ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Gregg Marshall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291488)

dtrain 03-23-2015 12:12 PM

Gregg Marshall

Alabama prepared to off him $3 mill + I hope he doesn't take it would be a bad career move!!!

Bleacher Report

Chiefspants 03-23-2015 12:15 PM

I would be surprised if Tejas doesn't make a big push as well.

the Talking Can 03-23-2015 12:19 PM

texas should double any offer

he'd be great for the big 12

POND_OF_RED 03-23-2015 12:19 PM

Since when did doubling your salary become a "bad career move"

ChiefsCountry 03-23-2015 12:24 PM

He has turned down other job offers before that were similar to Alabama. He has a good thing going at Wichita, unless its a true blue blood like Kentucky or Duke I don't see Marshall leaving.

Jimmya 03-23-2015 12:26 PM

He'll win more at Wichita than Bama, but heading to Texas would be great for him.

Reerun_KC 03-23-2015 12:27 PM

Would love to see what he could do at Tejas...

Saul Good 03-23-2015 12:29 PM

I think he goes to Texas, but Alabama is going to make him turn down one hell of an offer. I've been saying for a few years now that the SEC schools (with the unfortunate exception of Mizzou) are going to start becoming VERY SERIOUS about basketball.

ct 03-23-2015 02:04 PM

i think he stays 1 more year

alpha_omega 03-23-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrain (Post 11399507)
Alabama prepared to off him $3 mill + I hope he doesn't take it would be a bad career move!!!

Bleacher Report

3+ million is NOT a bad career move.

Prison Bitch 03-23-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11399542)
I think he goes to Texas, but Alabama is going to make him turn down one hell of an offer. I've been saying for a few years now that the SEC schools (with the unfortunate exception of Mizzou) are going to start becoming VERY SERIOUS about basketball.

Why? You said basketball doesn't matter.

LoneWolf 03-23-2015 02:27 PM

Marshall isn't leaving to go to an average SEC school as it pertains to basketball. I had the opportunity to play golf with him last spring and this question came up in conversation. He loves Wichita, but he's also a realist. If he leaves, it will be for one of the blue blood schools like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc....or if he gets an offer from a school with the potential to be one of the best teams in the country year after year, like Texas.

Andoverer 03-23-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11399769)
Marshall isn't leaving to go to an average SEC school as it pertains to basketball. I had the opportunity to play golf with him last spring and this question came up in conversation. He loves Wichita, but he's also a realist. If he leaves, it will be for one of the blue blood schools like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc....or if he gets an offer from a school with the potential to be one of the best teams in the country year after year, like Texas.

My greatest desire is for Marshall to just stay period, but I would hope at the very least he stays on at WSU one more year to finish up with Baker, Wessel, and VanVleet in their senior year. After that I could see him moving on to Texas or somebody similar with the deepest of pockets and that has the nucleus of a good team already in place.

HemiEd 03-23-2015 03:59 PM

This comes up every year, and it is part of having a successful HC at a Mid Major.

After the Cohen and Eddie Fogler disaster that stripped the program of its roots, I doubt the money guys in Wichita like Tom Devlin let money become a reason for him leaving.

One of my good friends follows the Shocks to almost every game on the road (on his way to Ohio right now) and has spent significant quality time with Marshall. He says Marshall is going nowhere.

Prison Bitch 03-23-2015 04:56 PM

"A man is only as faithful as his options"

Ceej 03-23-2015 05:09 PM

Everyone has a price.

Deberg_1990 03-23-2015 05:18 PM

KU when Self leaves for the NBA

Chiefspants 03-23-2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11400080)

He hasn't struck me as a huge fan of our program.

Old Dog 03-23-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11400080)

Don't believe that is going to happen until Popovich retires.

ChiTown 03-23-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 11400106)
He hasn't struck me as a huge fan of our program.

I don't believe that would be a great fit for either Marshall or the Program.

WilliamTheIrish 03-23-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11400051)
"A man is only as faithful as his options"

Exactly right.

And if you're a responsible AD, you have a list of up and comers or HCIW ready as soon as the rumors start to circulate.

Zebedee DuBois 03-23-2015 06:41 PM

Count me in as thinking Texas would be a great spot for him.
They can dump a bunch of money on him, and they already have all the resources you could want.
How the heck they allow that program to underperform every year is unfathomable.

He could go into there and start winning tomorrow.

GoShox 03-23-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 11399967)
This comes up every year, and it is part of having a successful HC at a Mid Major.

After the Cohen and Eddie Fogler disaster that stripped the program of its roots, I doubt the money guys in Wichita like Tom Devlin let money become a reason for him leaving.

One of my good friends follows the Shocks to almost every game on the road (on his way to Ohio right now) and has spent significant quality time with Marshall. He says Marshall is going nowhere.

I think there's an offer out there somewhere that HCGM wouldn't refuse. But a lot of speculation comes from people that don't know what he values and just look at the dollar signs, which means the speculation is pretty much useless.

People should also know that Anthony Grant (Alabama's former coach) and Marshall are good friends. This could also impact his decision on whether to take a job at Alabama.

GoShox 03-23-2015 06:51 PM

Also, there's this misconception that all of Marshall's success is due to the recruiting class of Baker and Van Vleet.

The year before Van Vleet joined the program (Baker was a redshirt freshman), Wichita State dominated their league and got a 5 seed. They got gimmicked out of the tournament by VCU, but had they played anyone else, probably would've gone far. That team was probably better than the Final Four team the next year. Marshall also has arguably his best recruiting class coming in this year. Anyone expecting Wichita State to descend back into the abyss after next year is going to be plenty surprised.

notorious 03-23-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 11400227)
Count me in as thinking Texas would be a great spot for him.
They can dump a bunch of money on him, and they already have all the resources you could want.
How the heck they allow that program to underperform every year is unfathomable.

He could go into there and start winning tomorrow.

Jesus.

Self at Texas would be frightening.

threebag 03-23-2015 07:08 PM

With the way WSU and it's program is running the money is just as much there in Wichita as it would be anywhere else. Ask the Tom Devlins and the KOCH brothers there are deep pockets tied to the university.

Prison Bitch 03-23-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11400245)
Jesus.

Self at Texas would be frightening.

Why would it be any more frightening than at Kansas?

Marshall at Texas....now thats a frightening thought.

GoChargers 03-23-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 11399524)
Since when did doubling your salary become a "bad career move"

When you can get pretty much any open job you want and still get more money. He'd be dumb to go to a football school that doesn't give a crap about basketball.

threebag 03-23-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11400274)
Why would it be any more frightening than at Kansas?

Marshall at Texas....now thats a frightening thought.

It would be hard to buy a longhorns hat.

tk13 03-23-2015 07:19 PM

Only possible catch with Texas is that they'll still be a football school, no matter what he does. It'd never be like a Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, etc. He'd certainly get the resources to win though.

Deberg_1990 03-23-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 11400308)
Only possible catch with Texas is that they'll still be a football school, no matter what he does. It'd never be like a Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, etc. He'd certainly get the resources to win though.

Rick Barnes continues to do less with more every year at Texas and still no pressure to lose his job. There is zero expectations of basketball at Texas.

Buehler445 03-23-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Billy Donovan has done outstanding things at a football school.

Buehler445 03-23-2015 10:31 PM

As far as Marshall goes, as long as he doesn't epic tank, he's got a lifetime contract. That may be worth something to him. For ****s sake, douchebags in this very forum want Self gone because he only won his 11th straight conference championship. Coaching at a Blue Blood would be incredibly pressure packed. After UK lost to Robert Morris and they were losing half their games, you bet there mother****ers wanting Cal gone...2 years after their last title. (My neighbor has family down there) He may not want that.

Also, at Wichita State he can get guys like Baker who will work for him, versus getting a guy like Marcus ****ing Foster. He can take a chance, where even at a mid-level program like KSU, Weber can't tell Foster to go get ****ed by an elephant. If guys like Baker, Wessel, Carter dick off, they're going away, and if they suffer for it, Marshall isn't going down.

If Marshall goes to UT, he'll be expected to land 5* recruits. I don't know if he can get those guys. I'm pretty sure guys like Isiah Taylor don't want to press and bring the consistent defensive intensity that Marshall requires. Maybe he wouldn't require it if he had the talent, but those are all questions.

Anyway, I have little doubt Marshall would wreck shit at a joint like UT, but it isn't guaranteed. Some guys prefer one in the hand vs 2 in the south end of a northfacing longhorn.

Reerun_KC 03-23-2015 11:22 PM

Buehler u nutty ****er . LOL!

duncan_idaho 03-24-2015 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11400644)
As far as Marshall goes, as long as he doesn't epic tank, he's got a lifetime contract. That may be worth something to him. For ****s sake, douchebags in this very forum want Self gone because he only won his 11th straight conference championship. Coaching at a Blue Blood would be incredibly pressure packed. After UK lost to Robert Morris and they were losing half their games, you bet there mother****ers wanting Cal gone...2 years after their last title. (My neighbor has family down there) He may not want that.

Also, at Wichita State he can get guys like Baker who will work for him, versus getting a guy like Marcus ****ing Foster. He can take a chance, where even at a mid-level program like KSU, Weber can't tell Foster to go get ****ed by an elephant. If guys like Baker, Wessel, Carter dick off, they're going away, and if they suffer for it, Marshall isn't going down.

If Marshall goes to UT, he'll be expected to land 5* recruits. I don't know if he can get those guys. I'm pretty sure guys like Isiah Taylor don't want to press and bring the consistent defensive intensity that Marshall requires. Maybe he wouldn't require it if he had the talent, but those are all questions.

Anyway, I have little doubt Marshall would wreck shit at a joint like UT, but it isn't guaranteed. Some guys prefer one in the hand vs 2 in the south end of a northfacing longhorn.

Have you watched much AAU basketball?

It's full of high pressure/full court pressure defense. Half-court not as much, but that's something a quality coach can teach.

A lot of basketball players - especially perimeter-based guys - love to press full court, because it leads to turnovers and transition - and that leads to highlight opportunities.

A faster pace of play also leads to more shots for everyone.

My point: I don't think Marshall's style of on-court play is something that would depress his opportunities with 5-star guys.

It would be scary to think what he could do at a school where he could consistently land 4-star, 4-year kids and supplement that with a major talent or two a year like Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Townes.

Andoverer 03-24-2015 05:27 AM

In my opinion, Marshall might be content to roll along with Wichita State and what he has built here until the prime opportunity of opportunities presents itself...... when Coach K at Duke or Roy Williams at North Carolina decide to hang them up. He likely then he would shed the WSU position and take one of those spots. A Blue-Blood school near his southern roots to finish up his coaching career. That's how I see it playing out anyway.

Hound333 03-24-2015 06:34 AM

I think if you GM you leave because you can get better recruits every year at a place like Texas. Sure he has gotten some recruits at WSU but that was more lightning in a bottle as very few expected all those kids to be that good. Im sure his coaching has something to do with it as well but that just makes my point even more. If he gets the right 5 star kids he could become one of those coaches on the level of Self/K/Cal/Roy.

I think he will have too many down years every now and then at WSU where you might not make the tourney to end up a hall of fame type coach. At Texas his down years would be like Self's down years when your still a top 15 team.

Buehler445 03-24-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11400729)
Have you watched much AAU basketball?

It's full of high pressure/full court pressure defense. Half-court not as much, but that's something a quality coach can teach.

A lot of basketball players - especially perimeter-based guys - love to press full court, because it leads to turnovers and transition - and that leads to highlight opportunities.

A faster pace of play also leads to more shots for everyone.

My point: I don't think Marshall's style of on-court play is something that would depress his opportunities with 5-star guys.

It would be scary to think what he could do at a school where he could consistently land 4-star, 4-year kids and supplement that with a major talent or two a year like Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Townes.

I haven't watched aau ball. And he could very well recruit like a bamf. I'm just saying he hasn't.

Has Barnes been fired yet?

Brock 03-24-2015 07:48 AM

It's a given that he'll leave someday but it isn't going to be for some school like Texas. If he wanted that he would have went to Missouri when they backed the truck up to his front door.

Andoverer 03-24-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11400839)
It's a given that he'll leave someday but it isn't going to be for some school like Texas. If he wanted that he would have went to Missouri when they backed the truck up to his front door.

and Cal, and Tennessee, and S. Carolina. And that's the ones we know about

Andoverer 03-24-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound333 (Post 11400792)
I think if you GM you leave because you can get better recruits every year at a place like Texas. Sure he has gotten some recruits at WSU but that was more lightning in a bottle as very few expected all those kids to be that good. Im sure his coaching has something to do with it as well but that just makes my point even more. If he gets the right 5 star kids he could become one of those coaches on the level of Self/K/Cal/Roy.

I think he will have too many down years every now and then at WSU where you might not make the tourney to end up a hall of fame type coach. At Texas his down years would be like Self's down years when your still a top 15 team.

Marshall's recent history and trajectory

2007-2008..... 11-20 first year at Wichita St.
2008-2009..... 17-17
2009-2010..... 25-10 NIT loses first round
2010-2011..... 29-8 Wins NIT
2011-2012..... 27-6 NCAA loses first game to VCU
2012-2013..... 30-9 NCAA Final Four loses to Louisville the eventual champs
2013-2014..... 35-1 NCAA #1 seed loses to Kentucky
2014-2015..... 30-4 NCAA sweet sixteen and still going

I believe he's doing quite alright in Wichita. Plus his star still seems to be rising here. Why on earth mess up a good thing?

dtrain 03-24-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 11399722)
3+ million is NOT a bad career move.

If he wants to win it is.

Chief_For_Life58 03-24-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 11400199)
I don't believe that would be a great fit for either Marshall or the Program.

Were gettin shaka when bill leaves

ChiefaRoo 03-24-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

I've lived in Memphis, Wichita and Austin. Austin is a distant third in comparison to the interest in College Basketball than either of the other two towns/States. TX is a Football state. I have trouble finding decent leagues for my kid to play BBall at the Grade School level. Grade School football camps last 6 weeks in the summer and people plan their lives around getting their kid in shape. I've also been to several Texas BBall games. The place is rarely full regardless of rank. For a city of this size its amazing the apathy and lack of interest.

Predarat 03-24-2015 11:34 AM

Heard he is going to Texas A and M if they fire their coach.

Brock 03-24-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 11401136)
Heard he is going to Texas A and M if they fire their coach.

Makes less sense than ut.

DJ's left nut 03-24-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11400839)

That didn't actually happen.

Sadly, folks from his camp said he probably would have come to Missouri had they backed the truck up to his front door.

The AD and Curators refused to do so.

Money was exactly the reason Mizzou didn't get Greg Marshall and instead hired probably the single worst coach in Division I basketball.

Predarat 03-24-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11401141)
Makes less sense than ut.

My source on that is just a drunkin couch blogger so it probably won't happen.

Brock 03-24-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11401157)
That didn't actually happen.

Sadly, folks from his camp said he probably would have come to Missouri had they backed the truck up to his front door.

The AD and Curators refused to do so.

Money was exactly the reason Mizzou didn't get Greg Marshall and instead hired probably the single worst coach in Division I basketball.

You are probably right, all I'm saying is Marshall has turned his nose up at a lot of money in the past.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-24-2015 12:45 PM

Was told by a person very close to the program is Marshall isnt leaving unless its blue blood school where basketball is king, and he would prefer that school being in the carolinas. He said money isnt a issue for him, he has all the money that he could ever want. He also said Mizzou pretty much gave him a blank check and told him to write the amount and of course he declined.

Chiefspants 03-24-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 11401249)
He also said Mizzou pretty much gave him a blank check and told him to write the amount and of course he declined.

I've heard that Missouri's boosters actually refused to do this, but who could blame them when their prodigal son was waiting at the gates?

Saul Good 03-24-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 11401249)
Was told by a person very close to the program is Marshall isnt leaving unless its blue blood school where basketball is king, and he would prefer that school being in the carolinas. He said money isnt a issue for him, he has all the money that he could ever want. He also said Mizzou pretty much gave him a blank check and told him to write the amount and of course he declined.

Your source is an idiot. None of that is true.