondering why anyone would defend with micrsoft is doing. Sure, it COULD be innocuous, but as we find out time and time again, it doesn't end up being. Not to mention, this is first draft shit, this is first run shit that they are pushing, unless the consumer steps up, it will only get worse and worse as time goes on.

The license is EXTREMELY broad and allows microsoft to do pretty much anything it wants with your data, INCLUDING give it to any government agency without a warrant, allt hey have to do is have 'good faith' that its needed.

Who are Microsofts 'trusted partners' that they are sharing EVERY SINGLE IOTA OF INFORMATION THAT YOU USE YOUR PC FOR?

I shouldn't have to have a deep knowledge of PC's to get microsoft to stop spying on me with my own hardware.

How many normal people know how to go in and edit the hosts file? How many normal people know how to make registry changes?

None.

And thats what it takes to get win10 to stop spying on you.. not just clicking a couple little privacy switches.

"but but but ive done nothing illegal! Why should I care if microsoft has acces to every keystroke I have ever made on win10 and could give it to the government?"

Well, what you are doing might not be illegaL.. YET. Just wait until TPP passes and they make sharing your netflix password punishable with jailtime. How about when they start putting KODI users into a database for suits to be brought against them. How about when they lock down your PC remotely just because they think you might be doing something 'illegal' in some other country.

Slippery ****in slope.

hometeam 08-17-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11666050)

Do web browsers have access to every single file on my PC? How about any encrypted drives? How about every single keystroke I make? Do they deliver ads to me via the OS?

No?

Not really the same thing then.

Same concept, but not the same thing.

Fish 08-17-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 11666388)
You do realize that there is still tons of info being sent about you to MS even if you turn everything off right? You do realize that most people dont know how to turn the shit off right?

Im wondering why anyone would defend with micrsoft is doing. Sure, it COULD be innocuous, but as we find out time and time again, it doesn't end up being. Not to mention, this is first draft shit, this is first run shit that they are pushing, unless the consumer steps up, it will only get worse and worse as time goes on.

The license is EXTREMELY broad and allows microsoft to do pretty much anything it wants with your data, INCLUDING give it to any government agency without a warrant, allt hey have to do is have 'good faith' that its needed.

Who are Microsofts 'trusted partners' that they are sharing EVERY SINGLE IOTA OF INFORMATION THAT YOU USE YOUR PC FOR?

I shouldn't have to have a deep knowledge of PC's to get microsoft to stop spying on me with my own hardware.

How many normal people know how to go in and edit the hosts file? How many normal people know how to make registry changes?

None.

And thats what it takes to get win10 to stop spying on you.. not just clicking a couple little privacy switches.

"but but but ive done nothing illegal! Why should I care if microsoft has acces to every keystroke I have ever made on win10 and could give it to the government?"

Well, what you are doing might not be illegaL.. YET. Just wait until TPP passes and they make sharing your netflix password punishable with jailtime. How about when they start putting KODI users into a database for suits to be brought against them. How about when they lock down your PC remotely just because they think you might be doing something 'illegal' in some other country.

Slippery ****in slope.

No, there is not tons of info being sent to MS. That's not true. The license isn't extremely broad. The OS manufacturer has very specific limitations to personal data privacy, and it's not up to the manufacturer to decide at a whim what those limitations are. Because of federal HIPAA regulations alone, MS can't simply collect any type of data they want. And there are thousands of other such regulations drawn out and already in the books. What you're describing is just not how it works. The government cannot request anything they want because that kind of data collection is not legal or even possible, and if it were occurring it would be pretty easy to tell. The data they collect, if manually turned on, is innocuous. This isn't first draft anything. And to insinuate so is dumb. Microsoft cannot give any such data to the government because they cannot legally collect any such data to give. What they have access to is legally and publicly acknowledged and has been for some time, and cannot be changed simply because of a new OS. It's incredibly dumb to assert otherwise. Microsoft doesn't have access to every keystroke, and believing such a thing is irrational paranoia.

I'm not defending MS at all. I'm just pointing out that some type of data collection occurs with every single OS/device/app/browser you use. MS isn't doing anything any differently than any other major software company. And they're not really doing anything any differently than previous Windows OS versions even. You just clicked yes to the previous 50 EULAs without giving a single **** about any of this or reading a single line of any EULA you've ever accepted. You have no clue what you've accepted without reading.

You don't have to have a system administrator's knowledge of Windows to simply go through the custom install. Let's not act like that takes some kind of post 9 month ITT-Tech degree or anything to click on Custom Install.

Sharing your Netflix password punishable with jailtime? ROFL. WTFingF? ROFL. GTFO here with such nonsense......

DaveNull 08-17-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11666358)
Almost pre-ordered at DC23, but will wait for some hands on review first.

The launch of the first one was a little rough from what I hear.

The tech that's inside of it is pretty cool. Unfortunately based on my address book in Wickr/Signal a black phone would only be a super nerdy way to talk to other super nerds.

unlurking 08-17-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11666848)
The launch of the first one was a little rough from what I hear.

The tech that's inside of it is pretty cool. Unfortunately based on my address book in Wickr/Signal a black phone would only be a super nerdy way to talk to other super nerds.

Yeah, the hardware was pretty weak too. The new specs look much better. Strangely enough, I'm not really worried about my call. I already record everything with CallRecorder. I'm am using TextSecure though (**** VZW's MMS/WiFi problems). Still, would prefer a more robust feature set.

Either way, as long as V2 as a smoother launch, I'll pick one up.

unlurking 08-17-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11666827)

You don't have to have a system administrator's knowledge of Windows to simply go through the custom install. Let's not act like that takes some kind of post 9 month ITT-Tech degree or anything to click on Custom Install.

I just want to point out that IT people tend to have an exaggerated sense of what is "easy" to do with computers. Let's not forget that even with all of the hoopla over Win10 privacy concerns, most end users will never have heard of the problem and will choose the express settings which Microsoft recommends. What non tech person is going to choose custom?

http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...imary.idge.jpg

eDave 08-17-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11666914)
I just want to point out that IT people tend to have an exaggerated sense of what is "easy" to do with computers. Let's not forget that even with all of the hoopla over Win10 privacy concerns, most end users will never have heard of the problem and will choose the express settings which Microsoft recommends. What non tech person is going to choose custom?

http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...imary.idge.jpg

It's 2015 man. If you can't follow an install wizard you are hopeless. Sorry.

Fish 08-17-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11666914)

Every single person regardless of IT level should choose custom install for every piece of software. Common sense.

unlurking 08-17-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11666944)
Every single person regardless of IT level should choose custom install for every piece of software. Common sense.

Have you met anyone offline? Have you seen those reality TV shows that are so popular? You really overestimate the abilities of the average end user.

Fish 08-17-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11666981)
Have you met anyone offline? Have you seen those reality TV shows that are so popular? You really overestimate the abilities of the average end user.

I'm sorry, but click the ****ing button and see what you're installing. It's one click.

unlurking 08-17-2015 09:50 PM

And the settings that require an enterprise license to change? Or a registry key to modified? Or a massive list of server names to be added to your hosts file? It's not just one click.

You really can't be dense enough to think a soccer mom, grandma, or good ol' uncle eddie are going to know shit about doing that. Hell, I'd bet most of those Geek Squad kids do an express install for their customers.

unlurking 08-17-2015 10:01 PM

Oh. And what about that WiFi Sense ****tastic shit?!

Now I have to append "_optout" to my SSID?! Or I can just tell anyone with a Win10 box that no, they're not welcome on my network. **** that bullshit. One thing to **** with Win10 users, but to force non-Win10 users to adjust their networks or network sharing policies?

Sorry for the rant, that one pisses me off.

Fish 08-17-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667061)
Oh. And what about that WiFi Sense ****tastic shit?!

Now I have to append "_optout" to my SSID?! Or I can just tell anyone with a Win10 box that no, they're not welcome on my network. **** that bullshit. One thing to **** with Win10 users, but to force non-Win10 users to adjust their networks or network sharing policies?

Sorry for the rant, that one pisses me off.

Again, that's nothing new at all. Apple went through the same questioning years ago when it became evident they were doing the same thing. Sharing wifi network information. Most phones and tablets do the same thing, right now, automatically.

unlurking 08-17-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667092)
Again, that's nothing new at all. Apple went through the same questioning years ago when it became evident they were doing the same thing. Sharing wifi network information. Most phones and tablets do the same thing, right now, automatically.

Uh, no. They don't.

Please tell me which products specifically share my wifi key with other people.

Do you really understand what WiFi Sense is designed to do?

Fish 08-17-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667125)
Uh, no. They don't.

Please tell me which products specifically share my wifi key with other people.

Do you really understand what WiFi Sense is designed to do?

JFC.... again... WiFi sense requires you to check the box to specifically share your key...

Do you really understand what the optional toggels in this pic are?

http://i57.tinypic.com/15x50cy.jpg

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667139)
JFC.... again... WiFi sense requires you to check the box to specifically share your key...

Do you really understand what the optional toggels in this pic are?

JFC is right. That shit is turned on by default. And it's not something you can control A) per network, or B) per user.

See Dick.
Dick has a network.
Dick disables WiFi Sense.
Dick shares his network with Jane.
Jane has WiFi Sense.
Jane just shared Dick's network with all of her Facebook **** buddy methheads in the trailer park.
Don't be a Dick.

If you don't want all of Jane's shitty friends on your network you have three choices.

1) Append "_optout" to your SSID, although I haven't seen confirmation that this works with Google's "_nomap". Probably not. Oh, and while you're at it, go update your two dozen network devices because why? Because Microsoft said so. **** you Microsoft.

2) Every time you share your network with someone, verify they have WiFi Sense disabled. Constantly watch their screen so they don't enable it. Delete the connection on their device before they leave so they don't accidentally share your key when the next person they visit tells them to turn it on because they're lazy. Repeat next time Jane swings by. **** you Microsoft.

3) Never share your network with guests. **** you Microsoft.

Let's not forget that WiFi Sense is enabled by default.

EDIT:
Oh, and if you go with option 1, you should plan several days in advance apparently...

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/connectivity/how-do-i-opt-my-network-out-of-wi-fi-sense
It can take several days for your network to be added to the opted-out list for Wi-Fi Sense. If you want to stop your network from being shared sooner than that, you can change your Wi-Fi network password. For more information about how to do that, check the documentation for your router or access point.

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:16 PM

Oh wait. Everybody is supposed to already know this. It's simple. Right?

It's just a toggle button. Right?

:(

Fish 08-17-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667176)
JFC is right. That shit is turned on by default. And it's not something you can control A) per network, or B) per user.

See Dick.
Dick has a network.
Dick disables WiFi Sense.
Dick shares his network with Jane.
Jane has WiFi Sense.
Jane just shared Dick's network with all of her Facebook **** buddy methheads in the trailer park.
Don't be a Dick.

If you don't want all of Jane's shitty friends on your network you have three choices.

1) Append "_optout" to your SSID, although I haven't seen confirmation that this works with Google's "_nomap". Probably not. Oh, and while you're at it, go update your two dozen network devices because why? Because Microsoft said so. **** you Microsoft.

2) Every time you share your network with someone, verify they have WiFi Sense disabled. Constantly watch their screen so they don't enable it. Delete the connection on their device before they leave so they don't accidentally share your key when the next person they visit tells them to turn it on because they're lazy. Repeat next time Jane swings by. **** you Microsoft.

3) Never share your network with guests. **** you Microsoft.

Let's not forget that WiFi Sense is enabled by default.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently if you go with option 1, you should plan several days in advance apparently...

JFC seriously... Dick is dumb.

You have to manually opt-in to every single wifi connection. It doesn't share anything unless you opt in. It only shares your wifi passkey if you give it the ability to do so each and every time...

Quote:

First, a bit of anti-scaremongering. Despite what you may have read elsewhere, you should not be mortally afraid of Wi-Fi Sense. By default, it will not share Wi-Fi passwords with anyone else. For every network you join, you'll be asked if you want to share it with your friends/social networks.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...dnt-be-scared/

Fish 08-17-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667187)
Oh wait. Everybody is supposed to already know this. It's simple. Right?

It's just a toggle button. Right?

:(

Actually, yes it is...

See that toggle button right there? Share network with my contacts? See how that's not checked by default?

http://i61.tinypic.com/r2m81x.png

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:22 PM

Yay!

And because Dick has it turned off, he has to share his key manually with specific people who ARE NOW IN CONTROL OF SHARING DICK'S NETWORK.

How the **** can you not understand that some people don't want to hand security control to Microsoft or their guests?!?!

WTF?!?!

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667196)
Actually, yes it is...

See that toggle button right there? Share network with my contacts? See how that's not checked by default?

http://i61.tinypic.com/r2m81x.png

And how does Dick make sure Jane does not check it?

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:25 PM

OK, so the default is not on. I got got by the scaremongering.

I STILL don't want someone else to have the capability to share my network.

Fish 08-17-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667198)
Yay!

And because Dick has it turned off, he has to share his key manually with specific people who ARE NOW IN CONTROL OF SHARING DICK'S NETWORK.

How the **** can you not understand that some people don't want to hand security control to Microsoft or their guests?!?!

WTF?!?!

Blargalblarg! WTF! Manually? How ****ing else would Dick share his key?

Fish 08-17-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667208)
OK, so the default is not on. I got got by the scaremongering.

I STILL don't want someone else to have the capability to share my network.

Then don't give anyone the capability to share your network, dumbass.....

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667209)
Blargalblarg! WTF! Manually? How ****ing else would Dick share his key?

Gaaaaah!

If Dick types his key into a guests computer (because maybe he is worried about security and has a 48 character key that is easier to type himself), Dick has the expectation that he is sharing his network with one person. Yet at the check of a box, that one person can share Dick's network with hundreds or thousands of others.

How does Dick prevent that?

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667215)
Then don't give anyone the capability to share your network, dumbass.....

So. How do you stop a guest user from sharing your network?

Fish 08-17-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667216)
Gaaaaah!

If Dick types his key into a guests computer (because maybe he is worried about security and has a 48 character key that is easier to type himself), Dick has the expectation that he is sharing his network with one person. Yet at the check of a box, that one person can share Dick's network with hundreds or thousands of others.

How does Dick prevent that?

Dick doesn't check the mother****ing box that says Share network with my contacts.

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667219)
Dick doesn't check the mother****ing box that says Share network with my contacts.

How the **** does he stop Jane from doing it?

Fish 08-17-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667222)
How the **** does he stop Jane from doing it?

Stop Jane from doing what? Jane doesn't know the password unless Dick give it to her. The option to share to the user's network isn't available unless the user knows the password to connect to the wifi network. JFC man. Don't give Jane the ****ing password.

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667225)
Stop Jane from doing what? Jane doesn't know the password unless Dick give it to her. The option to share to the user's network isn't available unless the user knows the password to connect to the wifi network. JFC man. Don't give Jane the ****ing password.

So she can't go in and check the box later? There's no "show characters" option? Or are you saying option 2 is the right management technique?

Fish 08-17-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667229)
So she can't go in and check the box later? There's no "show characters" option? Or are you saying option 2 is the right management technique?

Don't give Jane the ****ing password. You don't trust her.

007 08-17-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667232)

I think what he is trying to determine is if he enters his password into another persons computer(doesn't actually tell them what the password is) can that person still click anything that would allow that password to be passed on to other wifi sense users.

My understanding is, no it would not be passed to any other people.

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667232)

So option #3.

Which means likely kicking the kids off the network to keep them from sharing with all their friends when they come over and just accidentally sharing it with the thousands of facebook friends they don't really know but have because, popular.

unlurking 08-17-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667235)
I think what he is trying to determine is if he enters his password into another persons computer(doesn't actually tell them what the password is) can that person still click anything that would allow that password to be passed on to other wifi sense users.

What I've read is that it's a 1 degree of separation control. If it's shared to you, you cannot then share it on. But if it is manually configure in your system, you can share it on. Is that incorrect?

007 08-17-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667239)
What I've read is that it's a 1 degree of separation control. If it's shared to you, you cannot then share it on. But if it is manually configure in your system, you can share it on. Is that incorrect?

I don't use that function on my network so I can't speak directly to your question. I'm just stating what I understand of it. I still defer to Fish on this.

Fish 08-17-2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667235)

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667236)
So option #3.

Which means likely kicking the kids off the network to keep them from sharing with all their friends when they come over and just accidentally sharing it with the thousands of facebook friends they don't really know but have because, popular.

No, guys. See post #39. If you don't turn on Wifi Sense on your own network, other users don't have access to the password to give to anyone else. If you don't trust others with the password, then setup a guest wifi connection. Any OS stores a wifi password once entered. That's not specific to Wifi Sense. If you don't trust the person with the password, then your only option is to setup a guest network.

007 08-17-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667246)
No, guys. See post #39. If you don't turn on Wifi Sense on your own network, other users don't have access to the password to give to anyone else. If you don't trust others with the password, then setup a guest wifi connection. Any OS stores a wifi password once entered. That's not specific to Wifi Sense. If you don't trust the person with the password, then your only option is to setup a guest network.

I don't have anyone I don't trust with my password but I also do not actually tell them the password. I enter it myself and keep it masked from them. I understand that once I enter it, that person can always access my network until 1) I change the password on my router or 2)they wipe the settings from their PC/device.

Your post sounds as if they can still share the password even though they have no idea what it is. My understanding is that they cannot share that password with anyone else unless I specifically tell them what the password is. Which I never do.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667250)
I don't have anyone I don't trust with my password but I also do not actually tell them the password. I enter it myself and keep it masked from them. I understand that once I enter it, that person can always access my network until 1) I change the password on my router or 2)they wipe the settings from their PC/device.

Your post sounds as if they can still share the password even though they have no idea what it is. My understanding is that they cannot share that password with anyone else unless I specifically tell them what the password is. Which I never do.

Yes, they can do that once you enter the password. But that is not a function of Wifi-Sense though in any manner. That's a function of the OS, which is present in Windows XP, and Windows 7 and Windows 8, and Windows 10. Along with mobile OSes. And OS X. That's not a new feature.

You've been doing it without realizing...

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667250)

That's my question as well.

I know they can go see the key themselves. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them being able to share it with all of their contacts by clicking a checkbox later that they likely won't understand the complications of.

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667257)
Yes, they can do that once you enter the password. But that is not a function of Wifi-Sense though in any manner. That's a function of the OS, which is present in Windows XP, and Windows 7 and Windows 8, and Windows 10. Along with mobile OSes. And OS X. That's not a new feature.

No, but what seems to be a new feature is giving them the ability, in a sense, to post your key (well, hash) on facebook by checking a single box.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667259)
That's my question as well.

I know they can go see the key themselves. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with them being able to share it with all of their contacts by clicking a checkbox later that they likely won't understand the complications of.

Again, it's you who has control over that. When you setup your own wifi network, you have the choice of enabling Wifi-Sense on that connection. Not doing so completely prevents anyone else from sharing shit. If you don't enable Wifi-Sense, they don't have the option to share with contacts. You can even enable Wifi-Sense and still uncheck let others share your network...

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:15 AM

OK, so let me try and clarify my question a little.

Network with zero Windows 10 machines. No WiFi Sense enabled devices.

Key is then given to someone new with a WiFi Sense enabled. They can then share that network via WiFi Sense?

Or key is manually entered without checking the box. They can go back later and check the box to share the network?

007 08-18-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667257)

OK, so the answer is I should never let anyone use my network at any time without a guest access setup on my router.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667277)
OK, so let me try and clarify my question a little.

Network with zero Windows 10 machines. No WiFi Sense enabled devices.

Key is then given to someone new with a WiFi Sense enabled. They can then share that network via WiFi Sense?

Or key is manually entered without checking the box. They can go back later and check the box to share the network?

It's dependent on the host of the wifi connection. If the host doesn't enable Wifi-Sense on their own network, then others can't share it even when given the password to get internet access. You can't use Wifi-Sense features if that is not enabled on the host in the first place. If you don't enable Wifi-Sense, then your wifi connection acts like a normal wifi connection. Maybe that's what people are missing..?

Fish 08-18-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667285)
OK, so the answer is I should never let anyone use my network at any time without a guest access setup on my router.

No, don't be obtuse. You should just never enable Wifi-Sense on your own wifi network even if you have a Win10 computer. Problem completely solved.

007 08-18-2015 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667306)
No, don't be obtuse. You should just never enable Wifi-Sense on your own wifi network even if you have a Win10 computer. Problem completely solved.

I think you missed where I said I don't use wifi sense.

I'm backing out of the conversation. I was trying to help get clarity for unlurking but instead I'm just obtuse. LMAO

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667290)
It's dependent on the host of the wifi connection. If the host doesn't enable Wifi-Sense on their own network, then others can't share it even when given the password to get internet access. You can't use Wifi-Sense features if that is not enabled on the host in the first place. If you don't enable Wifi-Sense, then your wifi connection acts like a normal wifi connection. Maybe that's what people are missing..?

Yeah, you are confusing the shit out of me.

The WiFi connection host is the AP. The AP is not WiFi Sense aware. It is completely dependent on the clients that connect to the host. (Maybe semantics getting me here, just clarifying.)

If the SSID is appended with "_optout" at the AP, then that signals Microsoft not to share. Although it weirdly takes a few days based on some backend process, not something that Win10 itself is aware of. That's the only thing that can be done at the AP. Still no WiFi Sense awareness, but basically a robots.txt style optout function (where you put your trust in the spider/crawler).

The clients are the ones with WiFi Sense. So in essence, a dozen Win10 devices that are configured manually to connect to the AP (not connecting from somebody else's WiFi Sense sharing) could all share authentication methods for that network to the contacts on all dozen Win10 devices.

Am I getting that right?

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667312)

I'm backing out of the conversation. I was trying to help get clarity for unlurking but instead I'm just obtuse. LMAO

I get what you meant, but Fish's responses aren't quite as acute as I'd hoped.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667315)
Yeah, you are confusing the shit out of me.

The WiFi connection host is the AP. The AP is not WiFi Sense aware. It is completely dependent on the clients that connect to the host. (Maybe semantics getting me here, just clarifying.)

If the SSID is appended with "_optout" at the AP, then that signals Microsoft not to share. Although it weirdly takes a few days based on some backend process, not something that Win10 itself is aware of. That's the only thing that can be done at the AP. Still no WiFi Sense awareness, but basically a robots.txt style optout function (where you put your trust in the spider/crawler).

The clients are the ones with WiFi Sense. So in essence, a dozen Win10 devices that are configured manually to connect to the AP (not connecting from somebody else's WiFi Sense sharing) could all share authentication methods for that network to the contacts on all dozen Win10 devices.

Am I getting that right?

Bolded. Wifi-Sense is client based. You get that right? If a computer isn't running Win10, it isn't even capable of any Wifi-Sense capabilities. A wifi router isn't made "Wifi-Sense" capable. That's all strictly OS. And more strictly limited to Win10 client.

The clients are the ones with Wiif-Sense. The router is not. Hence, if the host computer never enables Wifi-Sense on it's own network, those features aren't available. It's the host computer Wifi-Sense connections that are used, not the router in any way.

Fish 08-18-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11667312)

Well if you don't use Wifi-Sense, then there is zero chance of anyone else sharing your SSID network key without you giving it to them. Problem solved.

unlurking 08-18-2015 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667338)
Well if you don't use Wifi-Sense, then there is zero chance of anyone else sharing your SSID network key without you giving it to them. Problem solved.

This is what I've been trying to get to.

Guru may not use it, but if he allows a guest to connect that does use it that guest can then share the connection via WiFi Sense.

So yes, his comment about never letting anyone access his network was a valid one since he likely cannot control whether a guest uses WiFi Sense.

It's not about Guru using WiFi Sense. It is about other clients using WiFi Sense.

EDIT:
I'm going to crash. But for now I'm just going to assume that this post is correct. I don't know how many more times I can re-word the question.

Fish 08-18-2015 01:00 AM

Maybe to phrase it a different way... if you upgrade your computer to Win10, what actually changes regarding your network? Do you think upgrading your client PC changes how the network router works in any way? Would upgrading an individual PC change the router to then use Wifi-Sense capabilities and all of a sudden start communicating that data when it previously didn't? Does that really make sense?

007 08-18-2015 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11667338)

That is what I was saying. Your answers have been so wordy and confusing you had me doubting what I already knew.

hometeam 08-18-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11666827)
No, there is not tons of info being sent to MS. That's not true. The license isn't extremely broad. The OS manufacturer has very specific limitations to personal data privacy, and it's not up to the manufacturer to decide at a whim what those limitations are. Because of federal HIPAA regulations alone, MS can't simply collect any type of data they want. And there are thousands of other such regulations drawn out and already in the books. What you're describing is just not how it works. The government cannot request anything they want because that kind of data collection is not legal or even possible, and if it were occurring it would be pretty easy to tell. The data they collect, if manually turned on, is innocuous. This isn't first draft anything. And to insinuate so is dumb. Microsoft cannot give any such data to the government because they cannot legally collect any such data to give. What they have access to is legally and publicly acknowledged and has been for some time, and cannot be changed simply because of a new OS. It's incredibly dumb to assert otherwise. Microsoft doesn't have access to every keystroke, and believing such a thing is irrational paranoia.

I'm not defending MS at all. I'm just pointing out that some type of data collection occurs with every single OS/device/app/browser you use. MS isn't doing anything any differently than any other major software company. And they're not really doing anything any differently than previous Windows OS versions even. You just clicked yes to the previous 50 EULAs without giving a single **** about any of this or reading a single line of any EULA you've ever accepted. You have no clue what you've accepted without reading.

Sharing your Netflix password punishable with jailtime? ROFL. WTFingF? ROFL. GTFO here with such nonsense......

That is EXACTLY what is in the TPP. Filesharing and copyright law is about to become a bigtime criminal act, not just a civil nuisance. Including but not limited too, letting your buddies use your HBO go password.

And no, windows 7 sends NO data on you to microsoft (unless you opt in to customer experience index with explicit consent). None, no telemetry.

AND YES, it DOES take someone with some know-how to get your win10 to stop reporting to microsoft.

TUrn off every privacy setting. Go ahead, ill wait.

Ok now see if your win10 stopped talking to microsoft. It didnt? Oh, wait but.. microsoft REALLY needs the OS to send information on what you are doing, where you are shopping, download updates that you dont need or want (for windows 'apps'.. which you have turned off) and more.

Not only is it a privacy nightmare, but its a SECURITY nightmare as well. I cant fathom why anyone would want to give microsoft a free pass on this stupid, stupid, STUPID business model.

hometeam 08-18-2015 07:36 AM

What happens when somebody figures out how to set up a mobile router that takes advantage of wi-fi senses shitty design to deliver malware to any PC that connects to it?

'OMG TURN OFF WI FI SENSE'

yea well there are 50 million copies of win 10 out there. How many people wont becuase they dont know how, dont care, or think they need it?

Most of them.

You can come back to this thread later and see how right I am after people figure out security vulnerabilities and wreak some major havoc.. all because win10 wants to sell you ****in knick knacks and toilet paper and ipods.

Just Passin' By 08-18-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11667342)
This is what I've been trying to get to.

Guru may not use it, but if he allows a guest to connect that does use it that guest can then share the connection via WiFi Sense.

So yes, his comment about never letting anyone access his network was a valid one since he likely cannot control whether a guest uses WiFi Sense.

It's not about Guru using WiFi Sense. It is about other clients using WiFi Sense.

EDIT:
I'm going to crash. But for now I'm just going to assume that this post is correct. I don't know how many more times I can re-word the question.

Do the smart thing. Avoid the upgrade until Microsoft backs off with the nonsense. And don't believe the ridiculous comparisons to FF, et. al..

Problem solved.